HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do we need a heavyweight enforcer...

View Poll Results: Should the Habs claim Darcy Hordichuk on waivers?
Yes 21 33.87%
No 41 66.13%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2013, 06:04 PM
Beatnik

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
At this point we might as well trade Eller for a goon. If someone is going to sit in the pressbox 75% of the time it might as well be someone who won't get messed up for it. So yeah, if that's the alternative **** it, why not.

You forgot the

Old
02-02-2013, 06:07 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
The fights happened during the regular season but it served all year for character-building. And when the Bruins faced teams they were not intimidated by anybody while other teams feared them. I actually think if they would have beat the Habs easier if they would have been more physical. But in the first series they were too afraid to take penalties. Wich is an issue with Julien.
So then none, right?

The answer is zero fights. There were zero fights for the Bruins en route to their Stanley Cup championship.

Old
02-02-2013, 06:10 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
At this point we might as well trade Eller for a goon. If someone is going to sit in the pressbox 75% of the time it might as well be someone who won't get messed up for it. So yeah, if that's the alternative **** it, why not.
No to Eller. He will figure it out, I'm confident.
I wish I was as confident about other little Habs (LL for one).

Old
02-02-2013, 06:14 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Its not that we are becoming Boston. Its that we need to become the Montreal Canadiens who would win Stanley Cups.

The last team to do that had Ewen, Odelein, Roberge, Keane, Stevenson.
Todd Ewen played 1 playoff game and had nothing to do with the team winning the Cup.

Mario Roberge played 3 playoff games and was a total non-factor.

Ewen and Roberge combined for zero penalty minutes during their brief playoff appearances that Spring.

Turner Stevenson played one single NHL game that season and zero in the playoffs.

Why you think that Mike Keane was a fighter is totally beyond me.

Old
02-02-2013, 06:45 PM
hockeyrules123

Quote:
Originally Posted by idk View Post
The problem with saying "we need a goon for when we play physical teams like Boston" is two fold. First off, it means we deny a roster spot to a talent player in favour of a knuckle dragger who is severely limited in the ice time he can carry. And secondly it doesn't provide that much protection, because once one of the Bruins neutralizes our big guy and forces him to take a five minute time out the Bruins can still ice an entire line of thugs.

The thing with the Bruins is that they are built to play that gritty, beat-em-up and knock their teeth out style game. Sure they have players who are less skilled and more goonish - Thornton, Cambell and McQuaid. But they also have skilled guys who are just as physical - Lucic is a legitimate second line winger in the league, and Chara is a perennial Norris candidate. Almost everyone on that roster is willing to fight.

And there's nothing we can do about it. Frankly there's nothing we should do about it. When the Habs play the Bruins you can tell how the game is going to go by how our players react to the Bruins. If we try and prove ourselves by playing their game we get beat. If we play our game - relying on skill and drive and letting them take stupid penalties - we win.

Let's face it - there's no one in the league right now who can go out and beat Chara one on one. There's only a handful that can trade with a guy like Lucic. So why even engage in that kind of foolishness. Let them take a penalty and our PP be our revenge.
Great comment. The main thing is to react if our smaller guys and/or our goalie gets pushed around. That they can do. Prust won't back up to anyone and as you said no team in the league has someone to stand up to Chara, except Scott but Chara won't get into this.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:04 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
What was Martin suppose to do? Send who to fight? Gainey build that smurf team. And I will never understand how a guy, who was tough to play against and played on teams with the greatest of mix of skills and toughness didn't believe in building one himself.
I don't want to blame Gainey all the time (too easy and many here love spending their time being angry at Gainey)...time to move on and forgive (will make ourselves feel better too!). People here are always forgiving Markov's fragile body/constant injuries and how we have to wait 3 1/2 years for him so why not forgive Gainey...fair enough. Gainey should have (somehow?) taken a year off when he lost his daughter...may she R.I.P. Gainey was a winner for our Habs as our captain and he did well with Dallas as a GM (Cup)...and with us there were some good moves/good times (ex: Conference Finals) and some bad luck/mistakes...we're all human. I wish Gainey all the best and still thank him for trying 'cause you know he wanted to help our Habs...like GM Bergevin the CH will always be in Gainey's heart/soul. Right now hockey is not a priority for Gainey and I don't blame him. Mr. Gainey has some healing to do and hope the Gainey family is staying strong and together.

And yes I'm very very happy for healthy-for-once-Markov + our Habs right now...just hope Markov stays healthy and is not a sitting duck out there...he has to protect himself + watch his back at all times...and he's got to deliver the goods in playoffs for once...VERY VERY happy for our HEALTHY Habs right now).

My reaction (past post) about our Habs getting beaten up/bullied all the time by the Bruins when we'd beat them was out of frustration from seeing that all the time. Would love to see a Scott play only against teams like the Bruins (two-way contract?)...maybe not even to fight but to make sure (police) the Bruins stay away from bullying/beating us up whenever we beat them (which is often). For them to win the Cup...they had to remove Pacioretty by almost killing him (Chara's obvious revenge and the NHL just laughed at it by not removing Chara for the rest of the season+playoffs (a lengthy suspension would have been fair since Pacioretty had to miss the rest of the season + playoffs and of course...almost crippled Pacioretty for life. (**** Chara and the Bruins for cheating to win a Cup...and screw that Commisioner/replacement who didn't have the guts to do the right thing...suspend Chara for the rest of the season + playoffs.

We beat the Bruins = they injure us, beat us up.
(what the **** is up with that? NHL can't do anything? I don't want this happening anymore).

I'm assuming maybe coach Martin could have maybe begged/asked Gainey for a Staubitz or someone like that so we'd have at least a Staubitz, White and Moen (all together) to watch Thornton and Lucic and Chara. 'Cause you know ****ing Claude Julien is just sending these goons 'cause our Habs are leading 3-1 or 4-1. We needed a Staubitz or something like him so that guys like Tom Pyatt wouldn't get beaten up. Didn't like seeing Pyatt all bloodied up 'cause he never did anything to anyone (and was a solid PKer for our Habs).

Anyways...this is in the past.
We have to be prepared...'cause you know ****ing Claude Julien is a sore loser since he just goons it up whenever he loses by 2 goals. ****ing NHL culture (Cherry style). Until the NHL changes...we need a Scott against the Bruins, unless Therrien uses White....Prust....Armstrong....Moen ALL TOGETHER (well...3 out of 4!) VS a Lucic and Thornton and/or Chara. Time for us to gang up against these Bruin goons so they have no choice but to play hockey against us and that's it. Win or lose...no injuring, no bullying, no trying to kill/violently injure our players (Pacioretty).

Still...I'm glad we have more guts and grit this season (thanks to Bergevin and Therrien's requirements for some grit and toughness since other teams like the Bruins are doing it):
Prust...White...Armstrong...Moen...Bouillon...can all play and fight. The'yre all warriors (and hopefully Armstrong gives clean bodychecks so as to avoid retaliation to our star players).

A huge/tall Scott is great (two-way contract...15-20 games max. out of 82) 'cause he can take anyone on the Bruins or just be a police that is there to protect in case of anything...
Or...whenever they put Chara, Lucic, Thornton...we put White, Armstrong, Prust out there...as simple as that. Not even to fight but to show them that we won't be pushed around. We'll let the Galchenyuks/Gallaghers VS Seguins/Bergerons play actual real hockey instread of Don Cherry UFC violent goon hockey.

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 02-04-2013 at 05:15 AM.
Old
02-04-2013, 04:52 AM
DAChampion

My impersonation of this thread:

"What if Milan Lucic injures Markov?"

"Then we make them pay on the power play."

Old
02-04-2013, 05:27 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

one of the last times Markov injured himself, it was on Price's skate... maybe we should hire someone to beatup Carey or something ?

Old
02-04-2013, 10:16 AM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

***** mentality.really soft

Old
02-04-2013, 10:33 AM
Corncob

What happens if Milan Lucic injures Markov and we've got a 6"7 hulking liability sitting on the bench?

Old
02-04-2013, 02:06 PM
Maxpac

Well son of a *****.... Rupp is traded to Minnesota. That was THE enforcer to get, good player and doesn't look baf against anybody.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:09 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Todd Ewen played 1 playoff game and had nothing to do with the team winning the Cup.

Mario Roberge played 3 playoff games and was a total non-factor.

Ewen and Roberge combined for zero penalty minutes during their brief playoff appearances that Spring.

Turner Stevenson played one single NHL game that season and zero in the playoffs.

Why you think that Mike Keane was a fighter is totally beyond me.
Roberge was a huge factor in the Nordique serie. He changed the momentum.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:15 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Well son of a *****.... Rupp is traded to Minnesota. That was THE enforcer to get, good player and doesn't look baf against anybody.
He's lost a huge step this year apparently. Rangers fans have been bashing him for quite a while, and apparently, he showed up slower than ever this year.

I'm all for replacing Armstrong with a tough customer, but Rupp wasn't the right one.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Roberge was a huge factor in the Nordique serie. He changed the momentum.
His post wasn't even worth replying too. There's a big difference between regular season hockey ad playoff hockey. The players approach the game differently and every decision with or without the puck has 10x the impact. If you can't see the difference, you're either uneducated about the sport or really naïve.

And why is it only in Montreal that the team can't adapt to the team they play against or the period of the season where they're at?

Old
02-04-2013, 02:49 PM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
He's lost a huge step this year apparently. Rangers fans have been bashing him for quite a while, and apparently, he showed up slower than ever this year.

I'm all for replacing Armstrong with a tough customer, but Rupp wasn't the right one.
Yes, Rupp slowed down alot....Maybe the Wild will put Kassian on waivers

Old
02-04-2013, 02:52 PM
Habtchum*

Bordeleau in Colorado would be an interesting option. Maybe they would take Kaberle off our hands ?

Old
02-04-2013, 02:57 PM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
Bordeleau in Colorado would be an interesting option. Maybe they would take Kaberle off our hands ?
Don't talk about Bordeleau here, 90% of peoples will tell you that he can't skate just because is 6"5 and 240lbs even if they don't know who it is

Old
02-04-2013, 03:08 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
Don't talk about Bordeleau here, 90% of peoples will tell you that he can't skate just because is 6"5 and 240lbs even if they don't know who it is
I've seen this guy play in the AHL a couple of times. My opinion is that he's a plug no matter how you slice it. I'm all for some toughness and an heavyweight, but it has to be the right fit. This job is a tough one and we need a guy that is going to actually help this team.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:13 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
I've seen this guy play in the AHL a couple of times. My opinion is that he's a plug no matter how you slice it. I'm all for some toughness and an heavyweight, but it has to be the right fit. This job is a tough one and we need a guy that is going to actually help this team.
How many heavyweights/enforcer can actually do their job + play regular on a line and every game ?

You can count them with on one hand's fingers.

As a #13 forward, no problem with a guy like Bordeleau who has been dressed the whole 8 games so far in Colorado.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:25 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
How many heavyweights/enforcer can actually do their job + play regular on a line and every game ?

You can count them with on one hand's fingers.

As a #13 forward, no problem with a guy like Bordeleau who has been dressed the whole 8 games so far in Colorado.
I'm not the biggest fan of having an HW just for the sake of having one. These guys have to fit your team and play a role each game. Bordeleau is doing so for Colorado simply because they have nobody else to slot in there. You want a Shawn Thornton (who's the best in that role, no matter how bad he looked against John Scott)? You want a guy like Clowe who can play on the top 6 and draw against a guy like Georges Parros? Good. Go for it. I'm 100% behind it. Like I would for a guy like Boll. Or a guy like Chris Stewart. Or a 30 years old Jamal Mayers. Hell, even Janssen has experience and at least knows what it takes to stay in this league.

But Bordeleau is not a guy I'd put in that category at this point. He has no upside whatsoever and is a complete liability anywhere on the ice. He can't play a regular shift, that's for sure. And there are much more attractive options if you're looking for a guy that can't play hockey to fill your lineup.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
I'm not the biggest fan of having an HW just for the sake of having one. These guys have to fit your team and play a role each game. Bordeleau is doing so for Colorado simply because they have nobody else to slot in there. You want a Shawn Thornton (who's the best in that role, no matter how bad he looked against John Scott)? You want a guy like Clowe who can play on the top 6 and draw against a guy like Georges Parros? Good. Go for it. I'm 100% behind it. Like I would for a guy like Boll. Or a guy like Stewart. Or a 30 years old Jamal Mayers. Hell, even Janssen has experience and at least knows what it takes to stay in this league.

But Bordeleau is not a guy I'd put in that category at this point. He has no upside whatsoever and is a complete liability anywhere on the ice. He can't play a regular shift, that's for sure. And there are much more attractive options if you're looking for a guy that can't play hockey to fill your lineup.
It took years for Habs to get a guy like Prust. For years they have passed on the opportunity to get Ian Laperrière who was UFA twice and would had killed to play for the Habs. Guys with leadership, character, grit and pride.

Neil in Ottawa is perfect. Thornton in Boston is solid.
You won't find many Ryan Clowe around the league. I like Wayne Simmonds a lot too. Just tyry getting them now ...

In today's hockey, it is easier to get a very good goalie than a productive, gritty enforcer.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:36 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsieur View Post
Bring back Laraque! HE'S THE SOLUTION!

Ah yeah!

Old
02-04-2013, 03:40 PM
ChoseLa

Janssen has lost a step apparently, Devils fans were saying he's not NHL material anymore.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:47 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Rupp...he's lost a huge step this year apparently. Rangers fans have been bashing him for quite a while, and apparently, he showed up slower than ever this year.

I haven't seen Armstrong deliver many of those trademark BIG/HUGE bodychecks he used to deliver when he was a Leaf or Trasher, but...Wednesday could be a huge test for Armstrong.

IF Boston throws huge hits against our star players...Armstrong should throw huge hits towards Seguin, Marchand, Bergeron,etc...
IF Boston messes with our star players...IF.

Other than that...Armstrong has not been messing up anything (giveaways,etc) and he's part of a team that has been winning so it looks good for him and his CV.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:12 PM
Et le But

If a team like the Rangers, who have been celebrating their new found toughness over the past few years thinks Rupp is past it, what does that tell you? Rupp used to be solid, but a Rupp having lost a step..

Last edited by Et le But: 02-04-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Closed Thread