HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Bergevin puts human face on the Habs

Old
02-04-2013, 08:11 AM
HomaridII

vCash: 500
Bergevin puts human face on the Habs

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...533/story.html

Its nice, one veteran sportswriter said Sunday, comparing this management team to the last one, to work with human beings for a change.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:14 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...533/story.html

Its nice, one veteran sportswriter said Sunday, comparing this management team to the last one, to work with human beings for a change.
Even Jack Todd has taken his frown and turned it upside down.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:23 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Things have been very rosy so far. When times get tough, we will see. For now it's all good.

loudi94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:35 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Yes, PG was a soulless automaton. Yes, its lovely that Bergevin has been much more personable and made all the media type's jobs easier. Yes, this is a lovely start to the season.

Lets see what happens when they face some adversity.

Captain Smurf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:46 AM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

Ahh fiddlesticks. Pierre for all his faults knew the gazette writers for what they are: snivelling, lazy baby boomers.

Jack Todd the draft dodger is only interested in himself.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:05 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Ahh fiddlesticks. Pierre for all his faults knew the gazette writers for what they are: snivelling, lazy baby boomers.

Those lazy snivelling dodgy baby boomers have forgotten more about hockey than you have accumulated over your years. But that doesn't have anything to do with the story.

When you are doing a good job there are few reasons not to be transparent and open. With a body of work like Gainey and Gauthier, there are good reasons to shelter yourself from questions and opinion.

I suspect if Bergevin too sends numerous draft picks and young players to other teams for fruit baskets and expired coupons the current regime will seal itself off from media. But what are the chances that another GM could be as incompetent as his predecessors.

The fresh air is also helping the hockey product breathe, as has been mentioned on this board by people who get it, success is a top down thing that brings the best out in people.

Todd obviously recognizes this.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:10 AM
Andy

Once upon a time the writers were apart of the "In Bob we trust" groupies, until the team started to go south under Gainey and they turned on him.

I no longer read or listen to the radio in Montreal for hockey opinions anymore. I get way more insightful comments on these boards.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:12 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post

I don't get why indulging the spoiled brats of the Montreal media is considered a good thing around here.

Bergevin playing the PR game could end up being a smart move if they left the team alone...but instead they are making up stories about Subban to get attention. Well the gazette have been good troops - so far, but give it time for another language controversy to arise for them to jump at.

Gauthier's terrible communication skills probably hurt when it came to things like personnel management and trades, as nobody had any idea what he was trying to do, but **** the media, they deserve nothing.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:20 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
Media is irrelevant to me. I'm happy the Canadiens are more transparent for their fanbase(customers). Granted we don't know everything but Timmins can now share his insight again, shows like 24ch are allowed, etc...

This isn't the basis of hockey though. I hope Marc communicates with his staff and players well, that's what's important to hockey operations!

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:57 AM
peate

24CH wouldn't have even been considered under the old management. Could you imagine the horror show that would 've been. I hardly ever agree with Todd, he's usually just looking for attention, but he's spot on in this article.

peate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:04 AM

You could see last year that the team reflected the personalities of it's GM and coach. Boring , flat , monotone and lifeless.

It's clear that a major culture change was needed and this is one of the things MB and Therrien were/are working hard for and it seems to produce good results so far. I'm not a body language expert but you can see that the players are having more fun this year. They are enthusiastic , energitic and unified on the ice. I know this is easy to say since things are going well and it may change once the team hit a rough spot but right now i really like what i see. I also know a few people here are making fun of having good character and mood in an hockey club but it is important no matter what they say.

131313 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:07 AM
la25ecoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Media is irrelevant to me. I'm happy the Canadiens are more transparent for their fanbase(customers). Granted we don't know everything but Timmins can now share his insight again, shows like 24ch are allowed, etc...

This isn't the basis of hockey though. I hope Marc communicates with his staff and players well, that's what's important to hockey operations!
Ya but wouldn't letting Timmins talk kind of reveals our secrets to other organizations?

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:11 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
Ya but wouldn't letting Timmins talk kind of reveals our secrets to other organizations?
How? He hasn't revealed a thing until we drafted the player.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:43 AM
cphabs
It complels you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
Yes, PG was a soulless automaton. Yes, its lovely that Bergevin has been much more personable and made all the media type's jobs easier. Yes, this is a lovely start to the season.

Lets see what happens when they face some adversity.
I love that word!

cphabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:18 PM
Schwang

Its encouraging seeing Therrien smiling and patting guys on the back. That will go a long way this year.

Regarding Todds comments, yes some bad moves were made, but the injuries were so severe, no one could have coached or managed their way out of that. No team could lose the players we did and compete. I think it was a miracle we didnt draft even higher. I laugh when players and coaches say that injuries are no excuse. When Palusahj, Leblanc are in your top six and Kaberle and Weber top 4, you know you have injury problems!

Schwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:03 PM
S Bah

It's certain this Management team knows their jobs and they all perform to expectations.If any team is scrutinized more than the Habs I'd be amazed,all seems to be right from start to finish.The handling of minor leaguer LL,goes a long way to showing who has the reins in the organization.It's been a long time since the Habs have had a GM that breathes a fresh and confident attitude with every move that he makes.MB's way of letting people know what's expected from them and his ease talking with the media surely gives this poster all the confidence in the world that my Habs are finally in great hands!

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:40 PM
Kriss E

Quote:

And I'm pretty sure that's Molson's doings, not Bergevin's. Don't think Bergevin is the one that came up with the 24ch. Matter of fact, we know it's not him as Molson is filmed during the hiring process.

The more ''open to public'' ways have all to do with Molson, I don't know why this was made to be about Bergevin.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

I can't read Jack Todd, even if he's writing something that I agree with. He's a guy who'll write anything to get his viewer ratings up.

Stjonnypopo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:50 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
How? He hasn't revealed a thing until we drafted the player.
It was becoming increasingly clear that our pick was Gally the way Timmins hinted though.

Him or TT.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:08 PM
FireBergevin

Heh. Usually one would assume Jack Todd isn't qualified to speak on what's 'human'.

FireBergevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:45 PM
Gary320

Jack Todd will **** on the team when their down and put them on the highest pedestal when things are going their way. He is worst than some members here.

I don't know how he still has a job.

Gary320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:06 PM
OneSharpMarble

Ah yes making the "sports writers" happy should be what the team is all about. It is such a shame the team moved away from making them their #1 priority. It is becoming all too obvious where the majority of the hatred of PG is coming from. It amuses me how some fans here talk about how terrible the media is in Montreal and then parrot the same nonsense those very "writers" spew.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:18 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

If I ever tire of the Habs, it won't be because of a lame and boring GM like Gauthier, nor will it be because of a bad team on the ice.

If I ever get tired of the Habs, it will be because of the self-serving media in this town.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote