HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Best feeling in the world

Old
02-03-2013, 07:12 PM
esidebill

vCash: 500
Best feeling in the world

So I don't have many people to brag about this to in person, but the best thing ever happened today. I'd been using a pair of RBK 12Ks and they started killing my feet. The tongue started digging into my ankle and it hurt. So I decided enough was enough.

Fast forward. After a final skate session with my RBKs, I decided I was in the market for new skates. I went to my hockey store and looked around at a couple of skates. It's been impossible to find a good fitting skate because of my depth needs. I'd heard that the GRAF 570 had a nice depth and they had them in stock. I tried them on, laced them up. Not impressed. It was another sad defeat for me, until I saw another skate that I'd heard of having a deep fit. GRAF 709s. In my size. 9W. The only pair left. $299.00.

So I put them on and man am I a believer. These were so comfortable out of the box, I can't even describe it. I almost cried after finding out what a good skate should fit like. They passed the pencil test, the heel was so snugly locked in, no hot spots. It was like they were custom made just for me. I looked at the employee and threw my debit card at him. Can't wait to skate on these.

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 09:27 PM
IDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by esidebill View Post
So I don't have many people to brag about this to in person, but the best thing ever happened today. I'd been using a pair of RBK 12Ks and they started killing my feet. The tongue started digging into my ankle and it hurt. So I decided enough was enough.

Fast forward. After a final skate session with my RBKs, I decided I was in the market for new skates. I went to my hockey store and looked around at a couple of skates. It's been impossible to find a good fitting skate because of my depth needs. I'd heard that the GRAF 570 had a nice depth and they had them in stock. I tried them on, laced them up. Not impressed. It was another sad defeat for me, until I saw another skate that I'd heard of having a deep fit. GRAF 709s. In my size. 9W. The only pair left. $299.00.

So I put them on and man am I a believer. These were so comfortable out of the box, I can't even describe it. I almost cried after finding out what a good skate should fit like. They passed the pencil test, the heel was so snugly locked in, no hot spots. It was like they were custom made just for me. I looked at the employee and threw my debit card at him. Can't wait to skate on these.
never used graf skates before but from what ive been told, there is a bit of a adjustment on the ice....i guess it feels like your a bit "on your tip toes" or "hunched forward"....but either way im sure you will adjust just fine and congrats on the new skates

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:24 PM
rbarker26

Quote:
Originally Posted by esidebill View Post

glad you found great skates for you. imo, skates are the most important equipment piece, it is vital to find the "perfect" skate

rbarker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:09 PM
nystromshairstylist
Puck control master

Sorry I did not see your query in the stickied thread earlier, not on this forum that often...

IMO, Graf may not have the flashy graphics, most advanced materials, lightest skates or latest trendy features - but when it comes to comfort and overall fit - they are incomparable.

I wear the G70s (bought a second pair after searching the planet when I found this style was discontinued...(Graf are you listening, re-instate them, they are an amazing skate!!!) and consider them to be the best quality hockey product I have purchased. Could skate in them all day and all night.

Graf is like Apple and Mercedes, a higher price for much better quality. And no I don't work for them, I just use their skates (just came back from an open hockey as a matter of fact).

Anyway, glad to see you've discovered what a great skate they make.

Last edited by nystromshairstylist: 02-03-2013 at 11:22 PM.
nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:09 AM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
Sorry I did not see your query in the stickied thread earlier, not on this forum that often...

IMO, Graf may not have the flashy graphics, most advanced materials, lightest skates or latest trendy features - but when it comes to comfort and overall fit - they are incomparable.

I wear the G70s (bought a second pair after searching the planet when I found this style was discontinued...(Graf are you listening, re-instate them, they are an amazing skate!!!) and consider them to be the best quality hockey product I have purchased. Could skate in them all day and all night.

Graf is like Apple and Mercedes, a higher price for much better quality. And no I don't work for them, I just use their skates (just came back from an open hockey as a matter of fact).

Anyway, glad to see you've discovered what a great skate they make.
i'm gonna preface with what i say with the fact that i currently wear g35's as they are simply the best fit for my foot. i do wish they were a touch stiffer in the ankles, but nothing comes close in regards to fit for me.

that being said, if you know anything about graf's qc history, or at least graf canada, you'd know the bolded is simply laughable. they are known to have THE worst quality control in the industry. or at least were known for that prior to the arrival of claude lemieux. the jury is still out with the "new" graf.

although i'm satisfied with my skates and they seem to be structurally sound, the build quality leaves much to be desired compared to my ill fitting bauers and reeboks before them. heck, i could even include my eastons as having better build quality and the share(d) the same dubious reputation. they are notorious for having holder alignment issues leading to breakage along with numerous outsole and sloppy glue application issues. i've also heard some not too complimentary things as far as the inner working of the ankle foams as well from skate repairers who've re-lined or added foam due to wear or custom work. if you read about their history with many on msh, a lot of people left graf completely due to these issues. i hold no ill-will towards any company and will use whatever fits my needs/body the best, but wish the qc was up to par with other skates i've had.

trust me, this reputation is years in the making, going back to when i first quit playing nearly 14 years ago, to when i rediscovered the game 4 years ago.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:00 AM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
Graf is like Apple and Mercedes, a higher price for much better quality.
Higher price for a niche market more like. They are quality, no doubt, but they're not 'better' than the others. They don't have one or two generic fits like other brands so they can't just mass produce a couple lines. More time spent on more skate fits and technologies = more money.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:35 PM
hockeymass

Graf does have a lot of different fits, but that doesn't mean that they are the best choice for everyone.

I will agree that a well-fitting pair of skates is an awesome feeling. My CCMs are perfect on my feet.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote