HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

#08 | New Jersey Devils vs. New York Islanders | Feb 3 | 3 PM | L 3-0

Old
02-03-2013, 07:57 PM
StrongIslanders90

vCash: 500
I would complain about the call but at the same time we missed countless chances on the PP and breakaways....We beat ourselves

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 08:19 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

I only read a few reviews of the game and can guess at the rest. Here are my thoughts:

- This is the first game in a very long time that for two and half periods saw calls going ALL the Isle's way. I actually felt bad for the Jersey fans who had to see this, except for all the games we had where this is the 180 degree opposite of what happened. Then the refs gave the Devils a power play for no reason except Giointa looked a little woozy after a 110% clean check. Oh well, it isn't like the Islanders didn't have a few borderline at best PPs come their way earlier. This goes to my second point:

- The PP had to come back down to earth sooner or later, and I guess that happened today. The Isles had the chance to get some goals up on the Devils but couldn't hit a barn door, and when they did Jersey had a leg in the way, or Hedberg the human bath plug saw it cleanly.

- Someone tell Grabner that if he keeps going to the same draw back shot on the breakaway he may never score again as everyone knows it is coming now. Please learn three more moves.

- Today's game is Exhibit A in my criminal complaint against management for not getting Tavares a real first line wing. Moulson scores, yes, but don't ask him to do anything else. That brings me to another point:

- Okposo? Please don't insult my intelligence telling me he had even a small % of a good game. I guess Tavares can't have one off night without the two clods on either side actually stepping up and doing something useful but if the Isles do any one thing by August of next year it is to please get Kyle as far away from the top line as possible. As long as you are going to force Moulson into one of the top forward positions you simply can not have another do-nothing on the other side. And no way in this world is Kyle a power forward. He is 2nd line fodder.

- The team had it's chances to win and blew it. Call this a wake up call to the happy face squad. I call this a learning experience and point to games 11 through 20 telling the real story.

Last edited by A Pointed Stick: 02-03-2013 at 08:47 PM.
A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 08:49 PM
Nyifan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyifan12 View Post
3-0 Devils. A snoozer.......
I called that one!!!

Nyifan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 09:10 PM
BaileyToOkposo

Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
OMGZ worst team everrr blow it all up, tank for Jones and trade everyone for picks!
Some of you are really pathetic. U tAlk about how good of a team we can become and than one game later some people talk about how were the worse team ever. Stop acting like met fans. You ppl make me sick

BaileyToOkposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 09:56 PM
19NYSports91

I guess I watched a different game then some of you, I thought Okposo had a good game today. Battled pretty good along the boards today, should have had at least 1 or 2 assists as well.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:09 PM
wingnutks

Was going to go to the game Tuesday night, not buying tickets after seeing this performance.

wingnutks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:14 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

We're at the point where certain players on our roster need to be held accountable for their play. We have more than enough replacements.

Trade okposo and call up Nino. 2 birds, one stone.

Simply playing well along the boards doesn't cut it for a 1st liner.

Moulson-JT-Nino
Grabner-Frans-Boyes
Ullstrom-Aucoin-Bailey
Martin-Reasoner-Boulton/McDonald

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:43 PM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
What is one item which separates the better teams from the mediocre?

Bouncing back after a crappy loss.
Not letting a crappy loss effect their on ice performance next game.

If the Isles are truly taking "the next step"...well...we'll see how they play on Tuesday.
This exactly. The Devils are a very good defensive team and have made better teams than the Islanders look worse offensively on many nights. I really do think that Cappy is going to have to find a way to spread out the minutes a little more or he risks losing the confidence of the other lines and wearing out his top lines.

Oh and I love the we are great one night and suck the next night attitude around here. Come on guys we are all better than that

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:10 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyToOkposo View Post
Some of you are really pathetic. U tAlk about how good of a team we can become and than one game later some people talk about how were the worse team ever. Stop acting like met fans. You ppl make me sick
Fairly certain the "OMGZ worst team everrrrrr" was an indication of sarcasm.. ECK's a sane poster around here.. pretty sure he was making a mockery of some of the people around here who tout us as Stanley cup champs after a win and want to disband the team after a loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutks View Post
Was going to go to the game Tuesday night, not buying tickets after seeing this performance.
They didn't win.. Not every night is the power play going to be number one in the world especially against a team they've played three times in two weeks.. So lets not go to a game because they had down night and that must be an indicator on how they'll play Tuesday!

They win Tuesday we'll have the same people complaining the attendance wasnt high enough and I can't wait for the next game!

This team has a shot to make the playoffs as a low seed.. They're goin to lose they're fair share of games people shouldn't freak out about a game they lost late while playing like crap and still having deserved at least one point. Not to be a downer but they won 5 of 7 games two times last season and four of five another occasion, hot streaks happen and so will cold ones. I'm just praying they can manage to take another step this year.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:22 PM
BaileyToOkposo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
Fairly certain the "OMGZ worst team everrrrrr" was an indication of sarcasm.. ECK's a sane poster around here.. pretty sure he was making a mockery of some of the people around here who tout us as Stanley cup champs after a win and want to disband the team after a loss

They didn't win.. Not every night is the power play going to be number one in the world especially against a team they've played three times in two weeks.. So lets not go to a game because they had down night and that must be an indicator on how they'll play Tuesday!

They win Tuesday we'll have the same people complaining the attendance wasnt high enough and I can't wait for the next game!

This team has a shot to make the playoffs as a low seed.. They're goin to lose they're fair share of games people shouldn't freak out about a game they lost late while playing like crap and still having deserved at least one point. Not to be a downer but they won 5 of 7 games two times last season and four of five another occasion, hot streaks happen and so will cold ones. I'm just praying they can manage to take another step this year.
Ya I wasn't sure if he was being sarcastic or not. Didn't mean to point him out so I just wrote some ppl. It was just the last one I read.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:25 PM
BaileyToOkposo

But I do agree with most opinions on okposo. He has really became one of my least favorite islanders. I just hate the way he plays

Old
02-03-2013, 11:32 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
I only read a few reviews of the game and can guess at the rest. Here are my thoughts:

- This is the first game in a very long time that for two and half periods saw calls going ALL the Isle's way. I actually felt bad for the Jersey fans who had to see this, except for all the games we had where this is the 180 degree opposite of what happened. Then the refs gave the Devils a power play for no reason except Giointa looked a little woozy after a 110% clean check. Oh well, it isn't like the Islanders didn't have a few borderline at best PPs come their way earlier. This goes to my second point:

- The PP had to come back down to earth sooner or later, and I guess that happened today. The Isles had the chance to get some goals up on the Devils but couldn't hit a barn door, and when they did Jersey had a leg in the way, or Hedberg the human bath plug saw it cleanly.

- Someone tell Grabner that if he keeps going to the same draw back shot on the breakaway he may never score again as everyone knows it is coming now. Please learn three more moves.

- Today's game is Exhibit A in my criminal complaint against management for not getting Tavares a real first line wing. Moulson scores, yes, but don't ask him to do anything else. That brings me to another point:

- Okposo? Please don't insult my intelligence telling me he had even a small % of a good game. I guess Tavares can't have one off night without the two clods on either side actually stepping up and doing something useful but if the Isles do any one thing by August of next year it is to please get Kyle as far away from the top line as possible. As long as you are going to force Moulson into one of the top forward positions you simply can not have another do-nothing on the other side. And no way in this world is Kyle a power forward. He is 2nd line fodder.

- The team had it's chances to win and blew it. Call this a wake up call to the happy face squad. I call this a learning experience and point to games 11 through 20 telling the real story.
Fully agree on everything! The Islanders blew it big time today. Points are important and we had plenty of chances and got beat by a back up goalie who plays 10 games a year.

This week alone is huge, The Penguins are heating up, The Rangers are getting back into there groove and Vanek and the Sabres are looking lethal. The next 2 weeks we need to get points in at least 7 out of the 10 games.

Also agree with you that Kyle Okposo is overrated.. I have been saying that since last year. He is not a 1st line player and does nothing to help JT.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:10 AM
luki here

Quote:
Fact: Grabner isn't good at breakaways.. Has never been... Two fluke breakaway goals this season where he messed up and still ended up scoring isn't going to change that.
The deke was very good. Hedbeeg was better. So hypocritical what half the people here are saying...

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:22 AM
luki here

Quote:
Or perhaps it was just a unsustainable % and they're leveling off.. Combine that with the fact that we have played the Devils twice before in this early season so maybe they've finally figured something out.
But we didnt sustain any pressure and shot no shots at the net. That has nothing to do with shooting percentage. PP just really lost out to devils pk yesterday.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:51 AM
steveat

We were not any different than the other nights. The difference was how the Devils played US. They changed the way they approached our PP and 5 on 5. We weren't expecting that. The difference is that the Devils adapted, we weren't able to. We still played fine...Okposo actually played better and against another team, we might have come out with a win. If we don't adapt to the counter system that the Devils created after their last loss to us, then we won't beat them.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:51 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Some thoughts:
- Most importantly: A ref at the NHL level CANNOT take the liberty to give a penalty in the last 10 minutes of a tied game, much less a 0-0 game, to a guy for making a TEXTBOOK check. It doesn't get better than what Strait did. THAT was the intention for checks in hockey. Ipso facto, a DISGRACE that in the best league in the world, that penalty can be given at that point in the game. Just awful. Just absolutely awful!
- Tonight was Grabner's worst game this season. It's not just the missed breakaway (as others have written, he's not good at them anyways). He just did a lot of the other things pretty poorly. A game full of inconsistencies.
- Kyle Okposo has one more goal than my grandmother. Sorry, but he's NOT coming close to getting the job done as a first liner. In fact, it's really looking like he chronically needs half a season to get going. He's had a lot of slow starts in recent years.
- Well, put me in the group of people who welcomed the Carkner signing, but are now bemoaning it. This game is simply too fast for that man. He is not an NHL-level defender. He's nowhere near an NHL-caliber skater. When do we see Martinek?
- Getting a bit tired of the staged fights... I want them to come because the emotion and game situation calls for them.
Carkner is a 7th Defenseman. At 1.5 mil he's definetly overpaid. When Vis gets here he should be in the stands.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:52 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by luki here View Post
The deke was very good. Hedbeeg was better. So hypocritical what half the people here are saying...
Seriously, sometimes the other goaltender makes a good save. Hedberg made an amazing sliding save on Grabner. To be fair, it probably goes in on most goaltenders. All he had to do was lift it though, but he's not a primary goalscorer, so his head and hands can't coordinate like that.

As I had time to think about the game, I realized that although we didn't score on the PP, we still deserved a point in the that game. We generated those PP's from working hard. That's what happens. Sometimes your PP is going to struggle. That doesn't mean we earned not having a point. It happens.

For the far ref to make that call, and screw us out of a point, is criminal. I can take losing, I can't take losing on PK calls late in the game like that. If I had to make a bet, I'd be willing to bet the official regrets making that call.

Bring the A game Tuesday and win. Set yourself up for a GREAT week. That's how you respond. You then take it out on the Devils in two weeks. Things will go from bad to worse if they lose Tuesday.

This team has no clue how to win at home in front of its fans, an alarming thing to notice over the past couple of years. All you have to do is put a tiny bit of pressure on the Islanders and they fold. Every time. It's time they grab their balls and win games in pressure situations.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:54 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by luki here View Post
The deke was good... But grabner is still not good on the breakaway and last night was perfect example of why. It's the same reason why he gets these breakaways, because of his speed. He gets the puck and is on his own within like two strides he was already on goal and was too close to effectively lift the puck. What's hypocritical about that? He has been excellent so far this season all around.. He's still not good on the breakaway. He missed like ten thousand breakaways last season it's not like this is some huge insult to grabs or a top secret.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:55 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
The deke was good... But grabner is still not good on the breakaway and last night was perfect example of why. It's the same reason why he gets these breakaways, because of his speed. He gets the puck and is on his own within like two strides he was already on goal and was too close to effectively lift the puck. What's hypocritical about that? He has been excellent so far this season all around.. He's still not good on the breakaway.
OK, give me a break. Sometimes he'll shoot, sometimes he'll deke. HEDBERG MADE A TEN BELL STOP. For F's sake, he had Hedberg going one way and Hedberg actually was able to throw himself laterally and JUST get the puck with his pad.

Come on man, it was not a goal, but it was also very close to being a goal. It was a good save. Period. You'll see more of them against the Islanders. And, btw, how about we not get on Grabners case, when he at least shows up nightly and does the little things to help the Isles win? He's going to keep getting his chances. Why doesn't fatso on the first line show up for a game?

Old
02-04-2013, 06:57 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

The bottom line: Islanders don't know how to win when they run into a good goalie making the saves he needs to make. When the Isles open it up, they are more relaxed and can run up the score.

Not coincidentally that both these types of losses come against the Devils. Isles will have to exact revenge in two weeks. For the time being, FORGET ABOUT IT and move on, take it out on Pittsburgh, who will have an A+ game waiting for the Isles Tuesday. We all have to move on.

Old
02-04-2013, 07:32 AM
xECK29x

Quote:

Thanks bro!

We were expecting this team to finish around 8-10 in the east, thus far they are right on schedule. We ran into a hot goalie and our offense went flat for the first time this season. We will be fine, we can't have this huge swing of emotion after every game, it's crazy!

Although it is really funny watch some people try to cope with the solid play and winning up to this point.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:41 AM
19NYSports91

Martinek is better than Carkner and Hickey...just saying.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:53 AM
lorwood

Hockey 101;

Goaltending alone can win;

A game

A playoff series

A Stanley Cup (See Billy Smith)

The Islanders played a good game and got beat by a Goal keeper, it happens.

It's no coincidence that the Islanders started to improve once Nabby settled their own goal tending situation.

Goaltender; The most important player on the ice

lorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:12 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
Rough game. Typical Devils skating-in-sand game that they just love to make you play.

That being said we had our chances, and the Devils were getting paraded to the penalty box at one point, and for us to go 0 for 7 with the man advantage is just inexcusable.

Yeah, the "charge" call on Strait was BS, big time, but it's no excuse for what happened afterwards.

Whatever, it's one game. Moving on.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:44 AM
Hyphistos

Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
Thanks bro!

We were expecting this team to finish around 8-10 in the east, thus far they are right on schedule. We ran into a hot goalie and our offense went flat for the first time this season. We will be fine, we can't have this huge swing of emotion after every game, it's crazy!

Although it is really funny watch some people try to cope with the solid play and winning up to this point.
You're absolutely right, but I think this is exactly the reason why many of us react so bipolar - at least I can speak for myself. It's because we didn't expect the team to perform as well as they did until now. Therefore it feels like some kind of dream and we still fear that it has been only a hot streak. So every bad game lets us fear that we will wake up and be brought back to earth with a bang.

It's even a self-amplifying process, because when you see how "unstable" we as fans react, wouldn't you think that the players have the exact same thoughts? And wouldn't this thinking even increase the fear to see "the old Isles" again? ;-)

Hyphistos is offline   Reply With Quote