HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Caps must be kicking themselves for letting Semin go.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:29 AM
NastyNick

vCash: 500
I always felt the high water mark for the capitals was when they let go of Federov. He was a bridge between the Russian players on that team and the North American style of hockey. That was probably the turning point.

NastyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:40 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post
How does Washington's prospect pool look in terms of offensive forwards?
Loaded with wingers (Evgeny Kuznetsov, Filip Forsberg, Tom Wilson, Riley Barber, Stanislav Galiev, Chandler Stephenson). Lacking quality scoring centers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNick View Post
I always felt the high water mark for the capitals was when they let go of Federov. He was a bridge between the Russian players on that team and the North American style of hockey. That was probably the turning point.
McPhee wanted to keep Fedorov. Feds didn't want to stay in North America.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:43 AM
caniac315

vCash: 625
If you believe the boards, the Caps were wrong for dumping Semin and the Canes were crazy for signing him. Isn't it always a no win situation? I'm liking what he brings to our team but am hoping for a lot more. We've been hoping for a lot more for a long time now.

caniac315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:51 AM
DCRedhawk21

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac315 View Post
If you believe the boards, the Caps were wrong for dumping Semin and the Canes were crazy for signing him. Isn't it always a no win situation? I'm liking what he brings to our team but am hoping for a lot more. We've been hoping for a lot more for a long time now.

Yeah, you become accustomed to that feeling when Semin is on the team you root for. Hopefully it turns out differently for you guys than it did for the Capitals (just not when the two teams are playing). He got a raw deal in Washington, as people blew up his flaws (inconsistent scoring, a tendency to take stupid offensive zone pentalties, and what was seen as an aloof and uncommitted personality) and tended to ignore the positives he brought to the team (he was a game breaker, a great possession player, and his defense and PK-ing abilities are wildly underrated). He was always criticized for what he wasn't rather than evaluated for what he was.

DCRedhawk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:52 AM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
I've said this before but I think it merits saying again: Washington suffered from their stars peaking at the exact wrong time. Their offensive stars in Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin, and Green were/are all older than their defensive stars (or stars-to-be) in Carlson, Alzner, and whichever of Varlamov/Neuvirth/Holtby you prefer. The offensive guys peak early, in their mid 20s, while the D and G take longer and it's necessary to find (often inferior) stopgaps until then like your Hamrliks and your Vokouns. So by the time that the defensive guys hit their primes in their late 20s, the offensive stars have already peaked and are on the wrong side of 30.

Obviously this isn't a problem that a GM can fix per se, but it indicates a serious flaw in how the team was constructed. Now the team either needs a late-career revival ala the Sedins or MSL from their offensive stars, or they need guys like Kunetszov (sp?) to provide extremely cheap and extremely effective scoring, because one or the other won't be enough.

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:58 AM
kmart

Send a message via MSN to kmart
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaItalia View Post
So you're a Russian who is upset that the Caps got rid of Russians?

Ok dude.
those russians carried the crapitals, its ok to be upset if u see management has no interest in winning... cash in the sales and dump those greedy russians.

kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:01 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac315 View Post
Yeah everyone laughed at Carolina now it's a great move all of a sudden. Oh, and people were howling over Colorado giving a 1st for Varlamov too.

The problem with the Caps (with or without those trades IMO) is that when AO isn't scoring 50+ it grossly exposes the problems they've always had since he came on: Lack of depth, lack of physicality, and lack of defense. I'm not sure they're the gutsiest team either.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:10 AM
kihei

vCash: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Funny...I was thinking that letting Bruce's run and gun system go was the mistake.
Yeah, me, too. For me the turning point happened when Montreal beat them with a hot goalie in the first round of the playoffs in 2010. That defeat seemed to traumatize the entire franchise and they made a panic move to defensive play when they should just have been patient with the offensive style that they were suited to play. What a waste of a potentially scintillating team.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:20 AM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

When I checked the Caps board, only 3 posters were making a big deal about losing Semin (this was when Carolina signed him back in August).

One of those posters was also one of the best posters on this site overall, and was convinced that Semin would score PPG with E. Staal and lots of PP time.

Well, Semin has been at slightly under PPG pace playing with E. Staaln and the PP has yet to click (like 8% ), so he is correct in that assessment so far.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:23 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipeit View Post
Not for that draft pick, Forsberg might be Semin's replacement as soon as next season.
Oh you mean a proven player over draft picks? Yeah we got screwed didn't we? I will say this though, if we didn't have Varlamov we would be with the Flames right now.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Chukcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Loaded with wingers (Evgeny Kuznetsov, Filip Forsberg, Tom Wilson, Riley Barber, Stanislav Galiev, Chandler Stephenson). Lacking quality scoring centers.

I have read many times Fedorov wanted to stay in D.C. but McPhee was too greedy to give him another 4M contract. He offered just 2M, and Fedorov decided it's better to have these 2M in Magnitka with less taxes and his brother to play with. A little bit later McPhee has began making stupid waste of comparable money on Schultz, Ward, Poti, Hamrlik contracts. All of his next decisions are worse and worse. Ovi's trade is just the end we are coming to, because probably he has been going into panic mode about wasting 9.5M for a 20G scorer.

Chukcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:43 AM
Chukcha

Talking about Semin, i'm always wondering when somebody is calling him a "locker room cancer" and an "ultimate coach killer". How can he be a locker room cancer, if he is shy and even doesn't speak english fluently? What a stupid stereotype about him! Can anyone explain, how to prepare revolution without speaking a necessary language? Pierre McGuire should push his words back into his throat.

Last edited by Chukcha: 02-04-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Chukcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:58 AM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

They're kicking themselves for letting Semin go.

They're kicking themselves for trading Flash (not going to try and butcher his last name) for UFA pylon Scott Hannan.

They're kicking themselves for allowing Federov and Kozlov to go to Russia and not replacing them.

They're kicking themselves for allowing Mike Knuble to age from a great secondary threat to a near useless player.

They are kicking themselves by allowing Brendan Morrison to walk when he provided a decent 1-2 punch behind Backstrom.

But most of all, they are kicking themselves by trying to replace this massive outflux of talent with "grit" and "determination"- useless hockey players who got hot at some point in their careers like Ward, Brouwer and Chimera, or hoping young players like Johnasson and Perreault would step it up to make the difference. Some of the things I mentioned above- Federov and Kozlov running to Russia or Knuble aging- were things that were out of the Caps hands. The problem is that their production was never replaced.

It's a shame- I hate the Caps like any NASCAR loving 'Canes fan, but they used to be so much fun to watch. You were terrified every time they entered the offensive zone that they would score. Now, their team has been horrible mismanaged, and as a result they have had to do a complete 180, which in turn has pissed off the remaining talent they have left.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:07 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

I believe they should've kept him but the fact is Ward, Brouwer, and Wolski all have more goals than he does. And his true replacement (Ribeiro) has 1 more goal and 4 more assists and has finally provided stability at the 2C position.

caps4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:22 PM
toewsintangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Yeah, me, too. For me the turning point happened when Montreal beat them with a hot goalie in the first round of the playoffs in 2010. That defeat seemed to traumatize the entire franchise and they made a panic move to defensive play when they should just have been patient with the offensive style that they were suited to play. What a waste of a potentially scintillating team.
I bet Washington would have beaten the Rangers last year with their Boudreau haagen daz run and gun system like they did earlier.

toewsintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:53 PM
ViD
Arty vs Nash 22:25

vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
That's hard to believe since he's an American citizen and have been more western than Russian for quite some time.
More likely the Caps didn't offer him a decent contract

ViD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:39 PM
Snipeshow

Ovechkin is the problem.

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:11 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
That's hard to believe since he's an American citizen and have been more western than Russian for quite some time.
More likely the Caps didn't offer him a decent contract
My recollection is Fedorov had major tax problems with the IRS due to his business manager screwing him and that's why he went overseas.

billybudd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:16 PM
capitalsrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCantHandleMyRiddum View Post
Lol, you've got to be kidding me. Like I said, you're in denial.

Yeah, right. Semin was the favorite scapegoat of Caps fans and management.

Sure, bud... yet they're an impressive 26th in goals per game. Ovie can't buy a goal to save his life. Backstrom can't generate anything in the offensive zone. Their top scorers are 3rd/4th liners. Ok.

Scoring is not the only problem for them but it's clearly a big problem. They don't have the defence or goaltending to afford not to score goals. That team simply has too many glaring weaknesses.

LOL! Let me pull some stats from an earlier post... Rankings for Sv% and GAA respectively... Holtby? 38th and 39th. Neuvirth? 23rd and 26th. If you ask me, that's absolutely brutal. They're not a good enough team to have average at best goaltending.

10 games into a 48 games season. They're dead last in the East. Second before last in the league. Lol, they're not making the playoffs this year, bro. It's okay though. You'll get a good shot at Seth Jones.
Not going to bother with this nonsense, but defense is our biggest problem and I can't understand how you could possibly think keeping Semin would've helped us there.

capitalsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:16 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

He wasn't the only cap who needed a change.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:39 PM
ViD
Arty vs Nash 22:25

vCash: 520
The Caps remind me very much of the Jackets team a couple years ago:

A low scoring, underachieving star that needs something to spark his game - Nash/OV

A Swedish forward that used to be really good, but not performing now - Backstrom/Huselius

A "supposed to be a top level defenseman" who gradually regressed - Klesla/Green

A very promising young goalie who turned out to be a fail - Mason/Holtby

Too many similarities

ViD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:59 PM
kmart

Send a message via MSN to kmart
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalsrock View Post
Not going to bother with this nonsense, but defense is our biggest problem and I can't understand how you could possibly think keeping Semin would've helped us there.
another undeserved tag along with the coach killer... semins defensive game is above average and has nothing to do with his cold streaks in the offense. no he does not use his body much but he knows wat to do on d.

kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:15 PM
crowi
Registered Plug

Quote:
That's one captain that was traded to make space for Giroux, their new captain.

It doesn't happen very often.
I'm pretty sure the former WSH captain was traded to make room for Ovie to be the captain? I forget names.

crowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:43 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowi View Post
I'm pretty sure the former WSH captain was traded to make room for Ovie to be the captain? I forget names.
clark and jurcina were traded (clark the C). and i dont think he was traded just to make ovechkin captain we did get chimera out of it

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:57 PM
Riddum

Quote:
I replied to your nonsense but you can't reply to my facts. I see how it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart View Post
another undeserved tag along with the coach killer... semins defensive game is above average and has nothing to do with his cold streaks in the offense. no he does not use his body much but he knows wat to do on d.
This. Semin is an excellent all around hockey player. His defensive awareness and positioning is very impressive, especially for a player with such dynamic offensive abilities. I'd take Semin on the Habs before Ovi, all day.

Riddum is offline   Reply With Quote