HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Setoguchi to Pittsburgh

Old
02-04-2013, 04:32 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J StClair28 View Post
None, sorry. Think #3-4 defensemen, or other wing prospects with second line upside.
OK so liles + brad ross for seto + pick?

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:41 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
macarthur + colborne for seto + pick?
Right on cue ... your two whipping boys for Seto.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:03 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
Right on cue ... your two whipping boys for Seto.
My 2? no that is bozak and komi as for the general fanbase likely steckel and kostka either way are wrong

Old
02-04-2013, 06:26 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
My 2? no that is bozak and komi as for the general fanbase likely steckel and kostka either way are wrong
MacArthur has been brought up so many times on this site in ideas its not funny. He is a recycled name. Then again, he is basically Seto, so why trade him for his twin brother?

Old
02-04-2013, 06:29 AM
MK9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
To get a recent 1st rounder at a position of need. Setoguchi alone isn't worth that kind of return at this point.
Yeah, lets take that down a notch. It's 8 games into the season, and he put up 19 last year playing with mediocre guys after being hit by a car last off season. I'm not going to say his value is great, but it ain't bottom barrel. People are going to way undervalue him, but at least use your head.

MK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:46 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
MacArthur has been brought up so many times on this site in ideas its not funny. He is a recycled name. Then again, he is basically Seto, so why trade him for his twin brother?
Most of us like Mac and would like to see him back but the truth is it looks like he might be going so thats why he's brought up. But Most of us don't want him gone

Old
02-04-2013, 07:08 AM
Kris Chreider
#Bickel4Norris

What about Setoguchi+2nd/B prospect for Volchenkov? And the Devils retain 1 or 2M for a 3rd?

Or if the Pens aren't interested in Setoguchi, maybe Coyle+ for Despres?

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:16 AM
TheRollingPuck
Free fallin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
This Penguins fan would accept that trade so fast that....

... insert outrageous imagery....

It would be totally bizarre to me if Minnesota could not get a better prospect than Maatta, and by better I mean much more proven and close to being NHL ready. How anyone would think that the Wild should add is beyond me.
Yeah, I think some are overrating the Pens prospects. There is a reason Despres has been mentioned. He's proven, at least in comparison to Morrow/Maatta.

TheRollingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:17 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
This Penguins fan would accept that trade so fast that....

... insert outrageous imagery....

It would be totally bizarre to me if Minnesota could not get a better prospect than Maatta, and by better I mean much more proven and close to being NHL ready. How anyone would think that the Wild should add is beyond me.
The fact is that Setoguchi has only scored between 36 and 41 points in each of the last 3 years - and in two of which he was playing with more than capable playmakers. He's off to another slow start and has played his way off the Wild's scoring lines, which is why he's on the trading block. He makes 3 mil per, and Minnesota clearly doesn't have the horses to allow him to perform to his salary.

There's no way in hell that track record and those particulars deserve a 1st round pick on their own. If I'm giving up a 1st for a player making 3 mil per, he'd better be effective in his role without requiring a Crosby or Malkin. I'd rather save the asset and push for a reliable scoring winger at the deadline.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:06 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
Haven't we seen this thread before?
Just a couple days ago.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:30 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Seto is welcomed in Pittsburgh but it really depends on the cost going the other way

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:57 AM
mpp9

Niskanen+Maatta for Seto+Clutterbuck.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:00 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
The fact is that Setoguchi has only scored between 36 and 41 points in each of the last 3 years - and in two of which he was playing with more than capable playmakers. He's off to another slow start and has played his way off the Wild's scoring lines, which is why he's on the trading block. He makes 3 mil per, and Minnesota clearly doesn't have the horses to allow him to perform to his salary.

There's no way in hell that track record and those particulars deserve a 1st round pick on their own. If I'm giving up a 1st for a player making 3 mil per, he'd better be effective in his role without requiring a Crosby or Malkin. I'd rather save the asset and push for a reliable scoring winger at the deadline.
And had he been a Pens player, you would have pointed out, correctly, that in those years proceeding his high scoring season, he remained a 20 goal scorer - on pace for 23-25 goals every year. You'd also mention that he came from a team with some if the best top6 depth in the league, and that his scoring last year came despite Minnesota being wrecked by injuries, particularly to their best centers.

Ultimately a young goal scorer perennially clocking 20 plus goals.... That guy will have value above and beyond that of a newly drafted blueliner unless that blueliner has shown something really special. I've been on the 'get Seto for Sid' for a long time, and that's because I think he is good. You're suggesting that we can get a young sniper for our first line for someone who can maybe be a second pairing D-man within 5 years... and they have to add???? If we are talking Niskanen they might go for something like that. More likely straight up.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:15 AM
Riptide

Quote:
And had he been a Pens player, you would have pointed out, correctly, that in those years proceeding his high scoring season, he remained a 20 goal scorer - on pace for 23-25 goals every year. You'd also mention that he came from a team with some if the best top6 depth in the league, and that his scoring last year came despite Minnesota being wrecked by injuries, particularly to their best centers.

Ultimately a young goal scorer perennially clocking 20 plus goals.... That guy will have value above and beyond that of a newly drafted blueliner unless that blueliner has shown something really special. I've been on the 'get Seto for Sid' for a long time, and that's because I think he is good. You're suggesting that we can get a young sniper for our first line for someone who can maybe be a second pairing D-man within 5 years... and they have to add???? If we are talking Niskanen they might go for something like that. More likely straight up.
I see a comparable to the Schenn for JVR threads that were up almost all of last year. And Flyer fans kept on saying Toronto would have to add, and add big. Where at the end of the day it was a straight up 1-1 trade.

Seto for Niskanen. And it pains me to offer him, as I really really like him and would prefer to keep him around.

"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:26 AM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Niskanen+Maatta for Seto+Clutterbuck.
i love how Niskanen plays, but if Reverend Bort and Despres keep playing like they've been playing lately, i'd do that.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:32 AM
mwalluk

Seto's on fourth line duty. He's not worth Maata.

mwalluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:56 AM
grN1g

problem with setoguchi playing for minnesota is exactly the same as last year when we split up the talent... he has no proven or steady players to play with not name koivu, & parise. Last year when he got here the Heatley Koivu setoguchi lined looked really good, but a few unproductive nights and injuries forced to split up talent and it went down hill from their.

basically, Setoguchi is always going to be a complimentary scorer to a good or elite player maker. Pair him crosby i gurantee he'll hit 55-65 points a season barring injury.

grN1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:13 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

vCash: 50
Quote:
http://www.startribune.com/sports/wi...efer=y&refer=y

Setoguchi and a 2nd to Pittsburgh for Olli Maatta.
That's a hell of an overpayment on the part of the Wild.

Seto has value. Yes he's in a bit of a slump now, but that does not mean that he does not have some good skill and ability.

Seto for Maata and Pitt's 3rd this year.

Even though Maata does have strong potential, Maata is still a developing prospect who is at least 1-2 years out.

Seto is an established NHL player, on a reasonable contract through next year. He has great speed, a good shot, and can play physical.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:18 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalluk View Post
Seto's on fourth line duty. He's not worth Maata.
Then you're way overvaluing Maata.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:30 AM
mwalluk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
Then you're way overvaluing Maata.
Same way you're overvaluing Seto

mwalluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:54 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
What about Setoguchi+2nd/B prospect for Volchenkov? And the Devils retain 1 or 2M for a 3rd?

Or if the Pens aren't interested in Setoguchi, maybe Coyle+ for Despres?
LOL at Coyle + for Despres. I think Coyle is going to be a bust. Not interested in the least.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:55 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
That's a hell of an overpayment on the part of the Wild.

Seto has value. Yes he's in a bit of a slump now, but that does not mean that he does not have some good skill and ability.

Seto for Maata and Pitt's 3rd this year.

Even though Maata does have strong potential, Maata is still a developing prospect who is at least 1-2 years out.

Seto is an established NHL player, on a reasonable contract through next year. He has great speed, a good shot, and can play physical.
Seto isn't worth Maata straight up right now, so why would we have to add?

The guy is a spare part and has been basically moved to the fourth line in Minnesota. Seto has some value, but not a first round prospect and a third rounder.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:57 AM
Hottubber

Quote:
LOL at Coyle + for Despres. I think Coyle is going to be a bust. Not interested in the least.
What makes you think Coyle is going to be a bust? It would also really depend on what the + is. If Coyle was a penguin, he would instantly be the best of 2nd best forward prospect next to BB

Hottubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:58 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
I see a comparable to the Schenn for JVR threads that were up almost all of last year. And Flyer fans kept on saying Toronto would have to add, and add big. Where at the end of the day it was a straight up 1-1 trade.

Seto for Niskanen. And it pains me to offer him, as I really really like him and would prefer to keep him around.
That is way TOO MUCH for Seto. Niskanen is a competent blueliner playing his best hockey prior to injury, while Seto is a non producing forward now and has been moved to the fourth line. Trade a top two D pairing guy in Pittsburgh for a spare part? No chance.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:01 AM
centcougar07

Quote:
That is way TOO MUCH for Seto. Niskanen is a competent blueliner playing his best hockey prior to injury, while Seto is a non producing forward now and has been moved to the fourth line. Trade a top two D pairing guy in Pittsburgh for a spare part? No chance.
He's easily a 30 goal scorer with Crosby. Get real bud.

centcougar07 is offline   Reply With Quote