HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Райан О'Рейли: In Soviet Ontario Offer Sheets Sign You; Rayan's 3rd Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-03-2013, 10:49 PM
  #301
Freudian
Patty likes beef
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 28,915
vCash: 50
I think if O'Reilly is injured for a few weeks more, there will be no rush from either side since he can't play anyway. That's why I'm not freaking out about them not having talked in a while. Both sides probably think they get a bit of extra leverage by waiting during this injury.

Freudian is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 10:50 PM
  #302
The Shermanator
Knee Brace Season
 
The Shermanator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,980
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentblack View Post
If this is true, my question is
Why not give ROR the captaincy?
That would make things messed up beyond belief.

The Shermanator is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 10:51 PM
  #303
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,417
vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
If what Dater said is true it's coming from only one side, O'Reilly's.
O'Reilly's side is releasing information that makes him look bad?

People are starting to turn on Avs management and they're getting blasted by some media members. Now some information of O'Reilly's demands will start to leak so people will turn on him.

Well done by both sides. They both look more and more stupid by the day.

Avs_19 is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 10:53 PM
  #304
agentblack
Registered User
 
agentblack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 2,251
vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Sports Fan View Post
So you'd strip Lando of the Captaincy and give it to ROR just to help his hurt feelings?
No I meant before giving it to Lando
Once Hejduk gave it up

agentblack is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 10:55 PM
  #305
Freudian
Patty likes beef
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 28,915
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentblack View Post
No I meant before giving it to Lando
Once Hejduk gave it up
How can you give a player that's not signed to a contract the captaincy?

Freudian is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 10:55 PM
  #306
agentblack
Registered User
 
agentblack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 2,251
vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shermanator View Post
That would make things messed up beyond belief.
Sorry I should have clarified I meant when we
didnt have a captain
But that would be mad funny at a press conference
You have both ROR and Lando there and Sherman just rips
the C off and scotch tapes it to ROR t-shirt

agentblack is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 10:57 PM
  #307
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$
 
bohlmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,267
vCash: 400
I disagree with giving ROR the C. Lando is the obvious and perfect choice.

I HOPE that isn't an issue. Cause that is very immature of ROR if it is,

bohlmeister is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 10:57 PM
  #308
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 18,684
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
Dater said in his last podcast that O'Reilly's side was hurt that Landeskog got the captaincy.
He also mentioned that O'Reilly's representatives compared him to Evander Kane and the contract he got and that the Avs pointed out his -1 and compared it with Lando's +20 (= Lando lifted O'Reilly, instead of other way around).
Dater didn't speculate these things, he said them as truth.
Wow, I really didn't think there was anything to the captaincy snub. Just seems like any player, let alone O'Reilly would be slightly disappointed, but not take it to heart. Especially given the kind of person and player Lando is.

It doesn't really line up with the time table from TPS' info either. He said they were close, but something happened around when EJ signed. EJ signed on July 3rd, and Landeskog was named captain on Sep 4th. There's just so much weirdness going on in this situation, I don't know what to believe.

He sure didn't let anything show publicly if he was pissed, saying it was well deserved.

Ryan O'Reilly ‏@Ryan_OReilly90
Congrats @GabeLandeskog92 on youngest captain in NHL history. Amazing player and even better guy. #welldeserved #stud #greatStyle

Foppa2118 is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 10:57 PM
  #309
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,417
vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentblack View Post
Sorry I should have clarified I meant when we
didnt have a captain
But that would be mad funny at a press conference
You have both ROR and Lando there and Sherman just rips
the C off and scotch tapes it to ROR t-shirt
Then Don Meehan and Mark Guy walk out and demand more money from the Avs because their client is now the captain and leader of the team. I could see it happening.....

Avs_19 is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 11:00 PM
  #310
Crisp Breakout
Registered User
 
Crisp Breakout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,776
vCash: 500
So the Avs offered $3.5 per for a 2 year contract. Dater says O'Reilly wanted $4.25 per for a 2 year contract. How is this still going on, seriously?

Crisp Breakout is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 11:01 PM
  #311
Nzap
Insert clever phrase
 
Nzap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Middle of Noux
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,904
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post
So the Avs offered $3.5 per for a 2 year contract. Dater says O'Reilly wanted $4.25 per for a 2 year contract. How is this still going on, seriously?
I believe Dater said that was something he figured was somewhere around the correct number.
I don't recall him saying that as a fact.

Nzap is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 11:05 PM
  #312
RockLobster
Moderator
Beatles Guru
 
RockLobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,850
vCash: 905
This has nothing to do with the Captaincy.

There's more to this story than Dater is either A) Letting on because he received info "Off the Record" or B) He doesn't know.

I personally think that it's entirely possible that the Avs had sort of asked/requested that Hejduk give up the C...or Hejduk being the absolute Class Act that he is, told the Avs that he wanted to give it up.

Either way, it became a situation where they had to name a new Captain, and at that point they were weighing their options, and the Avs had a couple of players that could have reasonably gotten it (i.e. meaning that they wouldn't have been considered a "stretch" to get it)

Those players being: Stastny, EJ, Landeskog and O'Reilly. I don't think Duchene would have reasonably entered the conversation.

So I think that Dater saying that "the O'Reilly side was hurt a bit when Landeskog was named Captain" is really just more of a "Little disappointed, but let's move on" type deal. It wouldn't be something to hold up negotiations like this.

RockLobster is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 11:06 PM
  #313
chet1926
Registered User
 
chet1926's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 3,922
vCash: 500
So if what Dater is saying is true, then I have lost all respect for O'Reilly. If one of his big issues is that he wasn't given the C, thats insane. You don't play hockey for a letter on your shirt. You play for the love of the game. If it leads to one of those letters on your shirt all the more power to you, but there have been plenty of great players that weren't captains. You didn't see Peter Forsberg having a hissy fit and refusing to sign because Joe Sakic was captain. Its just a letter on your jersey, the team/management decided that they liked Landeskog as captain, so what? It doesn't mean they hate O'Reilly as a player, it means that they liked Landeskog more as a captain. Most players would be fine with that and try to prove to the team they were worthy of an A, but O'Reilly pulls a poor me and has a hissy fit.

Also to compare himself to E Kane is ridiculous. Kane has out performed O'Reilly offensively every year except their rookie season. Unfortunately the way people are paid in this league is by offensive stats. I think someone else made the comment of Phil Kessel gets paid more than Bergeron, but that doesn't mean I'd rather have Kessel, it just shows that offensive stats are the most important component to getting paid in this league.

chet1926 is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 11:10 PM
  #314
chet1926
Registered User
 
chet1926's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 3,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Wow, I really didn't think there was anything to the captaincy snub. Just seems like any player, let alone O'Reilly would be slightly disappointed, but not take it to heart. Especially given the kind of person and player Lando is.

It doesn't really line up with the time table from TPS' info either. He said they were close, but something happened around when EJ signed. EJ signed on July 3rd, and Landeskog was named captain on Sep 4th. There's just so much weirdness going on in this situation, I don't know what to believe.

He sure didn't let anything show publicly if he was pissed, saying it was well deserved.

Ryan O'Reilly ‏@Ryan_OReilly90
Congrats @GabeLandeskog92 on youngest captain in NHL history. Amazing player and even better guy. #welldeserved #stud
#greatStyle
Just because you type one thing doesn't mean you mean it. What did you think O'Reilly would do in this situation? Come out and say this is BS, it should have been me etc. Of course not because no would ever want him on an team ever again because he'd look like an ass who only give a crap about himself.

chet1926 is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 11:12 PM
  #315
RockLobster
Moderator
Beatles Guru
 
RockLobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,850
vCash: 905
Again, this has nothing to do with not being named Captain.

Couldn't someone have wanted something, really bad, but not get it and be both disappointed and happy for the person who did get it at the same time?

This is that situation.

RockLobster is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 12:33 AM
  #316
Kloparren
Hth
 
Kloparren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,449
vCash: 500
Who the heck holds out just because of not being named captain?

Kyle Turris held out because he wanted a trade and it became fairly well known. He wanted a trade because Phx badly and I mean badly managed him largely due to Dave Tippett's coaching system. He was never gonna score more than 40 pts on that team based on how he was used and therefore he'd never be able to earn the big bucks so he rightfully signed then got a trade out of it and Phx got a high end dman prospect.

I call BS. This is the same as PJ Stock saying that his teammates are "shunning Subban." Just someone in the media trying to put a spin in when they have nothing to add.

Kloparren is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 12:42 AM
  #317
CobraAcesS
Registered User
 
CobraAcesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 4,062
vCash: 500
I really don't have much to say about O'Reilly himself, but I'm in the middle here still. Media and fan speculation just tends to get out of control, with all the real facts missing it's to cloudy to really judge anyone. Avs offer is fair based on other RFA's but O'Reilly wanting 4M AAV is fair on his side as well.

Here's a good blog on how important O'Reilly is to the team from advance stats guru/blogger and MHH poster Jibblescribbits : http://www.jibblescribbits.com/2013-...o-the-avs.html

CobraAcesS is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 12:43 AM
  #318
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,318
vCash: 50
Dater knows nothing. Sorry. Just absolutely nothing. Evander Kane? When was he ever brought up? Captaincy was discussed, yes, but that wasn't a tipping point and O'Ry knew back in July that he wasn't amongst the final 3 choices for captaincy. I won't mention the stupid crap the Avs pointed out because I'm accused of just being a biased friend, but we'd all feel offended in that situation after busting our *** and "overachieving" while overpaid primadonnas or pampered shiney toys underachieved.

TwoPadStack is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 12:52 AM
  #319
CobraAcesS
Registered User
 
CobraAcesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 4,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Dater knows nothing. Sorry. Just absolutely nothing. Evander Kane? When was he ever brought up? Captaincy was discussed, yes, but that wasn't a tipping point and O'Ry knew back in July that he wasn't amongst the final 3 choices for captaincy. I won't mention the stupid crap the Avs pointed out because I'm accused of just being a biased friend, but we'd all feel offended in that situation after busting our *** and "overachieving" while overpaid primadonnas or pampered shiney toys underachieved.
That's a little obvious as to who it pertains to, (Stastny & Duchene). I get Duchene as a shiny toy, but Stastny has never been viewed as a pre-madonna. Assuming of course that's who your talking about, because at the time there was only one shiny toy and one over paid player on the team (at least noticeably).

Is this your personal feelings?

I will say this... regardless of accusations by HF posters or whatever. Any real information is a good thing in this cloudy situation. Because what is being released is making O'Reilly look to be the one acting like a hurt child.

I won't make that judgement but it's what it 'SEEMS' like. So if you have some other perspective or truth to share you should do it to be honest. People can believe you or not, but there are plenty of people who listen to what you put out. Honestly I would just let loose on what you know, it might connect some of the dots for the people who are starting to see O'Reilly in such a bad light.

CobraAcesS is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 12:59 AM
  #320
Mouse21*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Dater knows nothing. Sorry. Just absolutely nothing. Evander Kane? When was he ever brought up? Captaincy was discussed, yes, but that wasn't a tipping point and O'Ry knew back in July that he wasn't amongst the final 3 choices for captaincy. I won't mention the stupid crap the Avs pointed out because I'm accused of just being a biased friend, but we'd all feel offended in that situation after busting our *** and "overachieving" while overpaid primadonnas or pampered shiney toys underachieved.
how dumb.

Mouse21* is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 01:01 AM
  #321
Freudian
Patty likes beef
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 28,915
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Dater knows nothing. Sorry. Just absolutely nothing. Evander Kane? When was he ever brought up? Captaincy was discussed, yes, but that wasn't a tipping point and O'Ry knew back in July that he wasn't amongst the final 3 choices for captaincy. I won't mention the stupid crap the Avs pointed out because I'm accused of just being a biased friend, but we'd all feel offended in that situation after busting our *** and "overachieving" while overpaid primadonnas or pampered shiney toys underachieved.
Welcome to the real world. When you're a career 0.45 PPG guy coming off your ELC asking for a lot of money the employer will object and point to reasons why you shouldn't make $5M/year or whatever. It's their job, just as it is O'Reilly's agents job to completely ignore the first two years of his NHL career and claim he should get paid purely from the third.

It's business. But by the way you write about it, it seems it's mostly emotional for him. That makes him silly and his agent unprofessional. His agent knows it's just business, so why does he let his client get all sulky?

Freudian is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 01:09 AM
  #322
CobraAcesS
Registered User
 
CobraAcesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 4,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Welcome to the real world. When you're a career 0.45 PPG guy coming off your ELC asking for a lot of money the employer will object and point to reasons why you shouldn't make $5M/year or whatever. It's their job, just as it is O'Reilly's agents job to completely ignore the first two years of his NHL career and claim he should get paid purely from the third.

It's business. But by the way you write about it, it seems it's mostly emotional for him. That makes him silly and his agent unprofessional. His agent knows it's just business, so why does he let his client get all sulky?
You do realize that it's been refuted that he wants 5M a year on a short term deal right? I realize that his agent didn't refute that he wanted 5M AAV on a long term deal, BUT it's never been confrimed either.

So much speculation and SMOKE to be honest, how can you really form a solid enough opinion on anything that has heppened to make comments about O'Reilly sulking or anything of that nature?

Here is some speculation of my own... If O'Reilly is injured, hes not getting a contract until he can pass a physical. So why would they talk until he was at least closer to being healthy? Who knows, maybe Colorado is ready to offer him a contract similar to Subban's (A higher second year sum) but that's not going to happen until they know hes healthy.

People need to keep their opinions one way or another tempered at least somewhat... IMO of course.

CobraAcesS is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 01:19 AM
  #323
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE
 
Duchene2MacKinnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,440
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Dater knows nothing. Sorry. Just absolutely nothing. Evander Kane? When was he ever brought up? Captaincy was discussed, yes, but that wasn't a tipping point and O'Ry knew back in July that he wasn't amongst the final 3 choices for captaincy. I won't mention the stupid crap the Avs pointed out because I'm accused of just being a biased friend, but we'd all feel offended in that situation after busting our *** and "overachieving" while overpaid primadonnas or pampered shiney toys underachieved.
Sorry TPS but you come off bad here.

Glad it's not a captain issue as that would be silly, I never believed it to be anyway. Out if curoisty who were the 3 finalist for the C?

Please share the stupid crap the avs pointed out? After this post, it's pretty obvious that you are a biased friend anyway.

Not sure what Stastny or Duchene have to do with this but is this coming from Ryan?

In all honesty, this reminds me of senior Stastny's rant after the EJ trade. I hope you don't think, I'm attacking you here TPS.


Last edited by Duchene2MacKinnon: 02-04-2013 at 01:26 AM.
Duchene2MacKinnon is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 01:30 AM
  #324
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Nihiliste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,415
vCash: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Dater knows nothing. Sorry. Just absolutely nothing. Evander Kane? When was he ever brought up? Captaincy was discussed, yes, but that wasn't a tipping point and O'Ry knew back in July that he wasn't amongst the final 3 choices for captaincy. I won't mention the stupid crap the Avs pointed out because I'm accused of just being a biased friend, but we'd all feel offended in that situation after busting our *** and "overachieving" while overpaid primadonnas or pampered shiney toys underachieved.
It's extremely hard to comment without knowing what was actually said but I have to ask whether this is your view of Stastny and Duchene, or Ryan's. Because if this is the esteem in which Ryan holds his teammates, I feel like we have a bigger problem than just getting him signed.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Welcome to the real world. When you're a career 0.45 PPG guy coming off your ELC asking for a lot of money the employer will object and point to reasons why you shouldn't make $5M/year or whatever. It's their job, just as it is O'Reilly's agents job to completely ignore the first two years of his NHL career and claim he should get paid purely from the third.

It's business. But by the way you write about it, it seems it's mostly emotional for him. That makes him silly and his agent unprofessional. His agent knows it's just business, so why does he let his client get all sulky?
I tend to agree. I'm sure most people who have ever had to negotiate a raise or promotion with their employer have faced some degree of doubt or criticism in their employer's valuation. It would be irresponsible for them not to try to control costs where they can (lol Francois Giguere) just as employees obviously must advocate for themselves. But as you say, its just business.

Nihiliste is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 01:55 AM
  #325
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,417
vCash: 645
I wonder what the reaction will be if/when he gets traded. Papa Stastny is just a little crazy, Papa O'Reilly sounds like he's crazy and on some sort of drugs. Should we expect a weird/cryptic tweet or an all out rant?

Avs_19 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.