HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Syckle78

vCash: 500
Maybe Chicago and Florida...the market is a shrinkin'..

Old
02-04-2013, 04:01 PM
inthewings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
I don't think Toronto is.
Chicago may not be either. I love Luongo and think the team that acquires him is going be better for it, but almost every team is content in goal, and those that aren't have to like their odds of finding a better option than paying top assets for Luongo and his contract. Such is the market for goaltending.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:02 PM
inthewings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
Maybe Chicago and Florida...the market is a shrinkin'..
I think it would be a big mistake for Florida to acquire him. They aren't going anywhere this year, and have the best goaltending prospect on the planet entering his age-24 season next year.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:03 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewings View Post
So which teams can reasonably be assumed to have interest at this point? Chicago and Toronto?
Why would Chicago either? Crawford has been great for them.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:03 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Cool, Gillis blew it. So I'm unsure why TOR is still being talked about? Reimer seems good for you guys and so you have no reason to care what happens to Luongo right?

If the interest is nil, situation seems pretty straight forward. Luongo stays in VAN for the time being, which is what we are seeing.
I think this is becoming a Leaf fans myth to jerk canuck fans chains.

The deal was , and I remember hearing it at the time, not months afterwards for giggles.............

Burke offered Luke Shenn to Gillis for Luongo at the draft and he said no. Whether that was Luongo saying no or Gillis is still up for debate.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:05 PM
Ho Borvat

I was pulling for a Luongo for Kadri + deal during the offseason.

However, now as a fan of both franchises I think it is best to wait to the offseason.

On Vancouver (healthy) there really isn't room for Kadri (even if he is playing outstanding).
I think he could be a very good piece on the 2nd line for Van, but Van can't put him there this year.

It makes sense for both sides to center a deal around Kadri in the offseason for 2 reasons

Toronto - If Kadri plays well, it only improves his value. The question marks around Kadri are starting to disappear, and hes establishing himself as a regular NHL'er. He reminds me too much of Hodgson.

Vancouver - Next year there is a good chance Booth is traded/waived for cap reasons. This opens up a spot on the wing next to Kesler/Burrows (who could use a playmaker).
Vancouver can let Kadri develop in Toronto, and get a chance to develop his NHL game this year, and don't have to go through the process of developing him. They get a more established NHL player.

Toronto maximizes the value of one of their assets, Vancouver gets a more refined NHL player while staying more competitive this year.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:06 PM
Bleach Clean

Only reason talked has picked up is because of Gillis's recent visit to WSH. That's all. But we hear denials and talk about markets like people know something. Funniest stuff evar.

People can't help themselves from handicapping something they have no clue on.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:07 PM
Syckle78

Quote:
I think it would be a big mistake for Florida to acquire him. They aren't going anywhere this year, and have the best goaltending prospect on the planet entering his age-24 season next year.
Oh I agree. There really isn't a fit out there that makes a ton of sense except maybe Chicago. I still and have always thought they have been looking at moving the wrong goalie.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:08 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Is anyone on the radar? Seems to me the market = Nil. Vancouver had a shot at Kadri in the summer and it looks like Gillis blew it.
While this could be true....I would say there is a 99% chance that statement is not true.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:08 PM
inthewings

Quote:
Only reason talked has picked up is because of Gillis's recent visit to WSH. That's all. But we hear denials and talk about markets like people know something. Funniest stuff evar.

Yeah, imagine a message board with a sub-forum dedicated to the discussion of rumours and potential trades. MADNESS.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:10 PM
Syckle78

Quote:

You are aware you are doing the exact same thing.....right?

Old
inthewings

Quote:
Oh I agree. There really isn't a fit out there that makes a ton of sense except maybe Chicago. I still and have always thought they have been looking at moving the wrong goalie.
I tend to agree.

Old
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
I was pulling for a Luongo for Kadri + deal during the offseason.

However, now as a fan of both franchises I think it is best to wait to the offseason.

On Vancouver (healthy) there really isn't room for Kadri (even if he is playing outstanding).
I think he could be a very good piece on the 2nd line for Van, but Van can't put him there this year.

It makes sense for both sides to center a deal around Kadri in the offseason for 2 reasons

Toronto - If Kadri plays well, it only improves his value. The question marks around Kadri are starting to disappear, and hes establishing himself as a regular NHL'er. He reminds me too much of Hodgson.

Vancouver - Next year there is a good chance Booth is traded/waived for cap reasons. This opens up a spot on the wing next to Kesler/Burrows (who could use a playmaker).
Vancouver can let Kadri develop in Toronto, and get a chance to develop his NHL game this year, and don't have to go through the process of developing him. They get a more established NHL player.

Toronto maximizes the value of one of their assets, Vancouver gets a more refined NHL player while staying more competitive this year.

If TOR was reticent to deal youth prior to the season starting, I'm unsure they would be in the offseason. Especially if TOR misses the playoffs and draft high again. There's no pressure on them to compete right away.

In the offseason, all bets are off. Team rosters will be in flux and some others, like PHI, may come into the mix. Too many variables to contemplate it with any sense of reason.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:12 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Yeah, imagine a message board with a sub-forum dedicated to the discussion of rumours and potential trades. MADNESS.

Keep going on about markets like you know something. Did you call Gillis in WSH too?

Quote:
You are aware you are doing the exact same thing.....right?

Really? Am I talking about "markets"?

Old
02-04-2013, 04:12 PM
SoTzuMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
Because Luongo is Martin Brodeur, and even ignoring that ridiculous argument, Luongo will physically hold up like Martin Brodeur ?

Even if they are both physical twins, Brodeur logs about 1/10th the travel Luongo does. I doubt Luongo can play at a reasonable level at age 40.
Is there some mysterious correlation between travel and career longevity? Since when has this existed?

Old
02-04-2013, 04:13 PM
vanwest

:
Quote:
I'm relying on the sample size of games where Reimer wasn't concussed. It's not that different in size than the one Vancouver is relying on to crown a youngster with the #1 role.

Burke isn't with the team anymore and any inhibitor to acquiring Luongo is a blessing not a problem, long term.
I'm relying on Reimer's total career stats including last year. If you want to dismiss all of last year as being caused by the concussion feel free. The bottomline is that I've heard about how great the Leaf's goaltending is going to be every year for the last decade as one prospect after another gets discarded.
Bad goaltending played a big part in Burke's dismissal. We'll see how Nonis fares. In any event, I'd prefer the 'problem' Gillis has of having two great goalies over Toronto's situation. And apparently you are happy with the Scrivens/Reimer duo so everyone is happy.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:13 PM
Syckle78

I could actually see Philly buying out Bryz and persuing a top goalie.That is of course if Bryz plays the rest of this season and in the playoffs like he did last year. I know I for one would rather have Lu and his contract than Bryz and his...

Old
02-04-2013, 04:16 PM
inthewings

Quote:
Keep going on about markets like you know something. Did you call Gillis in WSH too?

Really? Am I talking about "markets"?
Right. It's impossible to know for sure who may be interested in any given player. Just shut down the sub-forum. We're too serious for speculation here.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:17 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Right. It's impossible to know for sure who may be interested in any given player. Just shut down the sub-forum. We're too serious for speculation here.

If I haven't talked about "markets" and I still have something to say, like others who don't talk about markets and still have something to say, maybe just maybe the forums still have a use?... Nah.

Or maybe you should just stick to what you said in bold there, if you don't want to be questioned.

Edit: There's nothing stopping you from going on about the particular teams. But when you've been though as many Lu threads as I have, seeing the "markets" discussion again just seems pointless.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:20 PM
Syckle78

Quote:
Haha apparently we can speculate on who can be traded for whom but not which teams are interested. Perhaps he just has a really strong disdain for the word 'market'... /shrug

Old
02-04-2013, 04:21 PM
inthewings

Quote:
If I haven't talked about "markets" and I still have something to say, like others who don't talk about markets and still have something to say, maybe just maybe the forums still have a use?... Nah.
Literally all I've seen you do is strangely put the word "market" in quotations, tell people their perception of reality is flawed, and deny the fact that you can get a pretty good idea about what teams are interested in goaltending by looking at their current current goaltending situation.

So I'd disagree about you having something to say.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Literally all I've seen you do is strangely put the word "market" in quotations, tell people their perception of reality is flawed, and deny the fact that you can get a pretty good idea about what teams are interested in goaltending by looking at their current current goaltending situation.

So I'd disagree about you having something to say.

Read back in the thread for my posts that don't involve yourself (or syckle who made a similar call).

I've told you that your perception is flawed. I've called you out on your interpretations of markets, to which you admitted it is impossible to know. Maybe you're just seeing my posts related to you?

WSH wasn't seriously on the radar before Gillis's visit. Now if they weren't on the radar prior to his visit, and the market looked bleak otherwise, what does that say about the perception of the market?

Old
02-04-2013, 04:26 PM
inthewings

Quote:
Read back in thread.

I've told you that your perception is flawed. I've called you out on your interpretations of markets, to which you admitted it is impossible to know. Maybe you're just seeing my posts related to you?

WSH wasn't seriously on the radar before Gillis's visit. Now if they weren't on the radar prior to his visit, and the market looked bleak otherwise, what does that say about the perception of the market?
You refuse to acknowledge that a team's current goaltending situation provides information as to their likely interest in acquiring goaltending (on a mammoth contract), and you expect me to read back for MORE of your posts?

Old
02-04-2013, 04:29 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
You refuse to acknowledge that a team's current goaltending situation provides information as to their likely interest in acquiring goaltending (on a mammoth contract), and you expect me to read back for MORE of your posts?

The point being you didn't read my other posts. Good job. Yet you make the assertions on your perception of my posts in general (seems strangely familiar)

It does provide information, but can you make a determination based on that information alone? No. Everyone though WSH would run with Holtby until their start happened and Gillis made an appearance. Perception = changed.

His mammoth contract, one that was illegally great prior to the ratified CBA, is now less great. It's still a great circumvention deal that is great in select situations (rich teams) and less great in others (budget teams, but his actually salary is still 7m, comparable to other similar goaltenders).

Old
02-04-2013, 04:30 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
I'm no NHL GM, but I'm not sure they make decisions on 7 game samples.

Closed Thread