HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Michel Therrien

Old
02-03-2013, 11:29 PM
1UP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjngo View Post
really happy with boullion this year. what we needed. our transitional game is really good, getting the puck out of our zone.
Well, here's the deal with Bouillon. Our last memory of him was the Dandouillon, before he left for Nashville, where he became an immensely important part of their D corps. I think it says 1 thing - Dandenault was very, VERY bad at defense. It would be like taking the time Brisebois was asked to play in a duo with Christian Laflamme and use that as the basis for his whole career...

Moreover, Therrien knows the guy. He knows what he can, and can't do - and putting players in situations they can thrive in is the mark of a great coach.

So far, Therrien seems to be coaching well in games, too. Line changes are fairly smart, PP and PK choices are overall sound as well. I'm impressed.

You all remember the threads about Guy Boucher, right? A lot of people said, let him go. He'll come back to the Habs after learning a lot, and then he'll be a monstrously good coach. Well, that's what happened with Therrien. Yes, his last year with Pittsburg was bad. When he left Montréal, he didn't leave us with a good memory either. But it seems he learned from it, and now he's doing a lot of things right. He's a fairly young coach, he's not even 50 yet.

Now, we'll see how much of a shelf life he gets. Maybe after he pushed the button too hard, it'll be a good time to bring Boucher back, with his much different style. But for now tough love is what this squad needed.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:54 PM
Habblues

MT continues to impress me......I was hoping to see the Kid line a little more during the first half of sundays game....AND I`ve been soo impressed with our 4th line, I just can`t understand why that line (especially Armstrong) doesn`t get more playing time. Armstrong has a nice shot, goes to the net really well and is responsible D wise.....Come on MT give Colby a chance...He has the ability to get us some dirty goals like we needed last game....

Last edited by Habblues: 02-04-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Habblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:26 AM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by denidd View Post
mt with his team concept looks good this season.

I just worry how fast a tough approach like his with players can backfire after a losing streak?
29 other coaches are in the same boat.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:24 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
He is obviously getting it done. We never get to see how much the assistant/associate coaches matter. But I have to think that good ones working in good relationships with the head make some difference too. Gallant and Daigneault seem sharp in their interviews, anyway.
And their hiring is Therrien's decision, ultimately.

Beyond the actual record, I'm impressed with the change in the system mostly. I love aggressive hockey and the Habs have the tools to have a relentless forecheck. They didn't use it under Martin.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:36 AM
RC51

Just to add some PK to all this. Have you noticed how PK has calmed down his game. sure he moves the puck up but he has passed it up to a forward EVER TIME. You can tell he has had a talk with the coaches. ( don't just take off with the puck because your forwards don't know what you are doing. Until you learn the system just stay back a bit. What is impressing me is that PK is doing exactly what he has been asked to do with no comments. GOOD. Nobody is asking PK to change, just do your fancy stuff when the COACH turned you loose to do so, he will, when he considered it's time for a big push. With more practice time PK will develop a signal to tell his mates what's coming. One mate to drop back to cover for PK while 2 other join his big rush for support.
I remember last year, every time PK made a big charge up the ice he ended up in the zone with NO support as all 4 mates dropped back to cover. Ok it sure was obvious Pk needed practice a well supported charge and not an independent charge alone.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:43 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

A huge positive change to the club with MT.

The ultra-passive system of the last few years...
-Sucked the life out of the Bell Center
-Lowered players' morale
-Always being on the defensive, overburdened our players physically which caused an inordinate number of injuries
-The system was not adapted to our pint-sized lineup
-Required a goalie in top form to have some measure of success
-Shuned all offensive creativity and imagination
-Prioritized skilless vets who knew their role and followed the system over better players.

The most painful anti-hockey aspect of all was watching the Habs protect a 2 goal deficit in the third period, just hoping a couple of fluke counter-attacks might get us back in so we can make it to overtime. Sytem Grade: F.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:20 AM
doc lafleur

MT has done a fine job with the rest of the coaching staff... I think a year of watching this team as really help him design a system that would make them succeed.:yo

doc lafleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:25 AM
HABsurde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
If you're Kaberle how are you supposed to react to hearing that. Eller and Subban's descriptions aren't so great either.
I'm sure Tomas is never missing TLMEP on sunday night and in french, profondeur doesnt mean much. And Eller besoin d'encadrement is probably right and Subban being a challenge is also true, it's not insulting, since PK is Therrin 'Etalon' he needs to tame him, which is a challenge.... it's all good....

HABsurde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:53 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

I still wanna see how he reacts in big games, ex vs teams like Boston when things might get out of hand.

One thing I liked yesterday was that he had to put Eller on the 4th line because Patches was back, and that must have been tough for Eller since he was coming off a 3 point game, but what I liked was he put Eller on the PP with the Gally's.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:23 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
Just to add some PK to all this. Have you noticed how PK has calmed down his game. sure he moves the puck up but he has passed it up to a forward EVER TIME. You can tell he has had a talk with the coaches. ( don't just take off with the puck because your forwards don't know what you are doing. Until you learn the system just stay back a bit. What is impressing me is that PK is doing exactly what he has been asked to do with no comments. GOOD. Nobody is asking PK to change, just do your fancy stuff when the COACH turned you loose to do so, he will, when he considered it's time for a big push. With more practice time PK will develop a signal to tell his mates what's coming. One mate to drop back to cover for PK while 2 other join his big rush for support.
I remember last year, every time PK made a big charge up the ice he ended up in the zone with NO support as all 4 mates dropped back to cover. Ok it sure was obvious Pk needed practice a well supported charge and not an independent charge alone.
I know exactly what you mean and I am also positive they told him to give up the one-man rushes up the ice. And for good reason. You have to move the puck up to forwards already in motion at the blue line to take advantage of the speed they pick up in the neutral zone. If the forwards have to stop and wait at the blue line every time PK rushes the puck in there is zero speed gaining the zone and it's easy to defend against.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:37 AM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABsurde View Post
I'm sure Tomas is never missing TLMEP on sunday night and in french, profondeur doesnt mean much. And Eller besoin d'encadrement is probably right and Subban being a challenge is also true, it's not insulting, since PK is Therrin 'Etalon' he needs to tame him, which is a challenge.... it's all good....
Just because Kaberle doesn't watch it, doesn't mean he won't hear about it. And that's beside the point, is it really hard to say something positive about a guy even if he is just depth. It's expected that he says nice things in that type of question, the fact that he didn't is troubling to me since he saying it to the media and not just behind closed doors.

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:39 AM
cphabs
It complels you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
A huge positive change to the club with MT.

The ultra-passive system of the last few years...
-Sucked the life out of the Bell Center
-Lowered players' morale
-Always being on the defensive, overburdened our players physically which caused an inordinate number of injuries
-The system was not adapted to our pint-sized lineup
-Required a goalie in top form to have some measure of success
-Shuned all offensive creativity and imagination
-Prioritized skilless vets who knew their role and followed the system over better players.

The most painful anti-hockey aspect of all was watching the Habs protect a 2 goal deficit in the third period, just hoping a couple of fluke counter-attacks might get us back in so we can make it to overtime. Sytem Grade: F.
Thank you

cphabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:57 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

It seems like coaches get too much credit when the team is winning and too much blame when the team loses.

This team has faced littler adversity so far this year. Its really tough for us on the outside to judge exactly how well he is doing.

I'm just enjoying the ride and hoping it continues to be relatively smooth

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:00 PM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
It seems like coaches get too much credit when the team is winning and too much blame when the team loses.

This team has faced littler adversity so far this year. Its really tough for us on the outside to judge exactly how well he is doing.

I somewhat agreed.
Clearly, the team philosophy has changed, you can see this in so many ways. If that is because of the coach or managment, we don't really know as fans from the outside. So far, there has been a big difference in the way they play, compared to last year. So I think that's a contribution from the Coach.

The real test is when they start losing, that's when we will get an idea of how the coach reacts, emotionally and strategically

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:30 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post

Honest questions. Do you notice a different style of offense this year?

Do you notice a different style of defense this year?

Do you notice any difference with regard to forechecking?

Or is it the same as last year and we are just getting some lucky breaks?

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:36 PM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

If someone doesn't see this then obviously they do not understand the game as much as they think they do.

disturbedraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:24 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

The puck is definitely moving in the right direction, but Martin never had a defence this good and this healthy. The team looks great, but I think we need more time to understand Therrien's impact.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:32 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Michel Therrien was on Tout le monde en parle yesterday. Guy A Lepage ask him Habs players name and MT needed to answer with one or two word to resume the player. Here are those i remember:

Price: Maturity
Gionta: Leader
Plekanec: Intelligence
Subban: Challenge
Prust: True warrior
Bouillon: Heart and soul
Eller: "Besoin d'encadrement"
Galchenyuk: The futur
Pacioretty: Powerful
Desharnais: Important player
Kaberle: MT started to laugh and answered "Depth"
Diaz: Suprise
Markov: General

I thought it was quite interesting.

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:47 PM
EveryDay

Continue ton bon travail MIKE!!!!!

EveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:15 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
The puck is definitely moving in the right direction, but Martin never had a defence this good and this healthy. The team looks great, but I think we need more time to understand Therrien's impact.
So you're saying that Martin with better defense could have used his smothering system better to keep more pucks out of our net. Grrrreat!

I so don't miss that coach.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:18 PM
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Michel Therrien was on Tout le monde en parle yesterday. Guy A Lepage ask him Habs players name and MT needed to answer with one or two word to resume the player. Here are those i remember:

Price: Maturity
Gionta: Leader
Plekanec: Intelligence
Subban: Challenge
Prust: True warrior
Bouillon: Heart and soul
Eller: "Besoin d'encadrement"
Galchenyuk: The futur
Pacioretty: Powerful
Desharnais: Important player
Kaberle: MT started to laugh and answered "Depth"
Diaz: Suprise
Markov: General

I thought it was quite interesting.
Easy to see what he thinks about Subban and Eller vs the rest.

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:24 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
So you're saying that Martin with better defense could have used his smothering system better to keep more pucks out of our net. Grrrreat!

I so don't miss that coach.
Not that keeping more pucks out of our net is a bad thing, but I'm also saying that he could've used a healthy Markov to put a lot more pucks in the opposition's net.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:30 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Easy to see what he thinks about Subban and Eller vs the rest.
It's fair to say Eller could use some guidance to truly find a niche in the roster if Gally is in his usual spot.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:32 PM
Et le But

Surprised he didn't say for Eller whatever is French for "trade fodder"

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:33 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I think that's very true. See, Therrien is a known players' coach. After last year, and particularly with the young guys that have earned NHL spots this year, I think the players needed someone more likely (than Martin at least, lol) to make the guys feel better about themselves as they start the turnaround process. Having a guy like Therrien installed as coach, who obviously also has great passion for the city/club, and is known to be supportive and conscientious of his players, made sense, but it's great to also see performance leading to results so quickly.

Thing is, I don't think it's the initial impact that Therrien detractors have been commenting on or worrying about since day one. It seems like the concern is more along the lines of exactly how long he's going to be able to "keep them", as they say, or when he might eventually "lose them", or whatever. I'll tell you, though... I'm of the belief that it's just a matter of the players you decide to add to the fold, and I have confidence that Bergevin is a guy who will surround Therrien with the kind of guys he needs. Step one seems so far, so good. It's just a matter of how well that translates into results - not just this year, but every year under Therrien's guidance and Bergevin's management.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote