Mikael Granlund IV

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2013, 01:47 PM
Dr Jan Itor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwInS1095 View Post
Who is going to contribute more than Granlund is at the 2nd line center spot? Cullen? No. Brodziak? Brodziak is -4 this year and has 1 point. Granlund is even and has 3 points. Some AHL scrub? No AHL center is going to play any better or add more to the team than Granlund is.
Larsson isn't "some AHL scrub".

Parise - Koivu - Granlund
Bouchard - Larsson - Heatley

Old
02-03-2013, 01:47 PM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Granlund needs to think of Cullen/Bouchard and Setoguchi as deluxe versions of Pesonen and Immonen.

Old
02-03-2013, 02:06 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Larsson isn't "some AHL scrub".

Parise - Koivu - Granlund
Bouchard - Larsson - Heatley
Larsson isn't an "AHL scrub", but he's also not an upgrade over Granlund, either.

Old
02-03-2013, 02:10 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Larsson isn't an "AHL scrub", but he's also not an upgrade over Granlund, either.
Just an idea.

You'd lose some offensive creativity, but might gain defensively and in the puck protection/cycle game.

I advocated starting Granlund on the wing, so I wouldn't see it as a big deal moving him now. I'm guessing the organization doesn't feel the same.

Old
02-03-2013, 02:34 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Just an idea.

You'd lose some offensive creativity, but might gain defensively and in the puck protection/cycle game.

I advocated starting Granlund on the wing, so I wouldn't see it as a big deal moving him now. I'm guessing the organization doesn't feel the same.

Judging that they haven't made that switch yet its seems like they don't.

He will be a center or moved to Houston is the vibe I get.

Old
02-03-2013, 02:46 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
What if... Coyle plays C on Granlund's line?

02-03-2013, 02:48 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
What if... Coyle plays C on Granlund's line?
Coyle hasn't played any center Since Boston U. Hasn't played center at all in the pros. Won't start now..

Old
02-03-2013, 03:34 PM
Beegoalie

Granlund 50/50 to be scratched tomorrow. My gut says he is and Seto plays on 4th line. Bigger insult to him to get his game moving than to scratch him IMO. Granlund might be on his way to Houston sooner than I expected.

Old
02-03-2013, 06:00 PM
Goldmember

Hmm.. Ok, Granlund might be going to Houston.
Thats not the end of world if that happens.
It is obvious that he has diffuculties to play as a center in NHL.
I`m not sure is it better to move Mg to play as a winger or to Houston to play as a no.1 center..? I think Yeo and Flech really want this guy to be our future center so it seems likely that Mikael might be going to Houston.

competition! Thats what sports are all about!

And all the best for Coyle`s debut game!!

Go Wild!

Old
02-04-2013, 01:06 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Here's the thing; why is Bouchard a wing and not a center and yet Granlund is a center and not a wing? Bouchard is taller and more creative than Granlund at this point. It makes no sense to keep Granny at center when he isn't built to be a center.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:52 AM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Here's the thing; why is Bouchard a wing and not a center and yet Granlund is a center and not a wing? Bouchard is taller and more creative than Granlund at this point. It makes no sense to keep Granny at center when he isn't built to be a center.
??

Not so sure about this one. Thats like comparing Frodo to Sam. There both hobbits either way.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:56 AM
Beegoalie

Quote:

Granlund has dominated every league he has played in at Center. Including the World Juniors and World Championships, he has shown that he can and will be a future top 6 center man. Its not that he "isn't built to be a center"

He is 20 years old and playing in his rookie season 8 games in. Give him a break there will be growing pains but he has the vision and puck skills that very few players have and eventually they will translate to the NHL.

For right now he needs to make plays at a quicker pace and become stronger on the puck especially along the wall. Also face off's and defensive zone turnovers have become a problem and he will need to work on those to become a solid everyday NHL player, the offense will certainly be there as long as he does his job defensively to keep himself in the lineup in a prominent role.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:06 AM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

At this point it looks like Granlund's ceiling is Bouchard. But wait Granlund doesn't have Butch's skating skills, and I have yet to see these great hands. Sorry to be the downer guys but his skills aren't elite. He needs to drastically improve his speed and strength to play in this league. He has held the puck on his tape in the offensive zone for no more than 4 seconds at a time.

He needs to be back down in Houston improving what he has now seen that his game is lacking. Hopefully someday we will see a return of the FBJ but as of now I have lost all faith in him being our top prospect. He still isn't ready and probably won't be for another year or more. Strength takes time to build and speed I don't know he just need to keep moving his feet and stop coasting.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:06 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
??

Not so sure about this one. Thats like comparing Frodo to Sam. There both hobbits either way.
Still Bouchard has at least an inch on Granlund, if not more and a little bit of size.

Quote:
Granlund has dominated every league he has played in at Center. Including the World Juniors and World Championships, he has shown that he can and will be a future top 6 center man. Its not that he "isn't built to be a center"
Bouchard dominated the CHL as a center. But he isn't built to be a center yet. Moving him to wing would be better for his development.

Quote:
He is 20 years old and playing in his rookie season 8 games in. Give him a break there will be growing pains but he has the vision and puck skills that very few players have and eventually they will translate to the NHL.
Great. Vision and puck skills. Can that stop him from falling down all over the place? Or getting crunched and picked on. There has been a lot of talented players that simply can't translate over to the NHL. Could be a St. Louis? Possibly (though St. Louis is a winger). Or he could be just another talented European that can't make the adjustment due to size.

We're 1/6 through the season already. Granlund has had training camp. He has had a few games in the AHL. This is not just disappointing but bad. Can he turn it around? Possibly. But we need to put him in a position to succeed and putting him as a top 6 center is not good for his development. Too much responsibility.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:30 AM
toewsintangibles

Quote:
Actually he's played wing in the World Championships, atleast the one he dominated in 2011.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:43 AM
heksagon

Quote:

For right now he needs to make plays at a quicker pace and become stronger on the puck especially along the wall. Also face off's and defensive zone turnovers have become a problem and he will need to work on those to become a solid everyday NHL player, the offense will certainly be there as long as he does his job defensively to keep himself in the lineup in a prominent role.
Like toewsintangibles said, he actually played wing in the World Championships, and IMO he is clearly better as a winger. In his rookie season in Sm-Liiga he played wing too, and then struggled a bit at the start when he was moved to center next year. If I were the one to decide, I'd try him on the wing before scratching him or sending him to Houston.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:44 AM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

Quote:
Great. Vision and puck skills. Can that stop him from falling down all over the place? Or getting crunched and picked on. There has been a lot of talented players that simply can't translate over to the NHL. Could be a St. Louis? Possibly (though St. Louis is a winger). Or he could be just another talented European that can't make the adjustment due to size.
The thing St. Louis has that Granlund doesn't is speed. He is one of the best skaters in the league. He is also extremely elusive. You don't see him getting hit ever, yet he is everywhere making plays behind the net and on the rush. He is just a one of a kind player with exceptional passing ability to go with his speed and leg strength something Granlund should take note of.

Granlund should take some tips from St. Louis and his workout routine

Last edited by Randy BoBandy: 02-04-2013 at 03:04 AM.
Old
02-04-2013, 02:50 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patp14 View Post
The thing St. Louis has that Granlund doesn't is speed. He is one of the best skaters in the league. He is also extremely elusive. You don't see him getting hit ever, yet he is everywhere making plays behind the net and on the rush. He is just a one of a kind player with exceptional passing ability to go with his speed and leg strength something Granlund should take not of.
Which is going to be a problem for Granlund.

I'm not worried about points or offense. It's the fact that Granlund does not look like an NHL player. It's fine if he was providing some good defense and creating chances, but he's a liability on the ice and the Wild can't afford to have that as a 2nd line center.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:32 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by heksagon View Post
Like toewsintangibles said, he actually played wing in the World Championships, and IMO he is clearly better as a winger. In his rookie season in Sm-Liiga he played wing too, and then struggled a bit at the start when he was moved to center next year. If I were the one to decide, I'd try him on the wing before scratching him or sending him to Houston.
I totally agree with you. But it seems they want to send him a message saying that if he can't make it in the NHL as a center, the Wild has no use for him, at least for the time being. Not able to play center ---> not in the lineup

I don't know if anyone's ever tried this approach with him before and considering that easing him in as a winger into a new league has worked several times before, I find it difficult to understand why Yeo refuses to try it now.

In the AHL Granlund was still somewhat able to use his regular weapons (one of them being the ability to control the pace of the game and compensate for his deficiencies that way). It was more difficult than in SM-liiga, but it still worked without him having to make any significant adjustments. That's a big reason why he racked up all those points while playing center in Houston.

In the NHL it just doesn't work the same way, and he needs time to understand the game until he's able to make adjustments to his game and play center. Refusing to use him as a winger at least temporarily takes this opportunity away from him.

His self-confidence at the moment seems nonexistent and sitting in the press box or being sent down won't make it any better. When he's confident, he has a much better chance to come up with ways to do better.

Even if he goes back to Houston and gets back into the game, that doesn't really increase his chances of doing better as a center in the NHL the next time. The game's just too different in the AHL and MiG will go back to using his regular weapons, because they still work to a certain extent. He should be forced to adjust his game, but not by overwhelming him by playing him as a center in the NHL right now.

As a winger he'd have a better chance to get into the game, to observe and eventually improve his own game according to the requirements of the league. Maybe he will be given that chance next season, but I'm really not holding my breath on it happening this season.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:54 AM
Hagged

Quote:
It's fine if he was providing some good defense and creating chances, but he's a liability on the ice and the Wild can't afford to have that as a 2nd line center.
This, Granlund has been on the ice for like half of Minnesota's goals against, and obviosly he has been the reason for the unproductive start of the second line. Granlund needs to be sent down, not only for his development but for the second line to start producing again.

Old
02-04-2013, 05:46 AM
Henri M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkine View Post
This, Granlund has been on the ice for like half of Minnesota's goals against, and obviosly he has been the reason for the unproductive start of the second line. Granlund needs to be sent down, not only for his development but for the second line to start producing again.
What are you talking about?
How is that even possible? He is +/- 0. And he has created a couple of chances almost each gmae, but his linemates have not converted on them. What are you talking about?

Old
02-04-2013, 05:50 AM
urho

vCash: 695
Quote:
Really? Isn't he like +/- 0 opposed to 3rd line which is on the minus-side?

My own solution still is to try him on the wing while spreading the offense a little bit. Try him with Koivu, that'll boost him.

Old
02-04-2013, 07:37 AM
QnebO

Quote:
This.

Wait. No. That's actually total ********... Haters gonna hate. He hasn't been any kind of superstar, but its not needed to lie here.

Granlund hasnt been on the ice when goals against Wilds have been scored, why to say so if it's actually false? Search for me more than 1 goal against when he has been on the ice? Granlund has been on the ice only during one(1) goal against wilds, I have seen 7 games. If in the 7 games he is there just once when opponent scores, how is it a problem? He has been very good defensively and responsible, the problem is the offensive game of him and the whole line. Doesn't help that the whole wilds team sucked ass in last game against the Ducks...

What ever the changes are, Wilds definedly need some changes and fast. It might be that granlund is out, which is sad, because he can be great and things just havent worked out right away this time. :/

Last edited by QnebO: 02-04-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old
02-04-2013, 08:53 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
This.

Wait. No. That's actually total ********... Haters gonna hate. He hasn't been any kind of superstar, but its not needed to lie here.

Granlund hasnt been on the ice when goals against Wilds have been scored, why to say so if it's actually false? Search for me more than 1 goal against when he has been on the ice? Granlund has been on the ice only during one(1) goal against wilds, I have seen 7 games. If in the 7 games he is there just once when opponent scores, how is it a problem? He has been very good defensively and responsible, the problem is the offensive game of him and the whole line. Doesn't help that the whole wilds team sucked ass in last game against the Ducks...

What ever the changes are, Wilds definedly need some changes and fast. It might be that granlund is out, which is sad, because he can be great and things just havent worked out right away this time. :/
X2

Agree completely.

Has Granlund gotten off to a slower start than many have expected? Sure? Are there some obvious flaws in his game right now? Sure? But no need to make chit up to pile on the guy.

Right now, I'm seeing him struggle with the physicality of the game. He is getting knocked off the puck a little too easy and has been losing his guy on occasion in the defensive zone.

Both of these can be addressed in the NHL. If Yeo is the coach that Fletcher thinks he is, Granlund will improve in both those areas. He's not weak (180+ lbs), he just needs more time banging bodies with NHL players, you can't experience that in the AHL.

He is also adjusting so the speed of the NHL (I don't mean foot speed). It's more of a mental adjustment than anything.

Give him a little more time and he'll be fine.

Old
02-04-2013, 09:12 AM
nickschultzfan

Granlund hasn't done great, but Setoguchi and Cullen have been a joke. They have been playing as bad as Granlund and they aren't rookies.

Sure, Granlund drops his stick all the time. But only about as much as Cullen falls down when nobody even touches him.

Closed Thread