HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

JT Miller and Brandon Mashinter up; Ferriero down (2/18: Mashinter up with Powe out)

Old
02-04-2013, 03:04 PM
Levitate

vCash: 500
Sounds like the Rangers are trying to figure out what they have at the moment and what kind of moves they will need to make. See if Miller or Mashinter can contribute while Kreider is healing, which helps make a decision about whether Kreider should stay up or go down. Help them decide what kind of trades and stuff they might need to make

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:05 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
Id be amazed if Miller managed to claim ANY spot. Especially when Cally and Kreider are healthy.
I can see Kreider and TJ competing for the spot. That would benefit Torts.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:07 PM
slipknottin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Sounds like the Rangers are trying to figure out what they have at the moment and what kind of moves they will need to make. See if Miller or Mashinter can contribute while Kreider is healing, which helps make a decision about whether Kreider should stay up or go down. Help them decide what kind of trades and stuff they might need to make
Well Mash I think just replaces Rupp. Hes a figher, and a decent enough skater to play on that 4th line. Miller may just be temporary until cally is back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I can see Kreider and TJ competing for the spot. That would benefit Torts.
That could make some sense too.
Though I would not be upset to see them playing together on the whale either.

slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:10 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Id be amazed if Miller managed to claim ANY spot. Especially when Cally and Kreider are healthy.
Actually, I would too but don't count this kid out of anything. Miller is one guy that gets it. I've had that feeling right from the beginning with him. Who knows where he will wind up, but I have now doubt this kid will be an NHLer.....soon.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:10 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Any word on how many games it is more an NHL season for free agency purposes? 40 games usually, how about for a 48 game season?
No.

The MOU didn't provide any of the transitional details.

Bob McKenzie reported the SPC sliding details.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:12 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Nash.Richards.Gaborik
Haglin.Stepan.Callahan
Kreider.Lindberg.Fast
Pyatt.Boyle.Miller

Looking forward to later this season and/or next when we see this lineup.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:13 PM
montrealmachine
Rookie User

Quote:
Kreider's health being somewhat of an unknown... as to how long it's been affecting him; but Miller seems to be outperforming him down in the AHL, and Miller looked pretty great the 2nd half of the Jr Tournament... I say he earned this call up, and if the spot comes down to either Kreider and him, I think Miller has the upper hand right now.

montrealmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:14 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Agreed. When everyone is healthy they will have a couple of spots available.

Tort has seen:
Newbury
Segal
Kreider
Mashinter
Ferreiro
Miller

I wouldn't be overly surprised to see Palmieri possibly up so Torts can get a look at him at some point. Same with Haley.

The Rangers have A LOT of fringe NHLers. And that isn't even including Thomas, Hrivik or Jean who have promise.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:15 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Agreed. When everyone is healthy they will have a couple of spots available.

Tort has seen:
Newbury
Segal
Kreider
Mashinter
Ferreiro
Miller

I wouldn't be overly surprised to see Palmieri possibly up so Torts can get a look at him at some point. Same with Haley.

The Rangers have A LOT of fringe NHLers. And that isn't even including Thomas, Hrivik or Jean who have promise.
Rangers are addressing the fourth line like the Mets are addressing the bullpen.

02-04-2013, 03:17 PM
slipknottin

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrealmachine View Post
Kreider's health being somewhat of an unknown... as to how long it's been affecting him; but Miller seems to be outperforming him down in the AHL, and Miller looked pretty great the 2nd half of the Jr Tournament... I say he earned this call up, and if the spot comes down to either Kreider and him, I think Miller has the upper hand right now.
Problem is kreider/Miller dont really have a spot when everyone is healthy.

There chance to play is now, before Cally is back. Unless they bump Mash or Asham, Halpern, etc down.

Otherwise what do they do? Keep them up but not play them? Awful hard to continue their development that way.

Im not sure at this point either of them offer more than the depth guys on the team already.

If either of them play great, then its probably not an issue of which one to keep, but who gets to actually play on game days. Of course if guys continue to get banged up, this is much easier...

Old
02-04-2013, 03:18 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
I like Ferriero a lot actually. But I guess it's Miller time. He miiiight get a few minutes in the line up, but you never know.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:20 PM
Jackson Ranger

I like Miller but count me in the group where I think he might be in a little over his head. If it is for a cup of coffee and he learns what he has to do to get to the next level, then I'm ok with it.

Looking forward to see Mashinter though.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:22 PM
Vitto79

was Miller and Mashinter on the same line in CT? If so they may play together. I rather see Miller on a 3rd line though.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:23 PM
montrealmachine
Rookie User

Quote:
Problem is kreider/Miller dont really have a spot when everyone is healthy.

There chance to play is now, before Cally is back. Unless they bump Mash or Asham, Halpern, etc down.

Otherwise what do they do? Keep them up but not play them? Awful hard to continue their development that way.

Im not sure at this point either of them offer more than the depth guys on the team already.

If either of them play great, then its probably not an issue of which one to keep, but who gets to actually play on game days. Of course if guys continue to get banged up, this is much easier...
"The Experts" warned before the season, that with very little training camp, there would be significant amounts of injuries. Plus with the condensed schedule, more guys need rest... It's prudent to carry a little extra guys and rotate. It's better that, than banking the team staying well rested/injury free.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:24 PM
CaptainCally

This is such a good day! I've wanted Rupp gone for a while now. And ever since we got Mashinter I said he should replace Rupp. Mash is young and got good upside while being a physical player. I like it. And I really, really like Miller so... I hope this change up will spark the team and strengthen our bottom 6.

For the love of god Torts keep Bickel as a healthy scratch or send him down to the AHL please.

CaptainCally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:24 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Rangers are addressing the fourth line like the Mets are addressing the bullpen.
I've liked the moves we've made. This comparison makes me feel a lot less confident.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:26 PM
slipknottin

Quote:
"The Experts" warned before the season, that with very little training camp, there would be significant amounts of injuries. Plus with the condensed schedule, more guys need rest... It's prudent to carry a little extra guys and rotate. It's better that, than banking the team staying well rested/injury free.
Not arguing that, just saying its tough to keep the young kids as those game day scratches.... They need to be getting a good amount of ice time every game.

So do they instead keep the young guys playing and keep mash/halpern/asham as the scratches?

Old
02-04-2013, 03:30 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Torts likes Halpern

Quote:
“Halpern is a utility guy,” Tortorella added. “Each game that’s come along, his game is improving. His faceoffs are improving. He’s skating well. To be able to bounce him around a lot of different situations, I think, eventually, is going to be a big plus for us.”
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r..._when_healthy/

Halpern and Powe make up 2/3 of the 4th line(potentially). PK guys.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:31 PM
CaptainCally

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
If Miller were to stick (or next year)

Gaborik - Richards - Nash
Hagelin - Stepan - Pyatt
Kreider - Miller - Callahan
Powe/Mashinter - Boyle - Asham
Ferriero, Halpern (2013)

Waiting in wings (next year)- Lindberg, Fast, Hrivik
Yeah... I highly doubt that Pyatt (who I've always liked as a player) will be in the top 6 while Callahan will be in the bottom 6... Callahan is clearly better and he scores more.

CaptainCally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:32 PM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
LOL that's pretty funny although the Rangers will not have to depend on their fourth line to get them wins like the Mets depend on their bullpen.

RangerBlue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:32 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Torts likes Halpern

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r..._when_healthy/

Halpern and Powe make up 2/3 of the 4th line(potentially). PK guys.
Yeah, I have seen the same thing. He skates well and processes the game at a high level. Very underrated signing by Sather this off-season for such little money. And he is very good on face-offs to boot.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:38 PM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

vCash: 50
Well. With Mash and Miller called up, we have more options.

Predicting Torts won't split up the NRG line, Hagelin-Stepan-Pyatt will be our 2nd line, Mash-Boyle-Miller might be our 3rd with Powe-Halpern-Asham on the 4th. Once Callahan and Kreider are back, Mash and Miller will be replaced with Pyatt moving back to 3rd (although I really like him on the 2nd line with Hags and Stepan)

Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:42 PM
montrealmachine
Rookie User

Quote:
Not arguing that, just saying its tough to keep the young kids as those game day scratches.... They need to be getting a good amount of ice time every game.

So do they instead keep the young guys playing and keep mash/halpern/asham as the scratches?
Depends on the gameplan for each specific game. I have the feeling Kreider's going to need some time to work through this injury. I could see him doing some conditioning down in the minors.

I wouldn't lose any sleep if Halpern were to spend some time in the pressbox.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:45 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I understand why they're giving Miller a shot, but I think it is too early. He's not ready. His play in CT has been inconsistent at best. As for Mashinter, why not? Let's see what he can bring to the table. It can't be worse than Newbury.

I was thrilled when the Rangers signed Halpern. I was hoping for years they'd get him; he's a terrific role player. He's been noticeable every game this season. Adds a much needed dimension to the bottom six.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:48 PM
slipknottin

Quote:
I wouldn't lose any sleep if Halpern were to spend some time in the pressbox.
I know what you mean, but I think Halpern has been a pretty good player so far this season, I would be surprised if Miller is as good or better at this point.

I think it may be too short a season to really give any of them an extended chance to play, especially if they arent great defensively.