Nick Palmieri + Darroll Powe for Mike Rupp

Old
02-04-2013, 03:25 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Dude, TSK, Powe and Rupp are FOURTH LINERS. Yeo has given the lines plenty of time to play together and has been mixing it up the last few games, trying to find a spark.
Here's the thing; we've heard this song and dance before. Remember the Kobasew trade? The Powe trade? The Staubitz trade? Why does this team constantly need a spark, every freaking year. It's the same thing we keep hearing.

Quote:
This team, right now, this lineup...not a Stanely Cup team. That's fine. We aren't built to win the Cup right now in 2013.
Agreed.

Quote:
We have Coyle, Zucker, Larsson, Dumba, Lucia, and some other quality prospects that will come in the next couple years and push out players like Cullen, Setoguchi, Brodziak, Stoner, Falk, etc.
There's a good chance half of those prospects will bust. But if we are moving toward a youth movement, why not have guys like Zucker and Larsson up here already? They are more than ready. Why not trade Setoguchi and Brodziak now?

Quote:
Right now we're at that point where the team isn't rebuilding anymore, we don't have one or two good players and a bunch of crap on the roster, but we're not going all in and have one shot to win the Cup.

And I can't believe Powe or Rupp is going to tip the dominoes over.
No, but the thing is, if we aren't rebuilding and we're not competing. What are we doing?

The biggest concern with this trade isn't the players, it's the reason behind this trade.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:30 PM
Wildfish

Yes, it is a trade of 4th Liners but I like it a lot. Powe is a decent PK guy on a team full of excellent PK guys; no loss there. Powe's physical but he's small. Rupp is a much bigger, tougher, more physcial player. You build bit by bit. IMO the team just got a lot tougher and more experienced. Home run? No. Base hit? I think so.

Wildfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:31 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piffles View Post
I'd swear the sky was falling based on comments here.

It's a fourth liner swap that freed up one contract slot. It opens up options for GMCF to make some trades. I'm not concerned. The moves the organization have made in the past few years have left me no reason to be concerned.
Of course the sky isn't falling. I'm just a bit confused by this trade at face value, and thinking there's gotta be something bigger going on in the grand scheme of things.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Awesome trade.

I've never been a Powe fan since day 1 (see Powe trade thread) and a Palmieri deal was bound to happen. Great upgrade for the 4th line.

I wish both guys good luck with NYR/CT either way.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:32 PM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

I'm scratching my head over this one. Is DR running things again?

What's the point....our 4th line is only out there against other 4th lines for 5 minutes and nothing ever comes of it. This trade does nothing. Powe at least could draw penalties with his speed. He wasn't the problem. Powe/Palmieri hold more value than Rupp. Lost this trade.

Isn't the point of rolling 4 lines being able to put any line in the game at any time? Fail.

This doesn't add any size to the team if its utilized on a useless line. He can't skate, slow as molasses.

I hope there is something better coming....

Last edited by WildisLaw: 02-04-2013 at 03:45 PM.
WildisLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:32 PM
MN_Gopher

Quote:
I'd swear the sky was falling based on comments here.
It's a fourth liner swap that freed up one contract slot. It opens up options for GMCF to make some trades. I'm not concerned. The moves the organization have made in the past few years have left me no reason to be concerned.
We sent a meassage when DR and JL left. Two years of no play offs and we sent a message by firing Richards. Yeo was old school and held players accoutable. We were worse last year under Yeo in several years.

Yeo sent his messages

Zids is back on .5ppg pace in NJ. Like he was under Richards and in his career.
Schultz and Zannon are still doing what they do.

We still are mediocore and we have a much better team on paper and in the farm. trades like this scream desperation to me. We need something.

My frustration is with Yeo. I do not think he can coach. He needs players to play a very specific style but he cannot coach like JL could. We play the mix and match game.

MN_Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:33 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Of course the sky isn't falling. I'm just a bit confused by this trade at face value, and thinking there's gotta be something bigger going on in the grand scheme of things.
The sky isn't falling but it gets a bit tiresome to keep hearing; this isn't working! We need a spark? This team must be the most lethargic and unmotivated team in the NHL if they constantly need a spark.

Old
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 827
How is this trade an upgrade? Rupp can't do **** other than lose fights and throw a few hits. Would've been better off just trading Powe for a draft pick and putting Kassian on the 4th line.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher View Post
We sent a meassage when DR and JL left. Two years of no play offs and we sent a message by firing Richards. Yeo was old school and held players accoutable. We were worse last year under Yeo in several years.

Yeo sent his messages

Zids is back on .5ppg pace in NJ. Like he was under Richards and in his career.
Schultz and Zannon are still doing what they do.

We still are mediocore and we have a much better team on paper and in the farm. trades like this scream desperation to me. We need something.

My frustration is with Yeo. I do not think he can coach. He needs players to play a very specific style but he cannot coach like JL could. We play the mix and match game.
This. A 1000000000000 times this.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:36 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

I think we could have gotten more for Powe and Napalm but meh, I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:37 PM
Piffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
There's a good chance half of those prospects will bust. But if we are moving toward a youth movement, why not have guys like Zucker and Larsson up here already? They are more than ready. Why not trade Setoguchi and Brodziak now?

No, but the thing is, if we aren't rebuilding and we're not competing. What are we doing?
To be fair, how do you know Setoguchi and Brodziak are not available for trade? It takes two teams to get a deal done, and as this thread shows, any perceived loss on the Wild's end, regardless of how small of a difference, will create a minor ****storm among fans. This trade may have freed up the contract slot for the organization to make a move that would not be possible earlier.

We are not rebuilding, because in order to do that you need to gut the place. We are still building, and to say we're not competing is a farce. We've played St.Louis and Chicago tight. Anaheim is a tough team (5-1-1), the Red Wings aren't bad (4-3-1). The only team you can say we should have beat, but didn't, was Nashville.

Piffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:39 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
We are not rebuilding, because in order to do that you need to gut the place.
Wait. We aren't gutting the team? So that means Setoguchi stays? We're not making anymore trades?

Here's the thing. We can't gut this team anymore than we have already.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:39 PM
Wildfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpRedDawn View Post
So if Powe hasn't been sharp, according to Yeo, why in the flying **** hasn't Kass seen any ice time?
1. He can't play the game, all he can do is fight
2. One dimensional fighters are going the way of the dodo bird.

Wildfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:41 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
How is this trade an upgrade? Rupp can't do **** other than lose fights and throw a few hits. Would've been better off just trading Powe for a draft pick and putting Kassian on the 4th line.
Be honest here, how many games have you seen Rupp play?

Yes, his great days might be over now but it's still an upgrade. Get ready to be surprised.

Last edited by Fel 96: 02-04-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old
02-04-2013, 03:42 PM
Fel 96
JFC

BTW, something tells me the Wild aren't done yet..

Old
02-04-2013, 03:43 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
BTW, something tells me the Wild aren't done yet..
I think that's the message most of us are getting. But the thing is, who can we trade?

Old
02-04-2013, 03:44 PM
Piffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Wait. We aren't gutting the team? So that means Setoguchi stays? We're not making anymore trades?
No, we're not.
I did not say that, and you're heading down a slippery slope.
I'm sure GMCF will never ever make another trade. Ever.

Piffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:44 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 50
IMO, this trade was made for three reasons:

1) As others have said: "a shot across the bow" meant to grab the attention of others who are producing... Basically, a more dramatic version of pulling the goalie when the team isn't playing well in front of him.

2) Opens up a contract. I might be wrong, but I think this gets us down to 49, with 50 being the max. This gives Fletcher some flexibility to add future players.

3) Kassian might be moving, and Rupp will fill Kassian's role as an enforcer...only now he'll be on the active Wild roster.

Basically this is a lateral move, that gives Fletcher flexibility and grabs the attention of the other players. Really not bad when you think about it.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:45 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

General HF Boards thoughts:

- Rupp is slow/washed up/4th liner/good locker room guy/was a lot better before last year

- Lateral move for both sides, not a big impact

- Kind of a shake-up move

- Eastern Conf folks think Powe > Rupp

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:45 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Yes, we finally have a free contract spot.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:51 PM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

About to crack the 7th page of complaining over a Darroll Powe trade. LOL.

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:52 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 827
Watch this be the only move Fletcher makes and the Wild still miss the playoffs. Losing more faith in this organization every day.

Really starting to question Yeo as a coach

We never get the most out of our players

No matter what we do we can't score

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:52 PM
Fel 96
JFC

To be honest, I think some of you are getting influenced so much by other HF posters.

Then again, maybe it's just me.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:53 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Honestly the biggest issue I have coming out of this trade is "besides insurance, why did Fletcher sign Matt Kassian to a 2-year deal?"

Also it's funny that a game against Anaheim once again brought a Wild GM to invest in physicality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't think the Wild are slow?
I don't think they are slow but wouldn't call them as a team fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfish View Post
Yes, it is a trade of 4th Liners but I like it a lot. Powe is a decent PK guy on a team full of excellent PK guys; no loss there. Powe's physical but he's small. Rupp is a much bigger, tougher, more physcial player. You build bit by bit. IMO the team just got a lot tougher and more experienced. Home run? No. Base hit? I think so.
Pretty much sums up my thoughts. Powe, who has been directionless this season, becomes expendable with Torrey Mitchell and this deal clears some desperately-needed space. Does it make the Wild into the toughest team in the history of the NHL? No, they still have issues to address but bringing in Rupp helps one of the bigger ones on the bottom-six.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:54 PM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMD05 View Post
About to crack the 7th page of complaining over a Darroll Powe trade. LOL.
Seriously. Oh no we may have downgraded our 4th line! God help us all we're doomed.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote