HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Will Flyers pursue Iginla?

Old
02-04-2013, 01:15 PM
ORYX

vCash: 500
Good God I hope not.

The reason this team lacks AHL depth and injury depth is because of all the quick fix type of trades it makes, dealing 1st and 2nd rounders hoping to spark the team etc. it's asset mismanagement at its finest.

This team has ZERO players at ANY position knocking on the door. Those who are borderline (McGinn, Wellwood, Rinaldo, Sestito, Harry Z, Bourdon, Manning, Gus) are all 4th line, bottom pairing potential players. The best we have are currently in Juniors in Nic Cousins and Laughton. Thats IT.

If some team asks for Timonen at the deadline, IMO, you move him. He can bring in a 1st, or a good prospect + 2nd. If you can move Briere (tougher sell with 2 years left after this and a NMC) you should move him as well.

That would free up $12.83 Million against the cap. If you want, try and resign Timonen in the off season for much less, and pursue a scoring Winger and a top Defender in the off season. There arent many defenders, but depending on the return garnered for these players, and if the Flyers retain their 1st/2nd rounders (adding 2 x 1st or 1st + 2nd) you can at that time play with the idea of trading picks/players for a defender etc.

To do it now, with nothing in the bank, and a horrible start would be nothing short of Stupid.

With the loss of Dany and Timonen, plus LTIR Pronger, Flyers would be $20 Million under the cap next season, which is plenty to add a winger or two, and a defender, if available.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:34 PM
22PePe22

Send a message via AIM to 22PePe22
I assume if Iginla goes somewhere it will be to a contender with a cup run this year.

22PePe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:36 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
"Longterm plans? What are those?"

--The Philadelphia Flyers

(I'm only half sarcastic with this.)
Longterm plans = April

If the Flyers want to deal with the Flames, they would be much better off getting Bouwmeester.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:39 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Longterm plans = April

If the Flyers want to deal with the Flames, they would be much better off getting Bouwmeester.
I'd be cool with that. He actually has been putting up some good numbers to start the season. Resurgence or fluke?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:46 PM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

vCash: 50
Panotch is just another washed up newspaperman grasping at straws and clinging on to some notoriety (notice I didn't say relevancy) before his time in the sun disappears faster than a fart in the wind.

I don't want to sound like some douchey elitist Canuck but good God are the Philly beat writers horrible. I know, I know, the downfall of print media, the temptation to sell media time at any cost, the corporate nature of sports broadcasting and coverage nowadays blah, blah, blah but it has to be said just how awful the beat writers are, what terrible hockey knowledge they have and their willingness to poison the dressing room regardless of what scum they're thought of by the greater North American hockey community and fan base.

****** him and the horse he rode in on.

Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:49 PM
TheKingPin

We should be sellers of anything. Not getting a a finals piece for a run.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:26 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Panaccdontno is doing his typical let's throw a few wet socks against a locker and see which one sticks reporting....

While having Iginla on the wing with G would be great the price is not worth it for a short term fix. It would be another Hawerchuck, Zhamnov, etc acquisition. Sick of these trades that kill our future due to giving up picks and prospects especially the latter of which we have only few like Laughton.

Just tank this season (ala Pitt) ..be sellers and unload Timonen and Briere even if they have to pay some salary and then hope we get good draft picks (maybe even a lottery pick) and we get healthy again. Unlock, reload, lock....and load. No gun control going forward!

oh...and PLEASE GET RID OF LEIGHTON!

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 02-04-2013 at 02:34 PM.
FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:37 PM
Garbage Goal

Ignoring cap implications that make this impossible it actually wouldn't be a smart idea unless we were doing well. That way you could make a run at the Cup. Doesn't make sense to acquire a guy going on 36 if we can't make a run at it considering our youthful core.

Also Laughton is our most expendable player at our biggest position of strength. He's our best trade chip for anything. Already have a bunch of guys that can play center in front of him in Couturier, Giroux, Schenn, Briere, and I guess Read.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:40 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Seriously what do you think it would take to get JBo + Iginla?

Couts + Laughton + Some Big Contract + 1st?

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:42 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPRichardsCarter View Post
Seriously what do you think it would take to get JBo + Iginla?

Couts + Laughton + Some Big Contract + 1st?
no thanks

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:47 PM
Ryker

I'd also say "no" to Iginla, even though I think he's still a great player. He'd probably make for a great fit on the first line, or would add to how dangerous the other ones are. But I don't see him having too many good seasons left in the tank, so I'd rather keep the roster as it is and not make moves just to get him. Unless it's something like Briere for Iginla, straight up, then I'd do it in a heart beat.

Ryker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:30 PM
Qyburn

I understand the logic of saying it gives you a better chance to win an eventual championship by standing pat rather than blowing your wad all the time. But I just hope you realize that's never been ownership's philosophy.

The franchise is always looking to improve, and makes it an absolute priority to ice a good team every year. It's why they have such a good historic record and it's why they have such a wide fanbase.

If I had to pick, I'd keep it that way. The meek might inherit the cup, but there's never a guarantee, and either way they're meek half the time. That don't play here in Philly.

Qyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:34 PM
Prongo
Beer

If we trade our first rounder this year for Iggy after this start and injuries, Homer should be fired. I have been a supporter of him also.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:35 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qyburn View Post
I understand the logic of saying it gives you a better chance to win an eventual championship by standing pat rather than blowing your wad all the time. But I just hope you realize that's never been ownership's philosophy.

The franchise is always looking to improve, and makes it an absolute priority to ice a good team every year. It's why they have such a good historic record and it's why they have such a wide fanbase.

If I had to pick, I'd keep it that way. The meek might inherit the cup, but there's never a guarantee, and either way they're meek half the time. That don't play here in Philly.
That's fine but you do realize Snider is going to croak soon and I'm sure he wants another cup before he gets all Flyered up to the pearly gates?

I guess he can be cryogenically frozen like Walt Disney..he's got enough loot.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:22 PM
captainpaxil

id rather see them get kaberle. he addresses an actual shortage and is under contract for another year. hed also semmingly be atainable without sacrificing valuable pieces. were not a rebuilding team but we are a developing one and you dont want to veer too far off course.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:32 PM
TheStroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'd be cool with that. He actually has been putting up some good numbers to start the season. Resurgence or fluke?
I've been following the Flames games so far and it appears to be a resurgence. Hartley plays a much more attacking/puck possession style game which suits Bouwmeester's skillset much more then the ''wait and react'' style Brent Sutter preached. He is skating the puck more and is playing with confidence. I too think that Bouwmeester is a much better pick up for the Flyers then Iggy is.

TheStroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:48 PM
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
I don't think Iginla is what this team needs, though his experience would be helpful.

People already talking about tanking disgust me, though.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:56 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
I don't think Iginla is what this team needs, though his experience would be helpful.

It's not an unrealistic option though. Injuries are starting to really mount of right now. Hartnell is done for 6 weeks, Mez out for an extended time and Simmonds now with a concussion. It's really tough to keep fighting through having two top 6 forwards down and a top 4 defender. We lack a true #1 right now also. If we suffer one more injury on defense, this team might be done. You hope they can turn it around, but will Iggy really help turn this boat around? People just don't want to trade our futures for a player who most likely won't help us win anything with the injuries we have right now.

Old
02-04-2013, 05:03 PM
YuioIklo

They(Hartnell, Simmonds, Mez) will be back for the playoffs, which is all that matters. Maybe some other players will get injured by then, but every team has this risk. We just have to be in the playoffs, and we're far from being out yet.

Old
02-04-2013, 05:04 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
They(Hartnell, Simmonds, Mez) will be back for the playoffs, which is all that matters. Maybe some other players will get injured by then, but every team has this risk. We just have to be in the playoffs, and we're far from being out yet.
With this teams schedule and how often we will play, do you see us making the playoffs with those three players out long term? Honest question.

Old
02-04-2013, 05:07 PM
PayItForward

Quote:
I don't think this team is a Stanley Cup contender with those players and that's how I felt before the season started.

PayItForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:07 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:

Get over it....not like we have any influence. Fact is this team is missing way too much to be a cup contender and just making the playoffs like the sixers have done is a pyrhic victory...

Old
02-04-2013, 05:08 PM
YuioIklo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
With this teams schedule and how often we will play, do you see us making the playoffs with those three players out long term? Honest question.
We could, yeah.

Old
02-04-2013, 05:12 PM
YuioIklo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Get over it....not like we have any influence. Fact is this team is missing way too much to be a cup contender and just making the playoffs like the sixers have done is a pyrhic victory...
I know we don't have any influence (thank god for that), but it's pretty lame when fans almost want their team to lose. The only thing this team needs to contend is chemistry and health, esp. if Bryz stays sharp. We could have both by then.

Old
02-04-2013, 05:27 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
I know we don't have any influence (thank god for that), but it's pretty lame when fans almost want their team to lose. The only thing this team needs to contend is chemistry and health, esp. if Bryz stays sharp. We could have both by then.

See, you and I share a different view of what being a fan is. My idea of being a fan is wanting what is best for my team. My idea of what is best for the team is to win a Stanley Cup. Your idea appears to maybe make the playoffs. If I believe that getting a high first round pick would better achieve my goal of getting the Stanley Cup, then as a fan I can pull for my team to lose because in the long run it is the best option. If you just want to make the playoffs, without caring about winning a Cup anytime in the next ten years then your approach is better. Just as you see me as a "lame fan" I see you as a naive and counter productive one. I see your approach as one that will ensure the team is mired in mediocrity for a long time. Each year you will have to make more and more desperate moves just to make the playoffs. Most, if not all, of recent Cup winners have developed many of their own players. To try and NOT go this route does not make sense, if you want to win a Cup.

I will pull against my team if I think it is in their long term best interest.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote