HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[NYR/MIN] Mike Rupp to MIN for Darroll Powe and Nick Palmieri

Old
02-04-2013, 01:59 PM
Krams
what a time

vCash: 500
Palmieri, too? Sather strikes again.

Krams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
seafoam
Surface Envy

vCash: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK9 View Post
Not for a team looking to get bigger it's not.

Pretty sure after playing two teams that tower over the Wild (Blues & Ducks) and getting pushed around, Yeo realizes we need to get bigger.

So they bring up Coyle (6' 2") and trade for a guy that's 6'5". That's two big bodies on a team that is notoriously small.
I understand it somewhat from Minnesota's side, but not from New York's side.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Palmieri didn't report to the Aeros for a bit after he was sent down, that with the his contract dispute this summer meant the Wild were really looking to trade him.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:00 PM
MK9

Palmieri I think was more of a throw in. He's P.O.'d the Wild brass a few times now. Been on the block since camp.

[EDIT]: From Russo's blog:

The Wild has traded Darroll Powe to the New York Rangers for Michael Rupp, sources have confirmed.

Nick Palmieri, a right winger playing in Houston, was also part of the deal, as he goes to the Rangers as well.

Rupp, a 6-foot-5, 230-pounder, has 53 goals and 94 points in 565 games. He is a tough, tough customer that will add grit to the Wild lineup. He has 78 career fights.

More soon, but Powe was to be a healthy scratch tonight at Phoenix. Now we know why. It's become very clear the Wild needs to get bigger and grittier. This is a start.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/189690261.html

As I said.

MK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:01 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFW View Post
Powe is a better player?
Haha...no.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:01 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

NYR get two cheap bottom six players for one not really cheap bottom six player. They need cheap depth. Palmieri can play and has a little up side.

02-04-2013, 02:04 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

I can see the reasoning from both ends

02-04-2013, 02:05 PM
MK9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
NYR get two cheap bottom six players for one not really cheap bottom six player. They need cheap depth. Palmieri can play and has a little up side.
Not really. NYR get a cheap bottom six player and a career minor leaguer that thinks he's better than he is.

I'd call it a wash.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:07 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

The Rupp signing turned out to be a bad one, he never really brought much of anything to the ice. Love the willingness to fight but I'd say he got beat more often than not. This looks like a good trade for the Rangers to me.

McDonagh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:09 PM
caley

A little puzzling for the Wild in that it gives them three tough guys on 1-way deals now: Rupp, Zenon Konopka and Matt Kassian. I'd expect Kassian to be on waivers soon, or dealt to a team looking for toughness for a conditional pick.

02-04-2013, 02:09 PM
JayB

Maybe coming more trades from Minnesota`? I think they was near contract limit so 2 to 1 trade to make some space?

And maybe Rupp was ****ed up just doing fight in first shift then sitting on the pench?

Really like this trade. I never liked Powe that much.

How is this looking:

Rupp-Konopka-Kassian

JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:10 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonagh View Post
The Rupp signing turned out to be a bad one, he never really brought much of anything to the ice. Love the willingness to fight but I'd say he got beat more often than not. This looks like a good trade for the Rangers to me.
Yep. Outside of the Winter Classic, he really hasn't done anything for the Rangers. He was slow as **** last year because of the knee injury but even this year he isn't skating particularly well. I liked the signing at the time and like him as a player but he doesn't look as good as he used to.

As been mentioned also, the Rangers need depth. We have Stu Bickel playing the 4th line right now and Rupp was on the 3rd line. Palmieri is being sent to Connecticut for the time being though.

NYR Viper

Love the deal for the Rangers. They needed to add a pot-stirrer to their lower lines, someone who will fit perfectly in their system. Powe will also help an already very good PK.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
TrueBlue9

Rupp has lost a step. Really slow, poor forechecking, doesn't fit the current Tortorella mold

TrueBlue9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:11 PM
MK9

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonagh View Post
I don't think they're really bringing him in for the fighting aspect. Just size, grit.

Powe was supposedly brought here as a big hitter along the lines of Clutter. I honestly can't tell you I remember him making many (i.e; any) big hits.

From the Official Wild twitter:

Fletcher: "Rupp is a big guy who has won the Stanley Cup. He brings size, experience and grit to our lineup."

Old
02-04-2013, 02:12 PM
Krams
what a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Haha...no.
Without a shadow of a doubt.

Krams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Rupp was terrible. He looked like he had cement skates. He couldn't move. Nice guy. He hurt his knee in 11-12. Rupp has never recovered from that knee injury.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Rangers got deeper/better, but Wild get their size and toughness, and free up a contract spot. Pretty lateral move overall, and one that won't make a huge difference in the end.

AKL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:13 PM
Dragon Priest
Elvenlegions

An unexpected deal. But I wish Rupp the best of luck with the Wild.

Dragon Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:14 PM
MK9

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
A little puzzling for the Wild in that it gives them three tough guys on 1-way deals now: Rupp, Zenon Konopka and Matt Kassian. I'd expect Kassian to be on waivers soon, or dealt to a team looking for toughness for a conditional pick.
Indeed. I'd say this is a fair bet to be honest. I like Kassian, but there really hasn't been much need for him.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:16 PM
Sharppi
Nothing to see here

Go go Powe to Rangers!

...someone had to do it.

Sharppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:17 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK9 View Post
I don't think they're really bringing him in for the fighting aspect. Just size, grit.

Powe was supposedly brought here as a big hitter along the lines of Clutter. I honestly can't tell you I remember him making many (i.e; any) big hits.

From the Official Wild twitter:

Fletcher: "Rupp is a big guy who has won the Stanley Cup. He brings size, experience and grit to our lineup."
Eh, I dunno, maybe if he gets more icetime than the Rangers were giving him, but Rupp isn't really quick enough to be real gritty and tough. He will fight, that's for sure, but he isn't quick enough to be much of a hitter and he can be mediocre along the boards because his hands and feet are pretty slow.

e: if he's hitting lots he's probably also taking penalties because he's hitting late

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:20 PM
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers

Adios, Rupp! You're a nice guy and all, but you really were one of the worst hockey players I have ever seen.

Add Rupp into the Rangers Hall of Tough Crap along with Brashear, Shelley, Boogaard (RIP) and John Scott

Mats Zuccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Richter35

Powe still a great energy/PK guy right? If so, that's exactly what the rangers need. Rupp sucks, we have bickel if we need to dress an enforcer. also save 500k on the cap next year. great deal by slats

Richter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Flat Stanley

I like the addition of Rupp to the Wild. He's a good locker room guy, he was a former teammate of Parise in NJ, he's familiar with Mike Yeo when they were with the Penguins, even if it was only for one season.

He also adds the size they wanted. He's a good, veteran NHL 4th liner.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote