HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Have you gone to see the Lightning away from home?

Old
02-03-2013, 06:06 AM
tattooedsean
Hockey Maniac!

vCash: 500
Have you gone to see the Lightning away from home?

Where did you go to see them play? Which was your experience like at the arenas you went to? Which places would you like to go see the Lightning play?

tattooedsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 06:41 AM
HoseEmDown

I didn't go to the game but I was at a bar in Detroit in my lightning gear while they were playing the wings. Got a few weird looks but also was bought a couple of shots which was nice.

HoseEmDown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:43 AM
LetsNotUseNames

I watched them play a few games at Philips Arena. I moved to metro Atlanta the year the Thrashers moved to Winnipeg. Even though I was never a Thrashers fan, I was disappointed that the NHL was leaving Atlanta. Philips Arena is a great venue, and I always enjoyed watching a game there.

I'm trying to put together a trip to DC for the beginning of April when the Lightning play the Caps.

LetsNotUseNames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:54 AM
brymel
HFBoards Sponsor

I have seen them play in Chicago, Detroit and St Louis. I had many people tell me not to wear my jerseys to Detroit, but my son and his friend and I all wore them. We had a great time, and lots of friendly rivalry between the people sitting by us. I am from Chicago, so I go to most Lightning games there. My friend in her Hawk's jersey and me in my Lightning jersey. My son is playing Junior hockey, and had league games in St Louis last year when the Lightning were in town. We had great seats, and it was lots of fun. I try to see them whenever they are close. Would love to see them in Nashville. I went to a Hawk's playoff game there when the Hawks won the cup. That place is a blast. I really don't think I slept the entire time I was there....way too much fun!

Last edited by brymel: 02-03-2013 at 07:56 AM. Reason: more thoughts
brymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 08:17 AM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 169
Saw them play in Sunrise. I wore a Lightning jersey and hat and had no issues besides the Panthers arena being extremely cramped.

Going Back to Cally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 08:41 AM
zeykshade

My wife and I saw the Bolts win on Long Island two years ago.

zeykshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:54 AM
The YzerJesus
Turns Piss Into Wine

vCash: 50
I live up north. I saw the Bolts play the Canadiens at the Bell Center on St. Patrick's Day. That was the game Vinny got tossed out of the game because Subban embellished the arm slash. It was also the game where Roloson made an unbelievable diving stick save. The game went to a shootout, but the Lightning ended up losing.

Overall, the atmosphere was, I thought, a little disappointing considering the legendary status the Bell center has for hockey games. It was relatively quiet throughout the game. The boo's did rain upon Vinny when he got tossed, but other than that, a little disappointed.

I also saw them play in Buffalo at the First Niagara Center, glass seats. That was a sloppy game. Two fights, Downie and Kaleta I think it was, and Malone and some other fellow. I met Pierre McGuire after the game. Bolts ended up winning 4-3 I think it was. I do remember Malone scored on a breakaway. It was a pretty cool experience. I got the "eyebrow raise" from Pavel Kubina in warmups too

Last edited by The YzerJesus: 02-03-2013 at 09:18 PM. Reason: added vids
The YzerJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:10 AM
JFleegs

I saw them play in New Jersey during the 06-07 playoffs. I wore my lecavalier jersey and my dad wore my st louis jersey. Had this devil guy scream in my face and some kids telling me lightning suck. Told the kids their parents dont even love them haha. Got some harrassment from the home fans but nothing really more then fun. People that sit around us were really nice and told us not to go to the Rangers games with an away jersey on because their fans are awful.
Lightning got shut out by marty brodeur, it was pretty amazing site exspecially sitting 10 feet behind Brodeur. The Lightning outshot them by a ton (30+ shots dont remember exactly). At the end i wore my jacket and glad i did because on the way out a crowd of devils fans surrounded this lightning fan and were harrassing the crap out of him.

JFleegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:47 AM
Xenophobia Catalyst
Fear the Flash

vCash: 3073
I have never seen them play at home (someday). I have seen them several times here in Calgary and a couple times in Edmonton. Always a good time as I go with friends who are Flames or Oiler fans so it is good friendly rivalry and they watch my back. Caught game 4 in 2004 as well and was a good experiance.

Xenophobia Catalyst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:20 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by brymel View Post
I have seen them play in Chicago, Detroit and St Louis. I had many people tell me not to wear my jerseys to Detroit, but my son and his friend and I all wore them. We had a great time, and lots of friendly rivalry between the people sitting by us. I am from Chicago, so I go to most Lightning games there. My friend in her Hawk's jersey and me in my Lightning jersey. My son is playing Junior hockey, and had league games in St Louis last year when the Lightning were in town. We had great seats, and it was lots of fun. I try to see them whenever they are close. Would love to see them in Nashville. I went to a Hawk's playoff game there when the Hawks won the cup. That place is a blast. I really don't think I slept the entire time I was there....way too much fun!
Yeah yeah yeah, party beast

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:36 PM
TBLHoser

I've been to the ACC in Toronto and was treated fine - no problems other than the odd look. Montreal fans were rude but nothing extreme. I've also heard that NY is not the place to be seen wearing the visiting teams' jersey. Generally, when I go to away games either football or hockey, I usually don't wear my team gear and not cheer too loud. Tried that in Atlanta at a Falcons game and the fans around us caught on that we weren't cheering when the Falcons scored but they were cool even though they were getting their ass kicked.

TBLHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:28 AM
BoltingAway

Saw them play in Dallas (where I live) a few times. Last year ran into Jeff Vinik on the concourse at the American Airlines Center and was able to chat with him. That alone made it one of the most memorable games I've been to. Sat in the lower level and there was actually a decent amount of other Lightning fans around me, and everyone was pretty friendly, so had a good time.

BoltingAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:13 AM
jg39
SFY is great

vCash: 517
I was at the most recent game @ Carolina, and 95% of them are good folks. There is the occasional tough guy or someone trying to impress whoever they are with who think I'm from Tampa (I was born and raised in Jacksonville,FL) and try to be clever/run their mouths. I give it right back. The Canes fans are nice with the exception of a few, and like talking hockey if you can show that you know what you're talking about. No troubles wearing a Lightning jersey, and I usually say hey to the 7-8 other people I see wearing Lightning gear.

I have also been to a TBL @ Pit game back in 06-07 at Mellon Arena and got Student Rush tickets for $20 that were 15 rows from the ice behind the Lightning net. Score! This was when the Pens were awful and had no fan base at the games, and I was cheering for the Lightning no problem. I had a few people ask why I was a fan, and when they found out I was a Florida native, that was usually sufficient, and didn't say much else. Pittsburgh fans are hit or miss, but the good ones are usually great folks as well. Old school Pens fans are great to go back and forth with. New Pens fans (who have followed the team less than 5 years) are annoying. When they have no knowledge of Jagr, Lemieux, Barrasso, etc., the comments can be all over the place, and my tolerance is diminished. I can't speak for the Console Energy Center, however, like most places, as long as the person isn't a dick to start, you can usually get along and have good conversations.

jg39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:03 AM
tattooedsean
Hockey Maniac!

Very cool responses so far!

Old
02-04-2013, 05:04 AM
tattooedsean
Hockey Maniac!

Quote:
Having grown up north of Detroit, I never noticed anyone with away jerseys getting abuse. I would say though that Colorado fans might not have wanted to be visible about their love for the Avs during those heated rivalry years.

Old
02-04-2013, 07:01 AM
brymel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooedsean View Post
Having grown up north of Detroit, I never noticed anyone with away jerseys getting abuse. I would say though that Colorado fans might not have wanted to be visible about their love for the Avs during those heated rivalry years.
A friend of mine went for a Hawks game with his then young son, and a beer tossed on them. His was wearing a Hawk's jersey, and that might have been the problem. I had no problem at all.

brymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:54 PM
Cigar City

The Garden in Boston. Nuff' said.

Cigar City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:39 PM
tattooedsean
Hockey Maniac!

Quote:
A friend of mine went for a Hawks game with his then young son, and a beer tossed on them. His was wearing a Hawk's jersey, and that might have been the problem. I had no problem at all.

Oh yeah, Chicago might not go over quite well. I once had a hot dog thrown at me at Joe Louis Arena when I was a much younger teenager by a Blackhawks fan. Detroit and chicago don't quite enjoy each other.

It is funny as I have relatives still back in Michigan and I had Aunt/Uncle/cousins that spent many years in Illinois.

Old
02-04-2013, 09:40 PM
tattooedsean
Hockey Maniac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar City View Post
The Garden in Boston. Nuff' said.

That would have been cool.

Old
02-04-2013, 09:44 PM
tattooedsean
Hockey Maniac!

Which places had the best atmosphere?

What type of areas of town were the arenas in which you have visited?

It definitely is interesting to hear how the "locals" treated you all at their arenas.

I hope to eventually get to all NHL arenas.

I guess it comes from having attended many overseas soccer matches as home and as an away supporter where they keep the away supporters away from everyone else in an "away" section that I really don't worry about the response I might receive.

That said, I don't drink and get slightly over the top when I am away from home at the arenas I have visited.

I would enjoy to see the Lightning away in the playoffs.

Old
02-04-2013, 09:56 PM
MattM92

I used to go on a road trip with my dad once a season. We went to Sunrise twice (1-1 record), TD Garden in Boston (lost), Nassau Coliseum (lost), MSG (lost), Consol Energy in Pitt (lost bad), RBC Center (now PNC Arena and we lost), and Verizon Center (we actually won ). I decided to stop going to away games with a 2-6 record

-Sunrise was ok, had some passionate, knowledgeable fans but it was no where close to a sellout.

-TD Garden was great. Walked around the city beforehand to sight-see (I'm a history buff so I loved checking out Revolutionary age sites) and then had pizza at this place called Regina's Pizza. Apparently it's one of the pre-game hotspots. Great stuff.

-Nassau Coliseum was ok. My dad's highschool friend hooked us up with great seats, so it wasn't too bad. The arena is a hole though, so old and rundown.

-MSG was surprisingly great. The fans were kinda in your face a bit, but nothing too bad. Plus they had this amazing prime rib sandwich there, delicious! Only complaint was the yellow lighting.

-Consol was nice. We had seats on the upper level and it felt like we were walking into the IMAX at MOSI. You're walking straight down to get to your seats, it's a bit intimidating. Fans around us were nice enough though, probably because the Pens spanked us.

-RBC reminded me a lot of the Forum. Lower level was crowded but the second level was a bit easier to wander the halls and had some good food up there too.

-Verizon Center was a lot of fun. This was the first game Roli played for us when we won 1-0 in OT off a Marty goal. The crowd was electric through the whole game with chants and cheers. Great atmosphere and the fans knew their stuff. Had a few friendly back and forths with the couple in front of us, but it was nice to be able to get the last word.

Last edited by MattM92: 02-04-2013 at 10:17 PM.
MattM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:54 PM
Cigar City

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM92 View Post
-TD Garden was great. Walked around the city beforehand to sight-see (I'm a history buff so I loved checking out Revolutionary age sites) and then had pizza at this place called Regina's Pizza. Apparently it's one of the pre-game hotspots. Great stuff.

Lol. Seriously? Did you wear your TBL gear? I went a couple seasons back when we went to the ECF. It wasn't an ECF game, but it was late in the season and we were battling for second place. They won because Lucic got an assist from the refs skate.

The game was surprisingly pleasant, the fans around me were great. They even put me on the jumbotron with my girlfriend and I got booed by the entire stadium. It was great.

Before and after the game, however, was another story. I was living in Maine at the time so I took the Amtrak down to the Garden (right into the building), and we got there early and left late. The fans in the building before and after the game were a bunch of *******s (big surprise).

But like I said, the people I was sitting next to were awesome. They were even better after I had gotten them on the Jumbotron. But drunk Boston after the game is terrible. I would go again, and bring a backpack so I could throw me and my girlfriend's jerseys in it after the game.

Cigar City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 05:24 AM
tattooedsean
Hockey Maniac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM92 View Post
I used to go on a road trip with my dad once a season. We went to Sunrise twice (1-1 record), TD Garden in Boston (lost), Nassau Coliseum (lost), MSG (lost), Consol Energy in Pitt (lost bad), RBC Center (now PNC Arena and we lost), and Verizon Center (we actually won ). I decided to stop going to away games with a 2-6 record

-Sunrise was ok, had some passionate, knowledgeable fans but it was no where close to a sellout.

-Nassau Coliseum was ok. My dad's highschool friend hooked us up with great seats, so it wasn't too bad. The arena is a hole though, so old and rundown.

-MSG was surprisingly great. The fans were kinda in your face a bit, but nothing too bad. Plus they had this amazing prime rib sandwich there, delicious! Only complaint was the yellow lighting.

-Consol was nice. We had seats on the upper level and it felt like we were walking into the IMAX at MOSI. You're walking straight down to get to your seats, it's a bit intimidating. Fans around us were nice enough though, probably because the Pens spanked us.

-RBC reminded me a lot of the Forum. Lower level was crowded but the second level was a bit easier to wander the halls and had some good food up there too.

-Verizon Center was a lot of fun. This was the first game Roli played for us when we won 1-0 in OT off a Marty goal. The crowd was electric through the whole game with chants and cheers. Great atmosphere and the fans knew their stuff. Had a few friendly back and forths with the couple in front of us, but it was nice to be able to get the last word.

Very cool, this is exactly the type of stories I was looking to hear. You need to get back on the bike and fix that road record of yours.

Old
02-05-2013, 05:47 AM
tattooedsean
Hockey Maniac!

Quote:
Lol. Seriously? Did you wear your TBL gear? I went a couple seasons back when we went to the ECF. It wasn't an ECF game, but it was late in the season and we were battling for second place. They won because Lucic got an assist from the refs skate.

The game was surprisingly pleasant, the fans around me were great. They even put me on the jumbotron with my girlfriend and I got booed by the entire stadium. It was great.

Before and after the game, however, was another story. I was living in Maine at the time so I took the Amtrak down to the Garden (right into the building), and we got there early and left late. The fans in the building before and after the game were a bunch of *******s (big surprise).

But like I said, the people I was sitting next to were awesome. They were even better after I had gotten them on the Jumbotron. But drunk Boston after the game is terrible. I would go again, and bring a backpack so I could throw me and my girlfriend's jerseys in it after the game.

Getting boo'd by their entire arena Dealing with those drunks

Old
02-05-2013, 08:46 AM
MattM92

Quote:

Well we went during the winter at some point so we threw our big winter coats on the high-tailed it out. They were none the wiser

MattM92 is offline   Reply With Quote