HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Radical rule ideas you'd like to see

Old
02-04-2013, 03:02 PM
Swervin81
No Honour for Connor

vCash: 500
1. 10 min 4 on 4 OT.

2. At the end of the 3rd or regular season OT period, if it is a tie game or the team trailing by no more than 2 goals has a powerplay and game clock time expires, the game/period will only end once that team loses its man advantage.

Swervin81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:05 PM
Windy River

Win-Loss record only, since the league has now gotten rid of ties (the only reason the 1-2 point system existed in the first place)

Automatic review after goals, like they do in the NFL, the majority will only take a couple seconds to review, and then we can reduce the amount of terrible goal-mouth calls without having to fall back on the "it wasn't a reviewable play" line. A goal is a major event and thus is reviewable and should be reviewed under all circumstances.

Bigger rinks

Make penalties more meaningful. I'm not exactly sure on how to do this, but at present the 2-minute penalty doesn't justify the damage that gets done in alot of cases. There's very little incentive to stop the ridiculous rough tactics we see every game. Maybe eliminate the free icing on the PK ? Or even add 15 seconds of PP time after each icing. Something to make guys think a bit before they plow unsuspecting dude headfirst into the boards.

Windy River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:07 PM
Quarter
Exploding Knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
You had me at "eliminate the shootout" but lost me again at "bring back ties"
The only other option to sort out a winner without a shootout is continuous overtime but that suggestion isn't practical for regular season games.

So you can't have both no ties and no shootout unless you're bringing something else to the table like a swimsuit competition...

Quarter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:07 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarter View Post
The only other option to sort out a winner without a shootout is continuous overtime but that suggestion isn't practical for regular season games.

So you can't have both no ties and no shootout unless you're bringing something else to the table like a swimsuit competition...
Why can't I have both. I want games until 2am

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:10 PM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
A win for a regulation, OT, or shootout win.

A loss for a regulation, OT or shootout loss. You get nothing.

No points.
this x 1000. A loss = 0. simple as that.

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:16 PM
Skraut

If we have to do shootouts, do a minimum of 5 shooters like the AHL does. Then it becomes then it becomes a little less about luck, and a bit more on skill.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:18 PM
90s Hockey fan

Go back to the rules used in the 96-97 season minus the crease rule. Maybe drop the instigator rule as well.

I mean everything. Including the large neutral zone and single ref.

90s Hockey fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:56 PM
SJGoalie32

From least to most radical:

1) Puck goes over the glass in the defensive zone, simply not able to change lines (same as icing) rather than a 2-minute penalty.

The DOG penalty was meant to deter players from simply clearing the puck into the stands to avoid the no-change icing. Expanding the no-change rule to pucks that go over the glass eliminates any advantage versus icing, and it also gets rid of the stupid power play for clearing attempts that inadvertently go into the stands (although blatantly intentional clears into the stand are still penalties, same as ever). I think it's ridiculous that swatting a rolling puck a foot too high into the stands instead of off the glass carries the same punishment as punching someone in the mouth during a crease scrum or drilling someone into the boards from behind.

2) Goaltender leg pads limited to 10" width.....or less.

If 10" pads were plenty of protection for goaltenders all the way through the late 1980's when they were mostly just leather and horsehair, then 10" is way more than plenty of protection for goalies wearing all kinds of new lightweight synthetic materials......and I'd seriously consider shrinking that to 9 or even 8 inches width. Defensemen are regularly dropping down to block shots with their form-fitting shin guards, so it really isn't just about physical protection. And now that teams block shots with such regularity that there's essentially 5 goalies on the ice before the shot even reaches the crease, 11" leg pads are REALLY unnecessary for stopping shots.

3) No more Shootout. No more OTL point. 4-on-4 OT for 10 minutes......winner gets 2 points, loser gets 0, if game is still tied, it's a tie and each team gets one point.

The 4-on-4 OT is seriously one of the most exciting things in the game. So many more scoring chances and back-and-forth play. Maybe teams would might play a little more defensively in OT without the extra point, but I think you really can't be that conservative for that long with that much open ice. At 4-on-4 for 10 minutes, at some point, somebody is going to make a mistake, somebody is get a high quality scoring chance. But no more 3-point games. It's ridiculous that Shootout games are worth more points than regular games.

4) Fighting majors now come with an automatic 10-minute misconduct penalty. So all fighting penalties will now be 15 minutes in the box.

I think it's ridiculous that the penalty for open-ice, bare-knuckle brawling is only slightly longer than the penalty for barely nicking someone with an inadvertent high stick. In every other sports league (and even most other lower hockey leagues) open fisticuffs are an ejectable offense. In the NHL, even the players with the most ice time only miss a shift or two at most. The 4th line goons don't miss any. I just think that's grossly out of whack.

Now listen, I still support the existence of fighting in the NHL as a last resort team policing mechanism, but I still think there should be a tougher (or even just a meaningful) penalty for it. Obviously fighting still occurs even in leagues where it is an ejectable offense, so simply tripling the duration of the penalty won't eradicate it completely.....but I do think it will offer a more meaningful deterrent to needless fighting. For any truly egregious offense or emotional moment that calls for a fight, 15 minutes is still probably worth sticking up for a teammate or oneself.

At the very least, I'd tack on the 10-minute misconduct penalty for any obviously staged fights.

Last edited by SJGoalie32: 02-04-2013 at 04:03 PM.
SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Esq.

Maybe it's not a radical idea, but I think that any player in the penalty box when OT expires shouldn't be permitted to take part in the shootout.

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:07 PM
ScubaSteve*

Player in the penalty box during a powerplay goal against should be given a minus-1.

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:15 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
I don't have the exact numbers to back this up but I think they should kill the shootout and just play 5 on 5 OT till someone scores the winner. 2 points for the winner and 0 points for the loser. basically like they do it in the playoffs, CBC always says something like 70-80% of playoff OT games end in the first 5 minutes because teams don't just defend and play for the shootout or tie they have to go out and win the games. I also think it leads to less OT's overall.

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:24 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Video challenges to ref decisions. 3 per game. 2 min delay of game for poor challenges.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:36 PM
coolboarder

I would like to see NHL adapt the new rule called "Penalty Calls" challenge to have the ref review the missed call for any time in the game. For example: a real bad hit by Keith to Sedin last season in Chicago was 2-minute minor and if a coach can challenge the calls, the ref reviewed the call and upgrade the call to 5 and a game call.

Another example, the coach can challenge the missed offside call. This must be used at least once a game and if the challenge is successful, extra challenge can be used for any other reason.

If a ref missed a call and the coach thought that it should be a penalty, the coach can challenge this and show the ref the replay and let the ref review that play and make its call. We have technology to amend the missed calls and again, this challenge must be used at least once a game.

All three options is equal to two challenge per game with a twist: first failed challenge resulted in a time-out with no penalty providing that they still have the time-out.
Second failed challenge resulted in a two-minute minor penalty for delay of the game.

Sure, this new rule may prolong the game but it should not be more than 2 minutes of your time.

Second radical rule, well, not radical is bring back the 2-line pass offside and lengthen the neutral zone to equal zone as offense zone and defensive zone and bring back the equalization zone for all area in the rink.

Third radical rule is: linesman at the faceoff must drop the puck without any delay.

coolboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:36 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Attempt to injure should be a game and a ten minute major followed by a meeting in NY.

Division winners play seven games to represent the conference in the final.

Mirror the glass. Why not? There was never supposed to be glass, anyway. Hockey used to be a skill game. LOL!

Go to a marginally slower puck construction/material. The puck should be engineered annually, like baseballs are.

Address the helmet/pads issues in a serious manner. Helmets must encapsulate the entire head to be effective. Padding is soft. Hard equipment is weaponry! Witness boxing, nobody ever died in the bare knuckle era.

Put the nets back. Gretzky is retired and doesn't need to hide behind them any more. There was a reason this was a bottle-neck.

Want to stop fighting? Treat it like a crime. Give serious teeth to the penalties. After four fights, a suspension? Stuff like that. You need to do more than make it illegal. It has to be reprehensible. Call it bullying.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:51 PM
ukapu

Not really radical, but teams can choose who they want to take penalty shots. The player who drew the penalty shot gets an assist if a goal is scored.

ukapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:54 PM
in on the beat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
Want to stop fighting? Treat it like a crime. Give serious teeth to the penalties. After four fights, a suspension? Stuff like that. You need to do more than make it illegal. It has to be reprehensible. Call it bullying.
how about no

5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:04 PM
BeerMe

Peewee sized ice.

BeerMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:22 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

All 23 players on each team's active roster on the ice at once. No whistles. 10 pucks in play at all times.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:33 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

i want to see the trapezoid removed. not that radical but still.

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:42 PM
Norm MacDonald

All nets shall be equipped with an automatic trigger. For each goal scored, a bomb will detonate in the opponent's city. Locations of the bombs are unknown to the public.

Norm MacDonald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:58 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
Push the draft to 19 years old instead of 18 years old.

Remove the trapezoid (not very radical though)

10 minutes of 4on4 overtime

If a player misses a penalty shot, there should still be a tripping/interference penalty called to give a 2min powerplay ( Kind of how the NBA has an extra free throw on a clear path foul for those who know a bit of basket-ball.)

Also this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Player in the penalty box during a powerplay goal against should be given a minus-1.
And I hope you're not serious because this is just wrong. Players already take supplements anyways. Steroids are just bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStroker View Post
I'd like to see steroids legalized and be allowed. It would make the game faster, more exciting, and more action packed.

JayKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:03 PM
kook10

Remove the blue lines after 5 mins in OT.

kook10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:04 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
A win for a regulation, OT, or shootout win.

A loss for a regulation, OT or shootout loss. You get nothing.

No points.
Yes.
3 pts - regulation win
2 pts - OT win
1 pt - shootout win.

Any type of loss - no points.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:11 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
1 minute penalty for 2 icings with the same players on the ice.

2 goals to end the PP on major penalties, but the player has to serve the whole 5 minutes.

Immediately execute any fan that complains about the shootout or the bonus (not losers' -- you don't get a point for losing, you get a point for tying the hockey game, and a bonus point for winning a tiebreaking gimmick) point.

3 on 3 OT for 5 minutes, then the shootout.

Any penalty that extends past the end of OT disqualifies the penalized player for the shootout.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:28 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponomega View Post
10 minutes of 4 on 4 OT.
I doubt this is possible for several reasons:

1. The ice is in terrible shape when OT starts. After 5 minutes, it's even worse - the puck jumps all over the place. And you want to double the possible time?
2. tv broadcasts. 5 min OT and shootout puts a limit on their broadcast. 10 minutes of 4 on 4 hockey on terrible ice is just not that appealing.
3. The NHLPA will not be open at all to having their tired, star players skating even more on terrible ice. When the 1st star player gets injured after 8 minutes in OT due to bad ice / exhaustion / cheap shot, imagine the threads.

The OT and SO is set up as good as can be expected right now. No need for change to any of it.

Butch 19 is online now   Reply With Quote