HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-04-2013, 04:00 PM
  #551
Syckle78
Registered User
 
Syckle78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Redford, MI
Country: Belgium
Posts: 5,555
vCash: 500
Maybe Chicago and Florida...the market is a shrinkin'..

Syckle78 is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:01 PM
  #552
inthewings
Registered User
 
inthewings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
I don't think Toronto is.
Chicago may not be either. I love Luongo and think the team that acquires him is going be better for it, but almost every team is content in goal, and those that aren't have to like their odds of finding a better option than paying top assets for Luongo and his contract. Such is the market for goaltending.

inthewings is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:02 PM
  #553
inthewings
Registered User
 
inthewings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
Maybe Chicago and Florida...the market is a shrinkin'..
I think it would be a big mistake for Florida to acquire him. They aren't going anywhere this year, and have the best goaltending prospect on the planet entering his age-24 season next year.

inthewings is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:03 PM
  #554
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP
 
MillarWithASave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Melbourne, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 4,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewings View Post
So which teams can reasonably be assumed to have interest at this point? Chicago and Toronto?
Why would Chicago either? Crawford has been great for them.

MillarWithASave is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:03 PM
  #555
Wizeman*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Cool, Gillis blew it. So I'm unsure why TOR is still being talked about? Reimer seems good for you guys and so you have no reason to care what happens to Luongo right?


If the interest is nil, situation seems pretty straight forward. Luongo stays in VAN for the time being, which is what we are seeing.
I think this is becoming a Leaf fans myth to jerk canuck fans chains.

The deal was , and I remember hearing it at the time, not months afterwards for giggles.............

Burke offered Luke Shenn to Gillis for Luongo at the draft and he said no. Whether that was Luongo saying no or Gillis is still up for debate.

Wizeman* is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:05 PM
  #556
Ho Borvat
Registered User
 
Ho Borvat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,637
vCash: 500
I was pulling for a Luongo for Kadri + deal during the offseason.

However, now as a fan of both franchises I think it is best to wait to the offseason.

On Vancouver (healthy) there really isn't room for Kadri (even if he is playing outstanding).
I think he could be a very good piece on the 2nd line for Van, but Van can't put him there this year.

It makes sense for both sides to center a deal around Kadri in the offseason for 2 reasons

Toronto - If Kadri plays well, it only improves his value. The question marks around Kadri are starting to disappear, and hes establishing himself as a regular NHL'er. He reminds me too much of Hodgson.

Vancouver - Next year there is a good chance Booth is traded/waived for cap reasons. This opens up a spot on the wing next to Kesler/Burrows (who could use a playmaker).
Vancouver can let Kadri develop in Toronto, and get a chance to develop his NHL game this year, and don't have to go through the process of developing him. They get a more established NHL player.


Toronto maximizes the value of one of their assets, Vancouver gets a more refined NHL player while staying more competitive this year.

Ho Borvat is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:06 PM
  #557
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,332
vCash: 500
Only reason talked has picked up is because of Gillis's recent visit to WSH. That's all. But we hear denials and talk about markets like people know something. Funniest stuff evar.


People can't help themselves from handicapping something they have no clue on.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:07 PM
  #558
Syckle78
Registered User
 
Syckle78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Redford, MI
Country: Belgium
Posts: 5,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewings View Post
I think it would be a big mistake for Florida to acquire him. They aren't going anywhere this year, and have the best goaltending prospect on the planet entering his age-24 season next year.
Oh I agree. There really isn't a fit out there that makes a ton of sense except maybe Chicago. I still and have always thought they have been looking at moving the wrong goalie.

Syckle78 is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:08 PM
  #559
Ho Borvat
Registered User
 
Ho Borvat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
Is anyone on the radar? Seems to me the market = Nil. Vancouver had a shot at Kadri in the summer and it looks like Gillis blew it.
While this could be true....I would say there is a 99% chance that statement is not true.

Ho Borvat is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:08 PM
  #560
inthewings
Registered User
 
inthewings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Only reason talked has picked up is because of Gillis's recent visit to WSH. That's all. But we hear denials and talk about markets like people know something. Funniest stuff evar.


People can't help themselves from handicapping something they have no clue on.
Yeah, imagine a message board with a sub-forum dedicated to the discussion of rumours and potential trades. MADNESS.

inthewings is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:10 PM
  #561
Syckle78
Registered User
 
Syckle78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Redford, MI
Country: Belgium
Posts: 5,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Only reason talked has picked up is because of Gillis's recent visit to WSH. That's all. But we hear denials and talk about markets like people know something. Funniest stuff evar.


People can't help themselves from handicapping something they have no clue on.
You are aware you are doing the exact same thing.....right?

Syckle78 is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:10 PM
  #562
inthewings
Registered User
 
inthewings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
Oh I agree. There really isn't a fit out there that makes a ton of sense except maybe Chicago. I still and have always thought they have been looking at moving the wrong goalie.
I tend to agree.

inthewings is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:10 PM
  #563
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
I was pulling for a Luongo for Kadri + deal during the offseason.

However, now as a fan of both franchises I think it is best to wait to the offseason.

On Vancouver (healthy) there really isn't room for Kadri (even if he is playing outstanding).
I think he could be a very good piece on the 2nd line for Van, but Van can't put him there this year.

It makes sense for both sides to center a deal around Kadri in the offseason for 2 reasons

Toronto - If Kadri plays well, it only improves his value. The question marks around Kadri are starting to disappear, and hes establishing himself as a regular NHL'er. He reminds me too much of Hodgson.

Vancouver - Next year there is a good chance Booth is traded/waived for cap reasons. This opens up a spot on the wing next to Kesler/Burrows (who could use a playmaker).
Vancouver can let Kadri develop in Toronto, and get a chance to develop his NHL game this year, and don't have to go through the process of developing him. They get a more established NHL player.


Toronto maximizes the value of one of their assets, Vancouver gets a more refined NHL player while staying more competitive this year.



If TOR was reticent to deal youth prior to the season starting, I'm unsure they would be in the offseason. Especially if TOR misses the playoffs and draft high again. There's no pressure on them to compete right away.


In the offseason, all bets are off. Team rosters will be in flux and some others, like PHI, may come into the mix. Too many variables to contemplate it with any sense of reason.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:12 PM
  #564
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewings View Post
Yeah, imagine a message board with a sub-forum dedicated to the discussion of rumours and potential trades. MADNESS.

Keep going on about markets like you know something. Did you call Gillis in WSH too?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
You are aware you are doing the exact same thing.....right?


Really? Am I talking about "markets"?

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:12 PM
  #565
SoTzuMe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
Because Luongo is Martin Brodeur, and even ignoring that ridiculous argument, Luongo will physically hold up like Martin Brodeur ?

Even if they are both physical twins, Brodeur logs about 1/10th the travel Luongo does. I doubt Luongo can play at a reasonable level at age 40.
Is there some mysterious correlation between travel and career longevity? Since when has this existed?

SoTzuMe is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:13 PM
  #566
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,284
vCash: 500
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
I'm relying on the sample size of games where Reimer wasn't concussed. It's not that different in size than the one Vancouver is relying on to crown a youngster with the #1 role.

Burke isn't with the team anymore and any inhibitor to acquiring Luongo is a blessing not a problem, long term.
I'm relying on Reimer's total career stats including last year. If you want to dismiss all of last year as being caused by the concussion feel free. The bottomline is that I've heard about how great the Leaf's goaltending is going to be every year for the last decade as one prospect after another gets discarded.
Bad goaltending played a big part in Burke's dismissal. We'll see how Nonis fares. In any event, I'd prefer the 'problem' Gillis has of having two great goalies over Toronto's situation. And apparently you are happy with the Scrivens/Reimer duo so everyone is happy.

vanwest is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:13 PM
  #567
Syckle78
Registered User
 
Syckle78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Redford, MI
Country: Belgium
Posts: 5,555
vCash: 500
I could actually see Philly buying out Bryz and persuing a top goalie.That is of course if Bryz plays the rest of this season and in the playoffs like he did last year. I know I for one would rather have Lu and his contract than Bryz and his...

Syckle78 is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:16 PM
  #568
inthewings
Registered User
 
inthewings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Keep going on about markets like you know something. Did you call Gillis in WSH too?

Really? Am I talking about "markets"?
Right. It's impossible to know for sure who may be interested in any given player. Just shut down the sub-forum. We're too serious for speculation here.

inthewings is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:17 PM
  #569
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewings View Post
Right. It's impossible to know for sure who may be interested in any given player. Just shut down the sub-forum. We're too serious for speculation here.

If I haven't talked about "markets" and I still have something to say, like others who don't talk about markets and still have something to say, maybe just maybe the forums still have a use?... Nah.


Or maybe you should just stick to what you said in bold there, if you don't want to be questioned.


Edit: There's nothing stopping you from going on about the particular teams. But when you've been though as many Lu threads as I have, seeing the "markets" discussion again just seems pointless.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:20 PM
  #570
Syckle78
Registered User
 
Syckle78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Redford, MI
Country: Belgium
Posts: 5,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewings View Post
Right. It's impossible to know for sure who may be interested in any given player. Just shut down the sub-forum. We're too serious for speculation here.
Haha apparently we can speculate on who can be traded for whom but not which teams are interested. Perhaps he just has a really strong disdain for the word 'market'... /shrug

Syckle78 is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:21 PM
  #571
inthewings
Registered User
 
inthewings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
If I haven't talked about "markets" and I still have something to say, like others who don't talk about markets and still have something to say, maybe just maybe the forums still have a use?... Nah.
Literally all I've seen you do is strangely put the word "market" in quotations, tell people their perception of reality is flawed, and deny the fact that you can get a pretty good idea about what teams are interested in goaltending by looking at their current current goaltending situation.

So I'd disagree about you having something to say.

inthewings is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:24 PM
  #572
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewings View Post
Literally all I've seen you do is strangely put the word "market" in quotations, tell people their perception of reality is flawed, and deny the fact that you can get a pretty good idea about what teams are interested in goaltending by looking at their current current goaltending situation.

So I'd disagree about you having something to say.

Read back in the thread for my posts that don't involve yourself (or syckle who made a similar call).


I've told you that your perception is flawed. I've called you out on your interpretations of markets, to which you admitted it is impossible to know. Maybe you're just seeing my posts related to you?


WSH wasn't seriously on the radar before Gillis's visit. Now if they weren't on the radar prior to his visit, and the market looked bleak otherwise, what does that say about the perception of the market?

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:26 PM
  #573
inthewings
Registered User
 
inthewings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Read back in thread.


I've told you that your perception is flawed. I've called you out on your interpretations of markets, to which you admitted it is impossible to know. Maybe you're just seeing my posts related to you?


WSH wasn't seriously on the radar before Gillis's visit. Now if they weren't on the radar prior to his visit, and the market looked bleak otherwise, what does that say about the perception of the market?
You refuse to acknowledge that a team's current goaltending situation provides information as to their likely interest in acquiring goaltending (on a mammoth contract), and you expect me to read back for MORE of your posts?

inthewings is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:29 PM
  #574
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewings View Post
You refuse to acknowledge that a team's current goaltending situation provides information as to their likely interest in acquiring goaltending (on a mammoth contract), and you expect me to read back for MORE of your posts?


The point being you didn't read my other posts. Good job. Yet you make the assertions on your perception of my posts in general (seems strangely familiar)



It does provide information, but can you make a determination based on that information alone? No. Everyone though WSH would run with Holtby until their start happened and Gillis made an appearance. Perception = changed.


His mammoth contract, one that was illegally great prior to the ratified CBA, is now less great. It's still a great circumvention deal that is great in select situations (rich teams) and less great in others (budget teams, but his actually salary is still 7m, comparable to other similar goaltenders).

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:30 PM
  #575
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewings View Post
You refuse to acknowledge that a team's current goaltending situation provides information as to their likely interest in acquiring goaltending (on a mammoth contract), and you expect me to read back for MORE of your posts?
I'm no NHL GM, but I'm not sure they make decisions on 7 game samples.

arsmaster is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.