HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part VII

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2013, 11:24 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Nope, when the DB grabbed Crabtree and didn't let go until he fell. Since the ball was in the air, his holding became interference. You're right, though, Crabtree did push him to get him the hell off.
There was certainly contact initiated by both players, and yes there was some holding on the part of the DB. I don't find them play or non-call all that controversial, for three reasons: 1) I don't feel any of the contact was egregious - refs had let some contact go in the passing game throughout; 2) at that late stage of the game, there is an expectation of "whistle-swallowing," well established in past practice (I am not sure I agree with that philosophy, but I also think back to a certain "too many men" penalty); 3) just one call among many throughout a game that, despite some fans' outcry, tend to find a neutral level - I get Ravens-haters (hell, I am one) desire for a different outcome, and thus a predisposition to look for a conspiracy, but I just don't see it.

Old
02-04-2013, 12:34 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
There was certainly contact initiated by both players, and yes there was some holding on the part of the DB. I don't find them play or non-call all that controversial, for three reasons: 1) I don't feel any of the contact was egregious - refs had let some contact go in the passing game throughout; 2) at that late stage of the game, there is an expectation of "whistle-swallowing," well established in past practice (I am not sure I agree with that philosophy, but I also think back to a certain "too many men" penalty); 3) just one call among many throughout a game that, despite some fans' outcry, tend to find a neutral level - I get Ravens-haters (hell, I am one) desire for a different outcome, and thus a predisposition to look for a conspiracy, but I just don't see it.
No serious dispute with any of that. Not espousing a conspiracy, just the usual difficulty/incompetence of officiating everywhere. Yes, I hate the Ravens and wanted them to lose, but I might have been even more in favor of the storybook ending a completion on that last Niners drive might have made. In any case, it was a pretty good game and controversy often accompanies big games like that.

Old
02-04-2013, 12:42 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
No serious dispute with any of that. Not espousing a conspiracy, just the usual difficulty/incompetence of officiating everywhere. Yes, I hate the Ravens and wanted them to lose, but I might have been even more in favor of the storybook ending a completion on that last Niners drive might have made. In any case, it was a pretty good game and controversy often accompanies big games like that.
Did not mean to suggest you were calling conspiracy, just acknowledging it's out there.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:55 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
It may be 12 years old, but this is still quality.

http://beta.milkandcookies.com/link/122795
Gold, pure gold!

Old
02-06-2013, 05:41 PM
EspenK

Hopefully the Jackets draft will be as bountiful as the Bucks' appears to be.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:17 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Great: a punter flip flop became a headline.
Greater: mother steals a kids LOI, so he cannot commit to a school that she doesn't approve of.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:24 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Former Columbus Crew player Robbie Rogers comes out, retires.
Best of luck.

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/u...-soccer-021513

Old
02-15-2013, 02:40 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
Best of luck.

...wow. Yeah, good luck to him.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
02-15-2013, 06:22 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
Best of luck.

I understand the locker room culture, but I really don't get what all the fuss is about. I've thought he was gay for years. No big whoop!

Old
02-15-2013, 07:49 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
I understand the locker room culture, but I really don't get what all the fuss is about. I've thought he was gay for years. No big whoop!
I honestly think that, at this point, the number of players who would make an issue out of having a gay teammate is a substantial minority. You'd think that the almost universal backlash against various people who have made anti-gay statement in the last few years would bear this out.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:59 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I honestly think that, at this point, the number of players who would make an issue out of having a gay teammate is a substantial minority. You'd think that the almost universal backlash against various people who have made anti-gay statement in the last few years would bear this out.
I suspect that right now the pressure is moving on from "overt rejection" to "subtle discomfort and stereotyping". To see a recent example of how that can work out, observe Evander Kane.

Old
02-15-2013, 08:21 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I suspect that right now the pressure is moving on from "overt rejection" to "subtle discomfort and stereotyping". To see a recent example of how that can work out, observe Evander Kane.
That depends on your perspective with Kane. Personally, I think there's an awful lot of tall poppy syndrome in Winnipeg toward Kane; whether that's racially-motivated or not isn't something I care to get into.

For what it's worth, Vince Lombardi once had a gay player with the Packers. Lombardi informed the coaching staff behind closed doors, and basically said, "If any of you make so much as a veiled comment about this, your ass will be out the door before his is." There have been gay players in other sports who came out later, and it's funny to note that most of their teammates were aware (during their careers) that it was most likely the case.

I also think that any player who has a serious issue with a gay teammate would quickly be branded as a "locker room cancer", and I can't imagine any GM would rather keep someone unpopular with teammates over a better player who happens to do things differently behind closed doors.

Old
03-06-2013, 06:54 AM
EspenK

Nice article about DJ Cooper of the Bobcats

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspor...n-done-before/

Old
03-08-2013, 05:33 PM
BlueJacket2

I am moving to Auburn Washington (suburb of Seattle) at the end of October. Just want to see if we have any a-cert's on here? I will be jumping the NYG again before I go.

I am in the 1:08 mark as well as others, but this was my craziest ever.

Can't get it to work. http://youtu.be/0Q4zVVu6euU

Old
03-09-2013, 12:12 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJacket2 View Post
I am moving to Auburn Washington (suburb of Seattle) at the end of October. Just want to see if we have any a-cert's on here? I will be jumping the NYG again before I go.
I live in Spokane. Washington is either a lovely place or a completely horrible place to live, depending on how much you like huntin', fishin', and/or any other outdoor activity. Oh, and there is plenty of open space everywhere that isn't King County.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:03 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Notre Dame upsets Marquette in the Big East tournament due to Neon Green power.

The Blue Jackets? Stuck with the crappy thirds that can only power us to shootout losses.

Do the right thing Davidson.

03-15-2013, 04:41 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Notre Dame upsets Marquette in the Big East tournament due to Neon Green power.

The Blue Jackets? Stuck with the crappy thirds that can only power us to shootout losses.

Do the right thing Davidson.
It's what Mr. Mac would have wanted.

Old
03-16-2013, 05:50 PM
EspenK

Aaron Craft is one of my all time favorite Buckeye basketball players.

Closed Thread