HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

FEB 6TH Boston @ Montreal 7:30PM EST

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2013, 12:52 PM
Andy

vCash: 500
I worry less about Bruins' toughness than their defensive game. They play a strong team defense and the addition of Hamilton has made their blue-line even better. Habs already showing difficulty scoring at even strength. They should focus and figuring out ways to score and break the defensive game than focusing on their fists.

Old
02-04-2013, 12:56 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I worry less about Bruins' toughness than their defensive game. They play a strong team defense and the addition of Hamilton has made their blue-line even better. Habs already showing difficulty scoring at even strength. They should focus and figuring out ways to score and break the defensive game than focusing on their fists.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm...ewName=summary

in terms of ratio of goals for and goals aginst we are best in the league

Old
02-04-2013, 12:57 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
We've not been scoring an incredible amount of goals like Tampa Bay at even strength, but so far, we're still 12th in the league for goals scored 5 on 5. And, we're the ones that have allowed the least ES goal in the NHL, with only 7 in 8 games.

We're #1 in the league for our GF/GA ratio. It's not a factor I'm particularly worried about. This shortened season could help the Habs big time. Teams are used to playing a passive team that is trapping the center ice, and they're all surprised at the Habs relentless forecheck. And by the time they're used to us doing that, we're done playing against them for the year (only 2 matchups or so against teams outside our division this year). We'll see how it goes, but so far, the surprise effect helps us big time.

Old
02-04-2013, 12:57 PM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
No we don't. Unless the tough guy can play its a waste of a spot. Remember Laraque? He was a great tough guy but no one would fight him. Scott is useless outside of fighting. He tried to fight Prust on Saturday and got ignored.

The fact is that no one has to fight and unless you can help the team in other ways you shouldn't be on the team.
Laraque's best days were far behind him when he donned the CH. He'd been on a steady decline and had openly spoken about not enjoying his role. He went through the motions... Look at a Colton Orr and what he does for the Leafs. I'm not suggesting use the guy (I said MacIntyre) on a regular basis, but against the Bruins, why not? Ask the Sabres if they think Scott is useless.

And yes sometimes there are situations in every player's career where they have to drop the gloves. Even Nick Lidstrom did it...

Bruins have pushed the Habs around for a long time - Chara jumping Latendresse, Chara on Pacioretty, guys running at Subban, beating up non fighters in Spacek, Hamrlik, and Pyatt...

When the Habs were respectable they had Kordic, Corson, Robinson, Nilan, McPhee, and others to neutralize the Boston teams. No reason we couldn't have a heavyweight to help Prust.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:02 PM
Knuckles30

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm...ewName=summary

in terms of ratio of goals for and goals aginst we are best in the league
...and he accuses me of making things up

Old
02-04-2013, 01:04 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
They are third in the whole NHL.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:05 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Laraque's best days were far behind him when he donned the CH. He'd been on a steady decline and had openly spoken about not enjoying his role. He went through the motions... Look at a Colton Orr and what he does for the Leafs. I'm not suggesting use the guy (I said MacIntyre) on a regular basis, but against the Bruins, why not? Ask the Sabres if they think Scott is useless.

And yes sometimes there are situations in every player's career where they have to drop the gloves. Even Nick Lidstrom did it...

Bruins have pushed the Habs around for a long time - Chara jumping Latendresse, Chara on Pacioretty, guys running at Subban, beating up non fighters in Spacek, Hamrlik, and Pyatt...

When the Habs were respectable they had Kordic, Corson, Robinson, Nilan, McPhee, and others to neutralize the Boston teams. No reason we couldn't have a heavyweight to help Prust.
1980's hockey... We are in 2013.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:09 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post

Mtl beat the Bruins like 7-3 or something that game, I think Mtl beat the Bruins something like 11-12 games during that time.

Even when Mtl got Gomez, Gionta, Cammy, prior to last season, Mtl went 9-3 vs the Bruins.

Mtl has always never been affected by the Bruins tough guys like say the Sabres. But I do agree that mtl needed to add toughness to match teams like the Bruins, but it has to be as a team, not adding one tough guy like a Scott, who is useless, its about having guys like Bouillon, Prust, Moen, White, all play stuff but can actually play hockey. Boston doesn't have a goon, they have guys that play tough but also play the game.

Last edited by habs03: 02-04-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old
02-04-2013, 01:13 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
You can have both though. Seriously.

This board is usually so quick to jump on players, why is Armstrong being given a free pass so far? Has he brought anything to the lineup yet that people would consider "irreplaceable"? Why turn this into White vs. Eller when it doesn't need to be?

Get Armdog and his zeroes-across-the-board out, keep Eller's skill, keep White's toughness. Easy.
I must admit that I did not propose "Armstrong out, White in" strictly because I still can't decide if Armstrong has been quietly effective or simply invisible!

"Armstrong out, White in" is definitely an option.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:14 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
They are third in the whole NHL.
In differential. They are middle of the puck in pure goals scored at ES. I didn't ask for differential at evens.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:16 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
I must admit that I did not propose "Armstrong out, White in" strictly because I still can't decide if Armstrong has been quietly effective or simply invisible!

"Armstrong out, White in" is definitely an option.
White can take care of a guy like Campbell or a D like Boychuck or McQuaid.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:21 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
In differential. They are middle of the puck in pure goals scored at ES. I didn't ask for differential at evens.
Habs have scored 15 goals at 5v5 and allowed only 7 at 5v5 For a ratio of 2.14, the best in the whole league.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:28 PM
Andy

Quote:
Habs have scored 15 goals at 5v5 and allowed only 7 at 5v5 For a ratio of 2.14, the best in the whole league.
Scoring goals at even strength does equate to the differential of allowing goals at even strength and scoring them. I did not mention the latter.

In terms of scoring goals at Even-strength, that is the stat that measures scoring goals at even-stength in the absence of those allowed, the habs are middle of the pack.

The distinction is hard to grasp.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:29 PM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
1980's hockey... We are in 2013.
Probably not a co-incidence that the last time they were considered Cup threats was during that era... During the Smurf/no toughness era, we aren't and haven't been for 20 years.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:30 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

We don't need to make any trades right now. I certainly hope we don't trade futures for players like Ryan Clowe (who we have no space for).

Old
02-04-2013, 01:36 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GoHabsGo99 View Post
I know it's early but it's against boston and could be for the division lead

also Moen in Glory's First GDT
"... but it's against boston and could be for the division lead..."... I just realised that... it's early but wow nonetheless!

I knew we had depth upfront and a great G in Price but I had doubts regarding our D squad: not enough experience (Subban, Diaz, Emelin, Weber...), Emelin as a RD, Markov’s knee, Emelin in the top4, being forced to give a lot of minutes to Bouillon because of his style of play and experience... so fighting for 1st in the NE sure is a great surprise for me.

I’ll be watching... Go Habs!

Old
02-04-2013, 01:40 PM
Help
Help Yourself

vCash: 50
No need to worry about the Bruins' toughness. The trick to beating them is not to play their game. Stand up for yourself, but don't take it too far and make it a full-blown confrontation, they feed on that

Old
02-04-2013, 01:44 PM
Knuckles30

Quote:
Scoring goals at even strength does equate to the differential of allowing goals at even strength and scoring them. I did not mention the latter.

In terms of scoring goals at Even-strength, that is the stat that measures scoring goals at even-stength in the absence of those allowed, the habs are middle of the pack.

The distinction is hard to grasp.
Montreal ranks 12th in 5v5 goals scored. Out of curiosity I ran the numbers for even strength goals per 60 minutes of even strength ice time (incl 4v4 and 3v3). Montreal ranks 9th, 5th in the Eastern Conference.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:46 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
The Boston-Montreal game will definitely be looked upon by Habs fans as Huge in the overall picture(Contender/Pretender).No matter what the outcome the team is playing way better than I expected and the hope here is they win playing Hab hockey. Regardless the Sabres will be looking for revenge after Saturday's game on Thursday, following the Bruins game Wednesday night.Boston hasn't played since Sat.they play the Habs on Wed.then they play Sat. against Tampa in Boston that's a pretty nice schedule for them when Tampa plays on the road against Phil./Tues.,NJ/Thurs. and Boston/Sat.So whatever happens Wed. I just want our team intact,no injuries or suspensions and focused on the real prize (Winning Hockey as a team)

Old
02-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Knuckles30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
We don't need to make any trades right now. I certainly hope we don't trade futures for players like Ryan Clowe (who we have no space for).
I agree to an extent, but if the opportunity arises to get a true #1 centre, I'm willing to go all-in. If DD, Beaulieu, and a 1st (or something similar) can get me a Backstrom or a Stastny, I think the Habs become true contenders.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:52 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
No need to worry about the Bruins' toughness. The trick to beating them is not to play their game. Stand up for yourself, but don't take it too far and make it a full-blown confrontation, they feed on that
I agree: the Canadiens should stick to their game plan but, with Therrien behind the bench, drawing the line, standing your ground and defending your teammates is part of the game plan. In fact, it does go further than that: our Habs are now a team that generates "physical contacts". I am almost convinced that Therrien will reinsert White in the lineup.

I also expect a verbal fight between Julien and Therrien!

Old
02-04-2013, 01:55 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckles30 View Post
I agree to an extent, but if the opportunity arises to get a true #1 centre, I'm willing to go all-in. If DD, Beaulieu, and a 1st (or something similar) can get me a Backstrom or a Stastny, I think the Habs become true contenders.
Statsny is no better than Plekanec, exspecially since he has been injured two years ago. He lost his #1 center job to O'Reilley last season and Duchesne is also superior.

Why waste assets ?

Galchenyuk gonna be our #1 centerman sooner rather than later and for years to come.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:02 PM
EveryDay

Quote:
Statsny is no better than Plekanec, exspecially since he has been injured two years ago. He lost his #1 center job to O'Reilley last season and Duchesne is also superior.

Why waste assets ?

Galchenyuk gonna be our #1 centerman sooner rather than later and for years to come.
I agree!!!! DO NOT WANT.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:05 PM
Knuckles30

Quote:

Why waste assets ?

I wholeheartedly agree with the bolded section, but to me a true cup contender needs another top flight C. I think Plekanec is a perfect 3rd line C on a cup contending team, capable of centering a line that not only shutdown the opposition but take the game to them. With smaller players like Gallagher and Gionta on the wings, I just don't see a future for DD at center on this team, as much as I like him.
A 1-2-3 punch of Galchenyuk, Stastny, Plekanec would be as good as any in the league. I think Stastny has better offensive game than Plekanec, and I think his decrease in point production has more to do with the wingers he's been getting then drop-off in his play (see Plekanec, Tomas - 2011/2012 season). If not Stastny, I still think we need a top flight offensive C to go with Galchenyuk.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:06 PM
habsrock76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
I agree: the Canadiens should stick to their game plan but, with Therrien behind the bench, drawing the line, standing your ground and defending your teammates is part of the game plan. In fact, it does go further than that: our Habs are now a team that generates "physical contacts". I am almost convinced that Therrien will reinsert White in the lineup.

I also expect a verbal fight between Julien and Therrien!
Regardelss of the toughness quotient White deserves to be in the line-up more then Armstrong.

Other then springing Gally on a breakaway last game Colby has contributed absolutely nothing in all the games he's played so far, at least White generates some chances.

Closed Thread