Valley of the Shadow of General Stars Talk V

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2013, 05:52 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Some updates from Heika:

Quote:
“We haven’t decided on the lines, but Eakin, Benn and Roy will all play center,” Gulutzan said.
Are you serious? The people taking the penalties .... the players .... helped the coach decided that he'd back off his statement from last night that they'd pay for the penalties in practice. This is hilarious. I get the logic in not doing the bag skate, but that's just an excuse .....

Quote:
The Stars had meetings and talks about reducing the amount of penalties they have taken, but they did not have a bag skate on Sunday. Gulutzan said that he and the leadership group have decided that the team will have to pay a price for taking penalties, but that the team needed to keep fresh legs for Monday’s game against the Avalanche.

“We’re going to skate for those penalties that we took. The guys know that,” Gulutzan said. “But, you wait for the right time. It’s not a skate that is going to kill them, but it’s one that is going to remind them.”
This was a very nice move by the team:

Quote:
With Roy coming off IR, the Stars will have to send a player back. Because they are carrying eight defenseman, Jordie Benn is a leading candidate to go back to the AHL. Also on two-way contracts are forwards Antoine Roussel and Tomas Vincour.

The Stars were having a Super Bowl party on Sunday, so a decision won’t be made until Monday.
I hope he's right and the Stars have decided to make a move on defense early. They said when Oleksiak was called up, they'd keep 8 for the trip.

Old
02-03-2013, 05:55 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
The leadership group could just refer to the other coaching staff. Who knows. Either way it's a smart call not to bag skate after just flying into Denver, in between 3 games in 4 nights. They do need to be punished later though, and have some accountability for bad nights.

I hope he's right about Benn going down. Eakin better play on the 3rd line too. Sounds like we could see a big shuffle in the lines tomorrow.

Old
02-03-2013, 05:58 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 5355
http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2013...ed-again.html/

Heika with a practice update...

Quote:
Stars coach Glen Gulutzan said the team has not decided on lines, and they did not run lines during practtice. They did mostly drills. However, he said he has not thought about moving Jamie Benn to the wing and keeping Cody Eakin in the top six forward group after Eakin performed well at center.

“We haven’t decided on the lines, but Eakin, Benn and Roy will all play center,” Gulutzan said. “I like having Derek back. I like his speed, his ability to possess the puck, his ability to kill penalties, and his ability to take faceoffs. Just the ability to have a centerman who is over 50 percent on faceoffs, that’s a great place to start.”
Quote:
The Stars had meetings and talks about reducing the amount of penalties they have taken, but they did not have a bag skate on Sunday. Gulutzan said that he and the leadership group have decided that the team will have to pay a price for taking penalties, but that the team needed to keep fresh legs for Monday’s game against the Avalanche.

“We’re going to skate for those penalties that we took. The guys know that,” Gulutzan said. “But, you wait for the right time. It’s not a skate that is going to kill them, but it’s one that is going to remind them.”

The Stars took seven penalties against Phoenix and now have put the other team on the power play 45 times _ most in the NHL.Gulutzan said he and the coaches have studied all of the video and believe the problem can be fixed.

“We have looked at the film, and we have counted all of the chances, and we are a good team at even strength. But we cannot have a difference in power plays of 11:40 to 40 seconds,” Gulutzan said. “That just changes so many things. On one side, our PK was actually really good, but they can’t just go out there time and time and time again. At some point, you’re going to break down. On the other side, you just can’t anything going on the power play in 40 seconds, you can’t. Then, when you start realizing that you can’t even get your offense going, because you can’t get those players on the ice, it’s really frustrating.

Gulutzan said the team had problems last season with retaliatory penalties and too much jawing with the officials, but that hasn’t been a problem this season.

“It is a lot different than it was last year. These aren’t retaliatory, these aren’t because we’re yelling at the referees from the bench,” he said. “We changed that. We are not arguing, we’re just getting called for a lot of penalties.”

Gulutzan said he believes the problem will get fixed.

“I really think that once we stop harping on it and just get to playing, we’ll get away from it,” he said. “Because we’re not a dirty penalty-taking team. Once they purge, I do think it will be better. I think we have discipline in our group, and we’re a hard-working team.”

Old
02-03-2013, 06:24 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
The leadership group could just refer to the other coaching staff. Who knows. Either way it's a smart call not to bag skate after just flying into Denver, in between 3 games in 4 nights. They do need to be punished later though, and have some accountability for bad nights.

I hope he's right about Benn going down. Eakin better play on the 3rd line too. Sounds like we could see a big shuffle in the lines tomorrow.
Bag skate, get tired, take lazy penalties. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I don't know what the answer is for this team but it appears those being paid to have answers don't either.

Old
02-03-2013, 06:27 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Lines should be:

Benn-Roy-Jagr
Eriksson-Eakin-Ryder
Nystrom-Fiddler-Vincour
Garbutt-Roussel-Smith

Dillon-Robidas
Oleksiak-Daley
Goligoski-Larsen/Rome

Oh did i forget morrow my bad not

Old
02-03-2013, 06:28 PM
Troy McClure

vCash: 500
Morrow was king when the Stars had Modano and Turco running the team like a country club. Not surprising that he'd push to delay a bag skate for when it fits his schedule.

Old
02-03-2013, 07:08 PM
cmwang

I'm so sick of this supposed leadership group. Morrow and Robidas need to get out.

I thought Joe did a good job with the free agent acquisitions and I liked the Ott/Ribeiro trades. But if you consider our "leadership core" to have been ott, ribs, morrow, and robidas, he traded the two useful ones from that group. They obviously also had more value, but he needs to redeem himself now and finish clearing house.

Oh and he can fire gully too.

Old
02-03-2013, 07:22 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
Well, I mean, they probably physically can't get skated hard and have any semblance of energy for the game. That's just what the deal is when your quote unquote leaders are old guys on their last legs.

And like has been pointed out, punishing them isn't going to have any effect anyway. You can't make them better at hockey sending them from end line to end line.

Old
02-03-2013, 07:36 PM
Troy McClure

You are 100% correct. A bag skate would probably doom them on Monday, but a coach shouldn't threaten one and then back away. It just makes him look weak.

Old
02-03-2013, 07:48 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
You are 100% correct. A bag skate would probably doom them on Monday, but a coach shouldn't threaten one and then back away. It just makes him look weak.
One of those situations where perception is reality.

Old
02-03-2013, 07:49 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Troy at this point can he look worse? He says contrary things. Doesn't hold anyone but the kids accountable, has a horrifically bad system and his players appear to win despite him on occasion.

It's not a question of what makes him look good but what doesn't make him look bad.

Old
02-03-2013, 07:52 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 5355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Troy at this point can he look worse? He says contrary things. Doesn't hold anyone but the kids accountable, has a horrifically bad system and his players appear to win despite him on occasion.

It's not a question of what makes him look good but what doesn't make him look bad.
That's why I started the Fire Glen Gulutzan Facebook page

Old
02-03-2013, 07:57 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
That was my point. I agree with his reasoning tonight that the bag skate could hurt the team, but then don't say it's going to happen the night before.

I agree he shouldn't have said what he said last night.

Old
02-03-2013, 08:09 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
One of those situations where perception is reality.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:43 AM
English stars fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Something you need to consider when making trade proposals:

Dallas can only trade $5,858,519 in cap hits and stay above the floor.

How I came to this number:

*CapGeek currently projects Dallas with a Projected Cap Payroll of $58,439,587
*This number includes injury call ups.
*I had to make several assumptions to correct that number.

1) Nilstorp is reportedly close to healthy, Projected return to the AHL on 2/4.
2) Roy could return Monday, projected return of Roussel to AHL on 2/4.
3) Dallas will return to only 7 D after road trip, projected Oleksiak return to the AHL on 2/7.
4) Whitney is out 4 to 6 weeks, projected Reilly Smith return to AHL on 3/4.

I went with the most conservative projections as possible. Nilstorp will probably not return to the AHL by Monday, Whitney might take longer than 4 weeks, and Oleksiak could stay in the NHL. I based all my decisions on reducing the salary payroll as much as possible to give a worst case, realistic scenario of the cap situation.

With those 4 players no longer projected to remain the entire season, Dallas' season cap payroll is $55,679,276 which is $1,479,276 above the floor. The trade deadline falls on April 3rd, if we assume Dallas doesn't make a trade until that point, the pro-rated salary you can trade is $5,858,519.

The next you have to consider is any play traded has to be replaced on the roster. For example, $3.5 million Ryder being traded likely results in $900,000 Reilly Smith returning to the NHL. That represents only $2.6 million of pro-rated salary leaving the team.

If Dallas goes into a full sale mode, they'll need to get creative about adding salary.
This might just be me being stupid, but I'm pretty sure that the cap floor is $44m, not $54m, which means we don't have to get creative about ditching salary at all.

Old
02-04-2013, 06:19 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by English stars fan View Post
This might just be me being stupid, but I'm pretty sure that the cap floor is $44m, not $54m, which means we don't have to get creative about ditching salary at all.
That's not stupid at all. You're just thinking about 2013-14. That was one of the final things the PA and NHL were fighting over.

I'm pretty sure the floor remains $16 million below the cap this year. I'm a bit less confident about that right now because I couldn't quickly find a link, but I do know the $44 million floor is next year.

Old
02-04-2013, 06:29 AM
BigG44

.... and it wasn't stupid because you are right. That's a detail I didn't remember.

Heika mentioned in last week's chat that Dallas would have a hard time staying above the floor, and I ran with it.

James Mirtle:

Quote:
The salary floor will be set at $44-million the next two years and then will shift with the midpoint as per usual.
Article 6 of the MOI also confirmed that this year's floor is $44.

Last edited by BigG44: 02-04-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old
02-04-2013, 06:50 AM
English stars fan

Quote:
.... and it wasn't stupid because you are right. That's a detail I didn't remember.

Heika mentioned in last week's chat that Dallas would have a hard time staying above the floor, and I ran with it.

James Mirtle:

Article 6 of the MOI also confirmed that this year's floor is $44.
Yeh i wasn't sure because I knew the 13/14 floor was the bigger problem in the CBA negotiations. It's a bizarre situation that there's effectively no cap this year but nice that the floor is $44m. Should give deadline flexibility. Honestly i'm all for selling off all the vets (except for Roy, he looked great before he got injured) and calling up the kids. Assuming Gulutzan is gone over the summer at the latest.

Old
02-04-2013, 06:59 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by English stars fan View Post
Yeh i wasn't sure because I knew the 13/14 floor was the bigger problem in the CBA negotiations. It's a bizarre situation that there's effectively no cap this year but nice that the floor is $44m. Should give deadline flexibility. Honestly i'm all for selling off all the vets (except for Roy, he looked great before he got injured) and calling up the kids. Assuming Gulutzan is gone over the summer at the latest.
Yeah that is crazy. The MOI list this years cap at $60 million. Then they raise it to $70.2 in the very next line. I guess since both sides agreed quickly on that issue it wasn't discussed as much. I looked at 3 CBA articles after the ratification that didn't even mention it.

I honestly should have looked into it further because as I was running the numbers I noticed that the Stars would have been below the floor before Benn signed. I should have known that wouldn't have been allowed, but I didn't go double check.

Old
02-04-2013, 07:03 AM
BigG44

Just for fun .... that would allow Dallas to trade $46.8 million in pro-rated contracts.

It's like the hockey gods knew this teams was so bad they should just replace all of them. You could trade the entire 23 man roster and replace them with league minimum players ...

Old
02-04-2013, 07:21 AM
English stars fan

Quote:
Just for fun .... that would allow Dallas to trade $46.8 million in pro-rated contracts.

It's like the hockey gods knew this teams was so bad they should just replace all of them. You could trade the entire 23 man roster and replace them with league minimum players ...
If only GMJN were reading

Old
02-04-2013, 10:27 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

That's nice that there are effectively no limitations on shedding salary this season. It's really the perfect time to be a seller.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:16 AM
BigG44

I did not realize that Colorado was undefeated at home.

Quote:
Dallas Stars ‏@DallasStars

The Avalanche are undefeated at home, but Kari is manning the pipes & Roy is expected to return. Predictions? PREVIEW http://*******/YxrV8x
The anticipation of the morning skates and lines is killing me.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:26 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

Avalanche figure to be strong in goal with Roy returning.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:40 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Based on what the Buffalo fanbase is saying about Myers, Larsen + anything sounds like overpayment on our part. I want absolutely no part of a reclamation project that costs our best young puck mover, a forward with tons of potential, and another prospect.

No ****ing way.
People ***** about players on their own boards because every likes to *****. Myers is absolutely a top 4 defensemen now and he's got potential to be a number one defensemen. Larsen doesn't have that. I don't exactly believe in Chiasson and I'm not sure he'll be anything more than a top 9 forward. Larsen + Chiasson and a guy like Jace Coyle or Hubert Labrie isn't close to too much for a young defensemen with extremely high upside. One who played with and is friends with Benn.

Closed Thread