HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Emery wins: 3-2

Old
02-03-2013, 04:32 PM
BronYrAur

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
They were tired because they are out of shape, a bag skate puts them more in shape for later in the season. Being tired isn't an excuse in the NHL, when every pt is important, your players should be able to compete for every minute. I could understand if it was game 70, but this is game 9, you shouldn't be getting dominated by a team like Calgary no matter the circumstances. Rest can come later in the season when it is more needed.
This entire paragraph is ridiculous. Just stop.

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:59 PM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
They were tired because they are out of shape, a bag skate puts them more in shape for later in the season. Being tired isn't an excuse in the NHL, when every pt is important, your players should be able to compete for every minute. I could understand if it was game 70, but this is game 9, you shouldn't be getting dominated by a team like Calgary no matter the circumstances. Rest can come later in the season when it is more needed.
They have been tired for 3 games in a row now. I wouldn't bag skate them but I would sure have a heart to heart with the boys about their commitment to conditioning.

It's only 9 freakin' games and they are tired for 1/3rd of them? That is unacceptable.

The schedule doesn't really get any lighter so if they are lackluster after Sharks and Coyotes...time for the garbage can at the center dot and let 'er rip.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 05:29 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:

It was their 9th game in 15 days. It was their 3rd in 4 nights and they were playing on back-to-back nights. They've also been consistently traveling throughout these 9 games in 15 days.

I absolutely do not get some people with these "no excuses" ********. They got outplayed by Calgary because they've had very busy start to to the season, an extremely busy past 4 days and Calgary was sitting around for most of the week, playing 1 game in the past 6 days before facing Chicago.

They're not going to be at their best every night, but through the first 8 games, they've consistently outplayed every team they've faced, including Vancouver the night before facing Calgary.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 06:50 PM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
They have been tired for 3 games in a row now. I wouldn't bag skate them but I would sure have a heart to heart with the boys about their commitment to conditioning.

It's only 9 freakin' games and they are tired for 1/3rd of them? That is unacceptable.

The schedule doesn't really get any lighter so if they are lackluster after Sharks and Coyotes...time for the garbage can at the center dot and let 'er rip.
If Hawks were "tired" against Wild & Vancouver, then so were both of those teams. They were clearly better team against Van.

Please people....think.

Old
02-03-2013, 07:08 PM
RomersWorld*

Yes...the Hawks were so tired against the Canucks that they sucked in the beginning and dominated at the end. They somehow got more energy the more tired they got!!! Incredible!!

It is really a mystery...against the Wild they outshot them in the SECOND, THIRD, and OVERTIME and only got outshot in the 1st period. That tiredness is only there for one period and then it goes away!!!

It is weird because usually teams dominate every game, every period so this clearly explains the tired Hawks woes!

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:17 PM
BobbyJet

Flames were definitely at an advantage, being well rested and rather desperate to turn their poor start around. That is for sure.

However if Hawks look "tired" again in SJ then it is more than that. Our record doesn't reflect that after a great start, this team has been underperforming for most of the past 5 games.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:22 PM
Kurtosis
Patiently Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Flames were definitely at an advantage, being well rested and rather desperate to turn their poor start around. That is for sure.

However if Hawks look "tired" again in SJ then it is more than that. Our record doesn't reflect that after a great start, this team has been underperforming for most of the past 5 games.
I will give you Calgary and maybe Columbus, but I though they were clearly better than Minnesota and Vancouver and at least on on par with Detroit. Obviously Calgary took them to the woodshed last night.

Kurtosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:24 PM
Atomic Punk
Mean Streets

I am not worried at all. The only thing I am worried about is the PP I guess. But they have been on the road almost the whole season. That wears on you.

Atomic Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:30 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
I will give you Calgary and maybe Columbus, but I though they were clearly better than Minnesota and Vancouver and at least on on par with Detroit. Obviously Calgary took them to the woodshed last night.
Granted Wild and Canucks didn't look great either but because Hawks had a slight edge in the play doesn't necessarily mean they played well. They didn't.

Old
02-04-2013, 06:33 AM
clydesdale line

Slightly off topic, but this was one of Pat Foley's best called games I've heard in quite some time. Even Flames fans who were listening with whatever stream/channel loved him. He was outstanding.

clydesdale line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:36 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Hawks were tired. It was the 3rd game in 4 nights and it was the 2nd of the back to back games. That they weren't that tired against the Wild and Nucks seems to be logical, doesn't it?

SJ will be different

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:27 AM
Kurtosis
Patiently Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Granted Wild and Canucks didn't look great either but because Hawks had a slight edge in the play doesn't necessarily mean they played well. They didn't.
Relative to competition was more the along the lines I was getting at. They are only 9 games into a shortened season without a regular training camp to mitigate conditioning and synergy issues. Talk to me next month if the Hawks are still underperforming because the only team that I see firing on all cylinders is the Sharks and even they have been faltering a bit the last couple outings.

Kurtosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:35 AM
MadhouseOnMadison
Man crush on Amonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
SJ will be different
I hope so. If they come at SJ with the same effort as the last three games they'll get reamed.

MadhouseOnMadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:09 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post

It was their 9th game in 15 days. It was their 3rd in 4 nights and they were playing on back-to-back nights. They've also been consistently traveling throughout these 9 games in 15 days.

Maybe you missed the part that those shouldn't be excuses? Last year they played 3 in 4 nights, and back to back games on a tough schedule, and didn't look near as tired as they did against Calgary. Calgary is a **** team, they should of dominated them whether they were tired or not. Getting dominated like they did means they were more tired than they should of been.

The schedule isn't going to get much better, so they better get in shape now. But I guess the way some people treat it, it's OK to get dominated, because they are that tired after 9 whole games into the season. If I were a coach of a professional team, that wouldn't be acceptable in my eyes.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:25 AM
ChiHawk21

Quote:

Maybe you missed the part that those shouldn't be excuses? Last year they played 3 in 4 nights, and back to back games on a tough schedule, and didn't look near as tired as they did against Calgary. Calgary is a **** team, they should of dominated them whether they were tired or not. Getting dominated like they did means they were more tired than they should of been.

The schedule isn't going to get much better, so they better get in shape now. But I guess the way some people treat it, it's OK to get dominated, because they are that tired after 9 whole games into the season. If I were a coach of a professional team, that wouldn't be acceptable in my eyes.
This is rediculous...u agree they are exhausted right? why would it matter if it was acceptable at this point. Bag skating them would make them more tired and cost the team points. and no it wouldnt help them later in the year, they would burn out. You obviously havnt played hockey before.

Also calgary had played like 1 game in the past 6 days or somthing so they were fresh. and they arnt that bad.

ChiHawk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:26 AM
villain

Quote:

Miss the part of the broadcast when Foley explained this?

villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:34 AM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

Calgary was only playing their 6th game of the season while the Hawks were playing their 9th in just 15 days. That's a lot of hockey for our guys.

However, I was disappointed with the effort in Minnesota. The Wild were playing their 3rd game in 4 nights while the Hawks just had a 2 night break. That should have been a dominating performance by the Hawks.

Last edited by Ace Rothstein: 02-04-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Ace Rothstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:03 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiHawk21 View Post
This is rediculous...u agree they are exhausted right? why would it matter if it was acceptable at this point. Bag skating them would make them more tired and cost the team points. and no it wouldnt help them later in the year, they would burn out. You obviously havnt played hockey before.

Also calgary had played like 1 game in the past 6 days or somthing so they were fresh. and they arnt that bad.
Bag skating them would make them tired now, but would most definitely improve their conditioning right now too. I didn’t say bag skate them all year, yes, that would burn them out. But if you bag skate them on this trip, they will be in better shape for the end of the year, and can rest then.

I have played tons of hockey, and when we had a bad game where we looked flat or burned out, our coach would try to improve our conditioning. How do you improve conditioning? It’s not done by giving your team a rest at practice or taking days off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
However, I was disappointed with the effort in Minnesota. The Wild were playing their 3rd game in 4 nights while the Hawks just had a 2 night break. That should have been a dominating performance by the Hawks.
Bingo, Wild were playing 3 in 4 nights, so they should have been dead tired whereas the Hawks should have been completely rested, but the Wild put up a good fight and didn’t get nearly as dominated as the Hawks did against Calgary. If it was 50 games in and we had back to backs with 3 in 4 nights, being tired would be understandable. We are 9 games into the season and our guys are dead tired already? They are clearly not in shape 100%, and they should be.

What is the excuse going to be if CHI comes out flat against SJ? “THEY ARE TIRED!!! THEY JUST PLAYED 4 GAMES IN 7 NIGHTS!!!”, “ THEY JUST PLAYED 10 GAMES IN 18 NIGHTS!!!” The schedule isn’t getting any better. Get in shape now, and secure a spot in the top 4 for the playoffs, then take some rest before the real games start.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:06 AM
BobbyJet

Every team in the league is in essence playing itself into shape, hence when you draw such a tough schedule players are in a “bag skate” most nights until the conditioning and timing return. Q has played the game long enough to know what the team needs between games and getting into true game shape doesn’t happen overnight. A bag skate would just make things worse – I doubt we’ll see any teams employing such in this condensed sschedule.
The players need to rest and rejuvenate for Tuesday, when it will be SJ who is playing in back to back games…. And they have played as much as Hawks have. If Hawks play their game, like what we saw early in the season, they should dominate by the time the 3rd period comes around. I accentuate should. (It didn’t happen against Wild)

Old
02-04-2013, 10:15 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

with all this talk, you would think the Hawks were in last place or something.

I have to admit, they looked like garbage against the Flames. but the tough trip, getting in at 3am, construction outside the hotel starting at 7:30am definitely played into it.

Also, Calgary has some solid depth, I thought they would be junk this year, but actually I think by the end they will be fighting for a playoff spot as they have enough solid depth and skill to make the playoffs. They are not an easy team to play overall. filled with experienced grinders and grit.

The Hawks have the most damn points in the NHL right now. some people need to just relax and enjoy things right now. we are still winning games and getting points despite our power play flopping, our offense sputtering, and playing a ton on the road. obviously we need to improve things as the season goes, but come on people this team is winning pretty or not...and thats what matters at the end of the day.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:30 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Bag skating them would make them tired now, but would most definitely improve their conditioning right now too. I didn’t say bag skate them all year, yes, that would burn them out. But if you bag skate them on this trip, they will be in better shape for the end of the year, and can rest then.
How dumb. This isn't a regular season, you can't burn your guys out in a practice when they are playing every other night. They've also played 7 road games already (out of 9 total games) and have 3 more coming up this week.

The Hawks had a bad game against Calgary, I don't see why everyone is saying that they are out of shape all of a sudden. Every year, every team has a few games where they just look flat. Has it been so long since hockey was played that people have forgotten this?

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:40 AM
BobbyJet

All this talk about lost face-offs. Well here’s more: Losing them has a snow ball effect and often affects the entire flow of the game. These losses at the dot have contributed to Hawks not being able to play the possession game that they thrive on… and chasing the opps all night is much more difficult and often results in penalties. It got worse as the game went on against the Flames and came to a pinnacle in the 3rd period when Hawk players were obviously spent.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:56 AM
MadhouseOnMadison
Man crush on Amonte

Calgary does not have a bad team. Their record does not reflect their talent at all and they've been giving us problems ever since our team was gutted a few years ago.

Our guys might have been tired but I just think the Flames were ready for us. Luckily our guys have that "never say die" attitude that we haven't seen since the 08-09/09-10 teams.

Somebody here mentioned that our current team reminded them a lot of the 08-09 team. I couldn't agree more.

MadhouseOnMadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:13 AM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadhouseOnMadison View Post
Calgary does not have a bad team. Their record does not reflect their talent at all and they've been giving us problems ever since our team was gutted a few years ago.

Our guys might have been tired but I just think the Flames were ready for us. Luckily our guys have that "never say die" attitude that we haven't seen since the 08-09/09-10 teams.

Somebody here mentioned that our current team reminded them a lot of the 08-09 team. I couldn't agree more.
Agreed with you until you said that.

In 2011 they came back from 3-to-none and took Game 7 to OT, after scoring in last 2 minutes of hockey game. Had terrible regular season and went on a tear to secure playoff spot after incurring a lot of injuries and getting Turco'd.

Last year they had a couple insane, last-second comebacks against Phoenix to send games to OT. The team has come up with some crazy last-second goals for a while now. Probably just talent and randomness.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:51 PM
BVicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadhouseOnMadison View Post

Flames fan coming in peace. You are right, Calgary gets no credit and their record does not speak of their depth. We only had 4 of our top 6 in the lineup for the first 3 games. And we are outplaying and out shooting every team so far. But we have found ways to lose these games.

Big ups to emery tho, he played outstanding

BVicious is offline   Reply With Quote