HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Out of town sabres fans.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:17 PM
Sabresfansince1980

vCash: 500
I grew up in WNY and watched games on a black and white tv in my bedroom at age 6, with the sound all the way down so my parents wouldn't know I was staying up. That was 1980. I went to about 5 games a season until moving away in 1997. Now I'm in NC and have used Center Ice since 2006. I go to one game at Carolina every season also.

I'm actually questioning my devotion lately though, because all I end up with is frustration on a regular basis. I really want to use positive energy to be more productive in my days, more so than watching almost every game and chatting here (which leads to more frustration sometimes). I could be cutting down old trees and chopping firewood, or building an electrified fence around my property, but here I am getting ready to watch a losing product in an essentially meaningless game. All in vain hope of this team becoming a legit Cup contender, which is years away...as usual.

I think I want to put my fandom to sleep and have someone wake me up when Ruff is fired and the Sabres are playing a game after Memorial Day.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:42 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieSabresFan View Post
Buffalo native living in Maryland right now. Switched to Gamecenter this year, and am loving it. Can watch on the Xbox, or the computer or the smart phone.:-)

Comcast refuses to provide Center Ice in anything other than SD. Not worth it when I can get Gamecenter in HD.
I didn't have Center Ice when I lived in DC as between work, playing hockey in a couple leagues and season tickets to the Capitals I never had time to watch anything. I picked it up when I moved to San Antonio as I finally had some free time.

Old Navy Goat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:44 PM
wyldthing89

I'm born in Montreal and now live in a small town in Quebec province and Sabres fan since their 1st Stanley Cup run in 1974-1975

wyldthing89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:50 PM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Gamecenter here in FL.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:57 PM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanSince89 View Post
Same. So I'm not the only Sabres fan in Toronto?

Game center + VPN, this year. BSN360 for a few years prior. Still think of banjo music when the Sabres score.
Yup, it's hell when we lose to the leafs

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Prospector74

Grew up in WNY, college in New Orleans, and currently in Oxnard, CA (Navy). Very grateful for Center Ice and for the message board here (don't post much but read quite a bit).

Prospector74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:40 PM
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific

Born in Buffalo, lived in Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, and now Redmond, Washington. Partner's mother is related (through adoption) to the Knoxes.

I had MSG and NBCSN when I lived in Syracuse, but have Game Center now. Haven't missed a game since early 2009. Love Berglund and the Blues, and love the strides that Vancouver and San Jose have made to reach out to certain members of their communities. Watching them with great interest. I've watched probably 20-25 hockey games on game center, and seen every single goal that has been scored through highlights.

CriminallyVu1gar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:35 AM
Wisent42

Sabres fan in Sweden, born and raised. Follow the games via numerous streams with lack of sleep as a side effect. Only seen one game live - last year in Finland. Would love to come to Buffalo and watch some games some day.

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:39 AM
MayDayMayDay

Sabres fan in Champaign/Charleston, IL. I go halfsies on GameCenter with my brother, it's awesome

MayDayMayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

Fantasyland, watching only on choppy internet streams

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:51 PM
SwordsgoneWild

Sabre fan from Palm Beach County, Fl. Started following them during the 96-97 season (plantes goal, Nolans last season,Hasek assaulting writers).

I became a Buffalo fan (Bills,Sabres) because my whole family were Dolphin fans and I despised them. So as a kid I looked around to see who were the Fish's main rival and lo and behold I became a Bills fan (circa 95).

It became only natural for me when I started watching hockey to pick their area counterpart and Hasek was jaw dropping to watch. Plus I have some loose NY ties being I was born in Goshen (only lived there till I was 2 years old though lol).

I usually catch games on Various streams or when the Sabres happen to play the Panthers.

SwordsgoneWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:54 PM
Bosswally

grew up in WNY moved to Tennessee when I was in high school, now the Preds are my 2nd

Bosswally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:31 PM
Rowley Birkin

I'm from England - and have followed the Sabres pretty much from the cup run and 'no goal' which is when NHL was first on terrestrial TV here and this is how I got into the sport (as well as NHL video games).

Buffalo is my adopted US city ever since (even the Bills).

Used to listen to games mainly on radio, then streams a few years later. Back then I was either studying or working in bars so it was no problem to follow the sport. Now days I have to work properly for a living - its difficult to watch/listen to games live and I tend to download and watch them a day or two after the event. This is fine, but unfortunately means I can't really use these forums too often at all due to potential spoilers.

Like everyone else I suppose, one day I would love to visit the US of A (hopefully late next year it might actually happen) and pretty high on my list of priorities would be to watch the Sabres live.

Rowley Birkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:00 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekenneth View Post
I thought I was the only sabres fan in vancouver
There should be a Sabres community club or something so we can whine about the games together!

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:53 PM
JohnnyDrama21
HFB Partner

Buffalo native living in Cleveland, OH. Had DirecTv and the Center Ice Package was only $60 for the year so I did that. Probably Gamecenter for me next year. Did go to the opener the last two years; this year was much more fun than last haha.

JohnnyDrama21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:41 PM
Sabres Fan UK
eh?

Live in the UK, watched by stream for past 3 years until i bought Gamecenter this season. It's great, it means i don't always have to watch live and go to sleep at 3am and i can actually watch the full game at a convenient time.

Sabres Fan UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:51 PM
sabresandcanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
There should be a Sabres community club or something so we can whine about the games together!
I'm from Vancouver as well...Sabres fan since 1987 (Since I was 3 years old).

I have been to every game the Sabres have played in Vancouver since 1998. Loved their last visit, up 3-0 just 7 minutes into the game...

sabresandcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:32 PM
sabresEH

Born in Vancouver. Raise in Kelowna BC(about 4 hours away) but never cheered for the nucks. My cousin played so i always cheered for his team. I was a huge Hasek fan as i pkayed goal back in the day, so when my cousin retired I chose Buffalo as my team and havent looked back.
In high school i would listen to the games on wgr.com. After that i bought centre ice and this year gamecentre. Dont miss very many games. I have been to 4 sabres games. 1 in Calgary and Edmonton and 2 in Vancouver. Had to ride the greyhound for 14 hours both ways to see the sabres in alberta. But it was worth it. 10-2 win in edm. That was a good night.

sabresEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:57 PM
Crazy Tasty

Born in WNY, moved to Philthy 13 years ago, then to Indiana 2 years later.
Center Ice for as long as I can remember.

Crazy Tasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:12 PM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieSabresFan View Post
Buffalo native living in Maryland right now. Switched to Gamecenter this year, and am loving it. Can watch on the Xbox, or the computer or the smart phone.:-)

Comcast refuses to provide Center Ice in anything other than SD. Not worth it when I can get Gamecenter in HD.
Huh ? i have had every game in HD minus the first carolina one ( the only one that wasnt a sabres feed) maybe it's because im stuck in southern hell.

SundherDome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 06:39 PM
Dixon Ward
Fire SOMEONE

born and raised in cattaraugus county, but have been an expat since college. watch games via gamecenter for two years now. used to rely on streams but got tired of the hassle.

Dixon Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:39 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresandcanucks View Post
I'm from Vancouver as well...Sabres fan since 1987 (Since I was 3 years old).

I have been to every game the Sabres have played in Vancouver since 1998. Loved their last visit, up 3-0 just 7 minutes into the game...
Yeah, that was a very exciting game. Tons of storylines too; too bad I can't afford any tickets (why you so expensive, Canucks?!).

Old
02-05-2013, 08:02 PM
SabresFan44

Sabres fan here from Kelowna BC that is 4 hour drive from Vancouver for those of you out East.

Been a fan since the days of Lafontaine Mogilny Hasek in 93 since I was 6, loved the blue logo

SabresFan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:24 PM
Endless Ike

I live in the Albany, NY media market, about a 4 hour drive from Buffalo. For some reason we get Sabres games on one of the random, buried sports channels, even though NYR/NYI/BOS/NJ are closer.

I'm certainly not complaining.

Last edited by Endless Ike: 02-05-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Endless Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:12 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFan44 View Post
Sabres fan here from Kelowna BC that is 4 hour drive from Vancouver for those of you out East.

Been a fan since the days of Lafontaine Mogilny Hasek in 93 since I was 6, loved the blue logo
4 hours? Always takes me 5 hours to get there!

My family goes to Kelowna almost every year in the summer for the wine and fruit picking.