HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-04-2013, 04:37 PM
  #526
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 18,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Does his contract run to age 43 or not? Yes or no?
At age 41 and 42, Martin Broudeur will earn $4.5m/season his cap hit will match the annual earnings.

At age 40-43, Luongo will earn $3.6, 1.6, and $1.0 per season with a $5.3 cap hit.

The other thing to add is in 6-10 years there is a pretty good chance a $5.3m cap hit isn't even the average for NHL goalies, the cap is going to go up.

It's not ideal to be locked in that long, but there are MANY benefits to that contract, even with the new cap benefit re-capture provision.

arsmaster is online now  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:37 PM
  #527
Newfie John
Hall of Famer
 
Newfie John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
That other "era" was about 4 years ago. Hardly the epic here, and GMs don't have short memories. And really, other players reaching all-star elite status only diminishes one by comparison. Luongo is still a top7-8 goalie in the league. Teams build around far less...



Return I want? good prospect + 1st rounder. Rumoured structure of what Gillis wants? good prospect + high pick + decent roster player.
Define good prospect.

Newfie John is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:38 PM
  #528
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 28,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Yes. But the last few years are minimal salary unlike Ovechkin's. Luongo's was a cap circumventing contract but Ovechkin's was based on a player being elite for the full contract.
The salary is NOT the issue. The cap is the issue. The Caps can't absorb another career deal at that cap hit.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:39 PM
  #529
Scottrockztheworld*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
One is the face of the franchise, the other clearly wouldn't be. One fills Verizon center every night. Luongo isn't going to do that in DC.
So was Luongo when he signed his deal.... I think you severely under estimate Luongo's impact to a Franchise.

Scottrockztheworld* is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:39 PM
  #530
Newfie John
Hall of Famer
 
Newfie John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwitch View Post
Thus ending the Luongo to Washington speculation. Unless you believe that Gillis, McPhee, and every single beat writer is lying.
So much for McPhee "negotiating through the media".

The level of delusion in this thread is entertainingly mind boggling.

Newfie John is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:41 PM
  #531
Co Ho*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Does his contract run to age 43 or not? Yes or no?
Does he get paid 1 mill for a few seasons with a 2 mill rather than 5.3 mill cap hit? Yes or no?
It's easy to frame a scenario to make it seem bad when you neglect all the details.

Co Ho* is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:41 PM
  #532
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 28,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
At age 41 and 42, Martin Broudeur will earn $4.5m/season his cap hit will match the annual earnings.

At age 40-43, Luongo will earn $3.6, 1.6, and $1.0 per season with a $5.3 cap hit.

The other thing to add is in 6-10 years there is a pretty good chance a $5.3m cap hit isn't even the average for NHL goalies, the cap is going to go up.

It's not ideal to be locked in that long, but there are MANY benefits to that contract, even with the new cap benefit re-capture provision.
If the Caps were a team with $15-20 mil in available cap space....sure, not a big deal. Caps don't care about salary, but rather how you fit that contract into a longterm team structure. They can't today as made clear by McPhee.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:42 PM
  #533
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 18,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwitch View Post
Thus ending the Luongo to Washington speculation. Unless you believe that Gillis, McPhee, and every single beat writer is lying.
Or Gillis' words can be taken at face value, and he didn't mean to create a controversy of frenzy by being there, thus alleviating the pressure on McPhee's goalies in the mean time while a potential deal is ongoingly negotiated.

People love to bite these little bits of info and swallow them hook line and sinker, while usually, it's a little murkier than the GM's are saying.

arsmaster is online now  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:43 PM
  #534
Syckle78
Registered User
 
Syckle78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Redford, MI
Country: Belgium
Posts: 5,681
vCash: 500
Whelp there is one less team in on Lu. Better hope a top contender loses their goalie to injury soon or you wont get anything near what you want. It's a buyers market,period.

Syckle78 is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:43 PM
  #535
Newfie John
Hall of Famer
 
Newfie John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Or Gillis' words can be taken at face value, and he didn't mean to create a controversy of frenzy by being there, thus alleviating the pressure on McPhee's goalies in the mean time while a potential deal is ongoingly negotiated.

People love to bite these little bits of info and swallow them hook line and sinker, while usually, it's a little murkier than the GM's are saying.
Or people hear what they want to hear.

Newfie John is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:45 PM
  #536
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 18,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
Or people hear what they want to hear.
Sounds about right, John.

arsmaster is online now  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:50 PM
  #537
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
Define good prospect.

Depends on the team you are talking about. I thought Kadri was a good prospect, but then other VAN fans didn't.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
Whelp there is one less team in on Lu. Better hope a top contender loses their goalie to injury soon or you wont get anything near what you want. It's a buyers market,period.


Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:50 PM
  #538
DontToewzMeBro
Registered User
 
DontToewzMeBro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
One is the face of the franchise, the other clearly wouldn't be. One fills Verizon center every night. Luongo isn't going to do that in DC.
Don't bother arguing with him, just let him think what he wants.

Vancouver fans have blinders on, they cannot see common sense, OBVIOUSLY the only real reason Washington has been so successful as a business is because the drafted OV.

He sells the jerseys, he puts people in the seats, even at this level I want to see him play, Luongo while being a solid option in goal doesn't do that, that is why OV means more to the Caps,

He alone boosted the revenue probably 300 % for the caps ove rthe last 7 years

DontToewzMeBro is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:51 PM
  #539
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
If Luongo was on a sensible contract he'd return a good value. He's a solid asset for the next four years maybe... After that he's a huge liability financially and with respect to the cap. With respect to the former, it wipes out a lot of the league because they can't take the long term financial burden. The cap burden makes wealthy teams think twice.

In reality there is only one team who are dumb enough to take on this guy and pay anything in value for him and it's the Leafs. That opportunity dwindles by the day as Carlyle's defensive system becomes more entrenched and Reimer continues giving reliable goaltending.
The Canucks will have to take a brutal contract back to get this done, and even that may not do it with the availability of amnesty buyouts per the most recent CBA.

Washington do not want him. Florida takes him if the Canucks eat big cash/cap. Flyers take him if Bryzgalov goes (Flyers buying out Bryzgalov and paying through their ass is a Canucks fan's wet/pipe dream). Leafs will offer the best deal, but do they even want him anymore (Kadri is off the table now, shoulda took him in the summer when you could).

Long story short, Gillis is overplaying his hand. He's lucky he inherited a core built by Burke/Nonis or his team wouldn't be as good as it is.
A few points:
1. Reimer has given reliable goaltending for 5 games. I'm sure you've followed the carousel of Leaf goalies over the past decade or so and after the Monster, Raycroft etc know that you can't judge based on a small sample size.
2. I think the Canucks are fine holding onto one of the top goalies in the league for the year if need be rather than giving him away. Luongo should only be traded this year if he improves the team and not for just some redundant assets like Bozak etc.
3. Burke/Nonis is your problem now. Gillis is one of the best in the business and and I'm confident that he will do what helps the Canucks the most.

vanwest is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:51 PM
  #540
Newfie John
Hall of Famer
 
Newfie John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Depends on the team you are talking about. I thought Kadri was a good prospect, but then other VAN fans didn't.





Kadri is Toronto's best player right now.

Aim lower.

Newfie John is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:52 PM
  #541
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
If the Caps were a team with $15-20 mil in available cap space....sure, not a big deal. Caps don't care about salary, but rather how you fit that contract into a longterm team structure. They can't today as made clear by McPhee.


I'm curious why McPhee commented on the contract at all? Or talked about his prospects? Why not just dismiss it as nothing more than a surprise visit, forget the particulars?



Lu's cap-hit is artificially deflated, so I don't know what point you are trying to make with the cap-hit being a factor? Any goalie of his calibre will get paid more, and has.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:53 PM
  #542
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
Kadri is Toronto's best player right now.

Aim lower.

Right now he is, but he wasn't in the summer/lockout when the speculation existed.


In any event, TOR isn't even on the radar anymore so I'm loathe to talk about them.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:54 PM
  #543
Newfie John
Hall of Famer
 
Newfie John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
A few points:
1. Reimer has given reliable goaltending for 5 games. I'm sure you've followed the carousel of Leaf goalies over the past decade or so and after the Monster, Raycroft etc know that you can't judge based on a small sample size.
2. I think the Canucks are fine holding onto one of the top goalies in the league for the year if need be rather than giving him away. Luongo should only be traded this year if he improves the team and not for just some redundant assets like Bozak etc.
3. Burke/Nonis is your problem now. Gillis is one of the best in the business and and I'm confident that he will do what helps the Canucks the most.
I'm relying on the sample size of games where Reimer wasn't concussed. It's not that different in size than the one Vancouver is relying on to crown a youngster with the #1 role.

Burke isn't with the team anymore and any inhibitor to acquiring Luongo is a blessing not a problem, long term.

Newfie John is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:55 PM
  #544
LPH
[hello] :)
 
LPH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 44,594
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
Kadri is Toronto's best player right now.

Aim lower.
Kassian and Ballard are our best players so far, doesn't mean they hold significantly more value than they had at the beginning of the season

edit- other than our goalies of course

LPH is online now  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:56 PM
  #545
Ho Borvat
Registered User
 
Ho Borvat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontToewzMeBro View Post
Don't bother arguing with him, just let him think what he wants.

Vancouver fans have blinders on, they cannot see common sense, OBVIOUSLY the only real reason Washington has been so successful as a business is because the drafted OV.

He sells the jerseys, he puts people in the seats, even at this level I want to see him play, Luongo while being a solid option in goal doesn't do that, that is why OV means more to the Caps,

He alone boosted the revenue probably 300 % for the caps ove rthe last 7 years

Im sure Ovechkin jerseys net 10 million in revenue a year (not being sarcastic).

So far in his career he has been an extremely marketable player, and I really hope he can go back to being a 100+ point player.

Ho Borvat is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:56 PM
  #546
Newfie John
Hall of Famer
 
Newfie John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Right now he is, but he wasn't in the summer/lockout when the speculation existed.


In any event, TOR isn't even on the radar anymore so I'm loathe to talk about them.
Is anyone on the radar? Seems to me the market = Nil. Vancouver had a shot at Kadri in the summer and it looks like Gillis blew it.

Newfie John is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:56 PM
  #547
inthewings
Registered User
 
inthewings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,077
vCash: 500
So which teams can reasonably be assumed to have interest at this point? Chicago and Toronto?

inthewings is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:58 PM
  #548
Newfie John
Hall of Famer
 
Newfie John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewings View Post
So which teams can reasonably be assumed to have interest at this point? Chicago and Toronto?
I don't think Toronto is.

Newfie John is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:59 PM
  #549
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
Is anyone on the radar? Seems to me the market = Nil. Vancouver had a shot at Kadri in the summer and it looks like Gillis blew it.


Cool, Gillis blew it. So I'm unsure why TOR is still being talked about? Reimer seems good for you guys and so you have no reason to care what happens to Luongo right?


If the interest is nil, situation seems pretty straight forward. Luongo stays in VAN for the time being, which is what we are seeing.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 05:00 PM
  #550
Wizeman*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
At age 41 and 42, Martin Broudeur will earn $4.5m/season his cap hit will match the annual earnings.

At age 40-43, Luongo will earn $3.6, 1.6, and $1.0 per season with a $5.3 cap hit.

The other thing to add is in 6-10 years there is a pretty good chance a $5.3m cap hit isn't even the average for NHL goalies, the cap is going to go up.

It's not ideal to be locked in that long, but there are MANY benefits to that contract, even with the new cap benefit re-capture provision.
Because Luongo is Martin Brodeur, and even ignoring that ridiculous argument, Luongo will physically hold up like Martin Brodeur ?

Even if they are both physical twins, Brodeur logs about 1/10th the travel Luongo does. I doubt Luongo can play at a reasonable level at age 40.

Wizeman* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.