HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

I have some more information on this years draft picks...

Old
07-03-2006, 11:57 AM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

vCash: 500
I have some more information on this years draft picks...

...that I harvested from our resident scout X-Sharkie. Some of this is very promising.

On Niko Hoivonen:

"Hovinen was an interesting pick, he's a huge goalie who was a head of Helenius last summer but he's lazy and won't even fly out to play at the spring U-18's because it was unkown whether he would start. So dedication is the issue, not talent. Still, where he was picked, and the size-talent ratio, makes him a good pick."

on James Sheppard:

"Sheppard - He's going to be an offensive centerman, I hear the defensive shut down crap but he'll just be a real solid two way player..Joe Thornton can play the PK and back checks but he's offensive first, and so will Sheppard...Wait untill you see him protect the puck with his long reach and poise, then make a beuty pass...I can't say it enough that he's arguably the best play maker in the draft...great stuff. Not a power forward though I must say."

on Ondrej Fiala:

"Fiala was a really good pick, he's 6-3/6-4 tall lanky guy, His stride is powerful and that combined with how long and smooth it is makes him a great skater. He also has some dangle, he also has some creativity, and his shot is heavy...he needs to refine every aspect of his offensive game but all the tools are there to play on the top two lines some day..he's strong and physically willing but it's not like he's a grinder, more of a skilled player."

On Kyle Medvec:

"Medvec was a fine selection, he is a monster! on the ice, while he isn't the meanest player his skill level was really high for a High Schooler, he's a long term project but he can really handle the puck like it's on a string and he's fairly agile on his feet, not fast but sturdy...He has a monster shot, I mean one of the hardest shots in the entire draft from the point. If he can grow a consistent mean streak, I would be scared of his potential."

On Cal Clutterbuck:

"Clutterbuck is in the line of a Steve Downie type...He has a mean streak, hits everybody hard... has deceptive speed to the outside...plays hard in his own end...A real true pest and team guy. He'll play in the NHL and every team needs a guy like him...sorta Niemenen ish."

He's never seen Hickey play, but from what I know he is one of the top High Schoolers in the state at Cretin-Durham Hall; committed to Wisconsin and is undecided whether he'll play his senior season here or go to the USHL. I think its a good pick tho, he has alot of potential.

I really really really like how we did our draft this year...I would have liked Mueller, but I cannot complain with Sheppard. I think Fiala and Clutterbuck were steals because they fell to us, Fiala might be a steal on O'Sullivanesque proportions- Clutterbuck gives us that *****-disturber presence, and can put the puck in the net too.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote