HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Komarov discussion thread.

Old
02-03-2013, 10:40 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

vCash: 500
he took boychuk out with his left thigh
i hear theyre built like tree trunks

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:57 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
I would have liked to see how Chara fares against someone his own size though. Note: I'm a big admirer of Chara, but he can't help but look like a bully taking on players significantly smaller (which is most of the league)
Chara and Scott would be a very interesting fight. A battle of the giants. Chara has fought one other giant by the name of Boris Valabik. He did well in that one. I'm a B's fan so trading off Chara for Scott just isn't good regardless if he could rag doll Scott. I'm not saying he could.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:00 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

I'm not all that educated on Komarov but if he could fight he'd be a great asset. Just a few middle weight fights when needed and his value would be pretty high pretty quickly. Maybe you guys can inform me because maybe he is a mild fighter already.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:27 PM
Kingstonian84*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
I'm not all that educated on Komarov but if he could fight he'd be a great asset. Just a few middle weight fights when needed and his value would be pretty high pretty quickly. Maybe you guys can inform me because maybe he is a mild fighter already.
1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4oG_f32C_M

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK32axiBKp0

3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0m0qB0HOJg

These are the only 3 fights I could find of him, each fight occured in a different league. I wouldn't say he's a legit fighter, but he doesn't seem to have a problem dropping them when push comes to shove either.

Kingstonian84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:38 PM
12345*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
I'm not mad at all, just thought it was very odd that the original poster would be talking about how funny it was to see the reaction that "clean hit" caused. I assumed, even the most hopelessly biased observer would be able to see that a hit when the person receiving the hit never had control of the puck would draw the attention of other Bruins on the ice and certainly wouldn't be dubbed a "clean hit."

As for Kronwall, he may very well "get away with that" but simply by using the term "getting away with it" you are acknowledging that it's clearly not a clean hit, which was all I was trying to point out.
He gets away with it because it is very much a grey zone. While puck possession is defined clearly by the NHL Rulebook, once the puck is in someone's feet, a large proportion believe that is considered possession. Some referees think it is legal, others don't. And a lot of it has to do with the severity of the collision and the awkwardness with which the player goes down.

12345* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:39 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafDangler View Post
Leading the league in hits is a negative stat IMO. It means when he is on the ice the other team most likely has possession of the puck. In order to rack up hit numbers your line needs to be bad. It's similar to how Crosby always has a high turnover rate. When you have the puck all the time you tend to give it away more than others.

I see Komarov as a grittier Rickard Wallin. I expect him to be one and done and back to Europe next year unless he can really step up his play.
I disagree its a negative stat. What about when u dump and chase like the Leafs do all game and your going to hit the Dman in the corner to gain back puck possession. Thats one instance where he lays the body, on the penalty kill, defending the forecheck, during the cycle game in both zones. He hits anything that moves.

Komarov in my opinion rides that fine line of his hits almost being late, its perfect timing to hit late but legal. Thats one thing that pisses players off, he finishes every single check and alot of them are just inside of being called a late hit. Its incredible timing on him. He is quickly becoming one of my favourite Leafs and I bet alot of other teams would love to have Komarov. His net drive on the winning goal by Frattin a few games ago was huge for that goal as he drew 2 opposing players with him, leaving Frattin alone. Komarov is very valuble. His work ethic is inspiring to his team-mates and shows leadership.

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:42 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

hopefully he scores one soon

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:06 AM
atleastimnotahabsfan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX6z7GSkfBQ

atleastimnotahabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:19 PM
Cleets

I gotta pay closer attention. Had no idea he was hitting so much.

Interesting how the top 7 'hitters' are from the Eastern Conference.

Cleets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:21 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
he took boychuk out with his left thigh
i hear theyre built like tree trunks
they are tree trunks

Eyedea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Kyle Doobas
#groovystats

vCash: 1170
I love how people are comparing him to Rickard Wallin based on absolutely nothing other than being European

Kyle Doobas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Parkdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by atleastimnotahabsfan View Post
Thanks for the link!!

Parkdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:39 PM
Parkdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonian84 View Post

These are the only 3 fights I could find of him, each fight occured in a different league. I wouldn't say he's a legit fighter, but he doesn't seem to have a problem dropping them when push comes to shove either.
Thanks for finding the links. He's not really a "fighter", but one can see he's accountable for his physical play. I know there is a big difference, but it brought back memories of Tim Horton's altercations...no punching by Tim, but fights ended with his "bear hugs".

Old
02-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Parkdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
Chara and Scott would be a very interesting fight. A battle of the giants. Chara has fought one other giant by the name of Boris Valabik. He did well in that one. I'm a B's fan so trading off Chara for Scott just isn't good regardless if he could rag doll Scott. I'm not saying he could.
I think Chara's hands are much quicker than Scott's.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:27 PM
Number13

Any game he is going to do this to someone:

Number13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:18 PM
newfy

Has he been throwing many big hits or mostly just consistently physical? I havent paid much attention to him

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:49 PM
Parkdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Has he been throwing many big hits or mostly just consistently physical? I havent paid much attention to him
Consistently finishing his checks...does not pick his spots. High hockey IQ.

Old
02-04-2013, 06:01 PM
Antropovsky

He reminds me of a more pesky Kulemin, hopefully Komarovs game rubs off on some guys, and they break out of their trances. Komisarek isn't nearly as physically intimidating or confident as he used too, Kulemin finishes a little less checks now too.

McClement + Komarov were two of the most effective players on the ice Vs Boston.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:17 PM
buntek

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafDangler View Post
Leading the league in hits is a negative stat IMO. It means when he is on the ice the other team most likely has possession of the puck. In order to rack up hit numbers your line needs to be bad. It's similar to how Crosby always has a high turnover rate. When you have the puck all the time you tend to give it away more than others.

I see Komarov as a grittier Rickard Wallin. I expect him to be one and done and back to Europe next year unless he can really step up his play.
I hope you're watching tonights game, and I hope you've had time to rethink your opinion.

buntek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:04 PM
FinRuutu
Red Wins

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number13 View Post
Any game he is going to do this to someone:

Thats actually Komarov being tackled by Mikko Jokela.

FinRuutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:25 AM
nonoob12

here is picture of young Leo Komarov. http://t.co/DKWfbSdM
Somebody got him in tape at pietarsaari 1998 watching floorball game.

nonoob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:53 AM
redbull
game on

Whether he leads the league or not, there's no way that's a "bad stat" at all. The Leaf's puck possession is what it is, why is Komarov hitting so much more than anyone else then?

Fact is, the Leafs have very few players that finish their checks. VERY FEW. They play a soft game.

The answer is NOT in two goons who play 4-5 sheltered minutes a night and have an odd, pointless fight. It's your top minute players that need to finish checks and play with emotion, intensity, desperation.

Komarov plays that way. Grabo tries hard but not that type of player. Kessel, knock him all you want, he's been one of the better players this year, just getting zero results. Bozak is a good player, just MISCAST.

They need a couple of big, AND TALENTED forwards that they can never acquire unless it's via UFA (if they're lucky) or by finishing last and waiting 3-4 years.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:33 PM
mirasane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonian84 View Post

Here is one more:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BwQUY3aKy4 (Komarov has white jersey)

mirasane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:05 PM
Phatic

this guy has been fun to watch! he fits into various rolls and most importantly, has made every line hes played on better!
- kadri and frattin had more space to create with him on the ice
- 4th line had more energy, and werent hemmed in their own end.
- pk looked like ES with him and mcclement on the ice

now to figure out where he should be playing... id hate to demote him to the 4th line with the way he's been playing, but man did he make them look 1000% better. float him between the kid line and 4th line i guess. give him 18 min a game

Phatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:34 AM
Finnpin

Leo is like Swiss Army Knife in Carlyle's toolbox... you can do so many things with just that one "knife"

And hits stats atm:

1. Luke Schenn 46
2. Alexei Emelin 45
3. Leo Komarov 43
4. Matt Martin 42
5. Chris Neil 39

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote