HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

YOUR limit with Darcy?

Old
01-28-2013, 09:35 AM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I thought he should've been removed several times since his tenure began. I'm not impressed with him overall and his marriage to his coach is another piece of ballast as far as I'm concerned.
I thought he had a very poor summer post-draft. While everyone was busy high-fiving each other about Roy's departure, Regier failed to adequately replace him. In addition, he failed to even attempt addressing the glaring need for a pivot who can win faceoffs and play heavy defensive minutes that was created with the Gaustad and Roy departures. Why not go hard after a guy like Halpern who can win you a faceoff? Why talk about getting tougher and get beat for guys like Konopka or Burish?

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:26 PM
Moskau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
What do you give up for ROR though.
Ennis +

or Myers

or something.

Moskau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:38 PM
slip

vCash: 500
Franchise results under his stewardship speak for themselves.

Average is as average does.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:22 PM
Driftwood
Ron Rolston Forever

Somewhere along the line the board narrative switched from Fire Darcy/Keep Lindy to Keep Darcy/Fire Lindy. It makes absolutely zero sense to me. They both should be gone.

Driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:53 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I thought he had a very poor summer post-draft. While everyone was busy high-fiving each other about Roy's departure, Regier failed to adequately replace him. In addition, he failed to even attempt addressing the glaring need for a pivot who can win faceoffs and play heavy defensive minutes that was created with the Gaustad and Roy departures. Why not go hard after a guy like Halpern who can win you a faceoff? Why talk about getting tougher and get beat for guys like Konopka or Burish?
Yep. In Regier-speak, making one move address all of one ill. Getting Ott gave them someone to win faceoffs AND provide sand. It reminds me of his talk of getting tougher 10 years ago and his big move was getting Mair (and only Mair). There was a big need for a guy who could handle 3/4 line role with d-zone starts and win a draw -- instead of finding that guy, perhaps another guy with sand, we see Hecht signed at the 11th hour after he was clearly not in their season plans. Hecht's career numbers for faceoffs are low-to-mid-40%. Again, a single move when more is needed.

Laurels. They have been stood upon.

And does anyone know the term? There were people talking 8 years at the rink last night. I haven't seen anything reputible in e-print anywhere that makes me think that is true... God, I hope it isn't.

01-30-2013, 09:05 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Yep. In Regier-speak, making one move address all of one ill. Getting Ott gave them someone to win faceoffs AND provide sand. It reminds me of his talk of getting tougher 10 years ago and his big move was getting Mair (and only Mair). There was a big need for a guy who could handle 3/4 line role with d-zone starts and win a draw -- instead of finding that guy, perhaps another guy with sand, we see Hecht signed at the 11th hour after he was clearly not in their season plans. Hecht's career numbers for faceoffs are low-to-mid-40%. Again, a single move when more is needed.

Laurels. They have been stood upon.

And does anyone know the term? There were people talking 8 years at the rink last night. I haven't seen anything reputible in e-print anywhere that makes me think that is true... God, I hope it isn't.
I think they've done a very good job over the last few years of drafting to build a complete team. So that their aren't glaring organizational holes at the pro levels. The impact of the rebuilding of the pipe is only just scratching the surface.

sure, there are missing pieces presently... but we'll never know if their were no trade partners, if free agents simply preferred to go to Toronto (mcclement).

Clearly, Hecht was a fall back option... so clearly they attempted to address the issue in other ways.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:37 AM
slip

Quote:
I wasn't aware tenure was an option for a professional coach.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:43 AM
Ace1963

Considering that Regier didn't extend his own contract, perhaps this thread should be titled:

YOUR limit with Pegula?

The honeymoon's over.

Ace1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:45 AM
Dixon Ward
Fire SOMEONE

it's funny to listen to ksly talk a whole lot without actually saying anything on hockey hotline when callers criticize lindy, darcy, management, etc.

Dixon Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:47 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
I was walking the line with Lindy, but after seeing his comments defending Brown and throwing his injured player under the bus have sent me over the edge. It's unfathomable that he took Brown's side. Even if you believe that Brown was right, you have to have your injured players back. How can anyone possibly want to play for this guy?

Edit: not sure why I was thinking it was a Lindy thread.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:51 AM
Dixon Ward
Fire SOMEONE

Quote:
i don't think the term has been made public, but isn't 8-years the originally speculated length of ruff's extension a couple seasons ago? i think it's just the go-to, worst case scenario figure.

Dixon Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:25 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I think they've done a very good job over the last few years of drafting to build a complete team. So that their aren't glaring organizational holes at the pro levels. The impact of the rebuilding of the pipe is only just scratching the surface.

sure, there are missing pieces presently... but we'll never know if their were no trade partners, if free agents simply preferred to go to Toronto (mcclement).

Clearly, Hecht was a fall back option... so clearly they attempted to address the issue in other ways.
I like what his scouting department has done over the last four-five years. That said, scouts often transcend the longevity of the man at the top of the department. I'm not advocating throwing out the entire hockey department staff, but making a change at the top specifically both at GM and behind the bench.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:39 PM
Newcastlesabre
Rookie User

Im relatively new to Ice Hockey, and forgive my ignorance but the management structure is fairly complex compared to in English football. How does it work, I.E, what is Lindys job compared to Regeir? I here people talking about a management change and I can understand the feeling about this, but who is to blame for our lack of success?

Newcastlesabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:54 PM
stokes84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastlesabre View Post
Im relatively new to Ice Hockey, and forgive my ignorance but the management structure is fairly complex compared to in English football. How does it work, I.E, what is Lindys job compared to Regeir? I here people talking about a management change and I can understand the feeling about this, but who is to blame for our lack of success?
Here's the basics of what you need to know:

Owner: Terry Pegula

President: Ted Black - Runs the show, only answers to Pegula

General Manager: Darcy Regier - In charge of player personal and transactions. Basically the architect of the team.

Coach: Lindy Ruff

In English Football, the coach and GM are the same person. Usually the coach and GM are different positions in American sports. Occasionally, the coach has both titles, but it's rare.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:00 PM
Newcastlesabre
Rookie User

Thanks for that stokes. So on that basis theres blame on both sides? I feel there are too many average players in our team and not enough depth on our lines, but also tactically things need to change. The constant turnovers in our own zone, the sloppy slow starts, the constant long pass attempts that lead to nothing. I have to wonder why Lindy has deserved such a long tenure, despite the relative lack of success.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:14 PM
stokes84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastlesabre View Post
Thanks for that stokes. So on that basis theres blame on both sides? I feel there are too many average players in our team and not enough depth on our lines, but also tactically things need to change. The constant turnovers in our own zone, the sloppy slow starts, the constant long pass attempts that lead to nothing. I have to wonder why Lindy has deserved such a long tenure, despite the relative lack of success.
It's complicated and people have built up their opinions over years and years following these guys, but I guess the more popular opinion is that Darcy has made a lot of moves, especially recently, that have been popular with fans. And when you make popular moves that aren't translating to wins, the coach is an easy target for frustration.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:23 PM
Newcastlesabre
Rookie User

Yeah, I have only been following NHL and the Sabres for a few years, so my opinions I guess arent quite as valid as long term fans, but even I can see how inconsistent we are. You can see with the additions if Ott and Scott the attempt to build a tougher team, after being totally outmuscled last season but are these players good enough? I just see us starting games so poorly and wonder if Lindy has lost the ability to get the team fired up and up for games. Hard to sack someone after such a long reign, no matter what the circumstances I guess.

Old
02-04-2013, 07:42 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
1-5-1. I wonder how bad the slide has to be before he pulls the plug on his wife, err Lindy.

Old
02-04-2013, 07:53 AM
Mit Yarrum
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 1663
Quote:
1-5-1. I wonder how bad the slide has to be before he pulls the plug on his wife, err Lindy.
Do you think he would midseason?

I think it's a real possibility given how bad they've looked.

Mit Yarrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:59 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor View Post
Do you think he would midseason?

I think it's a real possibility given how bad they've looked.
I think he should now, to hell with mid-season. And he should not be exempt either -- he put this pile of disjointed crap together.

Old
02-04-2013, 08:10 AM
Mit Yarrum
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 1663
Quote:
I think he should now, to hell with mid-season. And he should not be exempt either -- he put this pile of disjointed crap together.
I agree with you, but what I meant was do you think Darcy will do it? Surely he sees what the rest of us do. I wonder if he has it in him to fire Lindy in the middle of the season.

Not sure I agree about Regier though. I'd like to see him stay.

Mit Yarrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:15 AM
Zip15

Quote:
What was the streak that he survived last season around this time? I wonder if Pegula is harkening back to that losing streak and the subsequent run they went on to rationalize that Ruff can get them out of this dark place.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:06 PM
Push Dr Tracksuit
Gerstmann 3:16

They're not gonna fire Lindy, EVER. If it gets that bad he will be promoted in hockey operations and a crony will be brought in to run the on ice product. The center issue, there was no room in Roc because of the lockout so they didn't sign anyone, lockout ends veteran dman goes down and a veteran forward gets signed. You need a guy to win faceoffs but the roster spy's are takin by a 22, 23, and an 18 year old. These three players and their development might be the most crucial aspect of the next 3 year for this franchise. Until the decision is made on who fills the top 9 I can't see them doing anything bigger than Hecht. This team isn't winning now and given that they just plugged in 3 kids at center I don't think they believe it's gonna win now. Darcy has never been a knee jerk guy, he builds a sample then spends most of the season analyzing it. In 2 offseasons he's addressed second D pairing, #2 center, potential #1 center, potetial #3 center, top tier fighter, and hard nosed grinder. If half of these work out then he's batting above league average.

Last edited by Push Dr Tracksuit: 02-04-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Push Dr Tracksuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 05:47 AM
Squantosawuss

My limit with Darcy was reached the moment he declared that one man would be his coach as long as he was GM.

That proclamation showed Darcy to be ill-equipped to make reasonable coaching personnel decisions and adjustments as time moved on.

Anybody who thinks that way, is bush league. Even a coach who's won several Cups should probably be replaced if enough time goes by where little progress is made toward becoming a contender

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:08 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
I thought he should've been removed several times since his tenure began. I'm not impressed with him overall and his marriage to his coach is another piece of ballast as far as I'm concerned.
this.

He's made some good deals, but they are never followed up with anything. We're always left with... okay whats next? Just to find out there isn't something else coming until next deadline. Being reluuctant to pull the trigger can sometimes be good, but when a team is playing horribly there has to be something done. Just biding time isn't the way to go. If changes aren't made, more games are lost and the chances that you make a playoff run are destroyed.

The shackles were off when Pegula came in and we're still fighting between 7-12th for most of the time. Its ********.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote