HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers lacking political clout?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-16-2003, 06:15 AM
  #1
elphy101
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: City of Champions
Posts: 1,568
vCash: 500
Oilers lacking political clout?

Is it just me that thinks this or are the Oilers actually missing some political clout?

Every year, they have players make it to the world junior camp and then they get cut. Even though they deserve to be there more than some players that made the team. When was the last time an Oilers actually played for canada in the world juniors excluding Jarrot Stoll(calgary property at the time)

Case in point

1. Mike Comrie: leads the camp in scoring. Still gets cut.

2. Kyle Brodziak: played awesome, leads the WHL in scoring. Still gets cut, when guys like Colliton, Talbot and Dixon are still on the team. Ten WHL'ers made the team and yet the guy that leagues the WHL in scoring isn't good enough?

3. Jeff Deslauriers: the second best goalie at the last 2 camps. Cut both times. Hopefully this doesn't bit Canada as bad as last year when Leneveu stunk it up.

4. Doug Lynch: okay now I'm pushing it. He probably deserved to be cut.

All of these are just off the top of my head. Could be quite a few more.


Last edited by elphy101: 12-16-2003 at 06:23 AM.
elphy101 is offline  
Old
12-16-2003, 07:15 AM
  #2
MrMackey
Registered User
 
MrMackey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: cgy
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
Is it just me that thinks this or are the Oilers actually missing some political clout?
I don't know. If you think about Smytty (despite his injury) and Brewer both making the Olympics over guys like Thornton and Redden.

Also, there's always a strong Oiler showing at the World Championships, and guys like Cleary have represented when they probably shouldn't be given the opportunity.

Lowe seems to have strong ties to Hockey Canada, and the support staff are also always quite involved in various tournements (from Don Metz to Bill Tuele to Barry Staffor to Ken Lowe). Also, the Oilers hired a couple of staff away from Hockey Canada this summer, so I'm sure there are some strong ties there too.

Maybe its just in the junior world?

MrMackey is offline  
Old
12-16-2003, 07:16 AM
  #3
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
I don't know. If you think about Smytty (despite his injury) and Brewer both making the Olympics over guys like Thornton and Redden.

Also, there's always a strong Oiler showing at the World Championships, and guys like Cleary have represented when they probably shouldn't be given the opportunity.

Lowe seems to have strong ties to Hockey Canada, and the support staff are also always quite involved in various tournements (from Don Metz to Bill Tuele to Barry Staffor to Ken Lowe). Also, the Oilers hired a couple of staff away from Hockey Canada this summer, so I'm sure there are some strong ties there too.

Maybe its just in the junior world?
Cleary represented Canada because no one else had enough balls to go.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
12-16-2003, 07:29 AM
  #4
MrMackey
Registered User
 
MrMackey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: cgy
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Cleary represented Canada because no one else had enough balls to go.
Maybe.

I'm not denying that we got the shaft and that politics doesn't enter in to the equation. I was just thinking that the politics probably are more on a personal level then on an NHL team level for the junior tourney.


MrMackey is offline  
Old
12-16-2003, 07:54 AM
  #5
USC Trojans
New Era
 
USC Trojans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: LA Oiler fan
Posts: 12,037
vCash: 500
I don't think so...if anything, the Oilers have a bit of an advantage when it comes to team Canada. Gretzky, Lowe, and parts of the training staff have been involved in the World Cups and the Olympics. And plus, hockey Canada loves the Oilers cause we send four to five guys over to the world cup each year.
I think it happens both ways...remember when Brewer was selected to the Olympic team? There were several defenders that played better than Eric during the regular season but he still got on the team.

USC Trojans is offline  
Old
12-16-2003, 08:34 AM
  #6
Freakey Styley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 31
vCash: 500
yeah, i can imagine back for the olympics, lowe convincing everyone else that brewer is a much better defenseman that derek morris or wade redden while jacque martin is sitting there looking at his tie or something.

Freakey Styley is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.