HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What team has the worst cap situation in the NHL?

Old
02-04-2013, 06:11 PM
Virtanen2Horvat
BoHorvat53

vCash: 589
I would say the Canucks and Wild are in some trouble but clearly the Canucks have a bigger issue with cap.

Virtanen2Horvat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:17 PM
The Flin Flon Bomber

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
I think Philly's looks the worst. That Bryzgalov contract is so bad. They'll have to amnesty that baby.
And whom shall they replace him with? Provided last year was an aberration (which only time will tell), the Flyers will need Bryz since their defense doesn't appear to be getting better any time soon. If there was a solid 1st pair D available, I would have no problem allocating Bryz's money to the D and going with a solid enough journeyman in net. Unfortunately I just don't see that happening. Nor do I see Laviollette switching to a more responsible defensive structure.

And Mr. Snider doesn't believe in a rebuilding years, so we can put that thought to bed before its even mentioned.

The Flin Flon Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:21 PM
The Gourmet
Potage Le Magnifique

I wouldn't include the Canucks in this discussion. Edler was the only player that was due for a big raise. Malhotra's and Ballard's salaries will go down, if they are resigned at all. Luongo will eventually be traded. I'm not worried.

Edit

Luongo being traded will make up for the cap going down.

The Gourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:27 PM
VinnyC
Rangers fan I SWEAR

One of Lu or Schneider will be traded and if we can't trade Ballard he's being bought out. Manny is on his way out. None of the fas are due much of a raise if any. Our core is locked up.

No worries.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:32 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
We definitely right against the cap, but with Malhotra, Ballard and Raymond/Booth/Higgins able to be replaced we aren't in such a dire position as some may think.
I think you have to be careful though when analyzing this, and just using the Canucks as an example.

While the is an estimated $15m of cap space in those 4 guys, most of them play significant roles on the team, and they'll need to be replaced. If Malhotra is making $2.5m to be the 3rd line center, and he leaves as a UFA, is there an internal replacement available? Because if not, a cheaper replacement very likely means a significant step back for the team.

Another example would be Timonen. Flyers really need a replacement for him as the #1 dman, so they would need at least the $6m cap hit to replace him, or take a major hit to the blueline. I wouldn't show those cap $'s as available unless there is a cheaper internal replacement.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:45 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flin Flon Bomber View Post
And whom shall they replace him with? Provided last year was an aberration (which only time will tell), the Flyers will need Bryz since their defense doesn't appear to be getting better any time soon. If there was a solid 1st pair D available, I would have no problem allocating Bryz's money to the D and going with a solid enough journeyman in net. Unfortunately I just don't see that happening. Nor do I see Laviollette switching to a more responsible defensive structure.

And Mr. Snider doesn't believe in a rebuilding years, so we can put that thought to bed before its even mentioned.
With the Flyers talent, there's no need to rebuild. But I think if ownership is willing to do it, they should Amnesty Bryz' contract. It's not THAt hard to find a replacement given how he's played.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:58 PM
blinds

Quote:
With the Flyers talent, there's no need to rebuild. But I think if ownership is willing to do it, they should Amnesty Bryz' contract. It's not THAt hard to find a replacement given how he's played.
Right now, however, hes been playing like our best player and more like he did with Phoenix/Anaheim. If he keeps it up there's no reason to amnesty him. With Philly you need to consider Pronger's contract is still on the books because they haven't moved him to LTIR. Timonen's $6M might be gone by next season as well.

blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:06 PM
Devonator

Quote:
I think Philly's looks the worst. That Bryzgalov contract is so bad. They'll have to amnesty that baby.
As a Flyer fan I tend to agree but so far this year, Bryz has been solid...granted, whether that continues remains to be seen...

But personally I would like to see that amnestied along with mayby Brieres contract...and with Kimmo coming off the books this off season, we will be fine......though we are going to have to find a new goalie and a stud defenceman somehow.....

Devonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:37 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
I think you have to be careful though when analyzing this, and just using the Canucks as an example.

While the is an estimated $15m of cap space in those 4 guys, most of them play significant roles on the team, and they'll need to be replaced. If Malhotra is making $2.5m to be the 3rd line center, and he leaves as a UFA, is there an internal replacement available? Because if not, a cheaper replacement very likely means a significant step back for the team.

Another example would be Timonen. Flyers really need a replacement for him as the #1 dman, so they would need at least the $6m cap hit to replace him, or take a major hit to the blueline. I wouldn't show those cap $'s as available unless there is a cheaper internal replacement.
Malhotra is a 4th liner right now, and has been a healthy scratch already this season. He can be cheaply replaced from within by Volpatti. Discounting any returns from a Luongo/Ballard trade, our roster will be something like this next year:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth-Kesler-Burrows
Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen
Volpatti-Lapierre-Weise
Pinnizotto

Hamhuis-Edler
Garrison-Bieksa
Connauton-Tanev
Alberts-Vandermeer

Schneider
Lack

Which gives us about $2mil in cap space after raises.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:10 PM
DJENTLEMAN
INTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gourmet View Post
I wouldn't include the Canucks in this discussion. Edler was the only player that was due for a big raise. Malhotra's and Ballard's salaries will go down, if they are resigned at all. Luongo will eventually be traded. I'm not worried.

Edit

Luongo being traded will make up for the cap going down.
Am I missing something that's in the new CBA?

Ballard is signed for an additional two seasons past this current season. A player's salary divided by length of contract dictates a player's cap hit. If he's bought out, you can't re-sign him.

DJENTLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:26 PM
tyratoku

The Wild really do not have an issue with the cap at all.

For next season, Bouchard(4m), Cullen(3.5m), and Backstrom(6m) are all going to be probably gone. The Wild will, more than likely, begin to bring up some of the highlights of a rich prospect pool next season. There are a bunch of RFA young guys that will probably be signed as well, but I would expect that a few of them are dropped, which will open up another 1-2 million. The Wild have a lot of great prospects coming soon, and won't be offering roster spots to guys who can't do much.

According to Cap Geek, the Wild have 12.8 million in cap space for next season.

The only guys that they really need to re-sign are Clutterbuck(probably 2.5-3 million), Scandella and Falk(probably 1-1.5 million each), and Spurgeon(probably 1.5-2 million).

So, at worst, after signing all of those guys the Wild will still have 7-8 million in cap space next season. Then the season after we've got Setoguchi(3.0) and Rupp(1.5) both probably dropped. Heatley(currently 7.5) is more than likely going to be lowered into the 3.0-4.0 million range.

The Wild really do not have any issues at all. Yes, they are currently underperforming compared to their cap situation right now, but I cannot see significant long term issues.

tyratoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:42 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksrool View Post
I would say the Canucks and Wild are in some trouble but clearly the Canucks have a bigger issue with cap.
all the core are signed

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
Nicklas Jensen ($0.894m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
XXXXXXXXXXX / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Dale Weise ($0.677m)
Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m)

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Alexander Edler ($5.000m)
XXXXXXXXXXX / Chris Tanev ($1.500m)
7d ($1m)

Eddie Lack ($0.750m) Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,290,667; BONUSES: $0. CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $6,009,333

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:50 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukcha View Post
Caps have bad cap situation due to Ovi's albatross contract
I disagree. Blaming one contract on an entire teams cap woes is silly.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 05:38 AM
Yossarian54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unaffiliated View Post
obviously the main questions are:

a) will the FAs return to their teams?
b) at what price?
c) does the team need to sign other FAs to fulfill a need?

Trades/Buyouts:

-Luongo OR Schneider must go

-Ballard OR Booth must go

Free Agents:

-Tanev, Schroeder, Weise and probably Lapierre will be re-signed

-Malhotra may be re-signed on a <1M contract (that is how good he is now)

-One of Raymond OR Higgins will be re-signed.

That is my best guess as it will allow us to carry a 23 man roster, which Gillis seems to like to do.

Lines will look something like

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Burrows-Kesler-Jensen (would bet he plays in the NHL next year)
Higgins/Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen (Schroeder impressive so far IMO)
Malhotra-Lapierre-Weise
Volpatti

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Garrison-Edler
Ballard-Tanev
Alberts-Other Random

Luongo/Schneider
Lack

That roster assumes Booth is traded and Ballard is not, it could very well be the other way around, in fact I would expect it to be. Depending on how much people sign for, the other one of Raymond/Higgins could potentially be retained in place of Malhotra. It will be practically impossible to keep Ballard AND Booth, one must go.

Yossarian54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 06:10 AM
kdfsjljklgjfg

Maybe not right NOW, but after next season, the Rangers are in a bit of trouble. Gaborik, Callahan, Del Zotto, Girardi, Stralman, Boyle, Lundqvist, Biron, and Kreider are all expiring at the same time. There are only 4 players signed through then, with $19m tied up between them.

kdfsjljklgjfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 06:32 AM
JackBauer

Vancouver looks to be the worst. Minny and Philly have chunky contracts coming off the books this offseason on players who don't seem to be as integral to their team anymore. Vancouver, not so much.

JackBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:03 AM
SenzZen
Unsustainable

Rangers will be in trouble soon- although getting rid of Rupp was a start.

SenzZen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:03 AM
Fedorov
Bab Bye Holland Next

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloweture View Post
In the future, the oilers will definitely be having a tough time keeping all their young guns
I think you might be suprised, was said about the Penguins too and they have turned out fine, I think they manage the cap by not letting Crosby have any wingers

Fedorov is online now   Reply With Quote