HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

FEB 6TH Boston @ Montreal 7:30PM EST

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2013, 03:09 PM
Habtchum*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckles30 View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with the bolded section, but to me a true cup contender needs another top flight C. I think Plekanec is a perfect 3rd line C on a cup contending team, capable of centering a line that not only shutdown the opposition but take the game to them. With smaller players like Gallagher and Gionta on the wings, I just don't see a future for DD at center on this team, as much as I like him.
A 1-2-3 punch of Galchenyuk, Stastny, Plekanec would be as good as any in the league. I think Stastny has better offensive game than Plekanec, and I think his decrease in point production has more to do with the wingers he's been getting then drop-off in his play (see Plekanec, Tomas - 2011/2012 season). If not Stastny, I still think we need a top flight offensive C to go with Galchenyuk.
Just have a look at Statsny $$$ on CapGeek. No way we have the cap space for him. He's making 6,6 milion.

And he is not that great anymore. The guy has less than 60 points per year the last two seasons. Plekky's number.

Last edited by Habtchum*: 02-04-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old
02-04-2013, 03:16 PM
Knuckles30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
Just have a look at Statsny $$$ on CapGeek. No way we have the cap space for him. He's making 6,6 milion.

And he is not that great anymore.
They can fit him in as they get closer to the deadline, and a Kaberle buy-out makes room next year.

Again though, I was using Stastny as an example of the type of center I would like to get. I still think he's got #1C game.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:22 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
They can fit him in as they get closer to the deadline, and a Kaberle buy-out makes room next year.

Again though, I was using Stastny as an example of the type of center I would like to get. I still think he's got #1C game.
They are allowed TWO buyouts. Gomez was the first one.

Acquiring Statsny for good assets and buying him out a year later doesn't make sense.

Once again, let's be patient and keep our assets and picks. Galchenyuk is on his way up.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:24 PM
Knuckles30

Quote:
They are allowed TWO buyouts. Gomez was the first one.

Acquiring Statsny for good assets and buying him out a year later doesn't make sense.

Once again, let's be patient and keep our assets and picks. Galchenyuk is on his way up.
I said buying out Kaberle makes room.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:30 PM
IcemanTBI

They are going to have to buy out Kaberle anyways at some point. He is dead weight on the team, there just isnt any room for him. I understand wanting to have some depth for insurance in case Markov gets injured again, but having someone taking up so much cap space like Kaberle is, doesnt make any sense.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
I said buying out Kaberle makes room.
Sorry, Got it now. But I am against it anyway. I would rather have a solid big d-man to replace Bouillon next year.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:35 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
The Boston-Montreal game will definitely be looked upon by Habs fans as Huge in the overall picture(Contender/Pretender).No matter what the outcome the team is playing way better than I expected and the hope here is they win playing Hab hockey. Regardless the Sabres will be looking for revenge after Saturday's game on Thursday, following the Bruins game Wednesday night.Boston hasn't played since Sat.they play the Habs on Wed.then they play Sat. against Tampa in Boston that's a pretty nice schedule for them when Tampa plays on the road against Phil./Tues.,NJ/Thurs. and Boston/Sat.So whatever happens Wed. I just want our team intact,no injuries or suspensions and focused on the real prize (Winning Hockey as a team)
Boston's light workload this week will catch up to them at some point in this season's compressed schedule. Unless the Habs incur an injury in Boston the Habs will have a full roster against Buffalo. They survived back-to-back games this past weekend, so the Sabres shouldn't count on an easy win.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:37 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
I agree to an extent, but if the opportunity arises to get a true #1 centre, I'm willing to go all-in. If DD, Beaulieu, and a 1st (or something similar) can get me a Backstrom or a Stastny, I think the Habs become true contenders.
IMO that's too big an if. Why would those teams make such a trade?

Old
02-04-2013, 03:37 PM
Knuckles30

Quote:
Sorry, Got it now. But I am against it anyway. I would rather have a solid big d-man to replace Bouillon next year.
I'm counting on Tinordi for that spot.

My dream line-up would be:

Pacioretty - #1C - Cole
Bourque - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Eller - Plekanec - Gionta
Moen - Prust - White

Markov - Emelin
Gorges - Subban
Diaz - Tinordi

I honestly believe that that's a contender for the cup in 2013/2014.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:41 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
I wholeheartedly agree with the bolded section, but to me a true cup contender needs another top flight C. I think Plekanec is a perfect 3rd line C on a cup contending team, capable of centering a line that not only shutdown the opposition but take the game to them. With smaller players like Gallagher and Gionta on the wings, I just don't see a future for DD at center on this team, as much as I like him.
A 1-2-3 punch of Galchenyuk, Stastny, Plekanec would be as good as any in the league. I think Stastny has better offensive game than Plekanec, and I think his decrease in point production has more to do with the wingers he's been getting then drop-off in his play (see Plekanec, Tomas - 2011/2012 season). If not Stastny, I still think we need a top flight offensive C to go with Galchenyuk.
Stastny would not find high scoring wingers to complement him on the Habs, assuming that the best are assigned to Galchenyuk.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:42 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrock76 View Post
Regardelss of the toughness quotient White deserves to be in the line-up more then Armstrong.

Other then springing Gally on a breakaway last game Colby has contributed absolutely nothing in all the games he's played so far, at least White generates some chances.
And also for the opponents with his penalties, sad to say.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:45 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Makes sense, and Bouillon is on a short-term contract.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:31 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Feb 6th is my birthday, and i only want 1 thing.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:37 PM
TheBabysitter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
:

Happy Birthday and literally wish you the best birthday. Canadiens must win to make a statement in the NHL.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:40 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBabysitter View Post
:

Happy Birthday and literally wish you the best birthday.
thanks , just hope for a great win!

Old
02-04-2013, 04:48 PM
Habtchum*

I hope the Habs gonna catch them in the standing and also send them a strong message about what the team is made of and willing to make to win.

In the last few years (not last, of course), every time the Habs were at very close range of the Bruins in the standings, they were losing that 4-point game, and wre going downhill afterwards (series of losses).

Old
02-04-2013, 04:55 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
Hey, we have the same birthday!

Old
02-04-2013, 05:05 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
1980's hockey... We are in 2013.
Well you have to admit Corson,McPhee,Robinson,Nilan could play on any team today with the skill level they had. Kordic is a waste of roster spot in today's league.

Corson was better than Lucic will ever be
McPhee is a more talented Prust.
Robinson Hall of Fame top 10 D-man all time.
Nilan is today's Chris Neil.

Old
02-04-2013, 05:19 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

It's going to be a hard game. Boston is very good on faceoffs. Best in the league if I'm not mistaken. Bergeron is one of the best. Very well rounded player and very underrated around the league.

They're a deep team, too. It's never easy against Boston and I don't expect this game to be any easier.

Old
02-04-2013, 05:21 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
It's going to be a hard game. Boston is very good on faceoffs. Best in the league if I'm not mistaken. Bergeron is one of the best. Very well rounded player and very underrated around the league.

They're a deep team, too. It's never easy against Boston and I don't expect this game to be any easier.
Would have agreed on that a couple years ago. Now? This guy is getting so overrated it's not even funny. Very good 2nd line center that's doing a very good job defensively and good for 55-65 points a season. But there are other guys of this level in this league. He benefits from the guys around him as much as the opposite IMO. Also saw this ridiculous poll about whether your team would take Bergeron or a 1st overall pick earlier this year. Laughed my butt off at this one.

Old
02-04-2013, 05:22 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Laraque's best days were far behind him when he donned the CH. He'd been on a steady decline and had openly spoken about not enjoying his role. He went through the motions... Look at a Colton Orr and what he does for the Leafs. I'm not suggesting use the guy (I said MacIntyre) on a regular basis, but against the Bruins, why not? Ask the Sabres if they think Scott is useless.

And yes sometimes there are situations in every player's career where they have to drop the gloves. Even Nick Lidstrom did it...

Bruins have pushed the Habs around for a long time - Chara jumping Latendresse, Chara on Pacioretty, guys running at Subban, beating up non fighters in Spacek, Hamrlik, and Pyatt...

When the Habs were respectable they had Kordic, Corson, Robinson, Nilan, McPhee, and others to neutralize the Boston teams. No reason we couldn't have a heavyweight to help Prust.
Orr plays something like 7 minutes a game and his line spends most of the time hemmed in their own zone being scored on. We don't need that for 10-15 fights a year.

Old
02-04-2013, 05:23 PM
PricePkPatch

This game means nothing.

If we lose, people are gonna say we just suck, we cannot compete with "real contender"

If we win, people are gonna say we usually are very good against Boston, and it doesn't mean anything

Old
02-04-2013, 05:24 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
McPhee is a more talented Prust.
According to Pierre McGuire you should be comparing Max Pacioretty to Mike McPhee

Old
02-04-2013, 05:29 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
According to Pierre McGuire you should be comparing Max Pacioretty to Mike McPhee
I don't think Pacioretty would of ever dropped gloves with Joe Kocur.

Old
02-04-2013, 05:34 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
I don't think Pacioretty would of ever dropped gloves with Joe Kocur.
And McPhee would had never score 30 goals.

McGuire is in the left field . These two players are very different.

Closed Thread