HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Phil Kessel Discussion Thread. (no goals as of Feb 4, 2013)

View Poll Results: kessel goals, 15 over or under, this year
over 86 51.50%
under 81 48.50%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2013, 05:45 AM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
What I find most confusing about all of this is that PK Supporters make it abundantly clear that with Phil Kessel producing at his absolute career best - the team around him still sucks.

Yet they want to keep this particular player - and neglect improving all of the aforementioned problems. In some instances even going out of their ways to hurt those facets of game that are already considered weaknesses - in a desperate attempt to find players that will help facilitate the continued success of PHIL KESSEL.

Its almost like everything the team requires - is secondary to Phil Kessels stat sheet. The ultimate indicator of FANBOYDOM

We need A goalie
We need A 1C
We need A PWF
We need A Shutdown Defenceman
We need Leadership

Miracle UFA's
Praying that Prospects Far Exceed their Projections
Mortgaging the Future for Temporary Help ...

Are not Tangible ways to Operate any business - let alone a hockey club that has LITERALLY done this exact SAME plan over the last 10 years and have achieved nothing as a result.

What makes this situation worse for me personally - is that its the same cast of characters who on nearly every occassion have been proven wrong. Over and Over again. They supported Wilson until the day he was Fired. They unquestionably still support Brian Burke to this very day. Every year they predict playoffs - and every year they are wrong. It goes on and on. Yet they still come back. To argue the relative merits of Phil Kessel lol History will once again teach them how truly ignorant their unwavering support has been.
Luckily for us the 'other group' is always right. The day they grow up and realize they can be just as wrong as the next person will be the day that people here start taking them seriously. Until then, they just look like immature spoiled brats who can't give any credit at all, who always think the grass is greener, and couldn't have a competent and sensical hockey discussion if their lives depended on it. They are always good for a laugh though.

Old
02-04-2013, 05:48 AM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standardly View Post
read your post once again. A single competent line mate and then you say an incompetent coach. Well, if you feel kessel only had one decent line mate, what was the coach to do?

You guys should probably decide who you want to blame for things. To me it just sounds like excuses. Either the coach was bad, or the players were bad. Not sure how you expect a coach to do a great job when you believe the team as a whole is incompetent. Confusion.
I blame the entire team. That being said, as a business owner myself, when we struggle and service levels are down, sales are down, customer satisfaction is down, I look to make changes. What I don't do is fire the entire staff. Even on bad teams there are great pieces.

Old
02-04-2013, 05:55 AM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
Puck recovery is a term that is foreign to Phil.....blocking shots, being part of the team to help get the puck out of your own zone......you do know that for all of his offense that we still lost a lot of games and he was a minus player.

I have never denied that he is a skilled player.....but he is very limited in what he brings....and I'm not a fan....never have been. I like the players like the song say's " real fast and tough".

He does lead the team in stick checks....
I don't want Phil Kessel blocking shots, I want him taking them. Show me one team where every single player blocks shots on a regular basis and ill show you a liar. If you don't see him coming back and helping out, stealing pucks, pokechecking then perhaps you should take the preconceived notion glasses off and try again. I will try to catch every single instance next game for you.

You may like your players fast and tough, but I like my players like jigsaw puzzle pieces. Each piece is different and together they complete a whole.

Old
02-04-2013, 08:39 AM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Time to blow up the team if they lose tonight.

Phaneuf out, Elisha, you can stay.

Old
02-04-2013, 08:43 AM
dcervi*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post
Time to blow up the team if they lose tonight.

Phaneuf out, Elisha, you can stay.
Nevermind, Phaneuf has been pretty annoying to watch. Him and kessel have been useless so far

Old
02-04-2013, 08:57 AM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodaciousBeefBazooka View Post
Nevermind, Phaneuf has been pretty annoying to watch. Him and kessel have been useless so far
Kessel is moving his legs trying, Dion is back in his I will sit 6 ft from the net and play with my neck looking around at what's going on mode. His I am not a believer on one on one coverage and refuse to pursue mode, his I high and wide mode.

Old
02-04-2013, 09:00 AM
AuGsY

I think dion and kessel just need to pot a couple goals to get there confidence back.

Old
02-04-2013, 09:03 AM
OptimusForever
#teambernier

vCash: 50
I don't want kessel blocking shots either but I'm pretty sure every single player on the NYR blocks shots

Old
02-04-2013, 09:18 AM
The Phil

Ward has been playing like crap, so hopefully Kessel can pot a couple tonight. He's generating chances, even against teams like Boston. Just needs a bit of a lucky break.

Old
02-04-2013, 09:35 AM
Predaleafs

Kessel has the ability not many have and that's taking over a week if not more. He is a pure sniper, who is getting his chances. Give it 2 more games and watch him break out.

Old
02-04-2013, 09:44 AM
AuGsY

hopefully he stops taking all of these crappy outside shots all the time.

Old
02-04-2013, 09:46 AM
BonMorrison
Sexy Back

"...off a stick and out of play."

Old
02-04-2013, 09:47 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusForever View Post
I don't want kessel blocking shots either but I'm pretty sure every single player on the NYR blocks shots
Nash has 1.
Gaborik has 4
Richards has 8

Kessel has 3.

Blocking shots isn't going to make Kessel a better player.

Old
02-04-2013, 09:50 AM
GalacticaActual

Kessel has been underperforming. His effort is great, but how much longer are we going to make excuses for him?

Ugh I just hope he finally gets his first goal.

Old
02-04-2013, 09:56 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticaActual View Post
Kessel has been underperforming. His effort is great, but how much longer are we going to make excuses for him?

Ugh I just hope he finally gets his first goal.
He definitely needs to get going...the effort is there but that's not what he's paid for.

Hopefully tonight is the night he'll pot a few.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:09 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
Luckily for us the 'other group' is always right. The day they grow up and realize they can be just as wrong as the next person will be the day that people here start taking them seriously. Until then, they just look like immature spoiled brats who can't give any credit at all, who always think the grass is greener, and couldn't have a competent and sensical hockey discussion if their lives depended on it. They are always good for a laugh though.
Who exactly are you even talking about?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma

Old
02-04-2013, 10:22 AM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
Kessel is moving his legs trying, Dion is back in his I will sit 6 ft from the net and play with my neck looking around at what's going on mode. His I am not a believer on one on one coverage and refuse to pursue mode, his I high and wide mode.
YES! Am I not the only one seeing this? Kessel looks like he gives a damn, he's hustling, he's creating, he's just snake bitten.

But stupid Phaneuf? This guy stands around the front of the net, and just keeps turning his head on a swivel and telling OTHER guys "hey go cover him, hey puck's over there you go get it". Can this guy ever ****ing hustle, it's like he has stone skates damnit!

Old
02-04-2013, 10:33 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post
YES! Am I not the only one seeing this? Kessel looks like he gives a damn, he's hustling, he's creating, he's just snake bitten.
Gotta respect Kessel for skating as hard and forechecking and still creating out there. The way he's wearing his frustration really shows how competitive he is and how much he wants to contribute. It'll come.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:39 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
If I can say one thing, I don't think it's outrageous to say Phil Kessel doesn't work as hard as he should in the off season. Not to the level you would expect of an elite athlete. And with the talent this guy has, I don't think I can even blame him. But man if he ever figures it out.

Tell me you wouldn't love to see this guy hit the Gary Roberts school of fitness 7 days a week, every day of the off season.
But the thing is Kessel is still flying out there, holding onto the puck with authority and still getting off some great one strike shots that have barely missed. He's missed on a few tap ins and missed a couple of close ones.

This conversation would be very diffferent had that interference call not called back the first goal and had Kessel shot that puck half an inch lower over Rask's shoulder for the 2-1 game winner.

I don't think it's much of a stretch to say people resort to some lazy stereotypes when they talk about Phil Kessel being out of shape. His timing seems to be off but he's still skating like the wind and taking the body more. Sometimes I think people criticize him for his conditioning just because he has the face of a relief pitcher.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:03 AM
CanadasTeam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
But the thing is Kessel is still flying out there, holding onto the puck with authority and still getting off some great one strike shots that have barely missed. He's missed on a few tap ins and missed a couple of close ones.

This conversation would be very diffferent had that interference call not called back the first goal and had Kessel shot that puck half an inch lower over Rask's shoulder for the 2-1 game winner.

I don't think it's much of a stretch to say people resort to some lazy stereotypes when they talk about Phil Kessel being out of shape. His timing seems to be off but he's still skating like the wind and taking the body more. Sometimes I think people criticize him for his conditioning just because he has the face of a relief pitcher.
+1.

Wholeheartedly agree. Good post.

02-04-2013, 11:10 AM
MakeTheIronSing

If there was (or is?) some sort of quality scoring chances statistic, kessel's would be quite high I would imagine.

I watched the flames blackhawks game on saturday, and I saw the same thing out of Glencross. He must of had 10 chances in 1 period, but just couldn't make that mm difference between a goal, and a lucky save.

His eyes and mind are there. I think early on in the season, thats more important than just his hands being there.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:16 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuGsY View Post
hopefully he stops taking all of these crappy outside shots all the time.
Kessel is by nature a perimeter player because he attempts to avoid contact regularly, so seeing and attempting long range outside shots are not going to change any time soon.

However to his credit he has a dynamic wrist shot which can fool some goalies even when shooting from those usually low percentage areas.

However live by the sword, die by the sword and so consistency and streaky hot/cold stretches should often be expected, as throughout his career this has been the case, where he scores in bunches or nothing at all.

02-04-2013, 11:23 AM
number72

I think the book is out of kessel. The defenders and goalies know he rarely drives the net and so now they are not fooled by his perimeter shots.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:24 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post

Not sure what all the Kessel hate is about myself..Okay he isnt scoring but if you watch the games he is by far the most dangerous forward the Leafs have. He creates a lot of chances...Phaneuf on the other hand is playing like he is overpaid by about 5M season.

Its getting old watching the Phaneuf act....I hope he doesnt get extended. Seen enough.

Old
02-04-2013, 12:38 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
I think the book is out of kessel. The defenders and goalies know he rarely drives the net and so now they are not fooled by his perimeter shots.
7 years later and they finally figure him out eh?

Closed Thread