HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: AVES vs STARES - 7PM MST

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2013, 01:34 PM
kento19
@kento19

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher6 View Post
This is the first team I think we're "supposed" to beat. Dallas' defense is not very good.

Therefore I think we will lose. 4-3 Stars in OT, Loui Eriksson with a hat trick and the OT winner since he seems to destroy us, atleast recently
I think we were supposed to beat Columbus and Calgary.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:35 PM
S3rkie

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
Don't forget Columbus. They were supposed to go 0-48 this year.

I still think we'll win this one on the shoulders of Varly, Duchene, EJ, and PAP. Sound familiar?

4-1 Avs, Sgarbossa, Duchene, McPing, Stastny(EN) with the goals. PAP with 2 Apples.
ugh im gonna dance like crazy if pirate gets his first geno. Im so excited for that kid

Old
02-04-2013, 01:47 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
Why on earth is Quinn not our defensive coach? I thought that was his background?
I'm pretty sure he does. I sat behind the bench Saturday and he was with the defensemen and sending them out.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:00 PM
S3rkie

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
I'm pretty sure he does. I sat behind the bench Saturday and he was with the defensemen and sending them out.
huh I was listening to the podcast the other night with all the bloggers and dater and they said that quinn was the primary assistant with the earpiece and army was handling the D. Figured they would know being media involved with the team and all, but I could be wrong, I never really pay attention to the bench during broadcasts.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:04 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Quinn does have the headpiece in but Army sticks by the forwards.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:13 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

I think both Quinn and Army have head pieces. At least they had in a game earlier this year.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:21 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
Would love to, but it doesn't have an HDMI port. Not sure if my tv has a monitor port thingy on it. Don't think I have a monitor cable anyway.

Funniest part of it, is the sole purpose I bought a laptop was to plug it into my television. Went for a specific model with an hdmi port. The sales guy talked me into a model above it, which was better in every aspect...got it home and realized this one didn't have an HDMI.
Ha, good sales man. You can check and see if Radioshack has a to HDMI converter.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:45 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekento19 View Post
nobody got my ryder/morrow reference. How quickly do we forget.
I remembered. I was a part of that chain of posts.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:53 PM
the_fan

So who's getting injured in this game?

And why isn't there a injury poll before each game? Would be a fun thing to do.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:55 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
So who's getting injured in this game?
It's now the turn of the Goalies or the coaches, so I would guess Army gets hit by an errant puck.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:06 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Old
02-04-2013, 03:07 PM
TatteredTornNFrayed
ocelot spleens, ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsman View Post
For some reason when I read this it was with a Russian accent in my head.
Ryan, is that you?

Old
02-04-2013, 03:08 PM
Avs71

It was funny last game hearing the Oilers' commentators talk about Hunwick-Johnson as a good shutdown pairing. They also got some praise in this article.
Quote:
Erik Johnson and Matt Hunwick had a dominant game as a D pairing, faring well against the RNH line and basically every other matchup vs the Oilers (with the notable exception of Hemsky being +3 against Johnson).
This really puts the defensive matchups into perspective. Hunwick and Johnson had amazing games, along with the Duchene line. They drove the bus vs the Oilers, and it’s not surprising that they hit the scoresheet as well.

Hopefully this continues. No surprise to see that O'Byrne/Zanon were outshot. Hopefully we don't see that pairing again. edit: I see that will be the pairing. Hopefully they only play roughly 15 minutes.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:24 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Hunwick is playing well but I still think he's playing too much. He also gets exposed on the PK because he gets pushed around too easily and can't clear the front of the net.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:29 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

I think we're going to get rocked.

5-2 Stars.

(We will win 3-1)

Old
02-04-2013, 03:36 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Someone should try to explain this Corsi stuff to me because whenever I look at it I just don't know what I'm looking at. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough. Or I'm an idiot. The shots for/against is easy enough.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:42 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Hunwick is playing well but I still think he's playing too much. He also gets exposed on the PK because he gets pushed around too easily and can't clear the front of the net.
ALL of our D-men are playing too much, unfortunately. Pretty much the story of the blueline corps since the departure of Rob Blake.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:47 PM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

vCash: 400
Quote:
Someone should try to explain this Corsi stuff to me because whenever I look at it I just don't know what I'm looking at. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough. Or I'm an idiot. The shots for/against is easy enough.
It appears as though they take your shots for and subtract the shots against, and that is your Corsi. So if you are out there and the team gets more shots against than you do for, it is assumed by some that you are an inferior defender. Zone starts and quality of competition are needed to really make it useful. All these stats are good for people that don't watch the games or want to prove to other people that their opinion is right. Hmmmm, maybe I should start using advanced stats to back my arguments.......

Old
02-04-2013, 03:48 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Corsi basically is just that. Shots for and shots against when you're on the ice. It's supposed to signify puck possession but it's quite flawed for many reasons.

First is obviously zone starts. O'Byrne and Zanon start most of their shifts in the defensive zone. That leads to shots against.

Secondly, we have no way of valuing quality of shots. Part of the reason Landeskog is a Corsi god is that he takes a lot of low percentage shots. I don't mind him doing that, but quite a few of them are shots just to go on a line change. Compare with Eberle who only shoots when he's in close in a good spot. His shots are 'worth' more Landeskog shots, since they have a completely different approach to shooting.

On one level Corsi/zone starts and all these things are interesting but they aren't the Rosetta Stone of hockey, unlocking a perfect understanding of the game. Sadly many followers of advanced hockey stats lack a basic understanding of how stats work so they tend to get carried away with them.

I like stats, but I think watching games tells you much more about teams and players. You never get context when just looking at stats.

/rant over.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:55 PM
Landeslog

Bold prediction: Avs pp goal

Old
02-04-2013, 04:09 PM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

vCash: 400

Old
02-04-2013, 04:13 PM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

4-3 Stars. Benn scores all 4 and RoR still waits for a bigger contract than Benn.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:13 PM
TheStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondeROY View Post
It's on NBCSN for me, in the states though so I'm assuming you don't have that channel.
Well I don't have Cable at all, but because this is on TSN, it's blacked out from gamecentre. I can get around the blackout on my computer just not on my xbox app which is what I need to watch it on my television.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:16 PM
TheStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
It's now the turn of the Goalies or the coaches, so I would guess Army gets hit by an errant puck.
Please be Sacco, please be Sacco.

Out indefinitely with severe concussion symptoms. Oh wait...severe mental disability hasn't stopped him so far.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:42 PM
Avs71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Corsi basically is just that. Shots for and shots against when you're on the ice. It's supposed to signify puck possession but it's quite flawed for many reasons.

First is obviously zone starts. O'Byrne and Zanon start most of their shifts in the defensive zone. That leads to shots against.

Secondly, we have no way of valuing quality of shots. Part of the reason Landeskog is a Corsi god is that he takes a lot of low percentage shots. I don't mind him doing that, but quite a few of them are shots just to go on a line change. Compare with Eberle who only shoots when he's in close in a good spot. His shots are 'worth' more Landeskog shots, since they have a completely different approach to shooting.

On one level Corsi/zone starts and all these things are interesting but they aren't the Rosetta Stone of hockey, unlocking a perfect understanding of the game. Sadly many followers of advanced hockey stats lack a basic understanding of how stats work so they tend to get carried away with them.

I like stats, but I think watching games tells you much more about teams and players. You never get context when just looking at stats.

/rant over.
This description is exactly why I hate it. Every single EJ thread turns into "he faces weak competition and is a 2nd pairing defender. This is a fact. I don't need to watch games because Corsi tells me." Guys like Eskimo and EvaUnitZero or whatever his name is live off it.

I never post advanced statistics, but I just posted what that guy had in the article because it was actually praising a Hunwick-EJ pairing, which is oddly surprising.

Closed Thread