HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Райан О'Рейли: In Soviet Ontario Offer Sheets Sign You; Rayan's 3rd Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2013, 06:19 AM
Jeff_Dyck_#1
Est. MMII

vCash: 500
It's time for Sherman to dump this crying baby to the Islanders or Columbus.

Old
02-04-2013, 06:20 AM
TheStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
I wonder what the reaction will be if/when he gets traded. Papa Stastny is just a little crazy, Papa O'Reilly sounds like he's crazy and on some sort of drugs. Should we expect a weird/cryptic tweet or an all out rant?
Based on how much of a little ***** he seems to be, we'll probably see a rant rivaling that of Quincey when he left.

Old
02-04-2013, 06:36 AM
danmcn12
#freeRedmond

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Dater knows nothing. Sorry. Just absolutely nothing. Evander Kane? When was he ever brought up? Captaincy was discussed, yes, but that wasn't a tipping point and O'Ry knew back in July that he wasn't amongst the final 3 choices for captaincy. I won't mention the stupid crap the Avs pointed out because I'm accused of just being a biased friend, but we'd all feel offended in that situation after busting our *** and "overachieving" while overpaid primadonnas or pampered shiney toys underachieved.
No surprise dater is wrong.

But I think getting insulted in negotiations and sitting out for a couple million after one good NHL season is being a pretty big primadonna.

Old
02-04-2013, 06:50 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
It's extremely hard to comment without knowing what was actually said but I have to ask whether this is your view of Stastny and Duchene, or Ryan's. Because if this is the esteem in which Ryan holds his teammates, I feel like we have a bigger problem than just getting him signed.
Pretty clear that his opinion, perhaps even the way Ryan's agent proposed things.

But I still don't agree with the statement. O'Reilly reminds me of a young intern, eager to make a difference and help the company but not willing to take the role of an intern. He needs to get grounded back to reality that he's still only 22, younger than some prospects. A 3.5mil 'prove it to me' contract is not only fair, it's also beneficial to him.

If he wanted to remain an Av for awhile, he has the option to get that contract. But at a discount, not a premium for the Avs as we've voiced what we want.

Old
02-04-2013, 08:03 AM
Bubba Thudd
Infer-Action!!!

vCash: 7757
Quote:
Dater knows nothing. Sorry. Just absolutely nothing. Evander Kane? When was he ever brought up? Captaincy was discussed, yes, but that wasn't a tipping point and O'Ry knew back in July that he wasn't amongst the final 3 choices for captaincy. I won't mention the stupid crap the Avs pointed out because I'm accused of just being a biased friend, but we'd all feel offended in that situation after busting our *** and "overachieving" while overpaid primadonnas or pampered shiney toys underachieved.
It seems like you would like us to support ROR in this standoff, because he has apparently been wronged.
But then you refuse to tell us how he has been wronged.
So, speculation and rumors and what we read (like the 2 year deal in Russia) are all we have to go by, and they don't paint ROR in a good light.
Kind of hard to support him when nobody will tell us the full story.
All we see is what it is doing to the team we love.

Old
02-04-2013, 08:10 AM
chet1926

Quote:
Terrible statement, I don't care if you are friends with the guy or not but this statement makes you come off as a friend trying to stand up for a friend with no factual basis.

As I've mentioned plenty of times in previous posts about this situation, plenty of people in the real world work their butts off only to watch other people who don't deserve it get raises and promotions etc. That real life, you don't always get what you want or deserve. You have two options either suck it and prove them wrong or quit. I don't see O'Reilly wanting to quit the NHL so I guess his next best option is to suck it up and prove them wrong.

10% of life is what happens to you, the other 90% is how you react to it. Right now ROR is failing the 90% hardcore.

Old
02-04-2013, 08:15 AM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
I question the extent of the things Dater actually knows.
I bet the source of the captaincy story are this thread and all the speculation which is going on in here. It's February and O'Reilly is still mad because Landy was named captain half a year ago? Really? And he had refused to sign a contract before Landy was named captain because of.... what? Also, why is he hurting his chances to ever become a captain in the NHL by creating the legacy of being the last unsigned RFA after the lockout if the C was so important for him?
This is mainly about money and maybe a bit about pride. I believe the plus/minus thing but not because O'Reilly feels insulted but because Avs are using this logic to offer less money than he deserves in his opinion.

Old
02-04-2013, 08:28 AM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Well, here's the chance to prove you really know a thing or two about the situation.

Old
02-04-2013, 08:39 AM
RockLobster
Jon Snow, Uneducated

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by klozge View Post
Well, here's the chance to prove you really know a thing or two about the situation.
He doesn't need to "prove" anything to us.

Old
02-04-2013, 08:39 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by klozge View Post
He very likely knows more than half the 'reporters' spouting crap, but most of this thread is indeed summized by post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Aka, O'Reilly is holding out because the Avs didn't offer enough money. Well we don't know that and we're just assuming because of what we've heard. Then there is the O'Reilly is holding out because he wants to be a #1 center crowd, the captain crowd, etc.

Odds are it's a combination of events primarily due to his agent getting it in his head that the longer he waits the more money he'll get. Due to being injured(?) he can afford to wait since he wouldn't be playing anyways.

Old
02-04-2013, 08:49 AM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:

Now that's some irony.

Old
02-04-2013, 09:16 AM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
These two things speak volumes IMO.

First, whether or not this tantrum is about the captaincy or not (pretty irrelevant IMO) it doesn't show well that ROR isn't among the 3 finalists. The player he was portrayed as was a leader and the hardest worker on the team. If he is that sort of player and isn't in the top 3 (my guess Landy, EJ, and Stastny-which probably says they will re-sign him) considered by management and the coaching staff, there is another issue. Basically, from an outside perspective it looks like ROR is everything you could possibly want in a hockey player, but not being in the final 3 tells you a lot about how he is thought of from the inside.

The second part may be exactly why he wasn't in the top 3. If he really feels that way about his teammates, then he isn't as great of teammate as we are lead to believe. I have played at a decently high level and know there are lots of teammates that you don't like, it is just a part of the game. Yet, you still have to respect and get along with them for the betterment of the team. If he is portraying those attitudes about those players, it signifies a lack of respect towards them and that could be a dividing point. Which is one thing that Landy has to his credit, it really seems like he commands respect from other players and portrays respect to his teammates (outside perspective though).

Also with the second part, it seems that point of that view is very biased towards one party. Duchene was anything but pampered last season when he was struggling. He was on the the wing and 3rd or 4th lines for a good portion of the season. I seem to remember him being scratched as well at one point. That isn't being pampered. Now from ROR's perspective it may seem like Duchene get linemates catered to him and is given more offensive minutes. That probably is true, but objectively, Duchene is on a totally different level with offensive skill. Duchene has elite scoring talent if he can ever develop a shot. When it comes to Stastny, I have heard/know things that wouldn't necessarily say that he is a primadonna, so much as really arrogant about how good of a player he is. In some ways rightfully so as he has been scoring as a first line center for a good part of his career. In other ways could probably rub off wrong to his teammates, and it sounds like it has with ROR.

Last edited by henchman24: 02-04-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old
02-04-2013, 09:25 AM
klozge
Avs

Listening to the Podcast right now. Dater isn't reporting that Avs are using the difference in plus/minus between O'Reilly and Landeskog in the negotiations as a fact. He's speculating. Dater doesn't like words like "possibly" or "in my opinion" which is why he's confusing sometimes. That's how I'm hearing it at least.

Old
02-04-2013, 09:28 AM
Mant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
So if what Dater is saying is true, then I have lost all respect for O'Reilly. If one of his big issues is that he wasn't given the C, thats insane. You don't play hockey for a letter on your shirt. You play for the love of the game. If it leads to one of those letters on your shirt all the more power to you, but there have been plenty of great players that weren't captains. You didn't see Peter Forsberg having a hissy fit and refusing to sign because Joe Sakic was captain. Its just a letter on your jersey, the team/management decided that they liked Landeskog as captain, so what? It doesn't mean they hate O'Reilly as a player, it means that they liked Landeskog more as a captain. Most players would be fine with that and try to prove to the team they were worthy of an A, but O'Reilly pulls a poor me and has a hissy fit.

Also to compare himself to E Kane is ridiculous. Kane has out performed O'Reilly offensively every year except their rookie season. Unfortunately the way people are paid in this league is by offensive stats. I think someone else made the comment of Phil Kessel gets paid more than Bergeron, but that doesn't mean I'd rather have Kessel, it just shows that offensive stats are the most important component to getting paid in this league.
Make no mistake... they play for money and no other reason.

Old
02-04-2013, 09:54 AM
AslanRH
Guenin Get Out

vCash: 354
Quote:
I would doubt that this was a tipping point as well, and think that it is very minor in this situation and probably not worth discussing much more. What's done is done.

Just because he was not a top 3, does not reflect necessarily on where the team stands on his leadership. Certain guys are leaders on the team, but are not necessarily the guys you want to be leading out front, with the press, public, etc. You want them to be the leaders on the ice and in the locker room, and I doubt anyone in the front office nor in RoR's camp doubt his abilities and work ethic there. I could easily see him wearing an A this year if he was signed before the season over Stazz.

I can't remember which Goalie it was that wore the C a while back and it really affected his play. Lando has some experience with the C, and seemed a natural fit to take the roll for the Avs.

Old
02-04-2013, 09:57 AM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslanrh View Post
I would doubt that this was a tipping point as well, and think that it is very minor in this situation and probably not worth discussing much more. What's done is done.

Just because he was not a top 3, does not reflect necessarily on where the team stands on his leadership. Certain guys are leaders on the team, but are not necessarily the guys you want to be leading out front, with the press, public, etc. You want them to be the leaders on the ice and in the locker room, and I doubt anyone in the front office nor in RoR's camp doubt his abilities and work ethic there. I could easily see him wearing an A this year if he was signed before the season over Stazz.

I can't remember which Goalie it was that wore the C a while back and it really affected his play. Lando has some experience with the C, and seemed a natural fit to take the roll for the Avs.
Luongo IIRC

Old
02-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Rhaego

Can someone explain Ryan's strategy to me?

Does he really think the Avs are going to fold and give him his contract?

Does he want to be traded?

Or does he want to play in Russia until he's 27?

Old
02-04-2013, 10:26 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Some of you guys are becoming way too emotional.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:37 AM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Pampered Shiny new toys underachieved?

I guess 55 points a +20(While his linemate went -1) and winning the Calder at 18/19 is underachieving. And you know Downie and McGinn didn't do much when they came over either.

I mean its fine we all get Oreilly is your friend, but don't come on here telling us news who are obviously false.

Last edited by Frenchy: 02-04-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old
02-04-2013, 10:42 AM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
Pampered Shiny new toys underachieved?

I guess 55 points a +20(While his linemate went -1) and winning the Calder at 18/19 is underachieving. And you know Downie and McGinn didn't do much when they came over either.

I mean its fine we all get Oreilly is your friend, but don't come on here telling us news who are obviously false.
That line is obviously talking about Duchene.

Last edited by Frenchy: 02-04-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old
02-04-2013, 10:42 AM
JVR21
Sexy Hexy

ROR fantasy keeper league owner here. What's the latest? Is he worth holding on to? I'd hate to dump him when his value's at an all-time low but at this point I might have to.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:59 AM
TheStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
ROR fantasy keeper league owner here. What's the latest? Is he worth holding on to? I'd hate to dump him when his value's at an all-time low but at this point I might have to.
Doubt he ever plays in an Avs uniform again and frankly don't care anymore. Rather have something than nothing which is all we have now. Doesn't mean he won't be very good in the future.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:00 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Any risk you take by keeping him is entirely on you. I wouldn't even pick him up off waivers right now.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:02 AM
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser

I'm thinking the only shred of hope there is that the Avs are now waiting for that leg to heal, then start the talks again. RoR's aware how bad he's looking in all of this, swallows his damn pride and signs the paper. Comes back and plays great for couple of years, then gets that big he contract he then deserves.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Landeslog

I guess I don't understand how Duchene was pampered last year.

Closed Thread