HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

#08 | New Jersey Devils vs. New York Islanders | Feb 3 | 3 PM | L 3-0

Old
02-04-2013, 08:55 AM
Trumanperro

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
Martinek is better than Carkner and Hickey...just saying.
A traffic cone is better than Carkner. The guy is even more brutal to watch live. Against the devils he was caught flat-footed so many times.

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:55 AM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyphistos View Post
You're absolutely right, but I think this is exactly the reason why many of us react so bipolar - at least I can speak for myself. It's because we didn't expect the team to perform as well as they did until now. Therefore it feels like some kind of dream and we still fear that it has been only a hot streak. So every bad game lets us fear that we will wake up and be brought back to earth with a bang.

It's even a self-amplifying process, because when you see how "unstable" we as fans react, wouldn't you think that the players have the exact same thoughts? And wouldn't this thinking even increase the fear to see "the old Isles" again? ;-)
Check out the post-games and Hammer intermission interview, all the players find is unacceptable and they will make the changes. We have seen that already this year. This is not the same team and I personally went in expecting an 8-10 finish but I think we could be 6-10 pending on how the streaks go and if Philly completely bombs out.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:26 AM
Islanderfan17

lol'ing at any of the negative reactions about yesterdays game. I was at the game and I thought we played fine, it was actually a very good tight game between both teams up until that absolutely atrocious charging call on Strait (which was really just a damn good check). I mean, really refs? Making a ****** call like that with little time left in a 0-0 game? It's as if these guys didn't want to have to ref an OT game or something I would have been fine had the Devs just won on a clean goal, but I hate seeing a well played game by both teams being decided by a total **** call.

We played fine yesterday but Hedberg played better, like someone else said, it happens. Overall I was fine with how we played and I like what I'm seeing lately, curious to see how we'll do against Pitt tomorrow.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:29 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
lol'ing at any of the negative reactions about yesterdays game. I was at the game and I thought we played fine, it was actually a very good tight game between both teams up until that absolutely atrocious charging call on Strait (which was really just a damn good check). I mean, really refs? Making a ****** call like that with little time left in a 0-0 game? It's as if these guys didn't want to have to ref an OT game or something I would have been fine had the Devs just won on a clean goal, but I hate seeing a well played game by both teams being decided by a total **** call.
Well, everyone was guaranteed that they'd be home in time for kickoff if they came to the game.

I had to turn off the game just after the Grabner breakaway, but I though they played ok with the exception of the power play. It let them down in a major way yesterday. Other than that, I had no real complaints except for the ones I normally have, but that's more symptomatic of the roster than it is with the effort. Hopefully, they have more luck against the Penguins on Tuesday.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:05 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanperro View Post
A traffic cone is better than Carkner. The guy is even more brutal to watch live. Against the devils he was caught flat-footed so many times.
Why was he out on the PK? It was his failure to clear from the corner that lead to the first goal.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:08 AM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
Why was he out on the PK? It was his failure to clear from the corner that lead to the first goal.
Strait was in the box. He was kind of out there by default.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:15 AM
Islander Prophet

this game was pretty much as bad as it gets. Every single player did terrible mistakes and nobody seemed to be coordinated. The guys couldn't control the puck and it was sloppy in general. Hope they bounce back against the Pens because we can't afford to play like this against back to back division rivals

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:18 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Strait was in the box. He was kind of out there by default.
Ewe, run three D-men for that important a kill or throw Hickey out there. I'd have to say he's been great for this team. Can't complain about anything he's done just yet.

Old
02-04-2013, 12:22 PM
redbull
Expect more

lots of negativity in this thread, it was really just one boring game where the team played well at times, awful at other times, game could have gone either way.

That Grabs breakaway goes in and this is the Isles winning.
Considering JT was "marginal" - had a couple of good shifts and chances but largely wasn't in sync. I don't think it was NJ's effective checking as much as JT being off with his timing and linemates, too many bad, low percentage passes....whatever.

The PP was terrible - and that's the game.

No need to overanalyze. The dmen minutes are fine, all teams favour their top 3-4 players and Cappy is right in the icetime distribution, those top four are the best they have and they need to be on the ice against opposing top players - period.

Why Cappy hasn't played Martinek is beyond me, but maybe he was hurting a bit, who knows.

Visnovsky will help a great deal, if he makes it.

Isles are a good team this year, better than I expected (so far, anyway).

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:15 PM
wingnutks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
They didn't win.. Not every night is the power play going to be number one in the world especially against a team they've played three times in two weeks.. So lets not go to a game because they had down night and that must be an indicator on how they'll play Tuesday!

They win Tuesday we'll have the same people complaining the attendance wasnt high enough and I can't wait for the next game!

This team has a shot to make the playoffs as a low seed.. They're goin to lose they're fair share of games people shouldn't freak out about a game they lost late while playing like crap and still having deserved at least one point. Not to be a downer but they won 5 of 7 games two times last season and four of five another occasion, hot streaks happen and so will cold ones. I'm just praying they can manage to take another step this year.
Ive never been to a game before where I saw such poor work ethic, especially AWAY from the puck. Its hard to see that via TV, but in person it was apparent. Watching Moulson play made me want to kick a kitten.

wingnutks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:21 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutks View Post
Ive never been to a game before where I saw such poor work ethic, especially AWAY from the puck. Its hard to see that via TV, but in person it was apparent. Watching Moulson play made me want to kick a kitten.
No joke.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:25 PM
wingnutks

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
No joke.
This is a young team, and at times needs to be treated more like a high schoo/college team, and less like a "professional" team. Sometimes they need to be yelled at. Its not as apparent when watching on TV, but live, MM is a floating, gliding, lazy player. It is even more glaring when he is not having his fung shui with JT. Instead of being the goal scorer who is just waiting for the puck to find him, he is just a guy waiting around.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:56 PM
Brunomics

Quote:
This is a young team, and at times needs to be treated more like a high schoo/college team, and less like a "professional" team. Sometimes they need to be yelled at. Its not as apparent when watching on TV, but live, MM is a floating, gliding, lazy player. It is even more glaring when he is not having his fung shui with JT. Instead of being the goal scorer who is just waiting for the puck to find him, he is just a guy waiting around.
Where have you been the past three seasons? If he's not in the slot waiting for a JT pass he's pretty much useless.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:04 PM
wingnutks

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
Where have you been the past three seasons? If he's not in the slot waiting for a JT pass he's pretty much useless.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:37 PM
Veteran journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
lots of negativity in this thread, it was really just one boring game where the team played well at times, awful at other times, game could have gone either way.

Considering JT was "marginal" - had a couple of good shifts and chances but largely wasn't in sync. I don't think it was NJ's effective checking as much as JT being off with his timing and linemates, too many bad, low percentage passes....whatever.

No need to overanalyze. The dmen minutes are fine, all teams favour their top 3-4 players and Cappy is right in the icetime distribution, those top four are the best they have and they need to be on the ice against opposing top players - period.

Why Cappy hasn't played Martinek is beyond me, but maybe he was hurting a bit, who knows.

Agreed. Not the sharpest game, but not a catastrophe either. Game was one shoulder-check-called-charging penalty away from being a 1-0 OT nail-biter. I think we'd all agree Hedberg made a few game-saving stops, too. He lets two of those in, and we're all talking about how this team's for real today.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:21 PM
Brunomics

Quote:
whoops, I"m sick right now so I've kinda out of it. Strange that it started right after I left the coliseum yesterday.

Old
02-04-2013, 06:50 PM
13th Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post

I admit that I am guilty of being bi polar just like every other Islanders fan on this board. It’s tough to not be pessimistic with what we have gone through as a fanbase. I am trying to be as objective as possible, but frankly I just don’t think this is a playoff team. I’d agree that we are better than last year, but right now I see us on the outside cusp of the playoffs and looking in. So call that 9th – 13th. It’s good that we are better, but with 5 straight lottery picks, with one of them being a superstar entering his prime, it is hard to get worse. Frankly, the small progress is like a blind squirrel finding a nut. It just isn’t good enough.

Why do I think we will finish 9th – 13th. Well, here goes:

1. Let’s start with simply ranking the teams in some tiers that I made up. Teams definitely better than us: Pittsburgh, NYR, Philly, Boston, Montreal, Ottawa. Teams that are question marks that we may be able to better than but are most likely a tad bit better than us: NJD, Buffalo, Tampa Bay. Teams that are question marks that we may be better than and very well could be: Toronto, Winnipeg, Carolina. Teams that are worse than us: Florida, Washington. Of course this is my own opinion, and I can see some of these teams shifting up or down a bit – but it is a basic gist. That puts us at 7th with the 6 teams I’m saying will definitely be better, and at 10th with the teams that most likely will be better. And I think that’s pretty fair. Add in the fact that half of our games are against the Atlantic, and teams in the tiers similar to ours have an advantage. A few loser points here and there with the Southeast playing each other versus us losing in regulation to our Atlantic foes, and watch us drop like a bomb.

2. We aren’t good enough 5 on 5. This Devils game our PP was 0-7, which is as much of an anomaly as our ridiculously good PP was going into that game. Same with the PK. We had good special teams last year (top third in the league) and again lacked the 5 on 5 skill to contend for playoff spot. The PK and PP can still both be good, but they will at least regress back down to normal levels, putting more pressure on our 5 v 5 play. Let’s look at our goal differential 5 on 5. Using the stat of goals for / goals against 5 on 5, we are at 0.77. This is pretty evident of how [not] good we are as a team. Who’s worse than us in this category? Florida, Columbus, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Washington, and Nashville. Small sample size, I know. But I’d say that is a pretty good indicator of the worst teams in the league. Anybody picking any of those teams to make the playoffs?

3. We are outcoached almost every game. Teams figure us out because we are outcoached. Goals allowed per period for the Islanders: 1st period – 5 goals. 2nd period – 6 goals. 3rd period – 14 goals (worst in the league). We are -8 in the third period in 8 games. Teams are making changes against us mid game that our coaching staff is just not capable of matching. That, and we just don’t have enough veteran leadership on the team to show these kids how to hold on to wins or finish out games we are tied or trailing in.

I admit I’m in a bit of funk after yesterday’s game. I’d love to eat my words, and with a shortened season, maybe there just isn’t enough time for the cream to rise to the top and we can squeak in. I’d way rather watch them in the playoffs and be wrong. Unless the above gets better, I just don’t see it happening.

So, instead, I take it as some improvements. We are a .500 team. And we are moving in the right direction. We get to keep our prospects out of the NHL, and a few of the more seasoned ones are starting to take nice shape (CC, DU, etc.). We are competitive. We have been in every game and it least makes it exciting to watch the team again. I’ll take that for now, but I’m not holding my breath on the playoffs because I just don’t see it.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:36 PM
A Pointed Stick
No! Slp! Til Brklyn!

So now there is criticism of the criticism? Someone explain this to me because I don't get it. The team played poorly, and for some of the players that is nothing new. Our top line as-is is not a real 1st line. Our coach leaves quite a bit to be desired. If not for special teams this club would be bottom feeding, which is a good thing, but the special teams are on a roll that can't be sustained forever. The team has performed better than it should by record.

The league is still adjusting to a 30 way tie and re-adjournment in January. More truing of our record will occur starting at that point.

I see 0% panic, hot/cold innuendo, or bipolar analysis there. IMO, 20 games tells a much truer story than the first ten. If you go back through the Islander's past three season that is exactly what happened.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:29 PM
Veteran journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
So now there is criticism of the criticism? Someone explain this to me because I don't get it. The team played poorly, and for some of the players that is nothing new. Our top line as-is is not a real 1st line. Our coach leaves quite a bit to be desired. If not for special teams this club would be bottom feeding, which is a good thing, but the special teams are on a roll that can't be sustained forever. The team has performed better than it should by record.

The league is still adjusting to a 30 way tie and re-adjournment in January. More truing of our record will occur starting at that point.

I see 0% panic, hot/cold innuendo, or bipolar analysis there. IMO, 20 games tells a much truer story than the first ten. If you go back through the Islander's past three season that is exactly what happened.
Effective special teams is a good thing, not a bad thing. Better to use it as a strength than be in last place because it's not working at any end of the ice...like we used to have to suffer through. And they're eighth in the league in 5-on-5 goals for per game, so it's not like they flat out can't put the puck in the net unless they're on a power play.

Believe me, I'm not saying all is great. This team has a mountain to climb and a ton to prove before I'll even allow myself to entertain the thought that this season might be different than last. But yesterday's game isn't the hands-thrown-up-in-frustration outing that makes me say "Same old Islanders!" Up until the last three+ minutes, both teams had some chances, both teams took away some chances; both teams blew some chances. It was fairly even play throughout, and the goalies kept things scoreless.

I don't blame the late call entirely for the loss. We all know that bad calls happen, and the Isles benefitted from a couple of not-so-good calls earlier in the game and didn't capitalize. But still...it's tough to argue that the game wouldn't have been a 1-0 OT contest for either side if Strait doesn't go off for throwing a check, in which case the tone here would probably be different.

Old
02-04-2013, 08:36 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post
I admit that I am guilty of being bi polar just like every other Islanders fan on this board. Itís tough to not be pessimistic with what we have gone through as a fanbase. I am trying to be as objective as possible, but frankly I just donít think this is a playoff team. Iíd agree that we are better than last year, but right now I see us on the outside cusp of the playoffs and looking in. So call that 9th Ė 13th. Itís good that we are better, but with 5 straight lottery picks, with one of them being a superstar entering his prime, it is hard to get worse. Frankly, the small progress is like a blind squirrel finding a nut. It just isnít good enough.

Why do I think we will finish 9th Ė 13th. Well, here goes:

1. Letís start with simply ranking the teams in some tiers that I made up. Teams definitely better than us: Pittsburgh, NYR, Philly, Boston, Montreal, Ottawa. Teams that are question marks that we may be able to better than but are most likely a tad bit better than us: NJD, Buffalo, Tampa Bay. Teams that are question marks that we may be better than and very well could be: Toronto, Winnipeg, Carolina. Teams that are worse than us: Florida, Washington. Of course this is my own opinion, and I can see some of these teams shifting up or down a bit Ė but it is a basic gist. That puts us at 7th with the 6 teams Iím saying will definitely be better, and at 10th with the teams that most likely will be better. And I think thatís pretty fair. Add in the fact that half of our games are against the Atlantic, and teams in the tiers similar to ours have an advantage. A few loser points here and there with the Southeast playing each other versus us losing in regulation to our Atlantic foes, and watch us drop like a bomb.

2. We arenít good enough 5 on 5. This Devils game our PP was 0-7, which is as much of an anomaly as our ridiculously good PP was going into that game. Same with the PK. We had good special teams last year (top third in the league) and again lacked the 5 on 5 skill to contend for playoff spot. The PK and PP can still both be good, but they will at least regress back down to normal levels, putting more pressure on our 5 v 5 play. Letís look at our goal differential 5 on 5. Using the stat of goals for / goals against 5 on 5, we are at 0.77. This is pretty evident of how [not] good we are as a team. Whoís worse than us in this category? Florida, Columbus, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Washington, and Nashville. Small sample size, I know. But Iíd say that is a pretty good indicator of the worst teams in the league. Anybody picking any of those teams to make the playoffs?

3. We are outcoached almost every game. Teams figure us out because we are outcoached. Goals allowed per period for the Islanders: 1st period Ė 5 goals. 2nd period Ė 6 goals. 3rd period Ė 14 goals (worst in the league). We are -8 in the third period in 8 games. Teams are making changes against us mid game that our coaching staff is just not capable of matching. That, and we just donít have enough veteran leadership on the team to show these kids how to hold on to wins or finish out games we are tied or trailing in.

I admit Iím in a bit of funk after yesterdayís game. Iíd love to eat my words, and with a shortened season, maybe there just isnít enough time for the cream to rise to the top and we can squeak in. Iíd way rather watch them in the playoffs and be wrong. Unless the above gets better, I just donít see it happening.

So, instead, I take it as some improvements. We are a .500 team. And we are moving in the right direction. We get to keep our prospects out of the NHL, and a few of the more seasoned ones are starting to take nice shape (CC, DU, etc.). We are competitive. We have been in every game and it least makes it exciting to watch the team again. Iíll take that for now, but Iím not holding my breath on the playoffs because I just donít see it.
I wouldn't say Montreal is definitely better than us and Ottawa is without their best forward.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:21 PM
13th Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
I wouldn't say Montreal is definitely better than us and Ottawa is without their best forward.
Fair enough. I said in my post that that part was obviously subjective and I knew someone was going to nitpick that part. Ottawa still showed that they have some spunk going on a good run last year, almost beating the Rangers, and their goalie is playing better than any other in the league right now. And Spezza isn't out for the year. Maybe they aren't DEFINITELY better, maybe they are. I can also make the argument that the Devils are definitely better than us although I didn't put them there. They have a better goalie tandem, their defense is far better, they are better at the center position, they have far better coaching, and they know how to win.

The bottom line of my post still remains: About 6 teams definitely better than us, and another 3 that are most likely better than us. Leaving us around 9th at best. How those teams fall out can be nitpicked to death. Doesn't change where we slot in the conference though.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:38 PM
A Pointed Stick
No! Slp! Til Brklyn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran journeyman View Post
Effective special teams is a good thing, not a bad thing. Better to use it as a strength than be in last place because it's not working at any end of the ice...like we used to have to suffer through. And they're eighth in the league in 5-on-5 goals for per game, so it's not like they flat out can't put the puck in the net unless they're on a power play.

Believe me, I'm not saying all is great. This team has a mountain to climb and a ton to prove before I'll even allow myself to entertain the thought that this season might be different than last. But yesterday's game isn't the hands-thrown-up-in-frustration outing that makes me say "Same old Islanders!" Up until the last three+ minutes, both teams had some chances, both teams took away some chances; both teams blew some chances. It was fairly even play throughout, and the goalies kept things scoreless.

I don't blame the late call entirely for the loss. We all know that bad calls happen, and the Isles benefitted from a couple of not-so-good calls earlier in the game and didn't capitalize. But still...it's tough to argue that the game wouldn't have been a 1-0 OT contest for either side if Strait doesn't go off for throwing a check, in which case the tone here would probably be different.
But they need to stop giving up so many goals. Special teams are only going to get worse. You can't rely on them every game to make up the difference.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:12 AM
Veteran journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
But they need to stop giving up so many goals. Special teams are only going to get worse. You can't rely on them every game to make up the difference.
Agreed there. Team D needs to be a lot better. They can't count on four goals a game and exceptional special teams all the time.