HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The real reasons no UFA wants to come to Montreal???

Old
07-03-2006, 09:58 AM
goalchenyuk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
1.) Taxes are higher in Montreal than anywhere else, as a result we need to overpay to bring guys in. They can take home more of their money somewhere else.

2.) The idiots in the french media like the guys at 110%, Le Journal de Montreal, La Presse, TQS etc have given montreal a bad reputation around the league. Do you think other players don't notice when things like the Koivu situation take place (ie the question about speaking french in the media conference dealing with his eye injury, the leaked photos from his bedside etc...)

3.) The language issue for families. Face it some guys do not want to send their kids to a french school, and some players wives have problems making friends in a city with that language barrier included.

4.) Cold Climate - Think its not a factor? Think again.
wow !
Are we in the 2006 year ? You have soo much bad prejudices ! If there is something too scare people to come to Quebec province , it is probably more because people like you that are given a so bad reputation to our place .

Another posters that is puting all the french medias in the same hat ; stupid and just french minded ...Like if all the players of the NHL were listening to 110 % !!! There are just few peoples in the medias ( Bergeron , Villeneuve and Rejean Tremblay and sometime Raymond ) ) that are talking often about the language issue . NOT THE OTHERS 2000 PEOPLES that are working in the french medias.

Montreal is a bilingual city where you can spend a complete year without speaking one word of french , and a player that comes here can send his children where he wants . There are a lot of Quebecers that are bilingual in the area of the city and we live in a good relationship all together , in most if the areas .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 10:01 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v View Post
wow !
Are we in the 2006 year ? You have soo much bad prejudices ! If there is something too scare people to come to Quebec province , it is probably more because people like you that are given a so bad reputation to our place .

Another posters that is puting all the french medias in the same hat ; stupid and just french minded ...Like if all the players of the NHL were listening to 110 % !!! There are just few peoples in the medias ( Bergeron , Villeneuve and Rejean Tremblay and sometime Raymond ) ) that are talking often about the language issue . NOT THE OTHERS 2000 PEOPLES that are working in the french medias.

Montreal is a bilingual city where you can spend a complete year without speaking one word of french , and a player that comes here can send his children where he wants . There are a lot of Quebecers that are bilingual in the area of the city and we live in a good relationship all together , in most if the areas .

Great post Markov!

Billinguism is the way to go...hell we were able to do it.

Old
07-03-2006, 10:02 AM
furax

Send a message via ICQ to furax
I think they're not coming here because gainey won't give more than a 4 years contract to a UFA...

furax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 10:02 AM
Pat

here's my half-a$$ take on it:

-MEDIA PRESSURE COOKER: everybody knows how it is in montreal. the media is ever so present in the team's entourage. players know their every move on and off the ice is under the radar. make a bad play in montreal and it'll be on every sport show and news paper for days. players don't want to deal with that. great place to win, but a bad place to be losing

-HIGH TAXES: I do think this is another factor. 5 million a year in the US or 5 million a year in QC...which one will you take?

-THE BOOING EFFECT: I don't t know, but I think players don't want to deal with that crap from their home crowd. montreal is a place famous for booing their own.

-THE LANGUAGE ISSUE: I don't see it as cause not to sign here.

anywho, just observations I have....right or wrong they may be

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 10:09 AM
mcphee

Quote:
wow !

All true, but if that reality isn't understood, it becomes a negative. The fact that a player from Oil Derrick Alberta may think that way is offensive,but if it keeps him from signing, it's a problem. It's a responsibility of the org. to sell the benefits of the city. otoh, if someone thinks like that, it may show a lack of character. Anyways, it exists, I wish it didn't, just like I wish we could enjoy the differences better, but if it is indeed a factor, it has to be dealt with.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 10:10 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
wow !
Read my second post, I do not feel that way about Montreal/Quebec, I love the city and province and have had some great times ther over the years. But the fact is some people only go by these prejudices. They have never spent time in the city. Coming to town one day where you have to workout, practice, sleep and play a game just doesn't give you the time to see the reality of the situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
Its all about perception. It only takes one or two idiots to spout off something stupid and act like clowns and do it regularly to spoil the reputation of the whole media. Again its the reputation that matters not the reality in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
We need to have Management show the players this, first hand, get players like Koivu to tell others about the city, dispel the myths that are out there. Because they are out there and it is hurting the team.

Again, while i know the reality of Montreal and the many benefits it entails, does a guy born in Western Canada who has never spent a lot of time there, know how accepting and bilingual the city truly is or does he see a guy like the clowns on 110% trying to convince people that Dagenais is better than Kovalev because he is french?? The team needs to stand up and show people what a great place Montreal is, advance our reputation around the league.

Things like the All-star game can help (not as serious hockey, a time for guys to have fun in town), word of mouth of respected current and former players (koivu is one of the most respected guys in the league, Gilmour, Muller, etc...)

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 10:18 AM
Artie

some thoughts

If you look at the big name signings, for the most part it was non-playoff teams trying to make a splash or playuers re-signing with their own team.

The Habs had a couple of UFA's and Bob signed both, the same can't be said about all the other teams.

While Arnott would have definitely been an improvement over Ribiero, IMHO there are still guys out there that will be available over the next little while that are an improvement over Ribiero and will be more cost effective. (Names that come to mind are guys like Halpern, Sanderson and maybe Freisen. Look lets face it, it will not be dificult to improve on Ribiero as a 2nd line center.

This whole "why players don't want to play in Montreal" thing really is just excuses. At the end of it all do we really need or want to pursue guys that aren't convinced they will want to play in Montreal. Let them play elsewhere for whatever the reason is. There have been plenty of solid NHL veterans that have enjoyed their stay here (Gilmour, Muller, Moog, etc). If a player was concerned about language a quick phone call would easily point them in the right direction. I personally am FED UP and TIRED of that excuse. If that is what players think then go play in Nashville or Atlanta or New York or wherever. As a few posters have mentioned, in this day and age it's getting boorish.

Gainey not signing anybody should not be taken as Gainey not trying or gainey not offering enough. If we know anything about Gainey, it's that he WILL NOT let emotions get the better of him. So while all those around him are losing their heads, he sticks to his guns. Like it or not in the long run I'm more comfortable with that than a reactionary style. There are a lot of teams that have not made any kind of a splash. The sky is not falling just because we haven't signed a free agent.

Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 10:29 AM
Ross MacLochness

Some of you are out to lunch. No one here seems to realize that this group of people here are the most unfit to respond to this question in the entire world. A guy comes here with suggestions as to why NHL players don't want to play in Montreal for the Habs and a bunch of Montreal-dwelling hab fans get on their high horse and shoot down these suggestions. It doesn't get more biased than that.

Some people really have trouble with looking at things from another persons perspective. If there was a forum with strictly NHL players and this question was asked, I gaurantee the responses wouldn't be as rosy as you'd expect. And I'm sorry, but the microscope, be it the English or *gasp* French media, would be near the top of the bloody list for why nobody wants to come here.

I've been to Montreal and loved it, but it certainbly wouldn't be in my first 10 choices if I were an NHL UFA, I'll tell you that much.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 10:33 AM
Artie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Losco View Post
Some of you are out to lunch. No one here seems to realize that this group of people here are the most unfit to respond to this question in the entire world. A guy comes here with suggestions as to why NHL players don't want to play in Montreal for the Habs and a bunch of Montreal-dwelling hab fans get on their high horse and shoot down these suggestions. It doesn't get more biased than that.

Some people really have trouble with looking at things from another persons perspective. If there was a forum with strictly NHL players and this question was asked, I gaurantee the responses wouldn't be as rosy as you'd expect. And I'm sorry, but the microscope, be it the English or *gasp* French media, would be near the top of the bloody list for why nobody wants to come here.

I've been to Montreal and loved it, but it certainbly wouldn't be in my first 10 choices if I were an NHL UFA, I'll tell you that much.

I have no problem with guys who do not want to come here. I think it says more about them than it does the city or team.

But that is strictly my own biased personal opinion.

Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 10:41 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

Yep too much pressure, language, anything.

Its sad that players would rather take it easy and linger in small markets than work hard and attain superstar status. As much as we point out mediocrity, we champion success.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 10:43 AM
Beakermania*

All the debate seems to center on my secondary issues.

Has everyone forgotten about what is far and away the NUMBER 1 ISSUE not to sign in Montreal. SKY HIGH TAXES!!!!

Old
07-03-2006, 10:43 AM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
1.) Taxes are higher in Montreal than anywhere else, as a result we need to overpay to bring guys in. They can take home more of their money somewhere else.

Edit: as McPhee stated 2 and 3 are perceptions and stereotypes of Montreal that some players have and they may not be entirely true in reality. However many hockey players believe them to be the case, and when going after UFAs perception = reality.

2.) The idiots in the french media like the guys at 110%, Le Journal de Montreal, La Presse, TQS etc have given montreal a bad reputation around the league. Do you think other players don't notice when things like the Koivu situation take place (ie the question about speaking french in the media conference dealing with his eye injury, the leaked photos from his bedside etc...)

3.) The language issue for families. Face it some guys do not want to send their kids to a french school, and some players wives have problems making friends in a city with that language barrier included.

4.) Cold Climate - Think its not a factor? Think again.
Maybe you are right, maybe you are wrong.
1) Taxes are higher because there are more services... I know those rich players don't care because each team has its own doctors, but still, if one wants to live in a place that is half american, half european, its the place. By the way, criminality here is much lower than in any other city around the league.

2) It for sure is only due to the FRENCH media... and since there is no FRENCH media anywere else in North America, it is certainly the cause.

3) There are open minds, and there are the others.

4) We are talking about hockey, we are talking about the city that build the NHL (there were at least 3-4 teams in Montreal that won the Stanley Cup before NHL started).

Personnaly, I think the leadership of this team is the problem. I don't see a team on the ice, but many individuals. It might be a reason why no one wants to join the club. Still, no UFA signed with several other clubs......... the thruth is that each UFA can choose between 30 teams.... the odds are not in our favor. Near 33% of the teams are currently in the situation Montreal is in (couldn't sign an UFA from outdise their team)... We already had two UFAs under contract (Huet and Bouillon), and two years ago, Kovalev... fair enough.

Last edited by Kafka: 07-03-2006 at 11:16 AM.
Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 10:46 AM
Habs4Lyfe
Drive for 25

Ovechkin said he LOVES Montreal

Habs4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 10:47 AM
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4Lyfe View Post
don't get me dreaming now

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 10:52 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
don't get me dreaming now
Crosby is dreaming to play in Montreal. Again the 1990-2000 generation... wont be around forever. Things changes in a cycles.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 10:52 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4Lyfe View Post
only 8 more years

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 10:56 AM
A1
Set Sail For Fail

A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 11:11 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
only 8 more years
You mean 6.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 11:32 AM
les Habs

5 We didn't go after any UFA's.

les Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 11:36 AM
tinyzombies

Taxes at that tax bracket are similar to other cities.

All the rest of the stuff doesn't make sense to me. A player doesn't care about that stuff. Montreal is THE place to play hockey.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 11:44 AM
Tucker316*

Send a message via MSN to Tucker316*
It certainly has nothing to do with weather and climate.

Everybody playing hockey was born pretty much in the northern hemisphere. They've lived their entire lives through snow and freezing cold temps..they can deal with it for a few months, and buy a frikkin cottage down south for the off season if they want to.

Tucker316* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 11:45 AM
Pere Noel

The statement is wrong all together

First of all, we resign most of our own UFA (if not all of the one we want to keep).

So those players do want to stay in Montreal.

---

So what's the deal... if Gainey had targetted Arnott, the fact that Arnott hasn't signed with Montreal, doesn't mean he didn't want to come here.

It just turns out that he got a better offer in Nashville. And look at the dynamics in Nashville, theie number one center was Yannick Perreault. Their number 2 center is David Legwand, he has never really paned out.

So Nashville was in dire need for a #1 center, and overpaid. As for Arnott, being number one is probably of great interest, and the pay too after all

---

So if Gainey had really mainly targetted Arnott, the mere fact that he didn't sign him doesn't mean that players don't want to come here.

Gainey didn't want to sign a defenseman were he to sign Bouillon, so no surprise here.

No need for a goalie, so no surprise here.

---

Pere Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 12:16 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pere Noel View Post
The statement is wrong all together

First of all, we resign most of our own UFA (if not all of the one we want to keep).

So those players do want to stay in Montreal.

---

I agree players want to stay here, its getting them here in the first place that seems to be the problem. Read what i am saying again.

Old
07-03-2006, 12:17 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker316 View Post
It certainly has nothing to do with weather and climate.

Everybody playing hockey was born pretty much in the northern hemisphere. They've lived their entire lives through snow and freezing cold temps..they can deal with it for a few months, and buy a frikkin cottage down south for the off season if they want to.
Just cause you were born in the north, doesn't mean you want to stay there forever, especially if you get an option where you can leave.

As far as having nothing to do with weather, explain to me again why Pronger decided to leave the cup finalists??