HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Will Flyers pursue Iginla?

Old
02-04-2013, 11:07 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
Will Flyers pursue Iginla?

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...-pursue-iginla

Quote:
What about Jarome Iginla? Heís 35, but heís still a bonafide NHL scorer, a guy who has scored 31 or more goals for 11 years in the league.

And hereís the thing: he wonít cost you Sean Couturier or Brayden Schenn or Claude Giroux.

Bobby Ryan would cost you one of those three.

The Flyers canít afford to mortgage their future, but they could part with a prospect they just sent back to junior in Scott Laughton.

That would likely get you Iginla.
Tim thinks the Flyers will wait 3 more games before deciding. If we go 0-3? Maybe its a possibility. How about 1-2? Probably not. I guess it comes down to, if you think the team is a Iginla away from competing for the cup. I think most of us agree no.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:13 AM
Tripod

Trading for Iginla would be a stupid move. We ar not contenders, and our core is young. Let them play. Let them develop more chemistry. Address the #1 D situation 1st. We will get the scoring from our youth as they age.

Tripod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:25 AM
laundryman

Depends on what we give up. I'd like to have Iginla because the young guys could learn a lot from him

But I wouldn't even want to give up Laughton for him

laundryman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:25 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Yeah I am not in to going after Iginla atm. I would hope they don't trade a guy like Laughton for Iginla, especially this early in the season. If they are competing by the deadline (when is that, btw) that is a different story. I don't think they make any moves of significance if they are tanking. It would make more sense to me to make a move if they start to turn it around. We'll see.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:44 AM
FlyingHigh28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...-pursue-iginla

Tim thinks the Flyers will wait 3 more games before deciding. If we go 0-3? Maybe its a possibility. How about 1-2? Probably not. I guess it comes down to, if you think the team is a Iginla away from competing for the cup. I think most of us agree no.
I can't take anything Tim says Seriously, I mean, the guy says this later on in the article:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Panaccio
Now hereís the rub. He has a $7 million cap hit and the Flyers have roughly $1.5 million in cap space.

They would have do something drastic, such as LTIR Chris Pronger and Matt Walker to afford Iginla.
There is absolutely nothing "drastic" about LTIRing Pronger and Matt Walker. It's a routine move. It costs them nothing. It's not a risk in any way.

As to the overall idea proposed by Pinocchio, I just can't see us giving up Laughton for 1/2 season of Iginla. I'd give up picks (not a 1st) and non-top prospects (no Laughton), but other than that, no way.

This is just more baseless Tim speculation because he needs to fill articles. He has no inside sources, he has no clue what's going on. He's a waste.

FlyingHigh28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:44 AM
Snotbubbles

I can't believe another team wouldn't beat a proposal centered around Scott Laughton.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:49 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Timmy is an idiot. Aside from the fact that Calgary would ask for the moon, trading for Iginla makes no sense

how does he still have a job?

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:49 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Yeah, let's not do this.

Cap Space: $1,928,317

Iginla Cap Hit: $7,000,000

Laughton alone doesn't get him in the roster. Why would anybody propose this? It's a terrible idea.

02-04-2013, 11:52 AM
chinatown81592
Smash Bros Hype!

Its Timmy P. he probably needed to come up with an article just to meet his "work" quota. Since in all honesty this move makes no fudgin sense at all.

chinatown81592 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:53 AM
dawkins121

Cap issues and whether Laughton would even be able to get Iginla aside, I don't think this team is close enough to true cup contention the way it's currently constructed to justify giving up core assets for a life preserver in a shortened season.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:54 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
Cap issues and whether Laughton would even be able to get Iginla aside, I don't think this team is close enough to true cup contention the way it's currently constructed to justify giving up core assets for a life preserver in a shortened season.
Exactly, that's the other thing. What could make anybody think Iginla is the missing piece that gets this team to the Finals? The team isn't on the bubble, they've looked like crap.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:58 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Exactly, that's the other thing. What could make anybody think Iginla is the missing piece that gets this team to the Finals? The team isn't on the bubble, they've looked like crap.
Agreed on avoiding Iginla. We need PPQB more than anything, if Gus can't cut it on his impending recall.

I still think the team will come around, but if not, they should sell and tank and go for Jones/McKinnon.... It's only a short season and this time it would be worth it to finish at the bottom.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:59 AM
BillDineen

Flyers overpay for upcoming UFA Ignila. Fans rejoice: "Who cares what we gave up, we got Ignila!". Flyers sign Ignila to a 35+ contract until the age of 42. Fans rejoice: "Who cares how long the contract is, we got Ignila!". Sound familiar?

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:01 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Flyers overpay for upcoming UFA Ignila. Fans rejoice: "Who cares what we gave up, we got Ignila!". Flyers sign Ignila to a 35+ contract until the age of 42. Fans rejoice: "Who cares how long the contract is, we got Ignila!". Sound familiar?
Sorry Bill. When we signed Pronger, we needed a vet #1 Dman. I'm not sure Iginla is even a first line player on our team. He stunk last year. And injury is always a risk - if not for an unlucky stick in the eye for Prongs our season last year and this would look much different.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:04 PM
Mota

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yeah I am not in to going after Iginla atm. I would hope they don't trade a guy like Laughton for Iginla, especially this early in the season. If they are competing by the deadline (when is that, btw) that is a different story. I don't think they make any moves of significance if they are tanking. It would make more sense to me to make a move if they start to turn it around. We'll see.
I disagree with this. If they are going to bring in a guy like Iginla, they need to do it soon. If the scoring troubles continue, they likely wont be contenders come the deadline. However, if they address them now via trade, the team could keep themselves in the mix and even be contenders once Hartnell, Mez, and Simmonds comeback. With the way Bryz is playing, 3 goals will get you a win most nights.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:06 PM
JustJim

One of the reasons I miss Pronger.....

Is the way he used to field questions from that idiot Tim Panacchio. Tim is an absolute idiot if he thinks mortgaging a very young, unseasoned 1st round pick like Laughton for an aged player, ( who is well past his prime), like Iginla.

JustJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:06 PM
Broad Street Elite

If we trade for Iginla, that's an absolutely brutal organizational decision. Iginla doesn't somehow transform us into a contender nor does he fit into our longterm plans.

IF we make a trade, it needs to be something that makes sense for both this season and moving forward. For example, a guy like Giordano may cost more, but from both a short and long term perspective, he makes a whole lot more sense. (Note: no idea if Giordano is available at any reasonable price, but just using his name as an illustrative example).

We are set up perfectly to make a run next season. We have a solid young core and the available cap space to make a run at a Corey Perry. With Laughton, McGinn, Read, and perhaps Cousins all costing a truly nominal amount against our cap and filling important 3-4th line (or better) slots plus the expiration of Timo's contract (hopefully try to resign for 1-2 more years at a reduced cap hit), we can easily accommodate a bigger contract without even having to use our amnesty on Briere or Bryz.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:13 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
nor does he fit into our longterm plans.
"Longterm plans? What are those?"

--The Philadelphia Flyers

(I'm only half sarcastic with this.)

Old
02-04-2013, 12:26 PM
Mota

I am kind of surprised so many people are down on Iginla. Yeah, I know, he is 35...but he scored 75 goals in the past two seasons on an awful team. Imagine what he could do on Gs wing? The league has plenty on 35+ guys who have shown they can still be impact players..and Iginla hasnt missed a game in over 5 seasons, so he seems to be a guy who keeps in shape. Not to mention he is a great two way player, a great leader, and an all around classy guy.

Even if he isnt a 45 goal scorer anymore, would people really have a problem if he came in here, scored at a 30-35 goal pace, brought a veteran presence that helped the young guys, and played a strong 2-way game?

I get people are hesitant trading away future for vets, but the talk on here is that Iginla is some bum that hasnt put together a decent season in 3 years. I personally would love the guy on my team, he represents everything good about the game.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:34 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
"Longterm plans? What are those?"

--The Philadelphia Flyers

(I'm only half sarcastic with this.)
I wouldnt of been. look at our farm club.

Timmah is a moron. Why would we give up Laughton for a guy we could get in the offseason for probably less then 7 million per. besides there is that whole cap thing that most of the Flyers beat writers convientantly forget.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:38 PM
CTAMER

FYI... Timmy isn't the only one reporting this move. Brian Staubits with cbssports.com is saying basically the same thing.
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...ey-seek-iginla

CTAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:40 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
If we trade for Iginla, that's an absolutely brutal organizational decision. Iginla doesn't somehow transform us into a contender nor does he fit into our longterm plans.

IF we make a trade, it needs to be something that makes sense for both this season and moving forward. For example, a guy like Giordano may cost more, but from both a short and long term perspective, he makes a whole lot more sense. (Note: no idea if Giordano is available at any reasonable price, but just using his name as an illustrative example).

We are set up perfectly to make a run next season. We have a solid young core and the available cap space to make a run at a Corey Perry. With Laughton, McGinn, Read, and perhaps Cousins all costing a truly nominal amount against our cap and filling important 3-4th line (or better) slots plus the expiration of Timo's contract (hopefully try to resign for 1-2 more years at a reduced cap hit), we can easily accommodate a bigger contract without even having to use our amnesty on Briere or Bryz.
This 100%

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:03 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTAMER View Post
FYI... Timmy isn't the only one reporting this move. Brian Staubits with cbssports.com is saying basically the same thing.
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...ey-seek-iginla
CBS covers hockey?

Old
02-04-2013, 01:04 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:

Until we get a #1 defenseman, I fail to see that

Old
02-04-2013, 01:05 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I wouldnt of been. look at our farm club.

Timmah is a moron. Why would we give up Laughton for a guy we could get in the offseason for probably less then 7 million per. besides there is that whole cap thing that most of the Flyers beat writers convientantly forget.
Yeah...we'd be giving up a minimum of two players to fit him on the roster. That's a step back since we have nobody else to replace whoever is given up.