HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

University/College Questions Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 10:50 AM
gunners14henry

vCash: 500
Anybody happen to have the question bank for FINA 200?

Old
02-04-2013, 12:12 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Perhaps Brandenburger wouldn't be that bad after all, should I miss out on Kaspi or that other guy whose surname is filtered (but I know he's a good supervisor)...

Old
02-04-2013, 12:21 PM
PyrettaBlaze

Where do people get question/test banks?

02-04-2013, 12:31 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Where do people get question/test banks?
Some are at copy centers around concordia. Some are online. Some you get from crash courses.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:40 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Perhaps Brandenburger wouldn't be that bad after all, should I miss out on Kaspi or that other guy whose surname is filtered (but I know he's a good supervisor)...
They are very different choices.

Huge difference in skill required between tgeiry and observation and analysis

Old
02-04-2013, 07:07 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
They are very different choices.

Huge difference in skill required between theory and observation and analysis
Fixed for you.

I knew Kaspi and Rutledge (Andrew C as well?) performed observational research, and Brandenburger was a theorist, but would a theorist still have to code, implement algorithms or do statistics? (I know both are skills useful in observational astronomy)

Somehow I got on Brandenburger's radar after a conference talk given about the accelerated expansion of the universe... after asking the first question at that conference talk. Granted, almost everyone else that attended knew next to nothing about astronomy or cosmology, but the fact remains that Brandenburger still attended the conference.

Old
02-05-2013, 05:43 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Fixed for you.

I knew Kaspi and Rutledge (Andrew C as well?) performed observational research, and Brandenburger was a theorist, but would a theorist still have to code, implement algorithms or do statistics? (I know both are skills useful in observational astronomy)

Somehow I got on Brandenburger's radar after a conference talk given about the accelerated expansion of the universe... after asking the first question at that conference talk. Granted, almost everyone else that attended knew next to nothing about astronomy or cosmology, but the fact remains that Brandenburger still attended the conference.
I make a lot of ridiculous typos when I type from a cell phone.

They are each great advisers I'm sure. But I doubt there's any one person out there who could work well with all three of them as they're so different... but who knows. I'm sure you'll figure it out soon enough.

Some theorists code and do statistics, it's a continuum really between theorist and observer.

To be honest I'm a bit intimidated by RB as I found his GR class to be really hard; it was my least successful class in undergrad, in terms of the amount of knowledge I got out versus the effort put in. This time I tried and did poorly... granted it was my last semester and I was burned out but still.

A friend of mine wrote an astro-ph posting with him several years ago about cosmic strings. It took him two undergraduate summers to put together, which is pretty good. Cosmic strings are a high-risk high-reward subject. There's very little direct evidence for their existence, and they're ostensibly very intellectually demanding to work on, so not many people work on them; however, they are completely plausible and well-motivated, so it's rational to investigate them and indeed the community as a whole should have a few or many people looking into the issue. Obviously RB can work on many other subjects as well. Inflation studies, for example, might explode in a couple years if the Planck telescope can sort out the systematics. It would explode even further if NASA actually built the LISA array; instead however they are wasting money on JWST.

I work on data analysis. I take great data that's available, where you can believe me that there is great data available everywhere in overabundance just waiting for someone to do something with it, and I compare it to models and I mine it for inconsistencies. A good example of that kind of work would be a work by AC from several years ago, where he investigated several years of radial velocity data to produce what I think was the first probability density function for exoplanets as a function of period. A lot of statistics and a lot of coding. It takes a different skill set... you have to be aware of what a lot of other people are doing, and you have to be able to make links in your mind between seemingly disparate ideas.

I'm sure you'll rapidly converge to doing the type of science that makes best use of talents.

Last edited by DAChampion: 02-05-2013 at 05:52 AM.
Old
02-05-2013, 12:32 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Brent Pearce is Jerry Springer, seriously.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:49 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Got rejected from York.

I'm not sure whether I can talk about being tufted yet; I will be able to say I have been tufted from York if I get into either U Montreal or McGill.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:37 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Dawson or Vanier? Coming out of a private school. Councillor said the important thing for Cegep is that it is close to your house, which is Vanier for me. But so much people seem to want to go to Dawson for I don't know what reason

Old
02-21-2013, 03:46 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
Dawson or Vanier? Coming out of a private school. Councillor said the important thing for Cegep is that it is close to your house, which is Vanier for me. But so much people seem to want to go to Dawson for I don't know what reason
Unless there's a specific program you're targeting like a 3 year DEC it's pretty much the same.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:54 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
They want to go there because it's Atwater and you can shop and go to the movies over your break.

I went to Marianopolis and loved it.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:01 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
They want to go there because it's Atwater and you can shop and go to the movies over your break.

I went to Marianopolis and loved it.
Dawson is a bigger school with more student clubs.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:13 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Dawson is a bigger school with more student clubs.
Okay? That's not why people go there in droves, though, nothing against Dawson either. It's no secret Dawson has the best location by far of any CEGEP. Vanier's in St.-Lau, Marianopolis is on a random hill in Westmount and a 5-10 minute walk from Sherbrooke.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:40 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Okay? That's not why people go there in droves, though, nothing against Dawson either. It's no secret Dawson has the best location by far of any CEGEP. Vanier's in St.-Lau, Marianopolis is on a random hill in Westmount and a 5-10 minute walk from Sherbrooke.
I went to dawson because it was easiest to get to.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:42 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I went to dawson because it was easiest to get to.
Like I said, awesome location. Buses, metro, you name it.

Marianopolis, on the other hand...a little walk from the metro and a bus that almost never comes.

Old
02-21-2013, 05:37 PM
InglewoodJack

Vanier was a far more impressive school when I visited CEGEPs. The only thing Dawson has is that it's close to everything, but assuming you're going to be going to Concordia or McGill, you should probably stave off going to school downtown for a few years if you're the type to be temped to cut class.

I too went to Marianopolis. My experience wasn't exactly as glowingly positive as CP's, although it's a great school with great teachers, I can say that much. If you want to stay in the private system and don't mind cliquey high-school on steroids students, then that might be an option to consider. But between Vanier and Dawson, Vanier seems like your best bet.

Old
02-21-2013, 06:03 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Like I said, awesome location. Buses, metro, you name it.

Marianopolis, on the other hand...a little walk from the metro and a bus that almost never comes.
124 shuttle bus was the worst.

you miss it, you're late

Old
02-21-2013, 06:10 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Thanks for the answers..

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
Vanier was a far more impressive school when I visited CEGEPs. The only thing Dawson has is that it's close to everything, but assuming you're going to be going to Concordia or McGill, you should probably stave off going to school downtown for a few years if you're the type to be temped to cut class.

I too went to Marianopolis. My experience wasn't exactly as glowingly positive as CP's, although it's a great school with great teachers, I can say that much. If you want to stay in the private system and don't mind cliquey high-school on steroids students, then that might be an option to consider. But between Vanier and Dawson, Vanier seems like your best bet.
Yeah, Defiantly trying to stay away from Private. Feel like its time to do something different. Just wanted to make sure my idea was the proper one. I'm not the kind of guy that enjoys walking around down town too much, so Vanier seems better. Closer to my place

Old
02-21-2013, 06:15 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
That is because 17 year olds don't know better.

In reality, student clubs can be a huge deal, but only if you have a personality and do more than classes and partying.

I did reach for the top, intramurals, and the student newspaper in cegep ( chaplain college) and newspaper, student government, editing a national undergraduate publication, and organizing a conference in university.

There are good clubs everywhere, but Dawson has more of them. They're a great chance to develop yourself and to make lifelong friends.

Old
02-21-2013, 06:25 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Thanks for the answers..

Yeah, Defiantly trying to stay away from Private. Feel like its time to do something different. Just wanted to make sure my idea was the proper one. I'm not the kind of guy that enjoys walking around down town too much, so Vanier seems better. Closer to my place
Miscellaneous advice:

One thing i might do differently if i went back 11 years in the past would be to carry less stuff in my backpack... It will lead to back problems some time down the road.

Most of the time, you can keep your books at home and uf you need them in school for a two hour study session you can take them out fromte library.

For science textbooks almost nothing changes between editing, if money is an issue on your family bytem used.

Old
02-21-2013, 06:32 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Quote:
Miscellaneous advice:

One thing i might do differently if i went back 11 years in the past would be to carry less stuff in my backpack... It will lead to back problems some time down the road.

Most of the time, you can keep your books at home and uf you need them in school for a two hour study session you can take them out fromte library.

For science textbooks almost nothing changes between editing, if money is an issue on your family bytem used.
Money isn't an issue for my family & don't worry lol, I hate huge backpacks. I keep it as light as possible. I'm probably taking commerce though, so doubt I get Science textbooks.

Old
02-21-2013, 06:37 PM
Andy

Dawson because it was one metro for me, no walk outside, couldn't ask for more.

Also, I will soon have one year left of my masters. Just got a superviser for my thesis. I just want that piece of paper.

Old
02-21-2013, 07:13 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post

Load of crap IMO. If I'm gonna skip class it's not cuz i'm downtown. I just won't show up at all. Honestly, many people fear that. "Oh no, I'm dtown, i'll skip!" nah...if you dont wanna go, you just wont get out of bed at all.

Quote:
That is because 17 year olds don't know better.

In reality, student clubs can be a huge deal, but only if you have a personality and do more than classes and partying.

I did reach for the top, intramurals, and the student newspaper in cegep ( chaplain college) and newspaper, student government, editing a national undergraduate publication, and organizing a conference in university.

There are good clubs everywhere, but Dawson has more of them. They're a great chance to develop yourself and to make lifelong friends.
As good as clubs can be I find there's no problem waiting till university level. Honestly, you get to know people in your program better and can network better at that level with student organizations and all that. This shouldn't really be a huge factor at cegep level unless someone really wants it to be.

Old
02-21-2013, 08:28 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

I agree that the closer CEGEP is the better. I live 10 minutes walk from Vanier and it was a godsend to be able to sleep in. Once you're out of high school, sleep is something that become a premium that is sorely missed.

Closed Thread