HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phil Kessel Discussion Thread. (no goals as of Feb 4, 2013)

View Poll Results: kessel goals, 15 over or under, this year
over 86 51.50%
under 81 48.50%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
I think the book is out of kessel. The defenders and goalies know he rarely drives the net and so now they are not fooled by his perimeter shots.
Its similar in nature to say how opponents used to defend Kaberle on Leafs PP, knowing full well his tendency is to pass.

Teams particularly goalies know that they need to be more prepared for long range laser beams coming from the perimeter, and not get surprised as often as they did in the past. The angle and advantage is huge for the goalie to make the save as the odds are extremely in his favor based on where the shot is coming from no matter how hard its coming at you.

A leopard never changes its spots so there is a high percentage that Kessel will continue to fire from the outside and not suddenly change his MO and drive the net or crash the crease looking for rebounds while taking the abuse that goes with the territory.

Even players know Kessel's game as a SI poll among his own piers named him the easiest intimidated player in the game today. Perimeter shooting is expected from those players that prefer to avoid contact as a result. Its too bad really because if it were not the case he could be a far more dangerous and effective player on a regular basis, particularly against big physical teams in which he currently struggles to compete against.

02-04-2013, 01:23 PM
mapleleaf979

When Kessel was traded from Boston to Toronto, I read NESN sports pages to get a full perspective on this trade. One thing I will never forget is a David Krejci quote from an interview regarding PHil Kessel. He said that if u hit and play Kessel physical, "he quits".

Kessel has become very predictable, skate hard down the wing and fire a 30 foot wrist shot. The predictable part is reminding me of Jason Blake. He did the same thing, hard down the wing and take a low percentage shot that isnt fooling anyone. The thing is, why does he continue to do that. Kessel at times comes across as a spoiled brat, talking to himself and barking at his team-mates. I'll be fine if he is traded in the next year.

The Leafs have gaping holes at the #1 center and cornerstone defenseman spots. Boston fleeced us on that KEssel Deal. SEguin is the #1 center the LEafs would love to have, and Dougie Hamilton is going to be a future stud, with an incredibly diverse tool set. This trade still bothers me. The biggest mistake Burke made was thinking this team was not a bottom feeder and instead of a mid round pick, gave #2 and #9. Two studs for a one dimensional player who is spoiled.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:33 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 1 - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
When Kessel was traded from Boston to Toronto, I read NESN sports pages to get a full perspective on this trade. One thing I will never forget is a David Krejci quote from an interview regarding PHil Kessel. He said that if u hit and play Kessel physical, "he quits".

Kessel has become very predictable, skate hard down the wing and fire a 30 foot wrist shot. The predictable part is reminding me of Jason Blake. He did the same thing, hard down the wing and take a low percentage shot that isnt fooling anyone. The thing is, why does he continue to do that. Kessel at times comes across as a spoiled brat, talking to himself and barking at his team-mates. I'll be fine if he is traded in the next year.

The Leafs have gaping holes at the #1 center and cornerstone defenseman spots. Boston fleeced us on that KEssel Deal. SEguin is the #1 center the LEafs would love to have, and Dougie Hamilton is going to be a future stud, with an incredibly diverse tool set. This trade still bothers me. The biggest mistake Burke made was thinking this team was not a bottom feeder and instead of a mid round pick, gave #2 and #9. Two studs for a one dimensional player who is spoiled.
Krejci never said that.

Kessel is nothing like Jason Blake.

Your entire post is garbage.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:37 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Krejci never said that.

lol well said

Old
02-04-2013, 02:03 PM
Superstar

Quote:

Show me all his 130 plus goals from the last 4 seasons where he simply skated down the wing and fired a shot from 30 feet.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:05 PM
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Its similar in nature to say how opponents used to defend Kaberle on Leafs PP, knowing full well his tendency is to pass.

Teams particularly goalies know that they need to be more prepared for long range laser beams coming from the perimeter, and not get surprised as often as they did in the past. The angle and advantage is huge for the goalie to make the save as the odds are extremely in his favor based on where the shot is coming from no matter how hard its coming at you.

A leopard never changes its spots so there is a high percentage that Kessel will continue to fire from the outside and not suddenly change his MO and drive the net or crash the crease looking for rebounds while taking the abuse that goes with the territory.

Even players know Kessel's game as a SI poll among his own piers named him the easiest intimidated player in the game today. Perimeter shooting is expected from those players that prefer to avoid contact as a result. Its too bad really because if it were not the case he could be a far more dangerous and effective player on a regular basis, particularly against big physical teams in which he currently struggles to compete against.
He's simply in slump.

How do you score 30 plus goals 4 seasons straight when you've been figured out?

Old
02-04-2013, 02:13 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Jason Blake was an accident on wheels. Skating and skating and then firing the puck perfectly at the goalies's chest. He had no awareness of the game or his team mates. He had the worst shot selection I've ever seen.

Kessel is a much better player.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:17 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Krejci never said that.

Krejci did say that, I read it. I dont care if u dont want to believe it, Ignorant.

Blake and KEssel are predictable players.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
He's simply in slump.

How do you score 30 plus goals 4 seasons straight when you've been figured out?
Scott Gomez was an all-star, and fell into the same trap as Kessel - he became too much of a perimiter player.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:23 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Krejci never said that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
lol well said
WILMINGTON, Mass. -- Boston Bruins forward David Krejci may have trouble chewing his food right now, but he’s ready to take a huge bite out of the Toronto Maple Leafs and former teammate Phil Kessel on Thursday night at TD Garden.

Krejci had one wisdom tooth removed, along with a couple of other teeth, on Monday and needed to miss practice. He was back on the ice Tuesday and Wednesday at Ristuccia Arena and will be ready for the 5-2-1 Maple Leafs.

He said it’s been a little difficult to eat, but he’s fine. Even skating hasn’t been an issue with the wind getting into his mouth.

“It doesn’t feel that bad, actually,” he said. “I feel pretty good.”

As far as facing his former teammate again, Krejci is focusing on his own game.

“[Kessel’s] having a pretty good start,” Krejci said. “Hopefully we’ll make it hard on him, and make him want to quit and hope he has a bad game, so we can focus on our own game.”

Kessel has 7 goals and 2 assists for 9 points in 8 games for the Maple Leafs this season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/bruin...me/phil-kessel

Old
02-04-2013, 02:28 PM
Kbs

Quote:
WILMINGTON, Mass. -- Boston Bruins forward David Krejci may have trouble chewing his food right now, but he’s ready to take a huge bite out of the Toronto Maple Leafs and former teammate Phil Kessel on Thursday night at TD Garden.

Krejci had one wisdom tooth removed, along with a couple of other teeth, on Monday and needed to miss practice. He was back on the ice Tuesday and Wednesday at Ristuccia Arena and will be ready for the 5-2-1 Maple Leafs.

He said it’s been a little difficult to eat, but he’s fine. Even skating hasn’t been an issue with the wind getting into his mouth.

“[Kessel’s] having a pretty good start,” Krejci said. “Hopefully we’ll make it hard on him, and make him want to quit and hope he has a bad game, so we can focus on our own game.”

Kessel has 7 goals and 2 assists for 9 points in 8 games for the Maple Leafs this season.

Where does it say Kessel quits? All I see is Krejci saying they'll play physical in hopes that he'll quit. Two different things.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Paladin2799

IMHO the biggest problem with kessel is his unbelievable tendency to shoot the puck from the outside edge of the circle on the rush, through 2 defensemen, no screen, and just turn the puck over to the goaltender and lose possession.

It happens 3-5 times a game, and frankly kills ALL the offensive gains of his line when he does that. He needs to be taught to maintain puck possession, curl back, dump the puck, etc.

I understand he has a wicked shot, but its soo telegraphed. The goaltender just comes out a foot and cuts it down to next to nothing.

Its no suprise that kessel has no goals when his line rarely keeps the puck in the offensive zone.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Krejci never said that.

Krecji did say that.

Kessel has been taking Perimeter Shots just like Blake

His entire post was good and well thought-out.

Quote:

This is no secret. I can recount several games versus the Rangers, Bruins, and of course the Capitals this year, where Kessel completely shut down because the other team was hitting them.

But I guess some people know more than an actual former teammate of Kessel's, how he plays.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:31 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbs View Post
Where does it say Kessel quits? All I see is Krejci saying they'll play physical in hopes that he'll quit. Two different things.
U can split hairs with the other 2 posters above. U guys clearly dont get it. Watch the Leafs play and watch Kessel and how he deals with hitting. His former team-mate used the word "quit" and thats how Kessel deals with Physical play. He wants none of it.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:31 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbs View Post
Right where you bolded.

Krecji and the rest of the Bruins know how to eliminate Kessel from being an effective player on the ice. Hit him.

I saw Chara not only making Kessel wet himself, skating to the other side, but it looks like he was chirping his perimeter shot from nearly the blue line.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:32 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
Krecji did say that.

Kessel has been taking Perimeter Shots just like Blake

His entire post was good and well thought-out.

This is no secret. I can recount several games versus the Rangers, Bruins, and of course the Capitals this year, where Kessel completely shut down because the other team was hitting them.

But I guess some people know more than an actual former teammate of Kessel's, how he plays.
Agree. Id add the Flyers to that mix as well.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:34 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin2799 View Post
Its no suprise that kessel has no goals when his line rarely keeps the puck in the offensive zone.
Well that, coincidentally, is largely Kessel's own fault because he chooses not to engage in board battles, instead hovering around waiting for the others to do the work and get him a pass.

It's basically 3 on 2 in the offensive zone because Kessel is a floater who isn't interested in forechecking, cycling, battling, or competing whatsoever.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:36 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Well that, coincidentally, is largely Kessel's own fault because he chooses not to engage in board battles, instead hovering around waiting for the others to do the work and get him a pass.

It's basically 3 on 2 in the offensive zone because Kessel is a floater who isn't interested in forechecking, cycling, battling, or competing whatsoever.
Completely agree. Does Kessel think he is fooling people when he purposely slows down going into the corner so the Dman gets the puck and he can avoid taking a hit. Its so frustrating to watch how SOFT he is. Good riddance to him. Kessel battle and board work are pathetic. Its no coincedence his ex team-mates know exactly how to make Kessel look like a 4th liner. U hit him and he will whine and slash like a spoiled brat. U hit Kessel and he has this "why me" facial expression.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Paladin2799

Quote:

I concur, I just think a lot of the problem is him just dumping pucks to the enemy.

its time to move kessel.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:38 PM
ITM

Quote:

You wrote:
Quote:
One thing I will never forget is a David Krejci quote from an interview regarding PHil Kessel. He said that if u hit and play Kessel physical, "he quits".
Is it another article other than the one you've selected, bolded and posted that you're thinking of perhaps?

The difference between, "He quits" and "Hopefully we'll make it hard on him, and make him want to quit and hope he has a bad game," is a galaxy apart.

This feels like an exercise in perception between the various camps in Leafs Nation. Some certainly fit facts into their conclusions, don't they...

Old
02-04-2013, 02:39 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Completely agree. Does Kessel think he is fooling people when he purposely slows down going into the corner so the Dman gets the puck and he can avoid taking a hit. Its so frustrating to watch how SOFT he is. Good riddance to him.
Cowardly is the nicest way of putting it, if you ask me.

One thing is for sure. The Bruins did get better by erasing Kessel from existence and adding Horton.

I see no reason why it wouldn't work for us either.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:41 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 1 - 1

Quote:

Maybe English isn't your 1st language but that doesn't say he quits.

No question Kessel doesn't like contact, doesn't mean he quits. You should watch him this year, he's been fantastic.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:42 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Cowardly is the nicest way of putting it, if you ask me.

One thing is for sure. The Bruins did get better by erasing Kessel from existence and adding Horton.

I see no reason why it wouldn't work for us either.
Yes and the Stanley Cup is proof of that. U get rid of a young sniper and dont skip a beat at all, because he hurts u with his lack of battles and Kessel is so easily intimidated. Playoff hockey get violent, that doesnt mesh well with Kessel, in fact he completely checks out. Kessel doesnt want to work if the puck isnt on his stick his mentality is "u go get me the puck".

Old
02-04-2013, 02:44 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITM View Post
The difference between, "He quits" and "Hopefully we'll make it hard on him, and make him want to quit and hope he has a bad game," is a galaxy apart
A professional way of saying, "If we hit him, he will quit on his team (like he did with us)"

There's many quotes out there like this by his former team mates.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:45 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Maybe English isn't your 1st language but that doesn't say he quits.

No question Kessel doesn't like contact, doesn't mean he quits. You should watch him this year, he's been fantastic.
Get your head out of your .... U should watch him too with your Leaf Koolaid. Quit is a strong word and speaks volumes. U can twist and reject it all u want. Quit is often reserved for soft European players of years past. When a ex team-mates mentions it, it speaks volumes.

Closed Thread