HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

If you were a GM, would you spend No1 overall pick for a russian prospect?

Old
02-04-2013, 01:34 PM
Luigi Lemieux

vCash: 500
Someone on Malkin's or Ovechkin's level would want to test themselves against the best in the world. Someone a little lower down might want to take the money and comfort, a la Radulov. I would make the pick no questions asked.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:37 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Bpa!

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:37 PM
ViD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post

The KHL only backed off it's vow to allow players with NHL contracts, to play in the KHL, after stars like Malkin/Ovie/Kovachuk rejected their offers and came back to the NHL.
That is false. KHL didn't offer any contracts to the above mentioned players. One of the reasons is that they didn't wanna piss off the NHL before Sochi Olympics

ViD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:41 PM
RollTheBones109

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebolarama View Post
Coming from a Leafs fans I'll consider that a compliment.

BTW, Seguin, Hamilton and Rask looked great the other night!
Leafs fans = Leafs GM.

coooooool

RollTheBones109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:41 PM
McDreamy
Losing credibility

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
I don't think Columbus would. Howson wasn't going to take Yakupov or Grigorenko according to the Dispatch right before the draft. If Murray was taken 1st overall, Howson was going to trade down and pick up a North American defenseman or someone like Forsberg, maybe Galchenyuk.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...ed-murray.html
And we all know how great a GM Howson is...

McDreamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:44 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchslap View Post
And we all know how great a GM Howson is...
I think it would have been the right move. Sure take BPA, but make sure that player will be here and producing for the foreseeable future.

Columbus has 4 Russian players but is rightfully scared of picking another Zherdev or Filatov.

There's obviously a bias for North American players. The KHL doesn't help that bias when it tries to secure talent for itself by extending offers to guys like Ovechkin and Kovalchuk. Unlike with the SEL or FEL which is seen largely as leagues that top NHL talents go to after they retire from the NHL, the KHL is an active competitor with the NHL. That fact can't be overlooked. If the KHL didn't try to keep top talent from coming over to the NHL, then I don't think there would be any issue (even if it is minor).

Not to say that the KHL shouldn't try to foster Russian talent within its own league. Just that it's one more thing to think about. When you have a really high draft pick, the less you have to think/worry about with a player the better. When you get down to #15 + you can begin to take chances on guys like Kuznetsov.

Last edited by Crede777: 02-04-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:44 PM
gifted88
Dante the poet

Assuming I've interviewed him and get the feeling he may or may not come over I'd trade down or select the next best player.

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:47 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
I would ice a team full of Russians and probably win the Cup rather easily. Truly shocked no team has attempted this considering how discounted they've become due to the "Russian Factor" BS.
it wouldnt be a factor if it dint hold true. GMs dont want to take the risk on some of those players. I dont think its that irrational.

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:50 PM
Robbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts View Post
Nail Yakupov (a Russian) was literally JUST drafted in the most recently held NHL Entry Draft
Your reading comprehension is terrible.

As for the topic, I'd rather have a Fedorov than a Malkin. So if it's a Malkin type, I'd trade down and pick up some extra assets and obtain a pick in the top 10 range.

Robbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:00 PM
Kshahdoo

Who cares, would they spend or not. There will always be the smartest amongst them. And then he'll get Tarasenko when others get Nino or McIlrath...

Kshahdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:02 PM
ViD

Jeez, guys, can you stop with these BS assumptions that KHL offered enormous contracts to the top Russian NHLers. It's all not true, they wouldn't risk right before Sochi

ViD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:09 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantbeatzPekka View Post
it wouldnt be a factor if it dint hold true. GMs dont want to take the risk on some of those players. I dont think its that irrational.
A room full of GM's and "experts" can still be wrong about players. We see great platers slip through the cracks all the time (Martin St. Louis immediately comes to mind over size concerns).

I would gladly ice a team with Tarasenko, Semin, and guys like Carter & Richards who are apparently problem players.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:13 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
I don't think Columbus would. Howson wasn't going to take Yakupov or Grigorenko according to the Dispatch right before the draft. If Murray was taken 1st overall, Howson was going to trade down and pick up a North American defenseman or someone like Forsberg, maybe Galchenyuk.
Honestly, I think that was legit BPA consideration, rather than anti-Russian fear.

(Anti-KHL fear, OTOH...)

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:13 PM
McDreamy
Losing credibility

vCash: 100
Quote:
I think it would have been the right move. Sure take BPA, but make sure that player will be here and producing for the foreseeable future.

Columbus has 4 Russian players but is rightfully scared of picking another Zherdev or Filatov.

There's obviously a bias for North American players. The KHL doesn't help that bias when it tries to secure talent for itself by extending offers to guys like Ovechkin and Kovalchuk. Unlike with the SEL or FEL which is seen largely as leagues that top NHL talents go to after they retire from the NHL, the KHL is an active competitor with the NHL. That fact can't be overlooked. If the KHL didn't try to keep top talent from coming over to the NHL, then I don't think there would be any issue (even if it is minor).

Not to say that the KHL shouldn't try to foster Russian talent within its own league. Just that it's one more thing to think about. When you have a really high draft pick, the less you have to think/worry about with a player the better. When you get down to #15 + you can begin to take chances on guys like Kuznetsov.
It's understandable based on the history of the CBJ I suppose. I still don't agree it's necessarily a good move. If you miss out on the chance of drafting a Russian like Malkin, that will be a move you look back on and regret big time.

And my dig at Howson shouldn't be taken too seriously, since Tambellini is the GM of my team.

McDreamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:31 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
That is false. KHL didn't offer any contracts to the above mentioned players. One of the reasons is that they didn't wanna piss off the NHL before Sochi Olympics
Bob McKenzie and Larry Brooks say otherwise.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:37 PM
dan1el

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts View Post
In each and every draft, you draft BEST PICK AVAILABLE.

I ignore nationality, my organizational strengths/weaknesses..etc and draft the best player based on their size, skill, and hockey acumen. If I deem a Russian player to be the best player in any given draft, I would draft them.

Contrary to popular belief, Russians are human beings too. Getting drafted #1 overall in an NHL Entry Draft is an outstanding achievement, even for a Russian. Someone tell me how many players have been drafted 1st overall and decided not to play in the NHL.. I think your list will look a lot like this:

nothing.
Don't draft the BPA because he deserves the personal achievement. If a Russian, or a Swede, or any European was miles better then any North American, and playing junior hockey in Europe, and it's doubtful that they will ever play on your team if you draft them, why draft them? Wasting a top pick on a maybe?

I'm a firm believer in drafting the BPA, nevermind nationality or teams needs. But never draft someone if there is a good chance they'll never play for you.

dan1el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:37 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
Someone on Malkin's or Ovechkin's level would want to test themselves against the best in the world. Someone a little lower down might want to take the money and comfort, a la Radulov. I would make the pick no questions asked.
I don't believe any of the youngsters in the 2013 draft, project to be at Malkin or Ovie's level.

Valery Nichushkin has signed a 3 yr deal with a KHL team. I haven't read anything about an out clause for the NHL.

If he's the BPA and your team is drafting top 10, do you use your pick on him, knowing he'll be in the KHL for at least 2 yrs ( possibly longer if he's successful and a deep pocketed KHL team, makes a push for him) ?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:24 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Yes in a heartbeat no questions asked if I believed he was the BPA.

IHaveNoCreativity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:25 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Only if he has crazy celly's.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:14 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchslap View Post
It's understandable based on the history of the CBJ I suppose. I still don't agree it's necessarily a good move. If you miss out on the chance of drafting a Russian like Malkin, that will be a move you look back on and regret big time.

And my dig at Howson shouldn't be taken too seriously, since Tambellini is the GM of my team.
I agree. I think St. Louis is extremely happy so many teams passed on Tarasenko.

That said, it is what it is. Even the "can't miss" Russians have an element of risk that others don't have. People can try to deny it, but players like Filatov who in the pre-draft interviews profess their undying commitment to North American hockey and then go back to the KHL anyways taint it. One could argue Columbus handled him poorly, but that was Hitchcock, the same guy who is currently handling Tarasenko.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:17 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

If they're not coming over for a while, it would be more difficult, but I'd still do it. That is, unless there's a North American player/European player with a desire to come over soon with similar skill.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:25 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichterBromont View Post
Your reading comprehension is terrible.

As for the topic, I'd rather have a Fedorov than a Malkin. So if it's a Malkin type, I'd trade down and pick up some extra assets and obtain a pick in the top 10 range.
You would turn down an MVP-calibre player, regardless of KHL situation, just because you prefer another playing style which isnt necessarily available? What?

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:47 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...ed-murray.html
Because Scott Howson and the Columbus Blue Jackets have such a great reputation for making the right picks and developing young players right?

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:05 PM
Riddum

I'd draft a whole team of Russians if they were the best.

Riddum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:06 PM
in on the beat

russians are soft.

5150 is offline   Reply With Quote