HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2013, 04:37 PM
arsmaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Does his contract run to age 43 or not? Yes or no?
At age 41 and 42, Martin Broudeur will earn $4.5m/season his cap hit will match the annual earnings.

At age 40-43, Luongo will earn $3.6, 1.6, and $1.0 per season with a $5.3 cap hit.

The other thing to add is in 6-10 years there is a pretty good chance a $5.3m cap hit isn't even the average for NHL goalies, the cap is going to go up.

It's not ideal to be locked in that long, but there are MANY benefits to that contract, even with the new cap benefit re-capture provision.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:37 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
That other "era" was about 4 years ago. Hardly the epic here, and GMs don't have short memories. And really, other players reaching all-star elite status only diminishes one by comparison. Luongo is still a top7-8 goalie in the league. Teams build around far less...

Return I want? good prospect + 1st rounder. Rumoured structure of what Gillis wants? good prospect + high pick + decent roster player.
Define good prospect.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:38 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Yes. But the last few years are minimal salary unlike Ovechkin's. Luongo's was a cap circumventing contract but Ovechkin's was based on a player being elite for the full contract.
The salary is NOT the issue. The cap is the issue. The Caps can't absorb another career deal at that cap hit.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:39 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
One is the face of the franchise, the other clearly wouldn't be. One fills Verizon center every night. Luongo isn't going to do that in DC.
So was Luongo when he signed his deal.... I think you severely under estimate Luongo's impact to a Franchise.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:39 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwitch View Post
Thus ending the Luongo to Washington speculation. Unless you believe that Gillis, McPhee, and every single beat writer is lying.
So much for McPhee "negotiating through the media".

The level of delusion in this thread is entertainingly mind boggling.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Co Ho*

Quote:
Does his contract run to age 43 or not? Yes or no?
Does he get paid 1 mill for a few seasons with a 2 mill rather than 5.3 mill cap hit? Yes or no?
It's easy to frame a scenario to make it seem bad when you neglect all the details.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:41 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
At age 41 and 42, Martin Broudeur will earn $4.5m/season his cap hit will match the annual earnings.

At age 40-43, Luongo will earn $3.6, 1.6, and $1.0 per season with a $5.3 cap hit.

The other thing to add is in 6-10 years there is a pretty good chance a $5.3m cap hit isn't even the average for NHL goalies, the cap is going to go up.

It's not ideal to be locked in that long, but there are MANY benefits to that contract, even with the new cap benefit re-capture provision.
If the Caps were a team with $15-20 mil in available cap space....sure, not a big deal. Caps don't care about salary, but rather how you fit that contract into a longterm team structure. They can't today as made clear by McPhee.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:42 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwitch View Post
Thus ending the Luongo to Washington speculation. Unless you believe that Gillis, McPhee, and every single beat writer is lying.
Or Gillis' words can be taken at face value, and he didn't mean to create a controversy of frenzy by being there, thus alleviating the pressure on McPhee's goalies in the mean time while a potential deal is ongoingly negotiated.

People love to bite these little bits of info and swallow them hook line and sinker, while usually, it's a little murkier than the GM's are saying.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:43 PM
Syckle78

Whelp there is one less team in on Lu. Better hope a top contender loses their goalie to injury soon or you wont get anything near what you want. It's a buyers market,period.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:43 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Or Gillis' words can be taken at face value, and he didn't mean to create a controversy of frenzy by being there, thus alleviating the pressure on McPhee's goalies in the mean time while a potential deal is ongoingly negotiated.

People love to bite these little bits of info and swallow them hook line and sinker, while usually, it's a little murkier than the GM's are saying.
Or people hear what they want to hear.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:45 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
Or people hear what they want to hear.
Sounds about right, John.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:50 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Define good prospect.

Depends on the team you are talking about. I thought Kadri was a good prospect, but then other VAN fans didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
Whelp there is one less team in on Lu. Better hope a top contender loses their goalie to injury soon or you wont get anything near what you want. It's a buyers market,period.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:50 PM
DontToewzMeBro

Quote:
One is the face of the franchise, the other clearly wouldn't be. One fills Verizon center every night. Luongo isn't going to do that in DC.
Don't bother arguing with him, just let him think what he wants.

Vancouver fans have blinders on, they cannot see common sense, OBVIOUSLY the only real reason Washington has been so successful as a business is because the drafted OV.

He sells the jerseys, he puts people in the seats, even at this level I want to see him play, Luongo while being a solid option in goal doesn't do that, that is why OV means more to the Caps,

He alone boosted the revenue probably 300 % for the caps ove rthe last 7 years

Old
02-04-2013, 04:51 PM
vanwest

Quote:
If Luongo was on a sensible contract he'd return a good value. He's a solid asset for the next four years maybe... After that he's a huge liability financially and with respect to the cap. With respect to the former, it wipes out a lot of the league because they can't take the long term financial burden. The cap burden makes wealthy teams think twice.

In reality there is only one team who are dumb enough to take on this guy and pay anything in value for him and it's the Leafs. That opportunity dwindles by the day as Carlyle's defensive system becomes more entrenched and Reimer continues giving reliable goaltending.
The Canucks will have to take a brutal contract back to get this done, and even that may not do it with the availability of amnesty buyouts per the most recent CBA.

Washington do not want him. Florida takes him if the Canucks eat big cash/cap. Flyers take him if Bryzgalov goes (Flyers buying out Bryzgalov and paying through their ass is a Canucks fan's wet/pipe dream). Leafs will offer the best deal, but do they even want him anymore (Kadri is off the table now, shoulda took him in the summer when you could).

Long story short, Gillis is overplaying his hand. He's lucky he inherited a core built by Burke/Nonis or his team wouldn't be as good as it is.
A few points:
1. Reimer has given reliable goaltending for 5 games. I'm sure you've followed the carousel of Leaf goalies over the past decade or so and after the Monster, Raycroft etc know that you can't judge based on a small sample size.
2. I think the Canucks are fine holding onto one of the top goalies in the league for the year if need be rather than giving him away. Luongo should only be traded this year if he improves the team and not for just some redundant assets like Bozak etc.
3. Burke/Nonis is your problem now. Gillis is one of the best in the business and and I'm confident that he will do what helps the Canucks the most.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:51 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Depends on the team you are talking about. I thought Kadri was a good prospect, but then other VAN fans didn't.

Kadri is Toronto's best player right now.

Aim lower.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
If the Caps were a team with $15-20 mil in available cap space....sure, not a big deal. Caps don't care about salary, but rather how you fit that contract into a longterm team structure. They can't today as made clear by McPhee.

I'm curious why McPhee commented on the contract at all? Or talked about his prospects? Why not just dismiss it as nothing more than a surprise visit, forget the particulars?

Lu's cap-hit is artificially deflated, so I don't know what point you are trying to make with the cap-hit being a factor? Any goalie of his calibre will get paid more, and has.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:53 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:

Aim lower.

Right now he is, but he wasn't in the summer/lockout when the speculation existed.

In any event, TOR isn't even on the radar anymore so I'm loathe to talk about them.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:54 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
A few points:
1. Reimer has given reliable goaltending for 5 games. I'm sure you've followed the carousel of Leaf goalies over the past decade or so and after the Monster, Raycroft etc know that you can't judge based on a small sample size.
2. I think the Canucks are fine holding onto one of the top goalies in the league for the year if need be rather than giving him away. Luongo should only be traded this year if he improves the team and not for just some redundant assets like Bozak etc.
3. Burke/Nonis is your problem now. Gillis is one of the best in the business and and I'm confident that he will do what helps the Canucks the most.
I'm relying on the sample size of games where Reimer wasn't concussed. It's not that different in size than the one Vancouver is relying on to crown a youngster with the #1 role.

Burke isn't with the team anymore and any inhibitor to acquiring Luongo is a blessing not a problem, long term.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:55 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:

Aim lower.
Kassian and Ballard are our best players so far, doesn't mean they hold significantly more value than they had at the beginning of the season

edit- other than our goalies of course

Old
02-04-2013, 04:56 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontToewzMeBro View Post
Don't bother arguing with him, just let him think what he wants.

Vancouver fans have blinders on, they cannot see common sense, OBVIOUSLY the only real reason Washington has been so successful as a business is because the drafted OV.

He sells the jerseys, he puts people in the seats, even at this level I want to see him play, Luongo while being a solid option in goal doesn't do that, that is why OV means more to the Caps,

He alone boosted the revenue probably 300 % for the caps ove rthe last 7 years

Im sure Ovechkin jerseys net 10 million in revenue a year (not being sarcastic).

So far in his career he has been an extremely marketable player, and I really hope he can go back to being a 100+ point player.

Old
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Right now he is, but he wasn't in the summer/lockout when the speculation existed.

In any event, TOR isn't even on the radar anymore so I'm loathe to talk about them.
Is anyone on the radar? Seems to me the market = Nil. Vancouver had a shot at Kadri in the summer and it looks like Gillis blew it.

Old
inthewings

So which teams can reasonably be assumed to have interest at this point? Chicago and Toronto?

Old
02-04-2013, 04:58 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewings View Post
So which teams can reasonably be assumed to have interest at this point? Chicago and Toronto?
I don't think Toronto is.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:59 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Is anyone on the radar? Seems to me the market = Nil. Vancouver had a shot at Kadri in the summer and it looks like Gillis blew it.

Cool, Gillis blew it. So I'm unsure why TOR is still being talked about? Reimer seems good for you guys and so you have no reason to care what happens to Luongo right?

If the interest is nil, situation seems pretty straight forward. Luongo stays in VAN for the time being, which is what we are seeing.

Old
02-04-2013, 05:00 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:

Because Luongo is Martin Brodeur, and even ignoring that ridiculous argument, Luongo will physically hold up like Martin Brodeur ?

Even if they are both physical twins, Brodeur logs about 1/10th the travel Luongo does. I doubt Luongo can play at a reasonable level at age 40.

Closed Thread