HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

I have watched the NHL for 37 years

Old
02-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Corey Perry*

vCash: 500
I have watched the NHL for 9 years.

Corey Perry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:22 AM
MTrangers

The worst part about this is the idea about calling more penalties is opening up the game and creating more offense. The problem is, when you call goalie interference, especially when it's the wrong call, you are DIRECTLY taking away goals. So now there is less scoring and players might think twice when screening or waiting on the doorstep.

MTrangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:07 AM
MoobMoob
EntertainingasanSTD

From where I'm sitting it seems to have been on the decline the last 2-3 years. The officials seem confused as to what is an isn't a penalty and just call things at random until corrected. I can't count the number of games I've seen where the first period everything is being called, second period nothing gets called and in the third once again everything gets called. With "everything" including phantom calls. It would be nice if all of the professional sports refs were their own organization. Unfortunately, everything is business so no hope for unbiased arbitration.

MoobMoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:07 AM
Mister Hockey

I sarted going to games the last year of the Pittsburgh Hornets.

Their are only two Ref's I ever thought were good every game Art Skov and Peter Moffet.

I thought when added anonther Ref it would get better.

Mister Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:34 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Whenever I see Tim Peel, Chris Lee, and Don Van Massenhoven's names as refs for a game, I just shake my head and prepare for the worst.

With the way the officiating has been this year I'm just glad Stéphane Auger retired/got fired after last year.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:05 AM
Christina Woloski
Registered Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
What I noticed more then the officiating was how the teams are getting closer to parity. Last year the bruins beat the leafs 6-0 and this year is was only 1-0. The bruins are on the decline and blaming officiating for that decline doesn't pass the reasonaibility test
Wow... reading comprehension at it's best.

He stated clearly that he has noticed this from watching other games.

I completely agree with the OP. I'm currently taking time off work and watch two games of hockey a day, regardless of if it's my team or not.

The officiating has taken a weird nosedive. I know they made changes to penalties this year but wow.. there's some completely inconsistent and logicless stuff happen.

I strong believe they should get the refs off the ice, put two-four of them upstairs watching monitors and have only linesmen on the ice.

Get the whole 'calling Toronto' video review out. If the refs themselves could watch the replay, they'll correct themselves.

There's too much interpretation and subjectivity in reffing in the NHL. It's trash and the worst aspect of the sport.

Christina Woloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:12 AM
Christina Woloski
Registered Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZZIE King View Post
40 year Kings fan (as of today)...but despite what that lying piece of plastic in my wallet says...I'm STILL 39...

I've noticed that since the two ref system took place...the good calls have taken a major nosedive... It's like you're having two different games called and one or BOTH refs are having a horrible game as a result...causing both teams to lose steam because the flow is not there anymore...

I'd rather see the one ref system go back in place due to the fact that the games flowed much smoother and you knew how that ref will call a game... In this you know which ones want to see the players play and clamp down on the worst offenses on the ice and which ones want to place themselves more important than the game (Fraser/McGeough/Marouelli)... You know which ones had control over a game (Stewart/ Hoggarth/Schick) and those which never had it (McGeough/Morel/Marouelli)...

I agree with this too. Consistency in each game is lost. Before there was some games wide open and others things were called tighter and it varied, but you'd have a sense for the types of calls after the first ten minutes or first period. Now it's bi-polar.

I say take the second ref, put him upstairs with a monitor and an earpiece to the ref on the ground. He can call back bad calls with a on the spot review and make his own as well!

Christina Woloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:54 AM
take a peek

Phantom calls all over the place and totally obvious ones missed. It is totally screwy.

Also linesman absolutely loving the throw the guy out of the faceoff routine.

But hey they are really getting that playing the puck with your hand call correct.

take a peek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:33 AM
Uber Coca

It's been brutal this year. I've never seen so much phantom and weak calls during the Habs games, for and against the Habs.

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:37 AM
MsWoof

I agree with the OP, the calls have been horrendous. I figured early on it was due to no pre-season games but they should be up to speed by now.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:57 AM
Roomtemperature

vCash: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semantics View Post
Every year this exact post appears around the 10 game mark. Every single year. Just stop. The reffing has been "awful" this year, last year, and every other year in the history of the league and it's been "getting worse" since the dawn of time.
Yep I bet you I could go back through the years of HF and find a refs are worse then ever topic that gets some steam going.

My brother works for the NBA so he watches alot of basketball. I asked him as someone who rather not watch alot of NBA are the refs are bad as everyone complains about (he also doesn't root for a team so he's unbiased) he goes no. Its just everyone complains about the bad calls and games but never talk about good games or alot of good calls they have.

Roomtemperature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:12 AM
Jakomyte

The two games I watched this weekend were Leafs/Bruins (Sat) and Habs/Sens (Sun). In those two games, there were 3 goals that were called off for 'goalie interference' that made no sense at all to me. The total number of goals scored in those games was 4, so 3 additional goals not being allowed is a big deal, especially when its for a player's jersey brushing up lightly against a goalie that is out of his crease.

Funny thing is, I'm a Habs fan. The two no-calls in Leafs/Bruins probably pissed off my two most hated rivals, and the no-call against the Sens let the Habs win in regulation. Despite this, I still think all 3 calls were ridiculous.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:18 AM
Dado

vCash:
This thread gets made every season. I don't see anything different out there than I've seen all the other years. It's always been a game missed/blown calls and inconsistent standards, IMO.

Old
02-04-2013, 09:49 AM
Off Sides

vCash: 1217
Seems like if the NHL wanted better officiating, they'd take some steps towards achieving that goal. Start small, admit the refs make mistakes and allow for some mechanism to rescind a really bad call.

Off Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:53 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

Only problem I have is that goalie interference needs to become reviewable.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:38 AM
nanuuq
HFBoards Sponsor

680 soccer games "fixed" by world wide organized crime

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21319807

just sayin...

02-04-2013, 10:39 AM
nanuuq
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBandwagonerNo272 View Post
Only problem I have is that goalie interference needs to become reviewable.
It looks like it should now that there have been soo many questionable calls this year..

nanuuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:41 AM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanuuq View Post
680 soccer games "fixed" by world wide organized crime
$10M in profits over ~700 games is...Pinky & the Brain money.

Small-timers...

Old
02-04-2013, 10:41 AM
nanuuq
HFBoards Sponsor

its time for the NHL to get into the modern world and have video replay available at the penalty box for the ref to review.

nanuuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:51 AM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
A protracted season makes every game count for more, which makes every bad call count for more. There are fewer games for the screw-ups to hide.

Also, there were some subtle rule changes that players and refs are still unsure about.

But yeah, on the face of it, I've also noticed a lot of suspect penalties, goals that should've been, etc...

PS: I see your 37 years and raise you a 42. Nice to see some guys in my age bracket around here! Stick around.
OP is right.

There's no rhyme nor reason to a number of calls.

And my first season of watching hockey regularly was 1965-66, when Henri Richard slid into Roger Crozier and scored the Cup winning goal in OT.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:54 AM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
OP is right.

There's no rhyme nor reason to a number of calls.
I'm also in the 40+ years category, and I can't ever recall a time when it was otherwise. Eg, there have been refs who "clearly hated" the Canucks from my earliest memories of the team, right through Auger and the present.

Old
02-04-2013, 12:34 PM
xerox
Hockey pimp

It's pretty obvious that they are trying to 'pussify' the game to the point where no player is allowed to make contact with any other player. It's been going on for about 20 years they take small steps at the time.

xerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:50 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
This thread gets made every season. I don't see anything different out there than I've seen all the other years. It's always been a game missed/blown calls and inconsistent standards, IMO.
This is what I've been thinking as I've read the entire thread. People just want to vent their silly horror stories about reffing I guess, but it really is no different than every other year.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:55 PM
Goom 35

As some have mentioned, video replay for the refs at ice level is a great idea. Unfortunately, I think the whole war room in Toronto thing exits partly to sheild the refs from the heat of having to admit they made mistakes down on the ice in front of all the teams/fans.

I mean, would you like having to announce every time you made a mistake at work on a loud speaker?

Also, I thought the officiating had come back up a tad last season but yeah, this season it's been AWFUL.

Goom 35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:03 PM
KA BLAMO

vCash: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Whenever I see Tim Peel, Chris Lee, and Don Van Massenhoven's names as refs for a game, I just shake my head and prepare for the worst.

With the way the officiating has been this year I'm just glad Stéphane Auger retired/got fired after last year.
I shudder when I hear those names.

KA BLAMO is offline   Reply With Quote