HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Magnus Pääjärvi-Svensson (2009, 10th overall, Edmonton, traded to St. Louis) II

Old
02-03-2013, 04:41 PM
JAS 39 Gripen

vCash: 500
hes really bad. Rushed player is rushed....and unintelligent

JAS 39 Gripen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 05:08 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitz View Post
He is definitely an NHL talent but is buried BIG TIME in Edmonton. So much so that he was recently demoted to the AHL in favour of Anton Lander.

He's worth more to Edmonton than anyone else is going to pay for him, he's honestly not a very good trade target.
It was because Edmonton already had a full roster and Horcoff was injured, they needed a center for the bottom 6 and PK. Paajarvi has already been called back up, it was just for a few days.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 05:56 PM
thrillhous

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
MPS is still a prospect?
Do you consider Holland and/or Palmieri to be a prospect? I do and I also consider MPS to be a prospect, regardless of the fact that he was full-time in the NHL for a period of time.

thrillhous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 06:11 PM
bp spec

vCash: 50
I don't think he'll make it in the NHL. Pajaarvi will go back to Sweden in a few of years.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 06:25 PM
Spectra
Registered boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp spec View Post
I don't think he'll make it in the NHL. Pajaarvi will go back to Sweden in a few of years.
You may be right and I wouldn't believe it if someone said it when he was drafted. Oilers fault or does he just not have the mental toughness to play at the highest level? Weird and a shame if he ends up a bust...

Spectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:09 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectra View Post
You may be right and I wouldn't believe it if someone said it when he was drafted. Oilers fault or does he just not have the mental toughness to play at the highest level? Weird and a shame if he ends up a bust...
I dont think hell ever be a bust to the point where he cant make it in NHL or AHL. Hes already shown to be an effective 3rd liner in his 3rd season. He would be a dissappointment tho.

The only reason hed go back to sweden is if he felt hed be a star there. If his progession completely stopped right now he could still carve out a life in the NHL as a 3/4 liner

topchowda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:54 PM
Montecristo

id take MPS on the bruins to be the 3rd line LW. I think a heavy veteran presence could help him gain his confidence and maybe he'd stop pressing. I think part of his problem is he is constantly being measured up to the success of taylor hall, jordan eberle, and RNH, now even yakupov. He seems like the perfect example of a player needing a change of scenery. I'd go caron and aaron johnson for MPS. maybe a 2nd or 3rd rounder too if im chiarelli. i think his speed and shot would be a much accepted commodity on the B's 3rd line with peverley and kelly

Montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:19 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS 39 Gripen View Post
hes really bad. Rushed player is rushed....and unintelligent
One could almost say he's the Swedish Jani Rita. Excelled in juniors thanks to his size/physique and speed, but at the expense of his hockey sense.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:32 PM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

He has hockey sense. Just not in the offensive zone.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:37 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
People writing him off, already? Come on.. He's still got time to blossom into what he's capable of becoming and the Oilers won't give up on him unless it's in a deal you can't refuse.

Would it really surprise anyone if Paajarvi became a 50 point two-way player once Hemsky is gone? He's not getting a sniff of top 6 ice time right now because there is no room for him. I think the way he's developing might actually be the best situation for the Oilers. He's learned the defensive side of the game very well already. Move him into more of an offensive situation and he might be able to produce at both sides of the ice.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:14 AM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Would it really surprise anyone if Paajarvi became a 50 point two-way player once Hemsky is gone?
Yah.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:16 AM
Prophet Kadri

Not every player that started out as ablue chip propsect turns out to be a hell of a player. Every year the leafs have someone like Sjostrom, Komisarek, Torres, Schremp. Guys who were said to have alot of potential but they just never lived up. PRV still can be a NHL player but his chance of living up to what he was once thought to be is less and less. Theres always a player like Eberle to even it out (I thought Eberle was a 2nd-3rd liner after his WJHC).

Prophet Kadri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:37 AM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
One could almost say he's the Swedish Jani Rita. Excelled in juniors thanks to his size/physique and speed, but at the expense of his hockey sense.
MPS was quite sucessful in SEL and NHL before last season.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:44 AM
Garl

Just IMO, trade would help him. Let's be honest, you can't build a team in NHL with youngsters only. And Oilers already have their prolific scorers of the future with 3 recent 1st overalls and Eberle. At the moment Paajarvi is offerred a bottom 6 role only. And don't think it will be changing soon in the future.

Old
02-04-2013, 12:58 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
Just IMO, trade would help him. Let's be honest, you can't build a team in NHL with youngsters only. And Oilers already have their prolific scorers of the future with 3 recent 1st overalls and Eberle. At the moment Paajarvi is offerred a bottom 6 role only. And don't think it will be changing soon in the future.
You think an older established team is going to offer him a top six role?

Youve got to be joking.

Magnus has to earn his spot, not have it handed to him. His struggles have to do with nobody else but himself.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:35 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

As of now the coaching staff wants him to focus on being a 3rd line winger that plays solid defensive hockey and a guy that PK's. If he can excel in that role it will buy him time to work on the rest of his game.

02-04-2013, 03:20 AM
Dosing

Remember saying in his first season that they were shaping him as a defensive grinder, and this was back when he had a spark to his game. Guess i was right.

What a shame.

Dosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:32 AM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
You think an older established team is going to offer him a top six role?

Youve got to be joking.

Magnus has to earn his spot, not have it handed to him. His struggles have to do with nobody else but himself.
I don't think any team in NHL would "handle" him a TOP 6 spot. However, how would he earn his spot in TOP 6 with 2 recent 1st overall picks plus canadian hero Eberle who are all same age or even younger than him ahead in the depth chart? Those guys are not being traded anytime soon. Pretty much that leaves 1 spot that is occupied by Hemsky at the moment. And even if Ales is traded, Oilers better find someone with experience and some grit to fill his place.

So, since he's not getting in TOP 6 in Oilers even if he returns to his 2010 form, they are kinda shaping him into a 3rd line grinder with size. And while he is responcible defensivly, he's not really a grinder material.

Old
02-04-2013, 08:06 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
I don't think any team in NHL would "handle" him a TOP 6 spot. However, how would he earn his spot in TOP 6 with 2 recent 1st overall picks plus canadian hero Eberle who are all same age or even younger than him ahead in the depth chart? Those guys are not being traded anytime soon. Pretty much that leaves 1 spot that is occupied by Hemsky at the moment. And even if Ales is traded, Oilers better find someone with experience and some grit to fill his place.

So, since he's not getting in TOP 6 in Oilers even if he returns to his 2010 form, they are kinda shaping him into a 3rd line grinder with size. And while he is responcible defensivly, he's not really a grinder material.
The depth chart at LW after Taylor Hall is wide open. The real log jam in the organization is at RW. So the door is wide open for Magnus to grab a top six spot, not the other way around. If he cant beat a rookie (Yakupov) or a veteran who has motivational and injury issues (Hemsky), then he really isnt cut out for the job in the first place.

Paajarvi had a top six role handed to him in his rookie season. Its not like he has never been given a chance. If he was in Detroit he may have not even have played a game in the NHL yet.

Old
02-04-2013, 09:04 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
The depth chart at LW after Taylor Hall is wide open. The real log jam in the organization is at RW. So the door is wide open for Magnus to grab a top six spot, not the other way around. If he cant beat a rookie (Yakupov) or a veteran who has motivational and injury issues (Hemsky), then he really isnt cut out for the job in the first place.

Paajarvi had a top six role handed to him in his rookie season. Its not like he has never been given a chance. If he was in Detroit he may have not even have played a game in the NHL yet.
Last sentence is key.

He might have been a better player in the long run had he not been rushed to the NHL.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:04 AM
Dosing

Quote:

Your proving the running point yourself, any team with the ability to properly evaluate talent would know if the player is ready. He should have been in the ahl from the start, and if no room there somewhere else. You dont take a top6 player and shape him into a defensive grinder. There's nothing as pitiful as excuses for incompetence.

Dosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:14 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosing View Post
Your proving the running point yourself, any team with the ability to properly evaluate talent would know if the player is ready. He should have been in the ahl from the start, and if no room there somewhere else. You dont take a top6 player and shape him into a defensive grinder. There's nothing as pitiful as excuses for incompetence.
There is something more pitiful.

Saying its everyone but the player's fault.

From what Ive seen, Magnus may not have it in him. Not every prospect turns into an nhl player. Whether they spend their entire careers in the AHL or not. Sometimes they just never get to that next level.

Old
02-04-2013, 09:16 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Last sentence is key.

He might have been a better player in the long run had he not been rushed to the NHL.
Have you seen him play in the AHL?

Its not like he is thriving down there either.

Maybe he just doesnt have what it takes? He has the tools but no tool box.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:30 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Have you seen him play in the AHL?

Its not like he is thriving down there either.

Maybe he just doesnt have what it takes? He has the tools but no tool box.
I always doubted his natural skills (mostly finishing ability).

But I think had he stayed in Sweden longer then transitioned to North America starting in the AHL, he maybe have been a better prospect than what he has become.

He was rushed to the show....not all young players step in and contribute.

I'm not taking any of the blame away from the player, but I don't believe the position he's been put in by the Oilers organization was the best for THIS player.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Garl

Quote:

Who are you kidding? "He can't beat a rookie". This rookie is a whooping 1st overall pick! Of course he will be given all the chances to succeed, and well, he's a very talented player.
"Veteran with health and motivational issues". Yes beating Ales Hemsky for a spot is such an easy task. LOL.

I'm not even talking about the current situation. I'm talking about the fact that Oilers have no place for him in TOP 6. And will not have that place in next several years.

Pretty much the only way he can get a roster spot at this point is to make it as a 3rd liner.