HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

Hockey Arena XIX - Vagrant is the King!

Old
02-01-2013, 12:28 PM
tujague

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smetana View Post
Don't be so sure. Yesterday's triple overtime, and my penchant for overworking my top players, have me in some serious energy trouble. If we do manage to win today, it'll be while running on fumes...
Crap. I had to fire a couple of players to buy anyone. I managed to snag one decent winger for 75M, but really had my eye on another guy for a real improvement. Of course I had to fire a third guy to make room. WTF? You can only fire two players per day now? Son of a *****

At least I don't have to use a damn Dman on the wing. And I'll have the new guy through next season. He's not great(60 passing is too much?), but he'll make a good number 1 sub.

tujague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:27 PM
NHL33*

Beat II.1 2nd seed but not the 1st (lost 4-2 in regulation today). This blows.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:32 AM
tujague

Well that blows, too. The one line I expected to perform goes-3 and completely ****s my entire season. God damn injuries. God damn stupid firing rules. god damn smetana.

Bright side? No need to change the thread title. Complete ****ing failure once again.

tujague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:32 AM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

vCash: 50
Come back to III.1. The water's warm.

GirouxGiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:01 AM
Montrealer

So I made it.

Canada I.1 next season.

I don't like the blowing up the team and rebuilding with youth cycle - I'm trying to play this game like I think I would in real life by inserting rookies into the lineup constantly so the team always has a long-term cycle of new blood. Somehow I've still promoted all the way up but looking at I.1 I won't be there long.

Still nice to make it to the big show.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:52 AM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
I don't like the blowing up the team and rebuilding with youth cycle - I'm trying to play this game like I think I would in real life by inserting rookies into the lineup constantly so the team always has a long-term cycle of new blood. Somehow I've still promoted all the way up but looking at I.1 I won't be there long.
I'm going to try something similar when I get to I.1, constantly changing over players rather than blowing it up. Not so much because I dislike rebuilding, but because I'd like to try to stay on top... forever.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:41 AM
smetana

Nice thread title

Now, the biggest series in my 5+ years playing this game. Got to dethrone the Doktor. I think it'll come down to goaltending, really. Stamper is tough. Colpa has to be tougher. Damn it, I'm actually nervous

smetana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:47 AM
Temm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
So I made it.
Canada I.1 next season.
Congrats on making it to the top league. Certainly, you will most likely need to change your strategy to remain there for long, but there is also a lot of fun and integrity to continuing to play how you see fit to run your team (as that is really fun as well!) If it wasn't, then I wouldn't be down in fifth rung.

Good luck next season!

Temm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:09 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Thought I could stay in II another season, but my bid failed. It came down to the last game in the Playout, and I lost horribly. Oh well, to III back I go.

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:36 AM
Forsbergwannabe

My rebuild is officially over as I promoted back into Div I! Next season the goal is just to make the playoffs, but after that I go hunting for my third championship and down the road it is WL or bust for me . Obviously that is a daunting task, but with 2,1 billion in the bank already, as well as two loaded lines all with tons of potential left, it is not completely unrealistic.

Forsbergwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:26 PM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsbergwannabe View Post
My rebuild is officially over as I promoted back into Div I! Next season the goal is just to make the playoffs, but after that I go hunting for my third championship and down the road it is WL or bust for me . Obviously that is a daunting task, but with 2,1 billion in the bank already, as well as two loaded lines all with tons of potential left, it is not completely unrealistic.
Roster looks pretty nice. What's the average Q on those top two lines?

I feel good about my roster, except Q is only high 80s to low 90s. My P is good though.

Old
02-05-2013, 02:30 PM
Forsbergwannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirouxGiroux View Post
Roster looks pretty nice. What's the average Q on those top two lines?

I feel good about my roster, except Q is only high 80s to low 90s. My P is good though.
Thx including the 85 Q goalie the average is 90,8 Q, but my focus have always been potential and +3 loyalty. I still believe the difference between 91 Q and 96 Q is overrated and potential is far more important regarding end game ai.

Forsbergwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:41 PM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsbergwannabe View Post
Thx including the 85 Q goalie the average is 90,8 Q, but my focus have always been potential and +3 loyalty. I still believe the difference between 91 Q and 96 Q is overrated and potential is far more important regarding end game ai.
That's encouraging. I'm probably in a similar spot as you then, except five or six seasons younger and with fewer +3s. In my two young lines, I have two +3s, three +2s and one ?+ 17-year-old. I'm not planning to do a full rebuild in the future though, I'm gonna try the constant changeover method, so I don't need a ton of +3s.

I have an 86/max goalie that I'll probably use the franchise tag on.

Old
02-05-2013, 04:14 PM
smetana

Hornets with a 5-2 win to take it to a decisive Game 3. The power play was the difference, as we were 3-9, and the Dogs scored on their only man advantage of the game.

It's interesting to note that HerrDoktor is using shot aiming on me in this series. Don't see that too often.

Old
02-07-2013, 04:14 PM
smetana

Old
02-08-2013, 05:15 PM
poppap527

Love it when little gems fall into my lap. Just got a free player 18 yo 96AI defenseman with 88Q 76?p ?+. Very minimal misappropriated AI at 33Def 46Str.

He was showing 81?Q 76?P and was surprised he didn't get a bid.

poppap527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 04:56 PM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

Welp.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:10 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Ah, I am back in III, but this time it's III.4. Should be an interesting season.

The 100Q YS player ended up being Max-5, another one I was hoping for is 81Q, which means my only hope is a just turned 17 y/o that went from 90+Q to only 70+Q. He's showing 59 AI though, so there is hope. The P needs to be way better than it's showing though.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:51 AM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

Note to self: Don't get on HA when you've had a few beers.

Old
02-10-2013, 05:21 PM
poppap527

Quote:
Note to self: Don't get on HA when you've had a few beers.
Haha, made the same mistake a few nights ago. Just start throwing money all over the place. 30Mil? Why not hes showing 91?Q. I mean he could be 95!!, nope 81Q...

poppap527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 07:16 PM
RW8

I've been considering just letting this team age and see where they get me, then calling it quits. Today I just pulled a 98/94 17 year old who's making me reconsider lol.

So I need some advice, my team is league II with players entering their prime. Should I put this guy in the lineup and try to slowly keep building and replacing while staying In a higher league?

He's definitely my best pull. I could also go full rebuild mode with 1.7 bil saved up right now

RW8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:01 PM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppap527 View Post
Haha, made the same mistake a few nights ago. Just start throwing money all over the place. 30Mil? Why not hes showing 91?Q. I mean he could be 95!!, nope 81Q...
Yeah, I put a regrettably high autobid in for a 91/max/?- 17 year old. Fortunately I was outbid. He went for 690 million. If he was a ?+ then maybe I could understand taking the risk, but 690 for a negative loyalty player seems a bit much.

You can get like three 86/max players for that.

Old
02-10-2013, 09:58 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW8 View Post
I've been considering just letting this team age and see where they get me, then calling it quits. Today I just pulled a 98/94 17 year old who's making me reconsider lol.

So I need some advice, my team is league II with players entering their prime. Should I put this guy in the lineup and try to slowly keep building and replacing while staying In a higher league?

He's definitely my best pull. I could also go full rebuild mode with 1.7 bil saved up right now
If it was me, I'd get rid of my weakest player and put that kid into the lineup. Weakest could be defined in many ways depending on different opinions on player development. Either the one player that won't be as good as the rest, horrible loyalty that will make it harder to retain, or what have you.

Also I much prefer the idea of a rotating squad of youth, players in their prime, and aging veterans rather than pure rebuilds with all youth/all prime players/all veterans.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:21 PM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Forumwalker View Post
Also I much prefer the idea of a rotating squad of youth, players in their prime, and aging veterans rather than pure rebuilds with all youth/all prime players/all veterans.
Yeah, this is what I'm going to be going for. These are the ages of the players in my lineup:

27 +3
25 +3
25 +3
24 +3
22 +3
20 +3
19 +3

I'll be getting rid of the 27 year old this season or next. I'll let the 25-year-old who isn't +3 go as a UFA. They'll be replaced by 17-18 year olds. I might wait a bit after that before changing anything else, but eventually the process will continue: sell old, buy young. I think I can make it to USA I.1 with this group and stay there if I'm smart about it.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:49 AM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
Yeah, this is what I'm going to be going for. These are the ages of the players in my lineup:
Unfortunately I'm not sure my team is currently set up that way. Or at least I screwed it up a little bit by selling one defenseman a season too early. That and I felt I had to sell a few veterans earlier than I intended to get the cash for youth, as my YS isn't giving me starters like it did the last time.