HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Prospects & Minor League Teams Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 08:15 AM
zeykshade

vCash: 500
The only spot that he could argue for on the Bolts would be Tyrell's spot on the 3rd line. The spot that typically gets sat for an extra D when Boucher goes 11-7. Other than that spot, I don't see how he beats out Pouliot or Conacher and I honestly think Connolly projects into the top 6 better than Brown does. Killorn could be top 6 or 3rd line winger as well.

The depth at forward is a nice problem to have for Yzerman.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:01 AM
Syracuse Crunch fan

Brown is still injured, I think it'll be a couple more weeks if I'm remembering when he got hurt.

He hasn't gotten enough consistent playing time this year, so it's tough for me to really judge where he might fit. He's fast, that much I can say. But he's definitely behind Johnson, Panik, Killorn, Connolly and probably Vlady for a top-6 call up spot if needed (this year or next). And if it's a bottom-6 role, add Palat and Wyman to that list too.

Yes, forward depth is a great thing.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:23 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syracuse Crunch fan View Post
Brown is still injured, I think it'll be a couple more weeks if I'm remembering when he got hurt.

He hasn't gotten enough consistent playing time this year, so it's tough for me to really judge where he might fit. He's fast, that much I can say. But he's definitely behind Johnson, Panik, Killorn, Connolly and probably Vlady for a top-6 call up spot if needed (this year or next). And if it's a bottom-6 role, add Palat and Wyman to that list too.

Yes, forward depth is a great thing.
I would say thats actually backwards. I'd see Wyman up first (Guy loves him and his play), followed by Brown, Killorn, Connolly, Panik/Johnson/Vlad/Palat.

Connolly should really keep getting his big minutes in the AHL. Brown would be a reach at this point but if he were healthy i'd put him there as hes seen the system and is more physically mature. Wyman... you just know what you're going to get, good possession guy with decent hands that can fill a tweener role.

Its hard to say where JB and SY are at with these guys but i'd have to imagine they want to get another look at Brown, and probably an extended look at Killorn. Connolly can light up Syracuse and hopefully come prepared to camp next year to realize his potential to be a 35-35-70 guy in the NHL.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:25 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
All-Star game MVP.

@CoopersLaw
Coop ripping on Panik was the highlight of my night

Old
01-31-2013, 07:42 AM
InjuredChoker

Paquette had 2+1 was -2, though in a 5-6 loss.
Kucherov 1A, -1.

Old
02-02-2013, 09:42 AM
InjuredChoker

Kucherov 1a +1.
Richard 1g.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:30 AM
crunchrulz

The Crunch are in a funk, and have been since the game against Norfolk. They have lost 6 of the last 7, and are in no way the team we saw for the first half of the season. Tonight at home vs Rochester, Rochester scored the first goal and it seemed to take the air out of the Crunch. Then Mancari went after Panik for his hit last game, and the Crunch spent the last game with thier tails between thier legs looking like Crunch teams of old. Yes, they did score twice out of 21 shots in the third to only lose by two, BUT Rochester scored twice on three shots in the same period.
They were beat in every way by the Amerks tonight, heck even the Amerks fans were louder than the Crunch fans. No emotion on the ice led a crowd that was noisy at the start of the game to become quiet by the third period.
I refuse to believe callups or injuries, heck every team has them. Cooper has admitted in the local fish wrap that the Crunch are not the team they once were, dominating at the AHL level. Not sure what it is going to take but Cooper better light a fire under some tails quick or the folks who jump on and off the bandwagon at a whim are going to start breaking their ankles as they exit.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:10 AM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Last year around this time the Admirals lost a game right before the Super Bowl. The next game would be that start of an incredible run on the way to making hockey history. I'm sure that someone is bringing that story up in the locker room this weekend. Maybe the perfect timing of coincidence to get back on track and get out of this funk.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:13 AM
I Am Beat You

Lost respect for Panik when he turtled to Mancari.

Old
02-03-2013, 02:42 AM
crunchrulz

Another way to look at it. Panik answered the bell right after the hit with a fight. Perhaps he felt that was enough. Mancari was very adament that Panik would not complete the game nor the season (if I used the exact words I would get banned for life) as Panik had a target on his back. It is hard to believe that the Crunch could get intimidated in their own building, but that set the tone for the game. There was only a handful of times (maybe) that the Crunch initiated contact, while the Amerks treated the War Memorial as though it was their arena.
Player notes in addition to Panik:
Oberg needs to go the Florida to get some quality ice time to develop his game. More often than not, he is lost on the ice. If he was putting up numbers I could live with it but four assists the way he is playing does not an AHL roster spot earn for a getn who is supposed to be an offensive threat.
Gudas is going to be a force on the blueline. He is definately a gem that is only getting better with ice time. Barberio is the same way.
Wyman was quiet tonight, did not even notice he was playing. Angeledis was Angeledis; blocking shots, taking key draws, and being the captain.
Johnson is another keeper. If you like Conacher wait till both he and Johnson get together in Tampa. Killorn and Connolly are coming along nicely. Devos and Gauthier are getting more comfortable as they get more ice time. Devos has a very sweet touch on faceoffs and getting the passes through while Gauthier compliments nicely as his nose for the net improves.
Tokarski and Helenius are hot and cold, more cold of late. Just whenit looked like Tokarski was going to seize the number one spot, his play starts to fall off. Now they are back to the same level they were to start the season.

Old
02-03-2013, 06:33 AM
HoseEmDown

How's Namestnikov looked? Don't get to watch so just look at stats which aren't great yet.

Old
02-03-2013, 02:12 PM
crunchrulz

"Vlady" is looking better and better as he gets more ice time returning from injury. Killorn is also looking nice.
Korobov is quietly solid on the blue line. Paired with Gudas, he is playing the stay at home game that every team looks for when looking for a defenseman to pair with a two way threat on the blueline. Cote and Nightingale are playing within their comfort areas, which is all we can ask from them.
From the descriptions I have given, you are wondering what is going on. So are we. This is far and away the most talented team we have had in Syracuse, both on paper and on the ice for the first half of the season.
I hope the poster who mentioned a "Super Bowl" let down period last year is a fortune teller and the team starts the post Super Bowl part of the season off well.
One thing for sure, we are most glad to have Tampa Bay here after the previous affiliation. Win, lose or kiss your sister tie going into shoot-out; tis group is at least entertaining nearly every game.

Old
02-03-2013, 03:15 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchrulz View Post
Another way to look at it. Panik answered the bell right after the hit with a fight. Perhaps he felt that was enough. Mancari was very adament that Panik would not complete the game nor the season (if I used the exact words I would get banned for life) as Panik had a target on his back. It is hard to believe that the Crunch could get intimidated in their own building, but that set the tone for the game. There was only a handful of times (maybe) that the Crunch initiated contact, while the Amerks treated the War Memorial as though it was their arena.
That's not really answering the bell, that "fight" (I think it was with TJ Brennan) barely deserved a major. I'm kind of surprised that the Amerks didn't force the issue further, but I guess there's only so much they can do when Panik refuses to engage.

Old
02-03-2013, 03:56 PM
crunchrulz

I am going to disagree. He fought after the hit, no matter how short or long he answered the bell when called that time. To expect one of your leading scorers to take a chance on breaking a hand or worse to answer the bell with a troll like the much larger Mancari is wrong. Dont care what the roster says, no way Mancari s only 208lbs. I have seen him play the last several seasons and he is a spot picker supreme. He has refused more than once against the Crunch during those seasons when the player is his size, but acts like Oggie Oglethorpe against smaller players whe he feels the timing is right. Rochester has players the same size and ability as Panik, let one of them extend the challange. I doubt he will turtle then.
If you want to be upset about something last night, how about the lack of physical play by the entire team. Someone, anyone, should have at least had a conversation with Mancari after his showboating in the penalty box. Not sure if you could here what he was saying, but he made it perfectly clear that sometime this season, Panik will get taken out, legally or illegally, as revenge for the hit that took out the Amerk player allegedly for the year. No one spoke up to defend their house. instead, they sat on the bench not uttering a word and allowed the Amerks to take the play to them physically yet again this year. Other than Tarnasky, the Amerks do not have players who normally play tough. Against the Crunch again this season, they look like the frigging Broad Street Bullies of the 70s.
Hockey in Syracuse is easy to understand. The only games you really have to win to make the fans happy during the season are against the Amerks. We hate them, they hate us. The Crunch are 1-5 against them this year, so it looks like we are going to have to listen to the smack from Crapshester yet again this year.

Old
02-03-2013, 05:36 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
I am going to disagree. He fought after the hit, no matter how short or long he answered the bell when called that time.

That was about 5 seconds of grabbing before both players fell to the ice. I've seen much more get called for roughing minors.

Quote:
To expect one of your leading scorers to take a chance on breaking a hand or worse to answer the bell with a troll like the much larger Mancari is wrong. Dont care what the roster says, no way Mancari s only 208lbs. I have seen him play the last several seasons and he is a spot picker supreme. He has refused more than once against the Crunch during those seasons when the player is his size, but acts like Oggie Oglethorpe against smaller players whe he feels the timing is right. Rochester has players the same size and ability as Panik, let one of them extend the challange. I doubt he will turtle then.
If you want to be upset about something last night, how about the lack of physical play by the entire team. Someone, anyone, should have at least had a conversation with Mancari after his showboating in the penalty box. Not sure if you could here what he was saying, but he made it perfectly clear that sometime this season, Panik will get taken out, legally or illegally, as revenge for the hit that took out the Amerk player allegedly for the year. No one spoke up to defend their house. instead, they sat on the bench not uttering a word and allowed the Amerks to take the play to them physically yet again this year. Other than Tarnasky, the Amerks do not have players who normally play tough. Against the Crunch again this season, they look like the frigging Broad Street Bullies of the 70s.
Hockey in Syracuse is easy to understand. The only games you really have to win to make the fans happy during the season are against the Amerks. We hate them, they hate us. The Crunch are 1-5 against them this year, so it looks like we are going to have to listen to the smack from Crapshester yet again this year.
Mancari hasn't fought in over two years. Panik is lucky a guy like Tarnasky didn't fill him in.

Panik injured one of Rochester's young studs with a cheap shot and turtled when he was challenged in his own barn. If you want to talk about the Crunch getting embarrassed at home, this is a perfect example.

I think Richard Panik is a tremendous talent, but it really bugs me when guys don't man up and answer the bell when they absolutely should. We'll see what happens in the next meeting between these two teams, and like you, I hope the Crunch show up and play their game.

Last edited by I Am Beat You: 02-04-2013 at 01:01 PM. Reason: sp
Old
02-03-2013, 06:24 PM
crunchrulz

Fair enough. White flag. Truce. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Old
02-03-2013, 06:46 PM
I Am Beat You

Thanks, you too.

Old
02-04-2013, 09:34 AM
Syracuse Crunch fan

To add a few thoughts to the game from Saturday. Two things stood out to me.

First was Riku was horrible. Three of the Amerks goals were easily stoppable, first two went 5 hole (he leaves it wide open). On another he was flopping around like Hasek, and he's not that good. I haven't been overly impressed at all this season with his consistency.

Second thing I noticed was the team's passing. For most of the first part of the year the team would make the short, smart pass. Their transition was seamless from defense to offense. Two or three short passes and they were off to the races. It's gone downhill the last couple weeks, and Saturday was the worst. Too many telegraphed homerun passes, too many blind passes, too many weak passes, and way too many passes right onto the stick of an Amerk. Getting back to smart transitions will hopefully right a lot of the issues they are having.

Finally, couldn't agree more on Oberg, he's awful.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:53 AM
HoseEmDown

Is there a chance we can somehow trade Riku for Janus? We own both of their rights so do a swap with the KHL team. Janus looked good in the A last year and has been great this year and Riku is just not good in NA.

Old
02-04-2013, 12:15 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
Is there a chance we can somehow trade Riku for Janus? We own both of their rights so do a swap with the KHL team. Janus looked good in the A last year and has been great this year and Riku is just not good in NA.
TB can't directly trade with a KHL team. I don't know the details of getting a guy from the KHL midseason, but Janus could get out of his deal at least with a two-week notice.

Riku similarly can be 'loaned' to a team. That might count on the cap now though.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:09 PM
CC321

Quote:
The Crunch are in a funk, and have been since the game against Norfolk. They have lost 6 of the last 7, and are in no way the team we saw for the first half of the season. Tonight at home vs Rochester, Rochester scored the first goal and it seemed to take the air out of the Crunch. Then Mancari went after Panik for his hit last game, and the Crunch spent the last game with thier tails between thier legs looking like Crunch teams of old. Yes, they did score twice out of 21 shots in the third to only lose by two, BUT Rochester scored twice on three shots in the same period.
They were beat in every way by the Amerks tonight, heck even the Amerks fans were louder than the Crunch fans. No emotion on the ice led a crowd that was noisy at the start of the game to become quiet by the third period.
I refuse to believe callups or injuries, heck every team has them. Cooper has admitted in the local fish wrap that the Crunch are not the team they once were, dominating at the AHL level. Not sure what it is going to take but Cooper better light a fire under some tails quick or the folks who jump on and off the bandwagon at a whim are going to start breaking their ankles as they exit.
I think part of it is that poor goaltending can be very discouraging for a team, but also, the team won the Calder Cup last season and yet most of them still didn't get a shot at the NHL. That has to have a large deflating effect on team morale. The org. basically told them winning the Calder Cup isn't good enough. Hell, I'd be depressed too.

What's the solution? Well, when the goaltending recovers and the team's disappointment fades they should go back to being a good team again. To be a great team again, they will have to believe that Yzerman is a good enough man to not waste their careers so he can have some extra depth. I'm hoping to see some callups this season, even if there are no injuries. Let them show what they have to offer, even if it's just for 4-5 games.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:16 PM
Allaboard

Well said CC321, many good players get lost in the minors simply because they didn't get a chance.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:30 PM
Al Cervick

Huge problem for me was the play in our own zone. Not getting in shooting lanes, not really battling in the corners, and lack of communication between our Dmen. I know we play a puck possesion offense first system but we have to not let other teams have as many open looks at the net like the Amerks had.

Old
02-04-2013, 09:24 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
TB can't directly trade with a KHL team. I don't know the details of getting a guy from the KHL midseason, but Janus could get out of his deal at least with a two-week notice.

Riku similarly can be 'loaned' to a team. That might count on the cap now though.
Thats what happened to him before, but no I don't think anything has changed about it counting against the cap. Wonder what his deal is...

Old
02-05-2013, 06:44 AM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC321 View Post
I think part of it is that poor goaltending can be very discouraging for a team, but also, the team won the Calder Cup last season and yet most of them still didn't get a shot at the NHL. That has to have a large deflating effect on team morale. The org. basically told them winning the Calder Cup isn't good enough. Hell, I'd be depressed too.

What's the solution? Well, when the goaltending recovers and the team's disappointment fades they should go back to being a good team again. To be a great team again, they will have to believe that Yzerman is a good enough man to not waste their careers so he can have some extra depth. I'm hoping to see some callups this season, even if there are no injuries. Let them show what they have to offer, even if it's just for 4-5 games.
I don't buy the dissapointment of not getting a shot at the NHL as a factor.
The only player that I could see having that affect them is Connolly since he played there last year.
We also don't have a ton of blue chip prospects who usually are closer to being ready. We have a lot of later round picks or FA pick ups who know they need more developement time.
Not sure what the true issue is, the goaltending has been subpar and we have need more secondary scoring.

Closed Thread