HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

National Broadcasters who show biases for/against certain teams

Old
02-04-2013, 11:46 AM
mighty all the way

vCash: 500
I don't care if an announcer is biased, if anyone of us was announcing the game we would be biased even if one of our favorite teams weren't playing. All I care about is if I find their voice annoying. Jim Fox upward inflection drives me nuts every time he finishes talking. It didn't bother my brother until I pointed it out, now it drives him crazy haha. The play-by-play from Boston I hate too, his voice isn't pleasant to hear, maybe just the accent.

But anyways, people hate on Hayward a lot, I know he's a homer, for national broadcasts that is bad, but for Ducks games I like it. He says what I'm thinking haha.

mighty all the way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:49 AM
SirPaste

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty all the way View Post
I don't care if an announcer is biased, if anyone of us was announcing the game we would be biased even if one of our favorite teams weren't playing. All I care about is if I find their voice annoying. Jon Fox upward inflection drives me nuts every time he finishes talking. It didn't bother my brother until I pointed it out, now it drives him crazy haha. The play-by-play from Boston I hate too, his voice isn't pleasant to hear, maybe just the accent.

But anyways, people hate on Hayward a lot, I know he's a homer, for national broadcasts that is bad, but for Ducks games I like it. He says what I'm thinking haha.
I agree that if you're watching your local broadcast its not a big deal if the announcers are homers, most fans like that anyway. National games need to be unbiased though, or at least as much as possible.

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:04 PM
ENuck
ring ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
I remember when I was watching the Sharks - Red Wings series in the POs, Cuthbert didn't seem like he liked Detroit. Like he'd be excited when the Sharks scored, but he'd sound disappointed when the Red Wings scored.

Eddie O. is probably the worst though. Saying "Big Hoss" "Kaner" and "Sharpie" on National TV is just bad. I don't mind him saying those things on the local broadcast, but not national.
This is my biggest pet peeve. Regardless of who the announcer is, they always come off sounding like star struck water boys.

ENuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:08 PM
iPunch
Registered Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca View Post
Maybe it's because the Leafs have stunk since 2004. It's hard not to call a spade a spade sometimes even if it hurts the Leaf fanboys out there. Overall, though, the endlesss hype and coverage our national sports media gives the Leafs, who portray below average to average NHL players as all-stars, makes me vomit.
Glen?

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:14 PM
Kellogs
G'night Sweet Prince

ITT Leafs fans moan that all Canadian national broadcasters are unfairly biased against their team....fans of other fans disagree.

Kellogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:21 PM
stish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
In my opinion Hughson calls Canucks games no differently than he calls non Canucks games. If you dislike the Canucks already you are genetically predisposed to dislike Hughson. It's in your DNA but it's not your fault.
"Take that, Ben Eager!" - Jim Hughson, May 17, 2011. No. No bias at all.lol

stish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:21 PM
MayonnaiseOreo

Doc and Pierre McGuire like to metaphorically jerk off the Penguins on NBC. It's really bad, though Doc also is prett biased towards the Wings. Olczyk is annoying with the Pens and especially Blackhawks.

Jones is usally really objective but he tends to have some slight bias towards the Flyers. Never to the extent of others. I guess Milbury is pretty much a given for the Bruins as well.

MayonnaiseOreo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:27 PM
tony d
The man

Watching a lot of the Sens games on Sportsnet Denis Potvin is pretty biased towards the Sens.

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:29 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

RDS is far and beyond the most biased thing I've ever seen. Gaston Therrien couldn't give Voracek's first name, and thought Erik Johnson was a centre.

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:31 PM
NoShowWilly

Ray Ferraro is Very biased towards Chris Tanev. That is all

NoShowWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:34 PM
The Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
I'd say it is common sense that broadcasters who do national games but also are a team's broadcaster show bias towards that team. For instance when Darren Pang does Blues games on NBC, he sounds like a homer. When Ken Daniels does his occasional game on NBC it is unbearable if it is the Wings. Same with Olczyk and the Hawks.

Imagine if NBC hired Mickey Redmond to do a national game...the other teams fans would probably kill themselves.
Please... Ken Daniels isn't even in the same universe as Edzo when it comes to homerism. That, and he's only called, what, two national games in his career? (and the Wings weren't even playing in those games, iirc)

Mickey, yeah sure he's a homer, but he doesn't ever do national games, unlike Eddie who is inexplicably on NBCSN every single time there is game, its mind blowing.

On a friendlier note, I wouldn't mind seeing Foley get some national calls, guy is classy and pretty fair and if he does have some homerism moments on the local broadcast, its not the obnoxious kind.

The Red Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:36 PM
SteelFish87

NHL network announcers for the last pens/rags game were awfully biased towards the rags and just horrible in general

SteelFish87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:48 PM
Count Von Grabo*

Healey sucks

Count Von Grabo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:00 PM
Tawnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFish87 View Post
NHL network announcers for the last pens/rags game were awfully biased towards the rags and just horrible in general
Not one of Sam Rosen's best performances, but...

... those weren't NHL Network announcers. That was NHL Network picking up the Rangers' MSG Network feed. I didn't find them to be particularly biased unless you meant they were showing most Rangers highlights between plays. Joe M was pretty down on the Rangers in that game.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:32 PM
StellerEller
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 100
James Duthie will take any shot or dig possible against montreal, especially if a tsn panelist says something positive about them, hell find a way to deflate any complement. Its really quite pathetic

StellerEller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:57 PM
a pony

If the Leafs weren't a dumpster fire I'm sure that Leaf fans would change their tune about the alleged bias against them.

How dare the CBC call a bad team bad.

a pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:03 PM
in on the beat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
I think you're not getting it. Southern Ontario is home to over one-third the entire Canadian population. The Leafs bring in by far the most money from commercials of any team. The Leafs not winning means NOTHING. They will always be covered because of massive demand.

TSN isn't showing bias by covering the Leafs, they're using the Leafs for money to pay their bills.
too think we could go a thread without someone from ontario mentioning their population.

5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:15 PM
Cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

vCash: 1269
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishManSam View Post
Healy said Reimer tripped Marchand when Reimer stuck his pad out to make a save. Not one **** was given on the Leafs goal, but the world was coming to an end on the B's no goal. It's actually painful to listen to Healy is so bad.it makes me want to boycott hnic.
Last year he claimed Reimer was faking it when Gionta elbowed him. He went on a long rant about it.

Turns out Reimer had a concision.

Cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:18 PM
Cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

vCash: 1269
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150 View Post
too think we could go a thread without someone from ontario mentioning their population.
I cant recall seeing it happen very often let alone every thread. And in this case it was relevant to the conversation.

Cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:22 PM
Flair Hay

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeycanada87 View Post
HNIC is bad. so much leaf hate. Only decent people are elliot friedman and Kevin Weekes. i do like ron maclean tho he is a pro and one of the best of all time he never shows biases.
Except when it comes to referees.

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:34 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellogs View Post
ITT Leafs fans moan that all Canadian national broadcasters are unfairly biased against their team....fans of other fans disagree.
Yeah because other fans think showing the Leafs the most-being biased. Not true at all.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:35 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150 View Post
There was a legit reason for mentioning it obviously...

Old
02-04-2013, 04:36 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca View Post
Maybe it's because the Leafs have stunk since 2004. It's hard not to call a spade a spade sometimes even if it hurts the Leaf fanboys out there. Overall, though, the endlesss hype and coverage our national sports media gives the Leafs, who portray below average to average NHL players as all-stars, makes me vomit.
Ok so if you agree with me, why are people claiming TSN loves the Leafs?

Old
02-04-2013, 04:37 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoobMoob View Post
Around my house we call Bob Cole "Mr. Toronto" because he clearly hates the habs. No matter who they're playing, Bob Cole gets very excited when the habs are in a bad spot/the other team ties. For example in this weekends Habs/Sens game he spent like 2 minutes in exhilaration over the sens tying it despite the refs waiving no goal.(Yeah, it should have been a goal but the point is how he completely ignored the refs waiving no goal not the merits of the goal itself.) Doesn't matter who it is, Bob Cole hates the habs and it's blatant.

On a side note, I wish Bob Miller/Jim Fox did national games. Best announcers out there IMO.
The ironic thing about this post is Cole is from Newfoundland and grew up a Habs fan.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:40 PM
RogerRoeper*

It's funny, last week, the TSN panel during a game's intermission had a question about what Canadian team could be a suprise and make the playoffs. Darren Pang was the lone vote for the Leafs, and he was laughed at and mocked by the rest of the panel.

Also, the night the Hawks won the cup the front page story on TSN's website was what a loser organization the Leafs were.

That's an example of the big "Exposure" the Leafs get. Yes it's a lot, but it's always negative.