HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Non-Ownership Thread: Who Cares Edition

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2013, 12:48 PM
Naurutger

vCash: 1454
I dont see Glendale going over $6 million a year now. And the rumors are that they will bid out the whole thing in pieces. I think it will be one group can bid on concessions, one on arena management, one on the hockey operations....something like that. I think it will be a way to keep the buyer of the Coyotes out of getting the arena manager's position...it gives an opportunity for the new council's buddies (Monarch Group) a chance for a big fat paycheck to produce 2 events a year (possibly the full $6 million they kept pegging during last year's council meetings).

I am being negative here. The old Ice Edge group once did an interview and they said the value of the Coyotes was something like $90 million if it includes a long-term lease in Glendale. No way they will pay full price and no way Glendale will give them a large annual sum. I hope it works out though.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:02 PM
XX
He's a good guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
I dont see Glendale going over $6 million a year now. And the rumors are that they will bid out the whole thing in pieces.
No management group worth two ***** will want to be a part of that fiasco. If true, this is over. I hope Glendale burns.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:15 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTippett View Post
the problem is that new Mayor is going to want to exert muscle and put his rubber stamp on this deal, he will want to distinguish himself from his predecessor, see look Glendale your knight in armor swooped in an got you a better deal. Thats why there was zero chance of him extending the terms of the old deal.
I think it's more about what 99% of the politicians want, their palms greased. He'll be looking for the best kick-backs he can get. That's why I pray this Calgary guy comes in and just buys the whole thing, arena and team. If I never have to see or hear the name of a Glendale politician again, it will be too soon. The last mayor going senile and flip-flopping all over the place was bad enough. Now we have this joker and the situation is getting worse.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:17 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
I dont see Glendale going over $6 million a year now. And the rumors are that they will bid out the whole thing in pieces. I think it will be one group can bid on concessions, one on arena management, one on the hockey operations....something like that. I think it will be a way to keep the buyer of the Coyotes out of getting the arena manager's position...it gives an opportunity for the new council's buddies (Monarch Group) a chance for a big fat paycheck to produce 2 events a year (possibly the full $6 million they kept pegging during last year's council meetings).
My, my. The picture painted here seems equal parts bleak and impossible. Maybe an ECHL team agrees to this for a few years before the entire thing collapses, and all parties go belly up.

02-04-2013, 01:19 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoAZ View Post
That's why I pray this Calgary guy comes in and just buys the whole thing, arena and team.
That's quite a tall order in the prayer department, I would think. Right up there with an end to world hunger and the suffering of mankind.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:23 PM
Mosby
Howl On

Someone mentioned that, Coyotes games aside, Jobing.com has just 9 events booked for the next year. That's just pathetic. Yes, they're competing against US Airways for concerts, other events, etc., but that argument goes out the window when you've spent $220M to build the arena in the first place. That kind of investment is on par with any other City's arena. For example, Toronto's ACC is booked up almost every night of the year. Yes, Toronto is a much larger than Glendale and the ACC is the central facility (no US Airways to compete with), but again, they've spent $220M where the goal is to draw these events.

I don't see how you can spend $220M (closer to $280M when inflated 2013 dollars) and then not throw a few million at it each year to further invest in it. A $220M, Coyotes-less, empty Jobing.com Arena looks pretty stupid. The City of Glendale bought a Hummer and then complained about the price of gas.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:05 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...r-coyotes.html

Quote:
Weiers, who was sworn in last month along with three other City Council members, said the deal was too costly for the city that is considering layoffs of police, fire and other employees.

“When someone calls 911, they don’t want a Zamboni to show up; they want a firetruck or a police car to show up,” he said.

see people the incompetency that exists on that council, we replaced one imbecile for another that has a trove of dead animals hanging from his offices wall. This will never get done, Weiers wants to be a savior of Glendale now and he will negotiate this in public and its going to piss off buyers.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:10 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Let's talk a little bit about the idea of a guy like Bill Gallacher. What are some reasons why he might like to buy the Phoenix Coyotes and keep them in Glendale for at least five seasons?

I guess the easy one is that he wants to own an NHL team and this is his only current option to join the club. So if we accept that, what would be the reason why he would want that five year lease we've talked about? To relocate the team to another market for a profit in five years? Would the NHL allow him to do that? Wouldn't the NHL want some assurances before selling to a guy who's got a short term lease negotiated with the City? So basically, he's not going to sneak that by anybody. The NHL will have to agree up front that he'll have the right to relocate in five years. Is there any good reason why the NHL would agree to such a thing?

I'm just trying to get a picture painted in my head where this Gallacher rumor makes sense. It's bound to take a couple or a few years at the very least for this team to make significant strides in revenue generation, right? Any new owner is looking at taking a hit for the short-term, isn't he? Haven't we mostly agreed on that?

I guess what I'm driving at, is I'd like to be able to put myself in a guy like Gallacher's shoes and see from his standpoint why this is a good idea for him to explore.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:14 PM
Naurutger

Could Bill Gallacher Save the Phoenix Coyotes?

http://www.fiveforhowling.com/2013/2...hoenix-coyotes

Cool little blurb.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:15 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

BTW I was keeping the Monopoly Bankruptcy Coyote man as my avatar for the past 3+ years as an omen or good luck charm, and planed on changing it when the sale closed. But after 3 years of that , **** it. I'm changing the avitar,

Old
02-04-2013, 02:20 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...r-coyotes.html

see people the incompetency that exists on that council, we replaced one imbecile for another that has a trove of dead animals hanging from his offices wall. This will never get done, Weiers wants to be a savior of Glendale now and he will negotiate this in public and its going to piss off buyers.
That has to be one of the dumbest quotes I've read in sometime. What a moron.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:24 PM
XX
He's a good guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I guess what I'm driving at, is I'd like to be able to put myself in a guy like Gallacher's shoes and see from his standpoint why this is a good idea for him to explore.
Seattle isn't ready. NHL has handshake agreements with Markham and QC, but has an owner in Seattle who wants a team in the future. They need to buy time, without it seeming obvious. They also need someone to take a legit shot at making the Coyotes work. Enter Gallacher, who gets assurances by the NHL the Coyotes will be portable and there will be a buyer in 5 years. He makes a go of it in Phoenix. Expansion to QC and Markham puts the fanbase at ease, thinking all is safe.

The NHL gets:
- A chance to negotiate with QC and Markham without hiding the Coyotes behind their back.
They want to save the relocation for Seattle or Portland, who need a team to hit the ground running. Canadians will watch anything
- Grooms a new billionaire entrant into the old boys club

- Gets to sit in front of Edmonton, Calgary and anyone else who needs a new arena and point at the great lengths they went to prevent the city from losing on its investment

- A chance to figure out if Phoenix will work with the right conditions.
Possibly a chance that the Suns/ASU/Tribes or some combination thereof express interest in a new arena, letting the NHL ditch the Glendale circus and get on the right side of town
- Doesn't suffer the negative optics of letting another team run off to Canada

Gallacher gets to play around with an NHL team for 5 years or so, and can sell it or move it if he wants. Likely a promise that the NHL won't charge him further relocation fees if he does so, to make the surefire losses in Phoenix more palatable.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Mosby
Howl On

The league already lost of hundreds of millions of dollars when they used Winnipeg as a relocation market, as opposed to expansion. They can't pass up those dollars a second time with QC or Toronto 2.0. As XX mentioned, Canadians will pay for any team. It's better to give new American markets a competitive team.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:46 PM
XX
He's a good guy

I'd also add that throwing a bone to the owners in the form of all those nice expansion fees, not shared with the players, plus a sweet bump in revenue would buy Bettman more support for his pet projects like Phoenix. I really think that, at the end of the day, Winnipeg was a last resort. A convenient out. ASG really put a gun to the NHL's head and made them take away the team. It's well documented that ASG didn't want the Thrashers and purposefully ran the team into the ground. Winnipeg was the only option. Send the Coyotes to Winnipeg, and the NHL is stuck with the same situation in Atlanta.

I don't pretend to know what Phoenix means to the NHL and Bettman. We can make educated guesses, based on things like the need to demonstrate support for publicly financed facilities, but beyond that it's a crap shoot. Adding to the complexity of the situation is the fact that the NHL has unlimited power. They can choose any number of options, from folding the team in the offseason to giving it away for free to anyone who wants to take a shot, and everything in-between.

Weiers isn't making this easy. I'd almost prefer Scruggs to still be there. This guy is a phony, and would probably let the team relocate without any protest for a few million dollars.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:33 PM
_Del_

vCash: 50
Quote:
Let's talk a little bit about the idea of a guy like Bill Gallacher. What are some reasons why he might like to buy the Phoenix Coyotes and keep them in Glendale for at least five seasons?
He wants a team, and doesn't seem to care which one. He can buy this one cheaper than anyother (even including the bogus operating expenses for the last several years added into the sales price). In return the league quietly agrees that in five years he can relocate and move to a better market where a franchise might be worth even more (ATL to WPG increased franchise value some 22%) while avoiding those pesky expansion fees. NHL is made whole, and can wash their hands of it. First they claim victory "saving" the team, and then in five years everyone can say "Well, we tried".
League wins in optics over immediate relocation following sale, and Gallacher gets his team under market value.

I think the league's preference all things being equal is to keep the team in AZ. But things aren't equal. The league also apparently wants all the operating costs over the last three years recouped in full more than it wants the team here. There has been noone with real money willing to invest it in keeping the team here on terms agreeable to both the league and the city. I think hockey could work here if we had a decent product and a stable ownership group that could market worth half a damn. But we don't and haven't. And I'm not sure that if I had a couple hundred million lying around that I'd be willing to bet it, so I can't blame anyone for passing on the opportunity.
I think if the Gallacher rumours come to anything, it will just be a detour on the team's way out of town. The league will take the five years as a tax for Gallacher getting his team wherever he sets it up. And they'll enjoy not having to talk or think about it for five years.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:59 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

do we have a confirmed report that this guy Gallacher is interested? b/c from what i can tell we have a blog post where someone openly speculated he would possibly be interested.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:03 PM
Naurutger

Quote:
do we have a confirmed report that this guy Gallacher is interested? b/c from what i can tell we have a blog post where someone openly speculated he would possibly be interested.
I think it started as a tweet from some reporter up north and then Craig Morgan with FSN wrote a piece on it. But it is still speculation; but no denials yet. The question is on how we have heard there are 2 other parties. The names we have heard is that dude from the old Ice Edge, Jim Treliving (spelling), and Gallacher. So that is 3 names to match into the 2 Glendale has stated.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:19 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Quote:
That's quite a tall order in the prayer department, I would think. Right up there with an end to world hunger and the suffering of mankind.
Well if you're going to pray for divine intervention, might as well go big.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:31 PM
Tom Polakis
Go Sabres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Mosby View Post
Someone mentioned that, Coyotes games aside, Jobing.com has just 9 events booked for the next year. That's just pathetic.
Are 6 of the 9 upcoming events Bon Jovi concerts? I don't think I have gone to a Coyotes game since they moved to Jobing.com in which I haven't had to sit through Bon Jovi ads. At least it was fun watching the ads when Rammstein was coming last year, and my buddy and I could scowl at each other while we attack an air guitar.

I'd think that any venue of that size is sunk without a big-league sports team in place. Are there any examples to the contrary in the U.S.?

Old
02-04-2013, 04:49 PM
Brodie
pretty on fleek

mull this one over for me, guys... Gallacher has been working toward getting a team for the past two years. Why is he just now getting into the Coyotes game? The asking price is $50 million below what he bid for the Stars and probably the Devils as well and the subsidy from Glendale made the team a lot more appealing than either of those. Am I right in thinking something doesn't totally add up here?

Old
02-04-2013, 05:00 PM
XX
He's a good guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Why is he just now getting into the Coyotes game?
The popular thought is that he was a major part of Jamison's bid. If he wasn't, he didn't really have an avenue of approach until Jamison's group flamed out. GJ also did a lot of the grunt work in getting the sales tax initiative and the lease negotiated. It's also possible that the NHL went back to their Rolodex of potential owners and pulled him out. Too early to tell if it's genuine or a smokescreen.

Old
02-04-2013, 05:02 PM
_Del_

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie
Why is he just now getting into the Coyotes game? The asking price is $50 million below what he bid for the Stars and probably the Devils as well and the subsidy from Glendale made the team a lot more appealing than either of those.
Probably because the team is only worth ≈$130M and the NHL still wants $170M. The Stars at $220M are much better value than the Coyotes at $170M.

Old
02-04-2013, 05:05 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

or as we have seen buyers come and go, capital markets and the general economy have substantially improved. You see all kinds of asset classes inflating, meanwhile you have this franchise thats maintained a relatively stagnate value over the course of the past three seasons, to a savy and smart investor this franchise purchase is an awful lot better a value now than three years ago. The on-ice success over the course of the past three seasons have helped to make this franchise [for the right price] a little more desirable an asset than it was this time three years ago. I think at this time $130m is low, $170m is probably above fair market value.

Old
02-04-2013, 05:25 PM
kihekah19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
mull this one over for me, guys... Gallacher has been working toward getting a team for the past two years. Why is he just now getting into the Coyotes game? The asking price is $50 million below what he bid for the Stars and probably the Devils as well and the subsidy from Glendale made the team a lot more appealing than either of those. Am I right in thinking something doesn't totally add up here?
You're 100% correct. Unfortunately, there is realistically a 1% chance of the team finding legitimate new ownership and staying in the valley.

What does add up is three years of playoff appearances, the last of which sees the boys go all the way to the conferance finals and the attendeance still adding up to ZILCH. The idiots of the valley have spoken and they can't seem to support the greatest game on earth.

Fortunately 1% is still a chance, however remote.

Old
02-04-2013, 05:33 PM
Mosby
Howl On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Polakis View Post
Are 6 of the 9 upcoming events Bon Jovi concerts? I don't think I have gone to a Coyotes game since they moved to Jobing.com in which I haven't had to sit through Bon Jovi ads. At least it was fun watching the ads when Rammstein was coming last year, and my buddy and I could scowl at each other while we attack an air guitar.

I'd think that any venue of that size is sunk without a big-league sports team in place. Are there any examples to the contrary in the U.S.?
Haha, there is definitely a Bon Jovi concert on the calendar. The other events are two Taylor Swift concerts, a show by The Who, and a 5-day high school basketball tourney.

Other potential ownership names I've seen floating around, in addition to the ones already mentioned in this thread, includes the second coming of Matt Hulsizer as well as Oren Koules.

Closed Thread