HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is anything possible with Carey Price in net?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-04-2013, 07:02 AM
  #51
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post
Yes they are. They had 3 lines that could score (just like the Habs), they did have Eric Staal and Rod Brind'Amour, who were better than anyone on the Habs, but overall their offense was better but not much better.

Their defensemen were actually weaker. They had a very average, if not lower than average, defense. And their goalie was hot at the time, which Price is also capable of.

"Not close", I don't think so
Didn't Caroline win the cup by injuring an opposing player in every single playoff round?

Who's going to do this for the Habs?

If we have to win on skill, being equal to 2006 Carolina isn't enough. We have to be better.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:07 AM
  #52
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
And theres the jinx, Price will get injured next game.
I wish people would stop posting about jinxes. There's no such thing as a jinx, and it stopped being funny a long time ago.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:09 AM
  #53
Saundies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NB, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 506
vCash: 500
Carey Price is a specific example about why we shouldn't freak out every single time a player has a bad stretch of games/year. If management would have went along with fan opinion a couple years ago, he'd be tearing it up in another team's colours and who knows where the Habs would be at the point.

I've always loved the guy and I think he's top 5 in the league. He's our highest paid player for a reason; because he is the franchise. More and more years under the lights and microscope in Montreal can only help him in terms of dealing with the intense pressure that goes along with it. And yes, I do believe if we make the playoffs this year, anything is possible with him in net. He's one of the goes goalies that has the potential to carry a team, a la Quick, Ward, Thomas, etc.

Saundies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:11 AM
  #54
Gally11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St. John's
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Didn't Caroline win the cup by injuring an opposing player in every single playoff round?

Who's going to do this for the Habs?

If we have to win on skill, being equal to 2006 Carolina isn't enough. We have to be better.
I don't think you remember how good Cam Ward was to attribute their success to other teams injuries. They were also without Erik Cole until the end. I know the injury to Koivu was detrimental to us but our two wins that round were also against Gerber who was never a consistant starter after that playoff round again. Cam Ward was lights out in that run and pretty sure he was Conn Smyth wasn't he?

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:13 AM
  #55
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Care to list 5 better than him ? And he was clearly in the top 5 two years ago. He got snubbed from a Vezina and he deserved ATLEAST a nomination and I'm still bitter for it.
Price was 19th in save percentage last year.

Lundqvist, Rinne, Quick, Thomas, Luongo, Miller, possibly all considered better than him, but I'm not sure.

He also wasn't on Team Canada in Sochi, Luongo, Brodeur, and Fleury were chosen ahead of him.

Price has certainly done well so far and certainly has potential, but before being considered elite he needs a couple of really dominant seasons under his belt, and they have to be consecutive.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:16 AM
  #56
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereabouts Unknown View Post
I don't think you remember how good Cam Ward was to attribute their success to other teams injuries. They were also without Erik Cole until the end. I know the injury to Koivu was detrimental to us but our two wins that round were also against Gerber who was never a consistant starter after that playoff round again. Cam Ward was lights out in that run and pretty sure he was Conn Smyth wasn't he?
Ward was a great player.

So was Koivu, so was the Edmonton goalie, and I forget who else they injured. They're the last impressive cup winner of the cap era imo... notice that they have consistently sucked since.

Anyway, with respect to the thread question, yes, I think Price can help us win a cup, but 2006 Carolina is not a good analogy imo, because Habs as currently constituted can't play that dirty game. A better analogy might be 1993 Montreal. 1993 Montreal is often considered to be the Patrick Roy show, but my understanding (I was 9 at the time) is that there was actually a very good team playing in front of Roy.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:19 AM
  #57
Gally11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St. John's
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Ward was a great player.

So was Koivu, so was the Edmonton goalie, and I forget who else they injured. They're the last impressive cup winner of the cap era imo... notice that they have consistently sucked since.
yeah I completely forgot about Roloson going down and Conklin coming in giving up that terrible goal, never played in Edmonton again after that

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:07 AM
  #58
Lshap
Moderator
 
Lshap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Ward was a great player.

So was Koivu, so was the Edmonton goalie, and I forget who else they injured. They're the last impressive cup winner of the cap era imo... notice that they have consistently sucked since.

Anyway, with respect to the thread question, yes, I think Price can help us win a cup, but 2006 Carolina is not a good analogy imo, because Habs as currently constituted can't play that dirty game. A better analogy might be 1993 Montreal. 1993 Montreal is often considered to be the Patrick Roy show, but my understanding (I was 9 at the time) is that there was actually a very good team playing in front of Roy.
I remember '93 very well. We had no offensive stars, but we had a ton of solid scoring depth and a very tough group of guys - Muller, Keane, Damphouse, LeClair, Carbo, etc. But Roy was fantastic. There was nobody who combined focus, intensity and pure athletic skill like he did, and I say this having watched Ken Dryden through the 70s.

But '93 was more than an 'overachieving' team lucking its way to a bunch of overtime wins and a Cup. Our playoff record was 16-4, which is a rare level of dominance. We could've lost a couple of overtimes and still won the Cup.

Could this year's club make that kind of run? Price can. He's raised his play to a new high and is stealing goals he would've let in before. He's definitely the kind of goalie that can take a good team over the top to a Cup. But the rest of our roster of rookies and developing players is wayyy too fresh out of the oven to predict anything. This season is turning into a huge crapshoot. Washington and Philly as bottom-feeders? Tampa as a powerhouse? It's like the entire NHL shuffled the deck and started fresh, which was exactly what the Habs needed. All predictions are off... let's see how this Bizarro-World season plays out.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:20 AM
  #59
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saundies View Post
Carey Price is a specific example about why we shouldn't freak out every single time a player has a bad stretch of games/year. If management would have went along with fan opinion a couple years ago, he'd be tearing it up in another team's colours and who knows where the Habs would be at the point.

I've always loved the guy and I think he's top 5 in the league. He's our highest paid player for a reason; because he is the franchise. More and more years under the lights and microscope in Montreal can only help him in terms of dealing with the intense pressure that goes along with it. And yes, I do believe if we make the playoffs this year, anything is possible with him in net. He's one of the goes goalies that has the potential to carry a team, a la Quick, Ward, Thomas, etc.
I've always believed that he could take a team to a cup and I've felt that he's been a top five goalie in this league for a while now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Price was 19th in save percentage last year.

Lundqvist, Rinne, Quick, Thomas, Luongo, Miller, possibly all considered better than him, but I'm not sure.

He also wasn't on Team Canada in Sochi, Luongo, Brodeur, and Fleury were chosen ahead of him.

Price has certainly done well so far and certainly has potential, but before being considered elite he needs a couple of really dominant seasons under his belt, and they have to be consecutive.
He didn't have a great year but considering the team he was on it was more than respectable. He also logs way more icetime than almost any other goalie in the league. In my opinion Price is a top five goalie. Lundqvsit, Renne, Quick... Price isn't far off these guys at all and he's the youngest of the lot. One of these years (and it may be this season) he's going to establish himself as the best in the league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
I remember '93 very well. We had no offensive stars, but we had a ton of solid scoring depth and a very tough group of guys - Muller, Keane, Damphouse, LeClair, Carbo, etc. But Roy was fantastic. There was nobody who combined focus, intensity and pure athletic skill like he did, and I say this having watched Ken Dryden through the 70s.

But '93 was more than an 'overachieving' team lucking its way to a bunch of overtime wins and a Cup. Our playoff record was 16-4, which is a rare level of dominance. We could've lost a couple of overtimes and still won the Cup.

Could this year's club make that kind of run? Price can. He's raised his play to a new high and is stealing goals he would've let in before. He's definitely the kind of goalie that can take a good team over the top to a Cup. But the rest of our roster of rookies and developing players is wayyy too fresh out of the oven to predict anything. This season is turning into a huge crapshoot. Washington and Philly as bottom-feeders? Tampa as a powerhouse? It's like the entire NHL shuffled the deck and started fresh, which was exactly what the Habs needed. All predictions are off... let's see how this Bizarro-World season plays out.
Price can absolutely be that kind of guy.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:27 AM
  #60
Theosis
#freegalchenyuk
 
Theosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: DDO, Montreal
Country: Greece
Posts: 10,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

He also wasn't on Team Canada in Sochi, Luongo, Brodeur, and Fleury were chosen ahead of him.
.

Theosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:46 AM
  #61
Montreal Shadow
Registered User
 
Montreal Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post
Yes they are. They had 3 lines that could score (just like the Habs), they did have Eric Staal and Rod Brind'Amour, who were better than anyone on the Habs, but overall their offense was better but not much better.

Their defensemen were actually weaker. They had a very average, if not lower than average, defense. And their goalie was hot at the time, which Price is also capable of.

"Not close", I don't think so
Staal and Brind'Amour were much much better than anything we had though. We haven't got a forward even close to the levels these two were playing at. Replace Plekanec with a high level Brind'Amour and Pacioretty with what now seems to have been a prime Staal and the team is much better all of a sudden. You're talking about these two as if they made no difference.

Our defense is weak after Markov, Gorges and Subban. Hedican and Walin were pretty damn good defensive dmen and Kaberle was very good offensively. I think you forgot how goood that team was because many of their players have sharply declined from how they were back then or are retired. They were 4th in their league and 2nd in their conference in pts. It was a pretty damn good team. Not a Stanley Cup winner at first glance but they were much stronger than what we have on ice now.

Montreal Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:56 AM
  #62
Bobby G
Registered User
 
Bobby G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,708
vCash: 500


??

Bobby G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:05 AM
  #63
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
and if Markov keeps it up, he'll be a serious candidate for the Norris.
Of course, but I find it much more likely we see Price continue at a good clip than markov.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
and it's not like Markov is the kind to showboat or anything...
Not what I meant. I meant he doesn't play flashy like Tim Thomas. Always cool and collected so people forget how good he is. He makes it look very easy.

I bet whole team, including markov benefits from Price back there because they feel more at ease to take risks when he's that solid behind them.

At end of the day, it's not to discredit Markov. I just personally feel Price is more important to our success.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:08 AM
  #64
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Fact is, Markov think otherwise...
I agree that Markov has been a close second. But Price is clearly the best and will remain until a long time. He's been saving our ass for 3 games now and the only loss he had cannot be on himself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Price was 19th in save percentage last year.

Lundqvist, Rinne, Quick, Thomas, Luongo, Miller, possibly all considered better than him, but I'm not sure.

He also wasn't on Team Canada in Sochi, Luongo, Brodeur, and Fleury were chosen ahead of him.

Price has certainly done well so far and certainly has potential, but before being considered elite he needs a couple of really dominant seasons under his belt, and they have to be consecutive.
So you compare the season of the rangers, the King's, the Canucks to Montreal last year ?

In 2010 at Vancouver and not Sochii, Price was 21 he was just coming off a season where he did not play... How do you bring that up

Any sane mind would take Price before both Luongo and Miller. It was trough three years ago, now it isnt and it's not even close.

So yeah, there's maybe three debatable in Quick(Wich I think is overated.), Lundqvist and Rinne. That makes it four and are they clearly ahead of Price ? Sure bring up the stats but hey it's not like we finished 15th in the east with no system at all.

Oh and Thomas was horrible last year.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:11 AM
  #65
Sorinth
Registered User
 
Sorinth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
That's a pretty narrow view of the situation. It's true in some basic "boundary-condition" sense, but devoid of any sort of strategy, beyond goosing the throttle on every UFA and trade deadline because "this might be our year."

Having more talent on your team, especially elite talent, probably improves the odds that you'll win the cup in the next few years more than simply squeaking in. If your team is already among the best teams in the league, then what you said is certainly true; however, we are not one of the best teams in the league. It stands to reason that we ought to be improving the chances we do have in any given playoffs, rather than concentrating on making every playoffs.

Drafting isn't the only way to get elite talent into your organization: it just happens to be the best way. Elite talent in your organization is also not a sufficient condition for winning the cup; however, it is necessary.
When did I say we should be devoid of strategy or always trade for rentals at the deadline? You need to properly evaluate your team, and if you are a not a playoff team without making any deadline moves then you should sell assets you won't be keeping. Being a 7th-8th place team doesn't stop you from continuing to build your team though.

We have pretty consistently made the playoffs since Gainey took over, we rebuilt through the draft (Started with A. Savard), we never tanked and yet still managed to become a contender one year, arguably could've stayed a contender for several seasons if Gainey didn't blow it up, and had a deep run in another year.

And I disagree that sitting at the bottom for years on end is the best way to aquire elite talent.

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:45 AM
  #66
JAVO16
Registered User
 
JAVO16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,717
vCash: 500
I guess we'll know if anything happens.

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:45 PM
  #67
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 10,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Carey Price? I heard the guy is pretty good.

rask?
crawford?
niemi?
anderson?

he's beating some hall-of-famers right there!

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:53 PM
  #68
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
rask?
crawford?
niemi?
anderson?

he's beating some hall-of-famers right there!
If he's first in the league... It means he has more wins than Quick, Hank, Luongo, Rinne and all those ''elite'' goalies too... When you want to make a statement please use some logic

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:02 PM
  #69
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!
 
Mathradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,524
vCash: 500
Carey Price is the kind of goalie that can play 70+ games a season, perhaps 80+ games in a playoff year (assuming a 82-game-long regular season) with some consistency...

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:09 PM
  #70
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,634
vCash: 500
I think if the Habs contend for a cup in the foreseeable future its with no major holes in the lineup, Subban and Markov on defense meaning that the team gives up few shots/chances and Price shutting the door from there.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:22 PM
  #71
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 10,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
If he's first in the league... It means he has more wins than Quick, Hank, Luongo, Rinne and all those ''elite'' goalies too... When you want to make a statement please use some logic
my 'statement' as you would put it, is that it's way too early in the season to be bragging about price leading all goalies in wins - it's too early in the season to be bragging about anything. which is what i did when i pointed out that none of the established elite are in that list and you can bet your house that they will be by the end of the season... but if it makes you feel better that price is beating all them 1337 goalies 8 games in, feel free.

is that clearer now?

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:58 AM
  #72
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
my 'statement' as you would put it, is that it's way too early in the season to be bragging about price leading all goalies in wins - it's too early in the season to be bragging about anything. which is what i did when i pointed out that none of the established elite are in that list and you can bet your house that they will be by the end of the season... but if it makes you feel better that price is beating all them 1337 goalies 8 games in, feel free.

is that clearer now?
Who is really bragging ?

So let me guess, you don't think Price has proven enough to be considered 1337 ?
This will be the never ending tale in Montreal... Until he retires with a loooong pedigree that will all prove you wrong and you will all still bring up sad sad excuses like most of you did with Koivu.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:22 AM
  #73
No Team Needed
Registered User
 
No Team Needed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: essex
Posts: 3,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Carey Price is the kind of goalie that can play 70+ games a season, perhaps 80+ games in a playoff year (assuming a 82-game-long regular season) with some consistency...
It's a lot like Calgary with Kiprusoff. Calgary always had a chance to win with him in net and never had to worry about platooning or health issues. And then GM after GM wasted his years away and now he's close to retirement with nothing to show for it. Montreal has 10 years to not waste Price.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 05:38 AM
  #74
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 10,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Who is really bragging ?

So let me guess, you don't think Price has proven enough to be considered 1337 ?
This will be the never ending tale in Montreal... Until he retires with a loooong pedigree that will all prove you wrong and you will all still bring up sad sad excuses like most of you did with Koivu.
you're misunderstanding me.

in my opinion price is a top 5 goalie in the league and far and away our best best player. i foresee a vezina or three in his career.

it's like the other guy saying the oilers should have taken landeskog instead of RNH because he only has 5 points in 9 games. price leading in wins right now is just as an aberration as the 3 other clowns in that list with him.

it's early.

the guys you mentioned, Quick, Hank, Luongo and Rinne, for a variety of reasons, chances are they'll end up with better stats than price and even if they did, i wouldn't care one bit...

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 06:33 AM
  #75
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
I agree that Markov has been a close second. But Price is clearly the best and will remain until a long time. He's been saving our ass for 3 games now and the only loss he had cannot be on himself.


So you compare the season of the rangers, the King's, the Canucks to Montreal last year ?

In 2010 at Vancouver and not Sochii, Price was 21 he was just coming off a season where he did not play... How do you bring that up

Any sane mind would take Price before both Luongo and Miller. It was trough three years ago, now it isnt and it's not even close.

So yeah, there's maybe three debatable in Quick(Wich I think is overated.), Lundqvist and Rinne. That makes it four and are they clearly ahead of Price ? Sure bring up the stats but hey it's not like we finished 15th in the east with no system at all.

Oh and Thomas was horrible last year.
*deep sigh*

I'm not saying that Price isn't one of the five goalies I'd most want to have, or that he lacks potential. We in the Montreal fanbase know what he has.

I'm talking about how he's regarded. For example Vancouver 2010 (yes I know it was in Vancouver and not in Sochi, it was a Freudian slip you twit) was a selection; it's a reflection of how he was regarded at the time. If he's selected for Team Canahda next year, then that will be a reflection of how he's regarded at that time. Alternatively, you can look up how many Vezinas he's been nominated for and won to see how he's regarded.

Like I said before:

before being considered elite he needs a couple of really dominant seasons under his belt, and they have to be consecutive. Once he wins the Vezina, or gets nominated a couple times in a row, he'll be in everyone's top-3 or top-5 at worst.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.