HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Different Reffing Standards for Playoffs vs Regular Season?

Old
02-04-2013, 12:08 AM
illpucks

vCash: 500
Different Reffing Standards for Playoffs vs Regular Season?

I was watching the superbowl today and there was a blatent pass-interference on the 49ers in the endzone that the refs didn't call, which arguably cost them the win.

In hockey, it would be the equivalent to game 7 in the playoffs where a player is hauled down on a breakaway but the refs looking the other way.

The interesting thing is the announcer said that it would have been called in the regular season but there are different standards for calls in the playoffs.

Do you think this is true for the NHL as well or not?

illpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:09 AM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 50
I think it's no secret that the playoffs are almost always reffed differently.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:13 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

The playoffs are called more loosely. You can get away with more.

Hackett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:34 AM
Smokey McCanucks

Give me a break, that was about 1/3 offensive PI, 1/3 defensive PI and 1/3 no PI at all. Best thing to do is keep that flag in your pocket on that play, it was totally even.

Smokey McCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:37 AM
Phu

As far as I've seen the change in NFL officiating is nowhere NEAR the change in NHL officiating.

Playoff NHL hockey is literally a different game, and not really in a good way. Skill tends to get negated by a looser call standard.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:34 AM
MoobMoob
EntertainingasanSTD

I don't think there's a different standard in how things are called in the POs as much as it is that more non-calls are scrutinized. I don't watch football at all so I can't comment on the NFL but when it comes to the NHL 90% of the time the officiating looks almost identical from POs to regular season, it's just that PO officiating is under a microscope.

MoobMoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:26 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAstronaut View Post
I think it's no secret that the playoffs are almost always reffed differently.
And, based on this regular season in particular, here's hoping that trend continues.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:42 AM
moolah3i4
Long Live The Note.

Yes that was sad, I couldn't believe they didn't call a penalty. #SMH

moolah3i4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:55 AM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
And, based on this regular season in particular, here's hoping that trend continues.
Isn't that the truth.

The amount of debate, disagreement, and venom spewed between fan bases on HF is always something to behold. We rarely agree on anything.

So when we all find common ground, you know something has to be clear as a bell and undeniably true. NHL reffing so far this season has been poor, baffling, indecipherable, inconsistent......pick your favorite.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Schalkenullvier*

Well, at least statistically, there is no difference in PP opportunities in the playoffs compared to the regular season.

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:40 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier View Post
Well, at least statistically, there is no difference in PP opportunities in the playoffs compared to the regular season.
I would argue that most players ride the line of holding/slashing ect in terms of whether what they're doing is a penalty or not. If the refs let more go, players will commit worse infractions thinking they can get away with it. Just my opinion though

LPH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:51 AM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

NFL doesn't want their league to look silly by having the refs throwing a bunch of flags during the Superbowl. If I'm not mistaken, Belichick took advantage of this one year and the Patriots were committing little penalties like holding all game long without getting called for it.

Chris Hansen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:24 AM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

Quote:
Originally Posted by illpucks View Post
I was watching the superbowl today and there was a blatent pass-interference on the 49ers in the endzone that the refs didn't call, which arguably cost them the win.

In hockey, it would be the equivalent to game 7 in the playoffs where a player is hauled down on a breakaway but the refs looking the other way.

The interesting thing is the announcer said that it would have been called in the regular season but there are different standards for calls in the playoffs.

Do you think this is true for the NHL as well or not?

IT was not a "blatant" pass interference call.

I'm a football fan first, hockey fan 1A. I had zero rooting interest in the game because my team was not playing and neither team is a rival of my team and I had no money on the game.

Jimmy Smith made contact in the 5 yard "allowable" zone. Then the corner (Jimmy Smith) and receiver (Michael Crabtree) hand fight. Yes, Jimmy Smith did have an arm wrapped around Crabtree's waste BUT Michael Crabtree is CLEARLY pushing off (which is offensive pass interference).

You could have thrown a flag on Crabtree for pass interference.

You could have thrown a flag on Jimmy Smith for defensive holding.

The correct call would have been offsetting penalties and replay 4th down.

It was a good no call.

On topic: The officiating has always changed in the playoffs. It's been that way since the dawn of time.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:41 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by illpucks View Post

where's the thread for Akers blatant dive to draw a roughing the kicker penalty? He was not touched - he just fell on the Raven player that was at his feet.

Now THAT was a total dive. ... and it got the 49ers 3 points on their 2nd attempt.

End zone play? like ut said, it was a good non-call.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:45 AM
danmcn12
Radioactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifiedtheory View Post

I'm a football fan first, hockey fan 1A. I had zero rooting interest in the game because my team was not playing and neither team is a rival of my team and I had no money on the game.

Jimmy Smith made contact in the 5 yard "allowable" zone. Then the corner (Jimmy Smith) and receiver (Michael Crabtree) hand fight. Yes, Jimmy Smith did have an arm wrapped around Crabtree's waste BUT Michael Crabtree is CLEARLY pushing off (which is offensive pass interference).

It was a good no call.

On topic: The officiating has always changed in the playoffs. It's been that way since the dawn of time.
He wasn't pushing off he was struggling to break from a hold...

danmcn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:48 AM
MastuhNinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmcn12 View Post
He wasn't pushing off he was struggling to break from a hold...
Yeah there's a big difference there. That's not pushing off.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:49 AM
LeftCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifiedtheory View Post

It was a good no call.

He still had his arms around Crabtree 3 yards deep in the endzone. The play started on the 5yd line, so yes blatant hold. Any push off by Crabtree was just to free himself from the holding.

But blame the play calling.

First and goal on the 7, with Frank Gore and Collin Kaepernick in the backfield and you call 3 pass plays. It's inconceivable that Frank Gore wouldn't get 7 yards on 4 trys.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:51 AM
Reign Nateo

Look no further than the 2010 season/playoffs. It was called very tight that year, even into the first round or two of the playoffs. But by the time the Bruins and Canucks met in the Finals, it was prison rules.

Obviously the same in football, that was a pretty blatant pass interference call, but when the stakes get high, it's hard for a ref to pull out his flag.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:00 PM
HugginThePost

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
He still had his arms around Crabtree 3 yards deep in the endzone. The play started on the 5yd line, so yes blatant hold. Any push off by Crabtree was just to free himself from the holding.
But blame the play calling.

First and goal on the 7, with Frank Gore and Collin Kaepernick in the backfield and you call 3 pass plays. It's inconceivable that Frank Gore wouldn't get 7 yards on 4 trys.
Exactly.....totally blown call. And no....I have no horse in this race. My Bronco's crapped the bed.

Terrible no-call.

HugginThePost is offline   Reply With Quote