HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Mikael Granlund IV

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-03-2013, 01:47 PM
  #726
Dr Jan Itor
Registered User
 
Dr Jan Itor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MinneSNOWta
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwInS1095 View Post
Who is going to contribute more than Granlund is at the 2nd line center spot? Cullen? No. Brodziak? Brodziak is -4 this year and has 1 point. Granlund is even and has 3 points. Some AHL scrub? No AHL center is going to play any better or add more to the team than Granlund is.
Larsson isn't "some AHL scrub".

Parise - Koivu - Granlund
Bouchard - Larsson - Heatley

Dr Jan Itor is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 01:47 PM
  #727
mattihp
Registered User
 
mattihp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Årsta
Country: Finland
Posts: 14,738
vCash: 50
Granlund needs to think of Cullen/Bouchard and Setoguchi as deluxe versions of Pesonen and Immonen.

mattihp is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 02:06 PM
  #728
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect
 
MuckOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Right behind you....
Country: United States
Posts: 6,132
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Larsson isn't "some AHL scrub".

Parise - Koivu - Granlund
Bouchard - Larsson - Heatley
Larsson isn't an "AHL scrub", but he's also not an upgrade over Granlund, either.

MuckOG is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 02:10 PM
  #729
Dr Jan Itor
Registered User
 
Dr Jan Itor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MinneSNOWta
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Larsson isn't an "AHL scrub", but he's also not an upgrade over Granlund, either.
Just an idea.

You'd lose some offensive creativity, but might gain defensively and in the puck protection/cycle game.

I advocated starting Granlund on the wing, so I wouldn't see it as a big deal moving him now. I'm guessing the organization doesn't feel the same.

Dr Jan Itor is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 02:34 PM
  #730
Beegoalie
Registered User
 
Beegoalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pominville Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 1,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Just an idea.

You'd lose some offensive creativity, but might gain defensively and in the puck protection/cycle game.

I advocated starting Granlund on the wing, so I wouldn't see it as a big deal moving him now. I'm guessing the organization doesn't feel the same.

Judging that they haven't made that switch yet its seems like they don't.

He will be a center or moved to Houston is the vibe I get.

Beegoalie is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 02:46 PM
  #731
Puhis
@Puhis46
 
Puhis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Espoo, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 8,892
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
What if... Coyle plays C on Granlund's line?

__________________
"Flat out until you see God, count to three, then brake!" - Kevin Schwantz
Puhis is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 02:48 PM
  #732
Beegoalie
Registered User
 
Beegoalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pominville Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 1,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
What if... Coyle plays C on Granlund's line?
Coyle hasn't played any center Since Boston U. Hasn't played center at all in the pros. Won't start now..

Beegoalie is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 03:34 PM
  #733
Beegoalie
Registered User
 
Beegoalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pominville Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 1,050
vCash: 500
Granlund 50/50 to be scratched tomorrow. My gut says he is and Seto plays on 4th line. Bigger insult to him to get his game moving than to scratch him IMO. Granlund might be on his way to Houston sooner than I expected.

Beegoalie is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 06:00 PM
  #734
Goldmember
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Finland
Posts: 50
vCash: 500
Hmm.. Ok, Granlund might be going to Houston.
Thats not the end of world if that happens.
It is obvious that he has diffuculties to play as a center in NHL.
I`m not sure is it better to move Mg to play as a winger or to Houston to play as a no.1 center..? I think Yeo and Flech really want this guy to be our future center so it seems likely that Mikael might be going to Houston.

competition! Thats what sports are all about!

And all the best for Coyle`s debut game!!

Go Wild!

Goldmember is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 01:06 AM
  #735
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,317
vCash: 500
Here's the thing; why is Bouchard a wing and not a center and yet Granlund is a center and not a wing? Bouchard is taller and more creative than Granlund at this point. It makes no sense to keep Granny at center when he isn't built to be a center.

thestonedkoala is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 01:52 AM
  #736
Beegoalie
Registered User
 
Beegoalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pominville Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 1,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Here's the thing; why is Bouchard a wing and not a center and yet Granlund is a center and not a wing? Bouchard is taller and more creative than Granlund at this point. It makes no sense to keep Granny at center when he isn't built to be a center.
??

Not so sure about this one. Thats like comparing Frodo to Sam. There both hobbits either way.

Beegoalie is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 01:56 AM
  #737
Beegoalie
Registered User
 
Beegoalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pominville Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 1,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Here's the thing; why is Bouchard a wing and not a center and yet Granlund is a center and not a wing? Bouchard is taller and more creative than Granlund at this point. It makes no sense to keep Granny at center when he isn't built to be a center.

Granlund has dominated every league he has played in at Center. Including the World Juniors and World Championships, he has shown that he can and will be a future top 6 center man. Its not that he "isn't built to be a center"

He is 20 years old and playing in his rookie season 8 games in. Give him a break there will be growing pains but he has the vision and puck skills that very few players have and eventually they will translate to the NHL.

For right now he needs to make plays at a quicker pace and become stronger on the puck especially along the wall. Also face off's and defensive zone turnovers have become a problem and he will need to work on those to become a solid everyday NHL player, the offense will certainly be there as long as he does his job defensively to keep himself in the lineup in a prominent role.

Beegoalie is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 02:06 AM
  #738
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party
 
Randy BoBandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,166
vCash: 500
At this point it looks like Granlund's ceiling is Bouchard. But wait Granlund doesn't have Butch's skating skills, and I have yet to see these great hands. Sorry to be the downer guys but his skills aren't elite. He needs to drastically improve his speed and strength to play in this league. He has held the puck on his tape in the offensive zone for no more than 4 seconds at a time.

He needs to be back down in Houston improving what he has now seen that his game is lacking. Hopefully someday we will see a return of the FBJ but as of now I have lost all faith in him being our top prospect. He still isn't ready and probably won't be for another year or more. Strength takes time to build and speed I don't know he just need to keep moving his feet and stop coasting.

Randy BoBandy is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 02:06 AM
  #739
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
??

Not so sure about this one. Thats like comparing Frodo to Sam. There both hobbits either way.
Still Bouchard has at least an inch on Granlund, if not more and a little bit of size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
Granlund has dominated every league he has played in at Center. Including the World Juniors and World Championships, he has shown that he can and will be a future top 6 center man. Its not that he "isn't built to be a center"
Bouchard dominated the CHL as a center. But he isn't built to be a center yet. Moving him to wing would be better for his development.

Quote:
He is 20 years old and playing in his rookie season 8 games in. Give him a break there will be growing pains but he has the vision and puck skills that very few players have and eventually they will translate to the NHL.
Great. Vision and puck skills. Can that stop him from falling down all over the place? Or getting crunched and picked on. There has been a lot of talented players that simply can't translate over to the NHL. Could be a St. Louis? Possibly (though St. Louis is a winger). Or he could be just another talented European that can't make the adjustment due to size.

We're 1/6 through the season already. Granlund has had training camp. He has had a few games in the AHL. This is not just disappointing but bad. Can he turn it around? Possibly. But we need to put him in a position to succeed and putting him as a top 6 center is not good for his development. Too much responsibility.

thestonedkoala is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 02:30 AM
  #740
toewsintangibles
Registered User
 
toewsintangibles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
Granlund has dominated every league he has played in at Center. Including the World Juniors and World Championships, he has shown that he can and will be a future top 6 center man. Its not that he "isn't built to be a center"
Actually he's played wing in the World Championships, atleast the one he dominated in 2011.

toewsintangibles is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 02:43 AM
  #741
heksagon
Registered User
 
heksagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Finland
Country: Tokelau
Posts: 922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
Granlund has dominated every league he has played in at Center. Including the World Juniors and World Championships, he has shown that he can and will be a future top 6 center man. Its not that he "isn't built to be a center"

He is 20 years old and playing in his rookie season 8 games in. Give him a break there will be growing pains but he has the vision and puck skills that very few players have and eventually they will translate to the NHL.

For right now he needs to make plays at a quicker pace and become stronger on the puck especially along the wall. Also face off's and defensive zone turnovers have become a problem and he will need to work on those to become a solid everyday NHL player, the offense will certainly be there as long as he does his job defensively to keep himself in the lineup in a prominent role.
Like toewsintangibles said, he actually played wing in the World Championships, and IMO he is clearly better as a winger. In his rookie season in Sm-Liiga he played wing too, and then struggled a bit at the start when he was moved to center next year. If I were the one to decide, I'd try him on the wing before scratching him or sending him to Houston.

heksagon is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 02:44 AM
  #742
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party
 
Randy BoBandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Great. Vision and puck skills. Can that stop him from falling down all over the place? Or getting crunched and picked on. There has been a lot of talented players that simply can't translate over to the NHL. Could be a St. Louis? Possibly (though St. Louis is a winger). Or he could be just another talented European that can't make the adjustment due to size.
The thing St. Louis has that Granlund doesn't is speed. He is one of the best skaters in the league. He is also extremely elusive. You don't see him getting hit ever, yet he is everywhere making plays behind the net and on the rush. He is just a one of a kind player with exceptional passing ability to go with his speed and leg strength something Granlund should take note of.

Granlund should take some tips from St. Louis and his workout routine



Last edited by Randy BoBandy: 02-04-2013 at 03:04 AM.
Randy BoBandy is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 02:50 AM
  #743
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patp14 View Post
The thing St. Louis has that Granlund doesn't is speed. He is one of the best skaters in the league. He is also extremely elusive. You don't see him getting hit ever, yet he is everywhere making plays behind the net and on the rush. He is just a one of a kind player with exceptional passing ability to go with his speed and leg strength something Granlund should take not of.
Which is going to be a problem for Granlund.

I'm not worried about points or offense. It's the fact that Granlund does not look like an NHL player. It's fine if he was providing some good defense and creating chances, but he's a liability on the ice and the Wild can't afford to have that as a 2nd line center.

thestonedkoala is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 03:32 AM
  #744
Gaps
Registered User
 
Gaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heksagon View Post
Like toewsintangibles said, he actually played wing in the World Championships, and IMO he is clearly better as a winger. In his rookie season in Sm-Liiga he played wing too, and then struggled a bit at the start when he was moved to center next year. If I were the one to decide, I'd try him on the wing before scratching him or sending him to Houston.
I totally agree with you. But it seems they want to send him a message saying that if he can't make it in the NHL as a center, the Wild has no use for him, at least for the time being. Not able to play center ---> not in the lineup

I don't know if anyone's ever tried this approach with him before and considering that easing him in as a winger into a new league has worked several times before, I find it difficult to understand why Yeo refuses to try it now.

In the AHL Granlund was still somewhat able to use his regular weapons (one of them being the ability to control the pace of the game and compensate for his deficiencies that way). It was more difficult than in SM-liiga, but it still worked without him having to make any significant adjustments. That's a big reason why he racked up all those points while playing center in Houston.

In the NHL it just doesn't work the same way, and he needs time to understand the game until he's able to make adjustments to his game and play center. Refusing to use him as a winger at least temporarily takes this opportunity away from him.

His self-confidence at the moment seems nonexistent and sitting in the press box or being sent down won't make it any better. When he's confident, he has a much better chance to come up with ways to do better.

Even if he goes back to Houston and gets back into the game, that doesn't really increase his chances of doing better as a center in the NHL the next time. The game's just too different in the AHL and MiG will go back to using his regular weapons, because they still work to a certain extent. He should be forced to adjust his game, but not by overwhelming him by playing him as a center in the NHL right now.

As a winger he'd have a better chance to get into the game, to observe and eventually improve his own game according to the requirements of the league. Maybe he will be given that chance next season, but I'm really not holding my breath on it happening this season.

Gaps is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:54 AM
  #745
Hagged
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country:
Posts: 1,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
It's fine if he was providing some good defense and creating chances, but he's a liability on the ice and the Wild can't afford to have that as a 2nd line center.
This, Granlund has been on the ice for like half of Minnesota's goals against, and obviosly he has been the reason for the unproductive start of the second line. Granlund needs to be sent down, not only for his development but for the second line to start producing again.

Hagged is online now  
Old
02-04-2013, 05:46 AM
  #746
Henri M
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Norway
Posts: 130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkine View Post
This, Granlund has been on the ice for like half of Minnesota's goals against, and obviosly he has been the reason for the unproductive start of the second line. Granlund needs to be sent down, not only for his development but for the second line to start producing again.
What are you talking about?
How is that even possible? He is +/- 0. And he has created a couple of chances almost each gmae, but his linemates have not converted on them. What are you talking about?

Henri M is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 05:50 AM
  #747
urho
Registered User
 
urho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oulu
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,674
vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkine View Post
This, Granlund has been on the ice for like half of Minnesota's goals against, and obviosly he has been the reason for the unproductive start of the second line. Granlund needs to be sent down, not only for his development but for the second line to start producing again.
Really? Isn't he like +/- 0 opposed to 3rd line which is on the minus-side?

My own solution still is to try him on the wing while spreading the offense a little bit. Try him with Koivu, that'll boost him.

urho is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 07:37 AM
  #748
QnebO
Registered User
 
QnebO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 4,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkine View Post
This, Granlund has been on the ice for like half of Minnesota's goals against, and obviosly he has been the reason for the unproductive start of the second line. Granlund needs to be sent down, not only for his development but for the second line to start producing again.
This.

Wait. No. That's actually total ********... Haters gonna hate. He hasn't been any kind of superstar, but its not needed to lie here.


Granlund hasnt been on the ice when goals against Wilds have been scored, why to say so if it's actually false? Search for me more than 1 goal against when he has been on the ice? Granlund has been on the ice only during one(1) goal against wilds, I have seen 7 games. If in the 7 games he is there just once when opponent scores, how is it a problem? He has been very good defensively and responsible, the problem is the offensive game of him and the whole line. Doesn't help that the whole wilds team sucked ass in last game against the Ducks...


What ever the changes are, Wilds definedly need some changes and fast. It might be that granlund is out, which is sad, because he can be great and things just havent worked out right away this time. :/


Last edited by QnebO: 02-04-2013 at 08:00 AM.
QnebO is online now  
Old
02-04-2013, 08:53 AM
  #749
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect
 
MuckOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Right behind you....
Country: United States
Posts: 6,132
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
This.

Wait. No. That's actually total ********... Haters gonna hate. He hasn't been any kind of superstar, but its not needed to lie here.


Granlund hasnt been on the ice when goals against Wilds have been scored, why to say so if it's actually false? Search for me more than 1 goal against when he has been on the ice? Granlund has been on the ice only during one(1) goal against wilds, I have seen 7 games. If in the 7 games he is there just once when opponent scores, how is it a problem? He has been very good defensively and responsible, the problem is the offensive game of him and the whole line. Doesn't help that the whole wilds team sucked ass in last game against the Ducks...


What ever the changes are, Wilds definedly need some changes and fast. It might be that granlund is out, which is sad, because he can be great and things just havent worked out right away this time. :/
X2

Agree completely.

Has Granlund gotten off to a slower start than many have expected? Sure? Are there some obvious flaws in his game right now? Sure? But no need to make chit up to pile on the guy.

Right now, I'm seeing him struggle with the physicality of the game. He is getting knocked off the puck a little too easy and has been losing his guy on occasion in the defensive zone.

Both of these can be addressed in the NHL. If Yeo is the coach that Fletcher thinks he is, Granlund will improve in both those areas. He's not weak (180+ lbs), he just needs more time banging bodies with NHL players, you can't experience that in the AHL.

He is also adjusting so the speed of the NHL (I don't mean foot speed). It's more of a mental adjustment than anything.

Give him a little more time and he'll be fine.

MuckOG is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 09:12 AM
  #750
nickschultzfan
Registered User
 
nickschultzfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,877
vCash: 500
Granlund hasn't done great, but Setoguchi and Cullen have been a joke. They have been playing as bad as Granlund and they aren't rookies.

Sure, Granlund drops his stick all the time. But only about as much as Cullen falls down when nobody even touches him.

nickschultzfan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.