HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers trade Rupp to Wild for Darroll Powe and Nick Palmieri

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-04-2013, 02:08 PM
  #176
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessThisMess513 View Post
Can't wait for the hat trick Rupp's gonna score within the first 5 games of him playing there.
He's already scored a hat trick against the Rangers at MSG. Don't tell me he's gonna do it again!

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:09 PM
  #177
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,823
vCash: 2749
**** yes!

__________________
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:09 PM
  #178
tlallstar6
Registered User
 
tlallstar6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,353
vCash: 1312
Send a message via AIM to tlallstar6
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNashty View Post
Rupp will score within his first 4 games as a part of the Minnesota Wild. It's just what ex-rangers do.
He would be a lock to score against us if it was a full season

tlallstar6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:09 PM
  #179
MrEctions
Willy Nilly
 
MrEctions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clinton, Ny
Country: United States
Posts: 4,477
vCash: 500
So happy for this. Nick P grew up in my hometown and Im very very good family friends with him and his family. Already talked to his father and Nick is ecstatic to get a shot to prove himself in the Rangers organization. He absolutely hated Houston. Big body, has some nice skill, really rooting for him to do well in Hartford. This could be the real steal in this trade, imo. Nick definitely has the skill to play in the NHL.

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:12 PM
  #180
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEctions View Post
So happy for this. Nick P grew up in my hometown and Im very very good family friends with him and his family. Already talked to his father and Nick is ecstatic to get a shot to prove himself in the Rangers organization. He absolutely hated Houston. Big body, has some nice skill, really rooting for him to do well in Hartford. This could be the real steal in this trade, imo. Nick definitely has the skill to play in the NHL.
Is that the reason he held out? Was he disappointed in getting dealt to Minnesota?

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:19 PM
  #181
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
Palmieri could be intriguing and it will be interesting to see how things go with him here. Powe I like and I'm glad to be rid of Rupp's molasses skates.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:20 PM
  #182
BBKers
Registered User
 
BBKers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: South Koster, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,698
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
if Rupp scores a hat trick against us in Minny this year - we lose the Columbus 3rd round pick
Get off the ledge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BBKers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:24 PM
  #183
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
LOL why did MN do this? Very happy with the deal, and I've always liked Rupp...
Parise got his wish?

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:24 PM
  #184
MrEctions
Willy Nilly
 
MrEctions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clinton, Ny
Country: United States
Posts: 4,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Is that the reason he held out? Was he disappointed in getting dealt to Minnesota?
Extremely dissapointed. Houston is not a great hockey market at all. He hated being down there and he is a true blue Northeast kid. Im not trying to make excuses for him but I literally just got off the phone with his father and he is ecstatic to be heading back to the NE and Hartford. Im telling ya, he's gonna come in a bust his ass to make it in NY. My uncle coached him growing up and was the one who got him into Prep after his 9th grade year. If he puts it together he's the best part of this deal, imo. Some might say Im biased in saying that, but I know the skill he has. When he was in Jersey he looed good, and then the coaching change with Deboer happened, and for whatever reason Nick said him and Pete never got along. He was always chastised for one mistake until it got to a point where they gave up on him. NJ fans think it was laziness, but that couldnt be further from the truth.

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:26 PM
  #185
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP
 
poeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,590
vCash: 500
Im a fan of the Wild franchise...As a normal hockey enthusiast, I cant help but root for a small town diehard hockey fanbase like Minny

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:26 PM
  #186
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,209
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sousuffer View Post
I like the deal, but I also disagree with anyone that thinks Palmieri will ever be anything more than an AHL player for us. I watch a lot of Devils games, and he was a complete non-factor for them in almost every game he played in. If Lou Lamoriello dumped him as a young, inexpensive "prospect" on a team that went to the finals, then I doubt he'll turn it around on his third team (he held out of Wild camp this season as well). Lou always gives young guys a shot when he believes in them and Palmieri just doesn't get it. Granted, the Devils acquired Marek Zidlicky (who helped the Devils a ton) for him last year, but Zidlicky was not cheap and was asking out of Minnesota. I believe DeBoer's quote about Palmieri was "This was a guy I pretty handed a top-six forward job to off the bat and he slowly worked himself out of that." Granted, Powe is interesting.
It's troubling that the guy has the label of "lazy" attached to him, but he clearly has some skills. PDB wouldn't have handed him a top six spot unless that was the case. You have to just hope that a change of scenery gets the kid going. He's an upstate boy as I understand it, so maybe he thrives being closer to home.

I agree that no one should count on him becoming an NHL regular, but nor would I write him off. And hey, at worst you get a fine player for Hartford.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:32 PM
  #187
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,863
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
It's troubling that the guy has the label of "lazy" attached to him, but he clearly has some skills. PDB wouldn't have handed him a top six spot unless that was the case. You have to just hope that a change of scenery gets the kid going. He's an upstate boy as I understand it, so maybe he thrives being closer to home.

I agree that no one should count on him becoming an NHL regular, but nor would I write him off. And hey, at worst you get a fine player for Hartford.
Troubling also if not getting along with the coach and hating the city you're playing in had such an impact.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:32 PM
  #188
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEctions View Post
Extremely dissapointed. Houston is not a great hockey market at all. He hated being down there and he is a true blue Northeast kid. Im not trying to make excuses for him but I literally just got off the phone with his father and he is ecstatic to be heading back to the NE and Hartford. Im telling ya, he's gonna come in a bust his ass to make it in NY. My uncle coached him growing up and was the one who got him into Prep after his 9th grade year. If he puts it together he's the best part of this deal, imo. Some might say Im biased in saying that, but I know the skill he has. When he was in Jersey he looed good, and then the coaching change with Deboer happened, and for whatever reason Nick said him and Pete never got along. He was always chastised for one mistake until it got to a point where they gave up on him. NJ fans think it was laziness, but that couldnt be further from the truth.
Thanks for the info! I hope he works out. He seems like the perfect player for a Torts system with his size and style of play. Just needs to put his head down and work and he will get his shot.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:34 PM
  #189
MrEctions
Willy Nilly
 
MrEctions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clinton, Ny
Country: United States
Posts: 4,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
It's troubling that the guy has the label of "lazy" attached to him, but he clearly has some skills. PDB wouldn't have handed him a top six spot unless that was the case. You have to just hope that a change of scenery gets the kid going. He's an upstate boy as I understand it, so maybe he thrives being closer to home.

I agree that no one should count on him becoming an NHL regular, but nor would I write him off. And hey, at worst you get a fine player for Hartford.
Absolutely. Im not saying hes gonna be a star or anything. But he can be a very serviceable 3 rd line player down the road and pot some goals. In 43 games I think in 2010-2011 he had 9g 7a for the Devils. His father said Nick knows to get a shot he has to bust his ass in Hartford, and understands what Torts looks for on the big club. I just get the feeling his whole attitude has changed now that hes closer to home and back up North. Hes an Upsate(more Central) NY kid. Hartford will be a good place for him to get back to work. He has some great size as well, weighing in around 225. I should be getting a chance to talk to Nick either tonight or tomorrow, when I do Ill fill you guys in on what he's feeling personally.

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:34 PM
  #190
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug
 
Fire Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 19,808
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
how does Sather pull this off?

Powe alone is better than Rupp, depth in Palmeri hucked in deal as well.

Fire Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:36 PM
  #191
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,910
vCash: 500
To get rid of some lumbering salary and term, upgrade on-ice with an NHL ready player - AND add a young player with some upside and skill -

I dont know how you cant like this deal.

Slats does it again.

Still think the Rangers need another forward and D-man, but you upgrade the team when you can.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:37 PM
  #192
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,919
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
how does Sather pull this off?

Powe alone is better than Rupp, depth in Palmeri hucked in deal as well.
18 months ago Rupp was considered one of the top bottom 6 players out there. Its why he got paid the same as Taylor Pyatt.

If Min thinks he can pull out of his poor form, it makes sense. They're solid defensively as it is.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:38 PM
  #193
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEctions View Post
Absolutely. Im not saying hes gonna be a star or anything. But he can be a very serviceable 3 rd line player down the road and pot some goals. In 43 games I think in 2010-2011 he had 9g 7a for the Devils. His father said Nick knows to get a shot he has to bust his ass in Hartford, and understands what Torts looks for on the big club. I just get the feeling his whole attitude has changed now that hes closer to home and back up North. Hes an Upsate(more Central) NY kid. Hartford will be a good place for him to get back to work. He has some great size as well, weighing in around 225. I should be getting a chance to talk to Nick either tonight or tomorrow, when I do Ill fill you guys in on what he's feeling personally.
Thanks for this, how do you know him and his family?

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:41 PM
  #194
slipknottin
Registered User
 
slipknottin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 2,865
vCash: 500
With Masher getting called up, Palmieri has a more defined role on the whale now. He could be the heavy and keep the load off McIlrath

slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:42 PM
  #195
MrEctions
Willy Nilly
 
MrEctions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clinton, Ny
Country: United States
Posts: 4,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Thanks for this, how do you know him and his family?
Well I grew up about .5 miles from him. Albeit hes 8 years my junior, but my uncle coached the local HS team for around 8 years, winning 4 state championships. Nick was on the team as a freshman, and my uncle basically said as much as Id love to have you here you need to move on, you're too good to stay. My uncle having played semi pro for years, has a lot of NE hockey connections and sent him off to Cathedral Prep in Erie. My mom and dad had know his parents as its a very small town (Clinton, NY). I have brothers around his age etc. Just a small town where everyone knows everyone kind of thing. But being my family is such a big hockey family in the area made the connections inevitable.

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:43 PM
  #196
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,863
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
With Masher getting called up, Palmieri has a more defined role on the whale now. He could be the heavy and keep the load off McIlrath
Palmieri isn't really a fighter, at least hasn't been in the NHL.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:47 PM
  #197
slipknottin
Registered User
 
slipknottin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 2,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Palmieri isn't really a fighter, at least hasn't been in the NHL.
Good thing he is in the ahl.

Seems like he averages a penalty minute a game so far.

Probably doesnt need to fight all that much, Mash only had a couple while he was on the whale. But as long as he can play physical and be productive he will get a shot.

slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:48 PM
  #198
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
With Masher getting called up, Palmieri has a more defined role on the whale now. He could be the heavy and keep the load off McIlrath
Not that type of player. He is someone who can drop the gloves, but doesn't all the time. Big, strong kid though.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:52 PM
  #199
sousuffer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Troubling also if not getting along with the coach and hating the city you're playing in had such an impact.
Exactly this...there are a lot of people who would kill to play for the Houston AHL affiliate and have a chance to get called up to play for the Wild. It does make you wonder a bit about his priorities (or at least his makeup). Not to mention, I happen to think DeBoer is an excellent coach and I would lean towards blaming the player in that situation for not making more of an effort to make it work.

I remember an interview with Giants coach Tom Coughlin - they asked him about the common excuse when a coach has been around one team for a long time that "sometimes the players reach a point where they need to hear the message from someone new". His response (paraphrasing): "I don't believe in that - sometimes the coaches reach a point where the people listening to the message need to be changed as well...so instead you surround yourself with people who won't get tired of listening to your message and keep tweaking so that it's always fresh to someone".

Palmieri has already ruined his reputation in New Jersey and Minnesota - I think he basically has one more shot (most because he IS that talented), but I wouldn't count on him making it happen, especially since GM Lou's specialty is evaluating hockey character. Heck, even got Kovalchuk to drink the Devils Kool-Aid.

sousuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:52 PM
  #200
MrEctions
Willy Nilly
 
MrEctions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clinton, Ny
Country: United States
Posts: 4,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Not that type of player. He is someone who can drop the gloves, but doesn't all the time. Big, strong kid though.
I know when he was in Jersey he was always put in front of the net for the screen. Got a few tip ins by being in the trenches. Hes able to hold his own with the gloves off but youre right he doesnt do it often. His dad says hes been working on his board play, and getting more edge in his game, which lends itself well to what Torts likes to see. He certainly has the size do get it done and hes got decent footspeed.

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.