HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hughson,Simpson,Healy

Old
02-04-2013, 12:13 PM
SprDaVE

vCash: 500
Healy is such a pain to listen to. The worst "analyst" out there. It's not even about his hate for Toronto, he just doesn't have a clue. He's bad for any team he comments on.

Hughson and Simpson aren't overly bad but they are pretty boring.

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:14 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeTheIronSing View Post
yes, cherry is an expert like it or lump it.

don't confuse preference with credibility.

cherry's been there, he's been in the fray. mckenzie is an analyst, not an expert.

who's more credible for giving you a diagnosis, a retired doctor, or someone that has seen a lot of sick people be sick?
that's a pretty stupid analogy. Cherry didn't spend 7 years at university learning about hockey.

they both have studied the game. yes Cherry played. a million years ago and he is still living in the 60's and 70's. Its not the same game at all. he's a dinosaur. yes he has some knowledge but playing doesn't make him an expert on analyzing the game today.

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:20 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

The apparent dislike for the Leafs is obvious among this crew, but I'm not sure why people let it bother them.

Being a Leaf fan requires thick skin by nature of the beast, as its a requirement that comes with the following.

When our Leafs are winning again some day, the commentary will change accordingly as it will no longer be as easy to take shots at the team. Losing breeds contempt and that is only resolved by winning.

As bad as this group is, the Leaf homer broadcast crew Bob Cole etc. takes things to the opposite extreme in support, and that likely turns off national viewers as much. Therefore likely the reason CBC switches up the announcers on occasion to give a broader perspective to all.. IMO

02-04-2013, 12:21 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
yes, cherry is an expert like it or lump it.

don't confuse preference with credibility.

cherry's been there, he's been in the fray. mckenzie is an analyst, not an expert.

who's more credible for giving you a diagnosis, a retired doctor, or someone that has seen a lot of sick people be sick?
I'm actually a huge Cherry fan, but if I want real intelligent opinion, I listen to Bobby Mac. He may not have been involved at a high level, but he offers unbiased, intelligent opinion and gathers real information from real NHL scouts. I like that.

Cherry is a booster with a lot of personality. He does know how to deal with some players, and is sensitive to their likes and whats good for them, but he's a very biased Leafs fan, and too closed minded to make a highly intelligent, critical opinion.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Clark4Ever

Ever since Bob Cole stopped doing the Leafs CBC broadcasts and these clowns took over, I have developed a serious disdain for watching Leaf games on CBC anymore. It has nothing to do with our lousy record on Saturday nights, I just can't stand listening to their commentary anymore. It really is a complete disgrace and an insult to the most significant hockey market in the country, if not the NHL.

I think I'm going to start muting the television and listening to the Fan590/TSN1050 commentators from now on.

Clark4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
The apparent dislike for the Leafs is obvious among this crew, but I'm not sure why people let it bother them.

Being a Leaf fan requires thick skin by nature of the beast, as its a requirement that comes with the following.

When our Leafs are winning again some day, the commentary will change accordingly as it will no longer be as easy to take shots at the team. Losing breeds contempt and that is only resolved by winning.

As bad as this group is, the Leaf homer broadcast crew Bob Cole etc. takes things to the opposite extreme in support, and that likely turns off national viewers as much. Therefore likely the reason CBC switches up the announcers on occasion to give a broader perspective to all.. IMO
This.

All of Canada bloody hates us, and many American markets too.

And this is through an era where this team has had no relevance.

Who cares if 3 men on a national hockey broadcast really imply hate?

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:25 PM
MakeTheIronSing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post
I'm actually a huge Cherry fan, but if I want real intelligent opinion, I listen to Bobby Mac. He may not have been involved at a high level, but he offers unbiased, intelligent opinion and gathers real information from real NHL scouts. I like that.

Cherry is a booster with a lot of personality. He does know how to deal with some players, and is sensitive to their likes and whats good for them, but he's a very biased Leafs fan, and too closed minded to make a highly intelligent, critical opinion.
that's great.

the question was whether cherry was more of an expert than mckenzie. not who's opinion do you like more.

everybody and their grandmother has an opinion.

MakeTheIronSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:26 PM
tape to tape

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think Joe Bowen is the best in the business right now.

tape to tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:29 PM
Clark4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
This.

All of Canada bloody hates us, and many American markets too.

And this is through an era where this team has had no relevance.

Who cares if 3 men on a national hockey broadcast really imply hate?
Fair points, although it's no excuse for the bloody drivel we are all subjected to on Saturday nights on what is supposed to our home based network.

Old
02-04-2013, 12:30 PM
Bleed Blue and White

All I can say is... get used to it. As some have said already, we're hated because we're the biggest, most powerful, most iconic and most loyal (or stupid depending on how some look at it ) fanbase in hockey and some could say even in pro sport. When we have success again, and we will, that hate is only going to intensify, giving haters another reason to be jealous.

Bleed Blue and White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:33 PM
Brymas McCaberle

Quote:
You're talking about it aren't you? You think a reporter says to themselves before making each statement... 'i this going to be credible', ill tell you now its not even close to that. its 'how many people will respond to this'
Talking about it because of how stupid and wrong the remark was, not because Healy is such a credible expert who was ever responsible for his words despite being broadcasted nationwide.

"How many people will respond to this" should be a foremost consideration for an internet troll, not a professional announcer / commentator.

Brymas McCaberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:33 PM
MakeTheIronSing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
that's a pretty stupid analogy. Cherry didn't spend 7 years at university learning about hockey
nope he didn't

he spent about 70 years being around the game of hockey at the highest level possible
watching, knowing, being involved with the greatest players to every step foot on an ice rink: bower, richard, orr, howe, sittler, hull, gretzky, lemieux, yzerman, messier. watching the game evolve every step of the way

if you don't like him, ok, im not crazy about him either.
but to say he's not an expert is insulting to the sport

MakeTheIronSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark4Ever View Post
Fair points, although it's no excuse for the bloody drivel we are all subjected to on Saturday nights on what is supposed to our home based network.
CBC HNIC is not our home based network, that would be Leafs TV if anything.

But you make a good point in that whomever is the home team on that given night, should be reflective in the announcing for the game accordingly from that perspective.

Home based fans should get special/preferential treatment in the tone of the broadcast with a leading towards the home team bias on the evening.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:57 PM
Hockeylaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tape to tape View Post
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think Joe Bowen is the best in the business right now.
Love Joe.

Hughson generally isn't that bad, but the announcing in Saturday's game was atrocious. No one wants to hear their team slagged off for a solid two hours, even if they aren't playing very well.

I prefer Bob Cole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess
Home based fans should get special/preferential treatment in the tone of the broadcast with a leading towards the home team bias on the evening.
Hell, I would prefer neutral broadcasting. Just call the game, please.

If they can't help but inject some subjective analysis of how well a certain team, or a certain player on either team, is performing, make it a positive analysis, not a negative one. I can tolerate hearing how great the Bruins are. But hearing about how poorly the Leafs are playing in comparison is tedious, and gets annoying very quickly.

Send your complaints here: http://www.cbc.ca/contact/

Hockeylaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:57 PM
garce

Quote:

Very true, being in the Ottawa area I have been somewhat surprised to see the dislike of the Leafs deepen over the last few years as bad as things have been for us. My town (Brockville) is about 1/4 Leafs 1/4 Habs and maybe a little more Sens with the rest others the one thing the other 75% have in common is they all hate Toronto and the Leafs in particular. Makes for fun discussion.
I sometimes wonder that maybe this somewhat negative bent re the Leafs isn't pandering to the rest of the country with the notion that there was a Leaf centric bent to HNIC in the past. Which of course there was in those shining moments that the team was actually good.

garce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:00 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
nope he didn't

he spent about 70 years being around the game of hockey at the highest level possible
watching, knowing, being involved with the greatest players to every step foot on an ice rink: bower, richard, orr, howe, sittler, hull, gretzky, lemieux, yzerman, messier. watching the game evolve every step of the way

if you don't like him, ok, im not crazy about him either.
but to say he's not an expert is insulting to the sport
like how you ignore most of the post.

it's not about liking him or not. if he wasn't a dinosaur maybe he would be an expert. right now he's an "expert" of the game 30 or so years ago.

and applying your analogy, if my father was one of the top doctors in the world and I hung around him all my life I would be an expert in medicine? even though I only went to Med school for a couple of months?

Old
02-04-2013, 01:04 PM
stish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperglide View Post
I already stopped watching HNIC. It wasn't easy but it was worth it judged on your guys reaction. Boycott CBC. Hughson and Simpson will be gone fast once their ratings take a nosedive.
CBC HNIC Leafs coverage will not exist after 2014. And not a moment too soon. Horrible coverage in every way, especially Healy. What a horrible, hateful little troll. Do the producers not realize this? If they do and are just riding with the rest of Canada's anti-Leaf love, they deserve to lose the Leafs on Saturday night, and the resultant ad money. What's going to fund "Arctic Air"? lol

stish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:05 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

I wouldn't want a Leafs slant, really. I like it impartial. Joe Bowen is great, though an obvious lean in our direction.

I would never want anything close to the Red Wings' broadcast. They should be embarassed, with all the whining and BS they spew over the course of a game. Mickey R. Is a joke. They used to have Ray Lane too, and he was almost as awful. The crying when the Wings don't get a PP, openly saying things like "boy, this ref..... How is that not a penalty!?"

I would love a new crew on HNIC, though.

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:06 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stish View Post
CBC HNIC Leafs coverage will not exist after 2014. And not a moment too soon. Horrible coverage in every way, especially Healy. What a horrible, hateful little troll. Do the producers not realize this? If they do and are just riding with the rest of Canada's anti-Leaf love, they deserve to lose the Leafs on Saturday night, and the resultant ad money. What's going to fund "Arctic Air"? lol
of course it will. because without it there will be no CBC

Old
02-04-2013, 01:07 PM
Da Murf

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
I just cannot understand the hatred Healy has for the Leafs. Where does it stem from?
Might be when passed over to be the GM. On Saturday he was GM and coach. Simpson on the other hand may need another meeting with Wendel to clear up any misunderstandings.

Da Murf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:07 PM
stish

Quote:
of course it will. because without it there will be no CBC
The contract is up. The 2 competing networks own the team. Getting a crew that doesn't hate the Leafs will come up in contract talks I would hope.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:10 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 1 - 1

Quote:
Can't see that happening.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:10 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
The contract is up. The 2 competing networks own the team. Figure it out.
gee thanks for the news flashes.

HNIC isn't going anywhere

Old
02-04-2013, 01:11 PM
Clark4Ever

Quote:
CBC HNIC is not our home based network, that would be Leafs TV if anything.

But you make a good point in that whomever is the home team on that given night, should be reflective in the announcing for the game accordingly from that perspective.

At the very least, shouldn't we be treated as the home team per se on CBC telecasts when the opponent is an American club?

Old
02-04-2013, 01:19 PM
stish

Quote:
gee thanks for the news flashes.

HNIC isn't going anywhere
I didn't mean to be flippant. That's why I changed it, but you are too fast haha. Neither of us knows if that will happen. Things can change pretty quickly in broadcasting. 20 years ago no Habs on Radio Canada would have been unthinkable.