HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Is anything possible with Carey Price in net?

Old
02-03-2013, 08:09 PM
Mrb1p

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habcentric View Post
For us to challenge for the cup it has to be a whole set of circumstances going our way. No injuries, everyone working together, price playing out of his mind and of course a little luck. But like the magic run a few years ago with Halak in nets, anything is possible.
Price doesnt need to play out of his mind. Playing out of his mind would be like shutting down all the teams in the playoff. He's always been a key contributor, he's always been a solid goalie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
Errr I beg to differ.
OOooh, that's why you hate on Eller, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainIginla View Post
Carey is getting better and better every game he is surprisingly becoming one of the best goalies in the league at only what, 24? Is he signed long term? He is the franchise.
Surprisingly? He was last year, he was two years ago(IMO the best. two years ago.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
Possibly, but not until Gal turns into a 80+ point player. Next year I hope.
Gally is on pace for 72 points on a full season so far. Good enough ?

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 08:14 PM
Maliki2

Quote:
OOooh, that's why you hate on Eller, lol.
Your right because Eller is smoking up the league just like last year!

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 08:20 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I've always believed in Carey Price.

I want to give our team the best possible chance at winning a cup. Yeah, I believe in rebuilding but not for the sake of it... it's a means to an end. As for surrounding him with the best team right NOW, that's less important to me than building a team that can win a cup in a few years from now.

If we can do it now though... great.
Being in the playoffs every year improves the odds of winning the cup. The more times you get a crack at it, the more likely that you will eventually get it.

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 08:22 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
Your right because Eller is smoking up the league just like last year!
Yep, refer to my post in the other thread. If you can't bring up anything intelligent i'll have to block you.

Old
02-03-2013, 08:24 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Price will never be the reason we loose games. In today's hockey, once a goalie hits a certain skill level, it the burden of winning then falls on the other skaters. As it is, no other goalie in the league would significantly make our team better. So yeah, anything is possible with Price in nets, but what exactly will happen falls on how well the rest of the team plays.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 08:27 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
Being in the playoffs every year improves the odds of winning the cup. The more times you get a crack at it, the more likely that you will eventually get it.
As Gretzky said; you miss every shot you don't make

You fail every playoff runs you miss

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 08:31 PM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimehockeyfan999 View Post
but what would we have to give up for ryan clowe..and why would san jose ever trade him, they are obviously gonna be going for it again this year.
We could dangle Eller. Clowe is a UFA as well at the end of the year, so there's a possibility he could be moved if he's going to test the market.

Even make an offer for Clowe, Murray or both... I'm not Bergevin but it's a thought.

Can you picture a lineup like:

Pacioretty-Desharnais- Cole
Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta
Clowe - Galchenyuk- Gallagher
Moen - Prust - Armstrong/White

Markov - Emelin
Gorges - Subban
Murray - Diaz
Bouillon

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 08:36 PM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Yep, refer to my post in the other thread. If you can't bring up anything intelligent i'll have to block you.
Block me then.I posted a better response about who, when and where I have been and met....no replies to that. As I figured.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 08:37 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Not necessarily.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 08:55 PM
CaptainIginla
The king is back

vCash: 515
Quote:
Surprisingly? He was last year, he was two years ago(IMO the best. two years ago.)
He is surprising me. Really impressed.
Depends on your standards, to me one of the best= top5 in the league and dont think Carey was one of the best last year!

CaptainIginla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 08:56 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainIginla View Post
He is surprising me. Really impressed.
Depends on your standards, to me one of the best= top5 in the league and dont think Carey was one of the best last year!
Care to list 5 better than him ? And he was clearly in the top 5 two years ago. He got snubbed from a Vezina and he deserved ATLEAST a nomination and I'm still bitter for it.

Old
02-03-2013, 09:08 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Not necessarily.
Basic math would disagree

Old
02-03-2013, 09:14 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Basic math would disagree
Math doesnt apply here. Well it does in a certain way... Sure you get more chance to go at it but are those chance good quality? Are you the underdog ? For sure ALL the teams should be looking to make the playoff every year(And they are.) But there's to much factor to just bring this down to basic maths..

Qt+Poor quality= Less chance
Poor Qt+Great Quality=Limited shot but of good quality so there might be more chances..
Great Qt+Great QL=Great probabilities.

Old
02-03-2013, 09:17 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Math doesnt apply here. Well it does in a certain way... Sure you get more chance to go at it but are those chance good quality? Are you the underdog ? For sure ALL the teams should be looking to make the playoff every year(And they are.) But there's to much factor to just bring this down to basic maths..

Poor Qt+Great Quality=Limited shot but of good quality so there might be more chances..
Thanks, I'll let you take this one up. I'm not chasing my tail on this.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 09:32 PM
Sorinth

Quote:

Well there's too much parity for any team to ever have a great probability. Obviously the more great players you have the better your odds get but you can be making the playoffs and still add quality players at the same time.

Old
02-03-2013, 09:56 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Well there's too much parity for any team to ever have a great probability. Obviously the more great players you have the better your odds get but you can be making the playoffs and still add quality players at the same time.
Yes yes and yes.
The parity is outstanding, this year, it's amazing.
Let's look at the Hawks or the Pens when they won look at their teams.. How stacked they were.. This is great probability.
Quality players can still be found and developped. It's just easier if you tank.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:17 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Yes yes and yes.
The parity is outstanding, this year, it's amazing.
Let's look at the Hawks or the Pens when they won look at their teams.. How stacked they were.. This is great probability.
Quality players can still be found and developped. It's just easier if you tank.
But even so they probably only have a 10-15% chance during their cup window whereas the lower teams have a 2-3% chance.

So you have to spend 4-5 years at the bottom, and even then there's no guarantee that you end up a contender, you could just as easily end up like Columbus, NYI, Atlanta, etc...

So you have a 50% chance of getting a 4-5 years window of 10-15% chance. Or 10 years at 2-3%, they come up to pretty similar odds.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:53 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
That's a pretty narrow view of the situation. It's true in some basic "boundary-condition" sense, but devoid of any sort of strategy, beyond goosing the throttle on every UFA and trade deadline because "this might be our year."

Having more talent on your team, especially elite talent, probably improves the odds that you'll win the cup in the next few years more than simply squeaking in. If your team is already among the best teams in the league, then what you said is certainly true; however, we are not one of the best teams in the league. It stands to reason that we ought to be improving the chances we do have in any given playoffs, rather than concentrating on making every playoffs.

Drafting isn't the only way to get elite talent into your organization: it just happens to be the best way. Elite talent in your organization is also not a sufficient condition for winning the cup; however, it is necessary.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:14 AM
Jigger77

Albeit it's very, very early, but if you look around the NHL these first few weeks have the makings of a weird season. Obviously with the lockout and the shortened season a team gets hot and another one has a tough stretch and the impacts are greater than normally. But also if you look right now a lot of teams that were supposed to be dominating are struggling and you have others that are surprising. There are no long western road trips this year, it's basically just a sprint and it somehow feels like anyone could take it for some reason.

If you look at Montreal right now there's a good vibe, guys are buying into what is being preached by the coaching staff and you are seeing results. Again, it's early and how long that lasts who knows. We also haven't seen this team play Boston or Pittsburgh who are imo the teams to beat in the East. However, when you have a guy like Price who can steal you the odd game for sure anything can happen. Not to mention it doesn't feel like this team has peaked yet, quite the opposite. It seems to keep getting better as they play more games. Scoring is coming from everywhere which is always a good sign and the D is a big help there. The defense is underrated on this team in my opinion. Almost all of them are good puck movers so the transition game is strong, and that generates a lot of offense. For a quick team like the Habs it makes them that much harder to contain. The D is also surprisingly physical and they block a lot of shots. It's deeper and overall better than I thought it would be so far.

I'm no goalie expert, but I noticed Price seems to be refining his game outside the net handling the puck. It's a huge plus for the Habs. It pretty much forces other teams to either carry the puck in or dump it perfectly in the no-play zone. It compliments the kind of D the Habs have quite well. It helps with breakouts. He also clears the puck out himself on the PK almost once or twice a game. It's like having a 3rd defenseman back there. He seems to see the puck really well through traffic too and sucks up rebounds. He's giving the Habs the kind of goaltending that can steal you games. And so far I don't think the Habs have stolen any of their wins. So yeah, if the team stays relatively healthy, and they keep improving as a group and having special teams success I'd say anything could happen this year.

Last edited by Jigger77: 02-04-2013 at 01:32 AM.
Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:51 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
I've read your posts... I get it, you hate the guy. Fact is he's consistently been our best player.
Fact is, Markov think otherwise...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:15 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Fact is, Markov think otherwise...
Price has been better. If price jumped around when he made saves maybe people would see it but his focus is tremendous. His play had been excellent and if he keeps this up he's a top 5 goalie in the league. Again, that's IF he keeps it up.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:30 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Price has been better. If price jumped around when he made saves maybe people would see it but his focus is tremendous. His play had been excellent and if he keeps this up he's a top 5 goalie in the league. Again, that's IF he keeps it up.
and if Markov keeps it up, he'll be a serious candidate for the Norris.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:31 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
and it's not like Markov is the kind to showboat or anything...

Old
02-04-2013, 01:58 AM
McNuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Shadow View Post
Look at the Hurricanes squad that won the cup. Montreal isn't close to that level.
Yes they are. They had 3 lines that could score (just like the Habs), they did have Eric Staal and Rod Brind'Amour, who were better than anyone on the Habs, but overall their offense was better but not much better.

Their defensemen were actually weaker. They had a very average, if not lower than average, defense. And their goalie was hot at the time, which Price is also capable of.

"Not close", I don't think so

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:44 AM
Nicko999

vCash: 174
Carey Price? I heard the guy is pretty good.

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote