*OFFICIAL* Mississauga Steelheads 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2013, 10:36 AM
Luvtowatch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
How has Welsh looked lately now thqat he has had time to settle in?
He can hit but don't love the rest.

Old
01-18-2013, 11:10 AM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
How has Welsh looked lately now that he has had time to settle in?
I think that you have to wait until next year, he joined the team when everyone was starting to get into form. From what I've seen he plays well positionally, and very physical. His speed needs improvement but I expect it to come. In terms of offense, joining the rush and such will have a big improvement once his skating sets in.

Regardless of this team losing, they have pretty much solidified a playoff spot from the first half. I think any team playing Mississauga in the playoffs is going to have a rough time, their defense is tightening up and with good goaltending its going to be many two/ one goal games.

Old
01-18-2013, 11:42 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
I think that you have to wait until next year, he joined the team when everyone was starting to get into form. From what I've seen he plays well positionally, and very physical. His speed needs improvement but I expect it to come. In terms of offense, joining the rush and such will have a big improvement once his skating sets in.

Regardless of this team losing, they have pretty much solidified a playoff spot from the first half. I think any team playing Mississauga in the playoffs is going to have a rough time, their defense is tightening up and with good goaltending its going to be many two/ one goal games.
I agree with your post but it would have been really nice to pick up another scorer or two. Didn't have to be Trocheck.

Old
01-18-2013, 11:59 AM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
I agree with your post but it would have been really nice to pick up another scorer or two. Didn't have to be Trocheck.
I 100% agree with you. Standing pat on the deadline was a mistake IMO. All the teams are keying in on their one line because its the only one that scores. This is making it more difficult as the top line is going against all the other teams top guns. Secondary scoring and being successful on the powerplay is going to be key for this team to be successful.

Old
01-18-2013, 01:23 PM
Torts

Quote:
Not even a scorer, look what teams gave up for guys like Giftopolous, Menard and Wigle. I argue that all 3 would be top 6 forwards on the Steelheads. Not a whole lot was given up for those guys.

Old
01-21-2013, 05:50 AM
superspitfan99

Quote:
I 100% agree with you. Standing pat on the deadline was a mistake IMO. All the teams are keying in on their one line because its the only one that scores. This is making it more difficult as the top line is going against all the other teams top guns. Secondary scoring and being successful on the powerplay is going to be key for this team to be successful.
Yes, huge mistake not finding another scorer or doing something at deadline. Hottot seems to be a waste of a trade. Looks slow and somewhat lazy. Not helping that two top D are out with injury either.

Kerr said in an article at the beginning of the season he was there to make money and he won't do that if he doesn't get the bodies in the seats. People aren't going to come to watch a team that continually loses. Will he make a change?

Old
01-21-2013, 09:54 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelheads101 View Post
Yes, huge mistake not finding another scorer or doing something at deadline. Hottot seems to be a waste of a trade. Looks slow and somewhat lazy. Not helping that two top D are out with injury either.

Kerr said in an article at the beginning of the season he was there to make money and he won't do that if he doesn't get the bodies in the seats. People aren't going to come to watch a team that continually loses. Will he make a change?
Hottot- 10g 0pts -8 plus/minus. Lots of bad penalties. So far not so good.

Last edited by Luvtowatch: 01-21-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old
01-21-2013, 12:22 PM
mcreferee

Quote:

Rumour has it that Kerr's intention, although not stated and denied by his front office staff, is to suffer and endure in Mississauga until the point where paying out the lease becomes viable, at which point he will move the team. He has said publicly that he will give it three years to make a go of it. I think that speaks volumes. After three seasons, if the team is not making money, it would appear he will pay out what is left on the lease and move the club elsewhere. It should be clear by now, including to Kerr, that the club will never be financially viable in Mississauga. If his intention is to "make money", he will have to do it elsewhere.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:44 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcreferee View Post
Rumour has it that Kerr's intention, although not stated and denied by his front office staff, is to suffer and endure in Mississauga until the point where paying out the lease becomes viable, at which point he will move the team. He has said publicly that he will give it three years to make a go of it. I think that speaks volumes. After three seasons, if the team is not making money, it would appear he will pay out what is left on the lease and move the club elsewhere. It should be clear by now, including to Kerr, that the club will never be financially viable in Mississauga. If his intention is to "make money", he will have to do it elsewhere.
If the team doesn't make money in three years Kerr's out. I don't think he will invest money to move the team, they will just have to find a new owner.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:20 PM
superspitfan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcreferee View Post
Based on an article I read, yes, he is giving a 3 year go of it. Will he move it or sell it, who knows. I guess my questions is more will he continue with James Boyd for those 3 years of suffering. As GM he has done nothing this year with the exception of adding Smoskowitz. And I'm not so sure he's got what it takes to coach these guys out of the hole their currently in.

Old
01-21-2013, 04:42 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Based on an article I read, yes, he is giving a 3 year go of it. Will he move it or sell it, who knows. I guess my questions is more will he continue with James Boyd for those 3 years of suffering. As GM he has done nothing this year with the exception of adding Smoskowitz. And I'm not so sure he's got what it takes to coach these guys out of the hole their currently in.
You have to look at it from both standpoints. This team wasn't left with many assets. The reason I don't think he sold Percy, is because the East is weak and he is also a selling point attendance wise. You have all those cardboard Percy figures at minor hockey arenas all other Mississauga. Also with the flux of uncertainty, its was fairly difficult to make a move. Also by not trading his veteran guys, it comes down to the younger players and to be honest they are not worth much on the market. The only considerable piece that they could've gotten a decent return is by trading Burnside, Martin, Carrick or Bourne and Mississauga isn't interested in doing that. So if you don't trade them or your veterans you are pretty much at a stand still. Also you don't want to trade picks because your prospect cupboard is fairly empty. It doesn't help with guys like Walsh signing in the NCAA and possibly Berton being on his way as well. This team has a lot of work to do.

Last edited by NHL Fanatic: 01-26-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old
01-21-2013, 04:48 PM
NHL Fanatic

If you are thinking about the future Carrick, Martin, Bourne, Burnside and possibly Welsh would be considered their untouchables but if by any chance Percy and Demelo come back next year, they are as good as gone. Smoskowitz may be traded as well depending on how the team is doing.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:45 PM
superspitfan99

It's going to be a long second half of the season for this team unless they get something going on the front end!

Old
01-27-2013, 10:47 AM
Torts

a great 1st period against Sarnia led to 2 points, couldnt make the Saginaw game but from what I saw on TV Steelheads never had a chance (didn't play with any urgency or jump).

Today SHOULD be 2 points but you never know. Monahan could outscore us single handed. Hoping for a good sunday afternoon game.

Old
01-28-2013, 06:45 AM
superspitfan99

Anyone else think that the Mississauga TV commentator should work on his sports cast. After all this time, he still gets the guys names wrong and does he know that there are 5 other guys on the ice and a total 19 on the bench....Spencer Martin is not the only guy out there. Nothing against Spencer, but whoever this guy is sounds like a broken record. Maybe he should learn a bit about all the players so he has a bit more for filler.

Last edited by superspitfan99: 01-28-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old
01-29-2013, 08:49 PM
Nerf27

Rink Question

Hey guys question. Coming Friday for my first game at the Hershey. Is there parking and any recommendations for dinner before the game would be great. Thx

Old
01-30-2013, 08:39 PM
superspitfan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerf27 View Post
Hey guys question. Coming Friday for my first game at the Hershey. Is there parking and any recommendations for dinner before the game would be great. Thx
Lots of free parking. Eddie's Wok and Roll on Erin Mills Parkway near Brittania is one of my favorits, but if you want something fast and closer, the Fire Pit isn't bad.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:09 PM
Nerf27

Quote:
Lots of free parking. Eddie's Wok and Roll on Erin Mills Parkway near Brittania is one of my favorits, but if you want something fast and closer, the Fire Pit isn't bad.
Thanks very much

Old
01-31-2013, 08:17 PM
wikiwikiwiki

The rough and tough Mississauga system doesn't exist anymore. I don't know what you can blame it on...new ownership?

Old
01-31-2013, 11:12 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikiwiki View Post
The rough and tough Mississauga system doesn't exist anymore. I don't know what you can blame it on...new ownership?
Blame it on the Memorial Cup. This team isn't London, they can't turnover good players over such a quick time frame. They have no 94's on the team during that year which screwed them. Right now they are slated to pick within the 5-10 range for the draft. They need to upgrade at every position. It's going to be interesting, they may need a new change in system next season.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:47 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Blame it on the Memorial Cup. This team isn't London, they can't turnover good players over such a quick time frame. They have no 94's on the team during that year which screwed them. Right now they are slated to pick within the 5-10 range for the draft. They need to upgrade at every position. It's going to be interesting, they may need a new change in system next season.
Don't have any high end 94's or 95's. Teskey is a constant HS and you could have had a skater instead of Martin. Older goalies can always be picked up.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:38 PM
Torts

Quote:
Don't have any high end 94's or 95's. Teskey is a constant HS and you could have had a skater instead of Martin. Older goalies can always be picked up.
Im not gunna judge the pick of Martin, he's been one of the franchises best goalies since ive started watching. Teskey on the other hand, well sometimes picks just dont pan out unfortunately. Who knows maybe next year he finally puts it all together.

As for next year the core that "should" lead the team will be Carrick, Burnside, Martin, MacIntyre (whose been great of late), Bourne and Smoskowitz. Could be worse but maybe Boyd or whoever the GM is in the summer makes some moves.

Old
02-03-2013, 09:15 PM
superspitfan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
Im not gunna judge the pick of Martin, he's been one of the franchises best goalies since ive started watching. Teskey on the other hand, well sometimes picks just dont pan out unfortunately. Who knows maybe next year he finally puts it all together.

As for next year the core that "should" lead the team will be Carrick, Burnside, Martin, MacIntyre (whose been great of late), Bourne and Smoskowitz. Could be worse but maybe Boyd or whoever the GM is in the summer makes some moves.
This is where coaching is imperative. If the system isn't woking, which it obviously isn't then maybe it should change. Wether Boyd put trades in place for this year or setting up for next he should have done something. He's failing as both GM and coach IMO.

As for your assessment of leaders here's my take.
Carrick - great offensively at the blue line but defensively he's getting beat and needs to be a bit more responsible.
Burnside - he's burning out. You can see it in his play lately so hopefully he'll be one year older and wiser for next year.
Martin - he's playing we'll but needs to work on his rebounding.
MacIntyre - he needs some time and experience before he becomes a leader.
Bourne - I'm just not seeing anything great coming from him. Maybe he needs time too but I'm not so sure he will be ready next year either.
ADD:
Cobbald -he should be added to that list. He's a hard working player who gives 100% every shift.
Diodati - he's got more in his cupboard than we see IMO.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:55 AM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
This is where coaching is imperative. If the system isn't woking, which it obviously isn't then maybe it should change. Wether Boyd put trades in place for this year or setting up for next he should have done something. He's failing as both GM and coach IMO.

As for your assessment of leaders here's my take.
Carrick - great offensively at the blue line but defensively he's getting beat and needs to be a bit more responsible.
Burnside - he's burning out. You can see it in his play lately so hopefully he'll be one year older and wiser for next year.
Martin - he's playing we'll but needs to work on his rebounding.
MacIntyre - he needs some time and experience before he becomes a leader.
Bourne - I'm just not seeing anything great coming from him. Maybe he needs time too but I'm not so sure he will be ready next year either.
ADD:
Cobbald -he should be added to that list. He's a hard working player who gives 100% every shift.
Diodati - he's got more in his cupboard than we see IMO.
You have to remember Burnside is still a rookie. Not many players come in and play lst line, 1st PK and PP in their rookie year. James was playing him too much minutes IMO and its starting to have its effects. He needs to get stronger over the summer so he can be more effective in the offensive zone.

Bourne has a bright future. I feel that his skating is the only thing that is holding him back.

Martin has played alright. His potential is there. My one question for him is if he may need surgery at the end of the year. If so he's battling hard and still not letting that affect his game which is good on him. Broken record but his rebound control is not there yet. Inconsistency is common in young goaltenders but his future is bright.

MacIntyre has played very well as of late, very good speed and playing smart. He needs to get a little stronger to help with his defensive play but overall he's been solid the last couple weeks.

Really like how Smoskowitz, Brace line were playing at the beginning of the year, but now if feels as if Smosk is trying to hard to score. Teams are reading him so easily because he would come down along the wing and cut across the middle flicking the puck to himself. If this line wants to be as effective as they were earlier on in the year they need to move the puck and they haven't been.

A bit of a broken record but this team has no secondary scoring and other guys need to step up. Smoskowitz is being a little selfish but you can't blame him he scores most of this team's goals.

Sometimes I feel bad for James because he doesn't have the talent pool other teams do. He tries shuffling lines and nothing seems to work, the scouts need to help him recoup talent in this years draft and the future ones.

Old
02-05-2013, 05:15 PM
Torts

Quote:
You have to remember Burnside is still a rookie. Not many players come in and play lst line, 1st PK and PP in their rookie year. James was playing him too much minutes IMO and its starting to have its effects. He needs to get stronger over the summer so he can be more effective in the offensive zone.

Bourne has a bright future. I feel that his skating is the only thing that is holding him back.

Martin has played alright. His potential is there. My one question for him is if he may need surgery at the end of the year. If so he's battling hard and still not letting that affect his game which is good on him. Broken record but his rebound control is not there yet. Inconsistency is common in young goaltenders but his future is bright.

MacIntyre has played very well as of late, very good speed and playing smart. He needs to get a little stronger to help with his defensive play but overall he's been solid the last couple weeks.

Really like how Smoskowitz, Brace line were playing at the beginning of the year, but now if feels as if Smosk is trying to hard to score. Teams are reading him so easily because he would come down along the wing and cut across the middle flicking the puck to himself. If this line wants to be as effective as they were earlier on in the year they need to move the puck and they haven't been.

A bit of a broken record but this team has no secondary scoring and other guys need to step up. Smoskowitz is being a little selfish but you can't blame him he scores most of this team's goals.

Sometimes I feel bad for James because he doesn't have the talent pool other teams do. He tries shuffling lines and nothing seems to work, the scouts need to help him recoup talent in this years draft and the future ones.
im just gunna nit pick on a couple of things,

over the span of the season i think bournes skating has improved.

also i know boyd dosnt have the talent pool, but as the gm it is his duty to acquire the talent pool, which he hasnt.

to me i say he has failed on being both a coach and a GM. gm for the reason i listed above and coach for the fact of not properly utilizing his players. examples include keeping smosky on the bench for kontos on a 6 v 3 (2 man plus empty net) and not using guys like bourne in front of the net on the powerplay.

just my opinion

Closed Thread