HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* London Knights 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 03:54 PM
hockeylegend11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Definitely a suspendable hit. Targeted head and went out of his way to do so. No problem with a suspension. 8 games for a first timer maybe seen as harsh to some but it was a "dink" move.

No worries, wont effect the team much, if at all
Yes I would agree wont effect the team much,as Pawley is a bit player for the Knights

at this stage in his career/age

It was similiar to what Zack Macqueen did last yr vs London against Names except he

got 10 games and Names did not miss a shift,the same I believe as I believe the

player and I forget who Pawley drilled did,as he did not miss a shift either

Old
01-30-2013, 04:01 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Id agree with that and same goes for Spits fans or any teams fans. As long as its all in fun no problem. You may not engage in warfare but you like to give good hearted jabs esp towards Knights, but also offer a good insight. Hopefully all is good and you get a chance to get back doing what you had done for so long. If thats your choice.

Again I like opposing fan bases adding to the discussion. And like reading other teams forums. Keeps me up on the goings on.
Yes its all good,thanx for the kind words,always enjoy our discussions

London is team I keep an eye on more then anybody but Windsor,something about

keeping your friends close and your enemies closer I guess lol

Old
01-30-2013, 04:02 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Yes I would agree wont effect the team much,as Pawley is a bit player for the Knights

at this stage in his career/age

It was similiar to what Zack Macqueen did last yr vs London against Names except he

got 10 games and Names did not miss a shift,the same I believe as I believe the

player and I forget who Pawley drilled did,as he did not miss a shift either
Thats a good comparison and with Zack having been around 4 years or plus and the way he played he prob had at least a small rap sheet.
In light of that 10 games he got, Id see the 8 as reasonable.
Others will disagree but Im in know way a fan of deliberate head shots, and it was that. Ive come to dislike that style of play more since being a trainer for a JR team at a lower level but same age group. If its accidental/ non deliberate it sucks but when its purposefully done.... no place for it
I used to love a good scrap (and for the most part still do) but I find myself cringing a bit more knowing the behind the scenes results.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:10 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Thats a good comparison and with Zack having been around 4 years or plus and the way he played he prob had at least a small rap sheet.
In light of that 10 games he got, Id see the 8 as reasonable.
Others will disagree but Im in know way a fan of deliberate head shots, and it was that. Ive come to dislike that style of play more since being a trainer for a JR team at a lower level but same age group. If its accidental/ non deliberate it sucks but when its purposefully done.... no place for it
I used to love a good scrap (and for the most part still do) but I find myself cringing a bit more knowing the behind the scenes results.
Actually Macqueen started late age 18,played 1 full season for his dad in Sarnia,then

his dad was told to trade him by Sting upper management,went to Windsor for his last 2

years,and with the exception of the 10 game suspension did not miss a game due to i

injury in his 3 years in the league

Old
01-30-2013, 04:22 PM
aresknights

My bad, I knew he came from Sarnia with pops running the bench but wrongly assumed hed had more than 1 year in Sting uni before traded to Spits.

I also follow the Spits more than any others for the same reasoning as you. Ktown and the Sound follow closely behind.
Jeesh Im glad Im a fan of a western conf team, always a team (or two or three) around to get a hate on for

Old
01-30-2013, 05:44 PM
spits2timechamps

Quote:
I prefer not to engage in warfare,95% of the London posters are great guys have met alot of them,or communicate with them thru pm,there are a just couple who are real dinks
Very true the first time I went to London which was last year. I made the joke with some windsor fans that i better not cheer too loud or ill get beat up. But all the fans saw my retro jersey and we hit it off right away talking about each others team and the direction we were both taking. Eventually we both said our good lucks and told each other see yeah in another western conference showdown hopefully. We were leading in that game 2-0 and eventually lost 4-2 I believe lol I can say every year there was that 1 London fan that came to Windsor and was obnoxious and giving us the finger at the end of the night (thankfully it was during the first cup run all in all everybody has those idiot fans but most of us are the same...we are canadian and we love our junior hockey!!!

Old
01-30-2013, 06:55 PM
SnipeShow91

From The Kingston Courtyard Mariott about the London Knights, in the comments section of the original artice in the Kingston Whig-Standard.

CourtyardKingston
Since this news is out and there is plenty of hearsay and conjecture being thrown about, we would like to respond to a couple of comments.

1st - When we were notified of a disturbance originating from the London Knights at approximately 8:30 PM, we immediately contacted the team management, who assured us they would return to attend to the matter. They did not return until well after midnight. In the meantime, we attempted to diffuse the situation by talking to the players and keeping them in their rooms as much we could possibly could.

2nd - We immediately recommended and offered to move the guest's room far and away from the team, or should she not want to relocate all her items, offer a secondary complimentary room to sleep, rest in for away from the team until we could fully put a handle on the matter with the return of the team's management. We did also offer compensation at the outset of the evening, including a $50 voucher at Boston Pizza and two free movies at Empire Theatre, which she gladly accepted. In the morning, she returned the Boston Pizza voucher, and in turn we comped her room for her entire stay (that night, plus the two prior).

3rd - This is an OHL team. We have had many OHL teams stay with us in the past and they have never behaved in such a manner that would even come close to disturbing any other guests. There is always great representation from management as chaperones. It would not typically be a concern to have a group such as this share a hallway with any other guests.

4th - There was no "money thrown at the hotel" to keep anything quiet or to prevent the police from acting on any potential violation. That was a decision made entirely by the officers who responded to the call.

5th - This was the first stay from The London Knights at our hotel and it will certainly be the last for a long time, if not indefinitely.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:26 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GangGreen View Post
OK, I'll spell it out for ya

The truth that Windsor is in the crapper. Trying to win a Memorial Cup bid with a team lucky to make the playoffs and losing 2 of their best players next year. No first round pick either. Praying that a bunch of US players will show up to save them. After next year, things are just gonna get worse unless Rychel gets off his ass and starts scouting Ontario players instead of taking shots at US players who he can't pay to come play anymore.
Don't get holier-than-thou either. You came to the KNIGHTS board and started with the rookie poster, dink crap.
And for the record, I'm more of the belief that 95% of Windsor fans are dinks and 5% good. I'm sure you can figure out where you lie.
Off to work now, good evening
The committee that selects Mem cup hosting looks at a whole set of criteria not just roster projection
While I would agree that the Knights roster outbids Windsor"s as a whole,the only area I say London is better is upfront,goaltending even,while on Defence Windsor gets the edge
On defence the Spits have 9 D-men who have played 5 or more OHL returning excluding overagers,while the Knights project only 4,excluding overagers
The Spits return all six starters,in fact that group of 6 I would put up against any teams returning D next yr
The Knights will lose Harrington,Hughes,Ferry and probably Sefton,who appears bored with junior and will sign with San Jose,which leaves Mermis,Zadorov,Maata and Liberati,along with youngsters with 1 game exp between the 2 of them,Centomane,and DeLorenzo
I would not be surprised if London adds 2 O/a on D next year,their front four are good but not enough to carry a team
With the exception of Seth Griffith I expect all forwards to return for London,though I expect Jammes to be dealt,But Owen Macdonald and Mike McCarron who could be the x factor here at 6"5 225lbs he would give the Knights much needed size ,those 2 forwards 1 of whom is an American would fill any gaps
Windsor projects only 9 returning forwards so I expect at least 1 maybe 2 O/a up front to go along with Giftopoulous
This is where the Spits would like to sign US forwards Nick Schmaltz and Evan Allen,not a bunch of Americans just 2,much like London recently signed in Mermis and Stolarz,and they want very badly to sign the big forward McCarron they acquired from Belleville
Yes Windsor does not have a 1st rder this coming draft,though they do have picks in every rd but the 8th,but they do have 2 1st rd picks in the Euro draft ,theirs and Niagaras,and I would say both would be based on how things are going would be in the top 30,or trade 2 of them to a team picking in the top 9, u will probably get a player better then what u would get in the 1st or at least more ready to contribute
In conclusion re forwards London at this time projects better then Windsor or anybody else wishing to bid
I like Windsor"s top 6,those 2 Americans a Euro and O/a would go along a way to narrow the gap in talent between the knights and spits up front thats for sure
Goaltending to me is even Pavelka/Dekort vs Stolarz/Patterson
If London had not hosted in 2005 and they the team had hosted other league and CHL events leading up to this upcoming mem cup selection in the last 3 years London would host,howver Windsor has done these events,and should they meet all the requiremments from the committee then why not
I think its between Windsor and London,and both would be great hosts,i just think its Windsor's turn

Old
01-31-2013, 08:09 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Quote:
I think its between Windsor and London,and both would be great hosts,i just think its Windsor's turn
I did too...right up until they were caught handing out free rides like Halloween candy. If they get it..great...they'll run a great event..but I can't look past those sanctions and what they did to earn them. Yes they were caught and yes it's something they are attempting to put behind them as an organization...but people to this day still talk about the Manson family...some things just don't go away. No matter how hard you wish for them to.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:52 AM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
I did too...right up until they were caught handing out free rides like Halloween candy. If they get it..great...they'll run a great event..but I can't look past those sanctions and what they did to earn them. Yes they were caught and yes it's something they are attempting to put behind them as an organization...but people to this day still talk about the Manson family...some things just don't go away. No matter how hard you wish for them to.
haha. Personally I don't think Windsor or London should get it. I want another market to get the opportunity to host the tournament. For a team hosting the Mem Cup next yr-> I don't think this year's roster is as important as you guys are making it. Saskatoon hasn't had that big of a year in terms of season success. 7th place and they are hosting the tournament. A lot goes into the process. Once a team is awarded the Mem Cup, you expect them to make moves either during the season or before the deadline. Short tournament, anything can happen. I thought London had it last year but that's hockey , you win some you lose some.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:47 AM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Wow. Comparing the Windsor scandal to the Manson murders is a little extreme don't you think? Maybe London's hotel scandal will also impact their chances of hosting.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:04 AM
Libbs

Quote:
Being quite presumptuous aren't we? Last I checked no details were ever released about the sanctions, what it was for (outside of "recruitment violations"), who was involved, etc.

Considering how much Portland got walloped with (and the things they were caught for), you could say that what Windsor did was even more minor than that.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:46 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawafan66 View Post
Wow. Comparing the Windsor scandal to the Manson murders is a little extreme don't you think? Maybe London's hotel scandal will also impact their chances of hosting.
Just a point that not a lot of people forget things. If the hotel shenanigans are taken into consideration..so be it. You can't turn an eye on wrong doing..that's my point. My comment was tongue in cheek..in case you missed it.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:38 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by spits2timechamps View Post
all in all everybody has those idiot fans but most of us are the same...we are canadian and we love our junior hockey!!!
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:08 PM
spits2timechamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself.
If only we had comradery like this on the Windsor board

Old
01-31-2013, 10:12 PM
sbrug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
Being quite presumptuous aren't we? Last I checked no details were ever released about the sanctions, what it was for (outside of "recruitment violations"), who was involved, etc.

Considering how much Portland got walloped with (and the things they were caught for), you could say that what Windsor did was even more minor than that.
But how do we know Portland was telling the truth when they got caught? And if that's all Windsor did, why haven't Rychel and Boughner just come out with it? Not to offend anyone, but I'd think we're a little naive if we can take everything or anything Portland said to the bank. (pun intended)

Old
02-01-2013, 11:29 AM
pinkfloyd44

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrister39 View Post
But how do we know Portland was telling the truth when they got caught? And if that's all Windsor did, why haven't Rychel and Boughner just come out with it? Not to offend anyone, but I'd think we're a little naive if we can take everything or anything Portland said to the bank. (pun intended)

I defiantly agree with you. I know for a fact the Portland situation is a lot worse than what came out to the public (which is why there's such hefty disciplinary action). That's the thing with these sanctions - When the leagues and teams come out publicly with what happened, they beat around bush and only tell you certain parts of the situation that they want you to know. To the leagues/teams credit they've done a pretty remarkable job hiding the facts of both stories as the majority of people don't know the actual details regarding what players were involved, the actual dollars paid, the vehicles and "perks" they got and the time frame it happened in. You have to give your head a shake if you think the league is going to take a handful of draft picks away and come up with huge fines for flying the players families in for games and providing players off season training.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:20 PM
nelli27
Danny Gallivan

London 1 Brampton 0 (SO)

The only team that London has outplayed this year (2013) has been the lowly 67s. It was painful to watch another game, especially a home game, where London was outworked and outplayed. At least play inspired hockey!
Brampton's forecheck was excellent, and the only reason we won was due to the play of Stolarz. That's a good sign--we need a goalie to steal a game for us, and that's what Stolarz did.
Sefton was benched in the 3rd (unless he was injured, but he remained on the bench). If you're going to bench Sefton, you might as well dress Liberati who is a good puck-moving d-man.
Broadhurst gave the puck away more than Kadri did in his London days! Yikes! Is that why Broadhurst did not see any ice in OT?
London rarely made two consecutive passes.
Hunter's constant line-juggling has not worked. Is he stupid or stubborn? Few scoring chances the entire night...isn't that a clue???
The most exciting part of the game was watching the zambonis flood the ice.
Unless this team plays with some intensity, they will embarrass themselves in the playoffs.
I'm really sick of their uninspired play since the streak snapped.
Rant over...I'm hungry.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:20 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Stolarz was GREEEEEEEAAAAAAAT!!! tonight...."Tony the Tiger"...that's right..i gave him a nickname

Old
02-02-2013, 07:48 AM
JL17

Well that may have been the least entertaining game I've ever watched. I thought the Timbits were more exciting. 55 minutes before anything worth clapping for happened. Neither goalie needed to be sharp until that point either.

Congrat to Tierney on earning from the Canadian judge a penalty and the Russians and 5.6 on that dive. I'm also glad you pick up a penalty on that. Early on I saw the reason why San Jose took in the second round but lately in the games I've seen he looks like that first round pick. He spends more time on the ice laying on the anything else. Goes down as soon as someone looks at him. You have officially been labelled a diver.

Sefton injuried or so deep in the dog house that he can't find his way out??? I think he only had 2 maybe 3 shifts the whole game.

The line combo's aside from the 4th line generated nothing. Broadhurst is moving slower then a turtle. Griffith actually showed some hustle.

Agree whomever mentioned sitting Horvat and putting out the Ruperts in OT. Last night I don't think Dale could have organized a 1 car funeral procession.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:19 AM
sbrug

Back to back shutouts, can't be too rough in Knights world. Not much else to post that hasn't been said online on other forums, but I will say that the D pairings were good last night. Sefton looked more comfortable with Maatta. Hughes can play with anyone and Harrington and Mermis continue to look better together. Harrington especially was good as he's gone back to his shot-blocking, defensive game instead of going up the ice with Mermis.

The line combos have been ****ed lately, partially because of Dale and partially because of injuries/junk play. Last night they had Elie up with Broadhurst and Griffith which I think is a great idea because you get size and physical play from Elie, playmaking from Broadhurst and shooting from Griffith.

Keep shooting, the third goal was how hockey is played, a shot and buried on the rebound. First two goals were nice passing plays but those work less often than not.

Old
02-04-2013, 08:46 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrister39 View Post

The line combos have been ****ed lately, partially because of Dale and partially because of injuries/junk play. Last night they had Elie up with Broadhurst and Griffith which I think is a great idea because you get size and physical play from Elie, playmaking from Broadhurst and shooting from Griffith.
For the most part, I want the lines to stay the same to breed familiarity....however in this part of the schedule with such a big lead for 1st, I like the idea of switching it up. It might give the guys a bit extra motiviation to produce, also I truly believe it helps their development learning to play with different styles of players. I realize that some of the juggling is due to injuries and suspensions. Right now I enjoy the shuffle.
When the playoffs come around, Dale will put em all back together again....and if at any time there is a need to shuffle it up, at least he will have a plan B to fall back on that actually has some data to support the choices.

Friday's game against Brampton, a few sick saves by Stolarz...It's been a while since I jumped out of my seat to applaud a save!
Saturday's game in Patterson Sound (yes, its been renamed), well what else can you say. Complete game by the team, they looked dominant and the usual stellar tending from Jake.
Good weekend

Old
02-04-2013, 11:42 AM
SimonKnightsman

I swear Dale does this every winter as season winds down. And yur right it's about getting everyone familiar with each other.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:46 AM
JL17

So with win 24 straight with virtually the same line combos....

OK... so now we struggled at the beginning of the season and we've struggled since the winning streak ended because the lines are going into a blender or names are being tossed in a hat and taken out.... make sense???

Chemistry amongest all lines for 24 games....
Players seemed lost in the other games....

Old
02-04-2013, 01:40 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
So with win 24 straight with virtually the same line combos....

OK... so now we struggled at the beginning of the season and we've struggled since the winning streak ended because the lines are going into a blender or names are being tossed in a hat and taken out.... make sense???

Chemistry amongest all lines for 24 games....
Players seemed lost in the other games....
Sure does! See, he didn't want to juggle the lines during the streak for fear of that being the reason the streak getting broken. Also during the streak, if you recall he did juggle lines out of necessity due to suspensions and injuries. You are just noticing it more now as he gets more creative
I would attribute the 'struggling now' (although we seem to be on the right path as of late), to the shake up at the deadline. Even small changes can send a ripple effect throughout a solid team.
Remember last year when we got McKegg...why on earth would a team go to the crapper after adding a player like Mckegg? Doesn't make sense does it...but we did. And I attribute that to the shake up of chemistry. It happens.
We aren't playing for a streak right now, and with the lead we have in first it isn't panic time so I think the development of the players has become a priority and the line juggling is just one aspect of it.

Closed Thread